Previous   Next

Are you satisfied with your health insurance?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 5, 2008

Browse the archives

“I don’t have health insurance. I’m within the 47 million.”

“No. They try to play doctor in managing which prescriptions we choose and they cover very little out-of-network care, so we don’t know if we’re getting the best care or the doctor we need. Health insurance needs to be taken out of the workplace.”

“I don’t have health insurance, so no, I’m not.”

“Yes. I’m on my wife’s plan, which is really good. So I feel pretty safe.”

Related story

Comments

coolmom 6 years, 4 months ago

i used to groan and moan about my coverage it was only a small deductable but heaven forbid you need glasses or meds or any dental stuff and then our teen son got pnumonia and spent 22 days in intensive care where his lung collapsed, he couldnt breathe on his own and his kidneys failed. in order to erradicate the illness they had to get a drug that had to be specially approved. they saved his life and we paid 1500. of the 600 thousand dollar bill. i think the monthly payments and pains that can come with this is so worth a healthy kid and getting to keep our house. counciling services and such suck though.

purplesage 6 years, 4 months ago

I'm satisfied with the day to day coverage and the safety net it provides. However, in certain instances, having used that insurance, I have not been happy. A recent surgery on a family member resulted in being pushed out of the hospital 2 days earlier than the physician recommended. This was due to the "certified" days allowed by the health insurance and the fact that the hospital did not want to deal with the patient for the weekend.

Alia Ahmed 6 years, 4 months ago

I'm very satisfied with my health insurance, I wish everyone could have such great insurance.

jonas 6 years, 4 months ago

xbusguy (Anonymous) says:"High Blood pressure, a trip to the local shrink, and a broken toe is all they need to drop coverage."Is that in your contract? What if you only have 2 out of 3 of those things? ;)

Kat Christian 6 years, 4 months ago

Absolutely NOoooo!! I have this high deductible insurance which is a crock because by the time I've reached the deductible the year has ended and I either lose my chance of seeing a doctor without having to pay out the nose or by the time I have to see one I'm back at having to earn the deductible all over again. At this point I owe about $1,000 in medical bills I'm trying to pay off so I'm avoiding seeing any doctor for any reason until I've paid this off. So really I may have health insurance but I really don't have health insurance. It's really just a formality is all it is. To make the company look good as if they are providing a great benefit. Yeah, right !

ms_canada 6 years, 4 months ago

Azure is right, immediate need means immediate care. It's called Triage. assessment of need. bigdog. the question is "Are you satisfied with your health care insurance? I am satisfied. As a senior I get complete coverage. Now then, I know that there are others in this great country of mine who would have a different answer. I don't have my head in the sand, by any means. In my own family it was a different situation, Without going into details of the ailments, one daughter waited 8 months for an MRI on her hand. The other daughter received one in 2 days her ailment and need more serious. The big problem with any system of universal coverage, too many people run to the doctor for every little sniffle or pain. If anyone has an answer to that problem, speak now. We used to get a statement of our visits to the doctor every 3 months. No more though. My mother would have about 15 visits in any 3 month period. My husband and I together would have about 3 or none in the same time period. There was nothing seriously wrong with mom. She just liked going to the doctor. Who was there to tell her, no, you can't see him that often. What if one of those visits was for something serious.

jaywalker 6 years, 4 months ago

A little advice....Shop around if you don't have the benefit of a group plan. If looking for individual and pre-existing condition is a road block, there are few options. You can find work with a company w/ group plan, and the larger the company the better the plan in general (i.e. Fedex, UPS, Home Depot, etc.). The State of Kansas has inurance for uninsurable's, expensive but a lifesaver for many. Don't know if it's still true, but you can get full coverage at Starbucks for working only 20 hours a week.Most important factors in choosing individual: make sure they guarantee that you can't be dropped for any reason once approved, AND that your rates will never be raised due to use. These are rare provisions, I only know of one company right now that offers such in KS, and that's Mega Life and Health. Big dogs like Blue Cross are major abusers when it comes to dropping coverage and jacking up rates. But the other benefit to Mega is you add riders individually to plan, so you only have to get what you want, not a one size fits all. I'm healthy and hardly use insurance, so my plan has 5k deductible on catostrophic coverage and a testing rider. Drug rider is automatic. Also, network is huge but you can use anyone. I can choose to go to Austria to get brain surgery, my ded. would go up by 1/2 to $7500, but that's it no matter what. Also, Mega has some innovative plans that help you keep costs down and work in concert of keeping premiums down. No, I don't work for Mega :)

Chris Ogle 6 years, 4 months ago

Health insurance is great.... if you don't have any medical problems. High Blood pressure, a trip to the local shrink, and a broken toe is all they need to drop coverage. I fought for mine, and they re-instated, but now I'm afraid to go to the doctor. What fun this game is!

BigDog 6 years, 4 months ago

There are only two ways that you can afford to have nationalized health careEither tax the heck out of the people or ration care ..... or a combination of both. And countries that have high taxes for their health care also have long waiting lists. Research the waiting lists for Canada, England and others to see what systems really provide. Everyone may have coverage but it might be 3-4 months before you can get service, including 18 weeks for psychiatric treatment.

Grundoon Luna 6 years, 4 months ago

Crapna sucks! My employer changed providers at the beginning of the year and it is freakin' terrible. They kept saying, "It's comparable!!" I had to go Inigo Montoya on them . . . . You keepa using that wh-ord ana I donna think you know what it means.

mom_of_three 6 years, 4 months ago

I was upset when our insurance company made us get prescription coverage to go with the health care benefits, because we weren't spending as much on prescriptions than the coverage costs. Then my daughter had a bad appendicitis, and spent a week in the hospital. We paid $200 on a 23,000 hospital bill. No big changes since then, and they have great coverage on glasses, which most of my family needs. Dental insurance bites the big one, as they don't cover as much orthodontia as the kid needs, and a $1500 year max can go pretty quick with a root canal. Our house needs more prescriptions now, and it covers some of them pretty well, so all in all, I am a happy camper. less expensive is always good, but all in all, I am happy.

alm77 6 years, 4 months ago

My husband's employer provides an awesome insurance plan and we love it. Our annual exams are free and for a family of 5, you can't beat the monthly price or low copays. It's been a total blessing and I wish every American could have the insurance we do, most could easily afford it.

gphawk89 6 years, 4 months ago

"I'm very satisfied with my health insurance. It's very comprehensive, with low out of pocket expenses for me. And, I'm incredibly thankful that my employer provides such awesome coverage."I second that. Couldn't say it any better.

George_Braziller 6 years, 4 months ago

I had full life, health, and dental insurance until a month ago when I quit my job after more than 20 years because the stress was slowly killing me. I now have a major medical policy through Coventry that actually covers more than you would expect and costs less than $200 a month. Pretty cheap considering that trip to the emergency room for something big would be WAY more than that.

sourpuss 6 years, 4 months ago

I can't get insurance in most states since I was diagnosed with cancer while overseas. A few states require insurance, so I'll have to move to one of those. Kansas is not one of them, though I grew up in Lawrence and lived there for 27 years.Health CARE and health INSURANCE are not the same thing. Americans should demand better for themselves. Me, I'm thankful I was in a country with universal health care when my cancer was discovered. I didn't have insurance in the US and I don't know if I could have gotten treated down there. At least I didn't have to go into debt for the rest of my life just to get a tumor removed. I am in my early 30s with no history of this cancer in my family. If you think it can't happen to you or your loved ones...

conservativepunker 6 years, 4 months ago

Yup. Very affordable, great co-pay, and I pick my own Physicians. It can be had, one just has to shop around AND DO NOT GO WITH AN HMO, People!!

ms_canada 6 years, 4 months ago

Oh and multi - that bit about the foot washing up on the beach. Feet, 7 of them, have been washing up on the beaches of British Columbia for months now. What the h--- is going on?? Where are the bodies??

average 6 years, 4 months ago

They can raise my rates to absolutely any amount they feel like with a month's notice, based largely on whether it looks like I might need to use it, and no other insurance company has to take me on at any price. So, I'm with xbusguy and too afraid to actually see a physician in the last, um, 12 years now?

acg 6 years, 4 months ago

You betchya! I'm Union and I work for a Union so I'm uber covered. I have a very low yearly fam coverage deductible ($700) and then my everything is covered 90/10 and my scripts are $4/$10. Once I hit $150,000 of bills in one year, though, I'm covered 100%. Thankfully we haven't had that happen, knockonwood. It takes quite a load off of one's mind to know that they're covered with a good policy. Esp if you have kids.

Grundoon Luna 6 years, 4 months ago

BigDog 6 years, 4 months ago

ms-canada,I have personally sat through several presentations at the Kansas legislature by former health ministers in provinces of Canada. Several issues they brought up about the Canadian system is asked below.What about the rationing of health care in Canada? What about the waiting lists to have surgeries?What percentage of your income goes to the government in the form of taxes to pay for this health system?

Flap Doodle 6 years, 4 months ago

When liquor and ammo are recognized as legitimate medical expenses, yes.

ms_canada 6 years, 4 months ago

Satisfied???? Oh yeh!! you bet. what could be better than complete, ya hear me, complete coverage of any and all health complaints and no payment required by any senior citizen in Alberta, coverage which is provided by the government. I have spoken on this forum ad nauseum on this subject and wonder when you Americans are going to demand better health care of your government. I suppose that will be when you all agree on it. I know that some of you don't really want the gov. to control your health care. So the choice seems to be, govenment care or no care. What a choice!!!! For some, that is. The fortunate ones.God bless America with good health, please, Sir.

ms_canada 6 years, 4 months ago

TOB - where are the bodies? We want to know where the bodies are that go with the feet. Only two were from the same person. Very strange. Have you all heard anything about the strange happening, gruesome happening that occurrd on a Greyhound bus crossing Manitoba last week. In the middle of the night a man moved and sat beside a young man in the very back seat. About 10 minutes later he started stabbing the sleeping young man who let out a blood curdling scream. He was stabbed repeatedly with a big Rambo type knife. The fellow in front of them ran to the front to tell the driver to stop and let all the people off. which he did. Thenthe man with the knife proceeded to cut off the young man's head, he carried it to the front door and dropped it in front of the people standing there. The driver disabled the bus so that the man could not drive away and locked the door so that he could not get out. Does that give you shivers and make your hair stand up.I had a thought, not to be too flippant, perhaps that is where all these feet are coming from. A guy with a big Rambo knife. Something is very weird here.

BigDog 6 years, 4 months ago

Azure_Attitude (Anonymous) says:Like none of that tesimony was biased, Dog. Sure, right, they'll bring in folks who don't agree with them to testify.Yeah, don't take the word it from a Canadian who has her own experiences in the system as well as everyone she's related to or knows in that country and just keep following your partisan sources.Immediate needs are addressed immediately, elective have to wait.----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------AzureThough ms_canada seems knowledgeable, she is not the only person from Canada, or other countries for that matter, that I've heard varying opinions of their health care systems. I am sure their former minister of health had his biases about the system.... not a surprise ... but I've also heard other experts speak about the good things in the system ... but they had their biases also just like you seem to have yours. That is why I recommend people do extensive research and reading on the various countries health care systems prior to forming their opinion, keeping in mind most writers have their own biases.And ms_canada is correct about part of the problem with our health system is the fact that so many people go to the doctor for every sneeze and sniffle... then expect insurance to fully cover it. Then later complain when their premiums increase.Oh ... and to answer the question.. I have great insurance coverage, low deductible and low co-pay. Extremely satisfied. As a matter of fact my monthly premiums went down last year.

Grundoon Luna 6 years, 4 months ago

Sounds advice, Dog. Although others may not feel this way, every single Canadian I have ever talked to about the matter has no complaints, and is quite enthusiastic actually, about their health care system. I tend to think more of the satisfaction of a user that someone who kvetches about costs in a system they probably would like to see eliminated so they could enjoy lower taxes.I think the American version of what those countries offer could be far less costsly. We wouldn't adopt a year off for both parents after child birth, or provide state sponsorded child care, etc. and I am sure co-pays will remain to keep the costs down. I am paying as much or more for health care between co-pays and premiums as those folks pay in taxes that goes to support their healthcase system. While they may not have the economy we do, or used to, the health care systems of France, Canada, England, Sweden, are not bankrupting the countries One thing is for sure, something as vital as health care to a countries citizens should not be a for-profit situation no matter if run by the government or insurance companies.I have never bought in to the going to the doctor for every sniffle, blah, blah blah . . . I saw it for what I think it is: The nonsensical rationalization of a corporate schmuck misplacing blame to get buy in to bad changes.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 4 months ago

I'm dissatisfied that I live in a culture so devoid of concern for the basicwell-being of individuals with health concerns that one needs to have health insurance.

Emily Hadley 6 years, 4 months ago

Anonymous user invictus (Anonymous) says: "No I am an illegal imigrant, there isn't even an adress to send bills to, I get paid in cash and send it back to Mexico, I don't pay taxes either. I figure the gringos can pay for my healthcare."Jeez. This "anonymous" poster also declares the following, right here on ljworld:"He (Obama) should hold a town meeting in pakistan for all his terrorist supporters.""The cali (Caifornian) accent? Sounds like an illegal mexican.""I graduated from MU I use it (my diploma) as toilet paper""What we have here is environmentalist and industry conspiring against the average person.""some people people see a pointy nose and Aryan features and they assume you are a conservative, but what else can you expect from small minded Liberial bigots."and"Could someone please explain exactly what "racism" is"Anonymity can only do so much...

ms_canada 6 years, 4 months ago

TOB - thanks, I do hope to have a good time. I am fortunate that my whole family loves folk music and we can be together on the hill. I say on the hill because the whole grounds are on a rather big hill and so the view below is unobstructed. One really great thing about the festival is that when it gets dark, about 10pm, everyone lights up their candles and the view from the lower level is spectacular. just a field of twinkling lights. It gives you a thrill to see it. I am so dang proud of our festival, 20,000 people and never a fight, you can leave your stuff on your tarp, wonder off for an hour or so and come back to find everything just as you left it. Folky people are the greatest. No booze allowed outside the beer garden, bags are searched upon entry, no glass bottles allowed. Great food available from about 20 stands, chinese, korean, mexican, indian, elephant ears, mini donuts. $129 for 4 days of world music. Celtic, cajun, african, australian, danish, polish, you name it. and these musicians come from all over. www.edmontonfolkfest.org find the site map and click on the blue eyes to see pics of the site.

notajayhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

ms_canada (Anonymous) says: "We want to know where the bodies are that go with the feet. Only two were from the same person."Um......how many would you think came from the same person?******Azure_Attitude (Anonymous) says: "Although others may not feel this way, every single Canadian I have ever talked to about the matter has no complaints, and is quite enthusiastic actually, about their health care system."Then you haven't talked to very many.Surveys show that more than half of all Canadians believe they will be the victim of a medical error in a Canadian hospital. And an even bigger majority of nurses and administrators agree with them. And one of the biggest areas where Canadians are dissatisfied is with the limited choices - a very large number want non-medicaid providers to be allowed to offer the services that are restricted to the government-funded providers. And Canadian courts agree, because the restrictions cause waiting periods that are literally killing people.****sarahsmilehawk (Anonymous) says: "But getting sick costs me $25 every time, not to mention the lab work involved in routine exams. Between birth control and adhd medication, I'm paying $60 a month when I'm healthy"Whereas a 'free' national healthcare system would only cost you about 100 times that in taxes.

JayCat_67 6 years, 4 months ago

"Don't know if it's still true, but you can get full coverage at Starbucks for working only 20 hours a week."I knew there was a good reason that 16oz. double mocha latte cost me 8 bucks!

sarahsmilehawk 6 years, 4 months ago

No. I'm on my parents' plan still, so it's nice not to be paying premiums for now. But getting sick costs me $25 every time, not to mention the lab work involved in routine exams. Between birth control and adhd medication, I'm paying $60 a month when I'm healthy. I'd like to get my wisdom teeth removed, which my dentist recommended two years ago, but even with health and dental insurance the surgery is a few hundred dollars and I just don't have it.Heaven help me if I ever get really sick. And the pressure is definitely on to find a good job with an insurance plan before I turn 23 and BCBS kicks me to the curb.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 4 months ago

Have fun at the FF, Ms_C!The only complaints I have w/ my health insurance is that my deductible seems a bit high, but then again, I can go to whatever Dr. I want and not need a referral. Also, a complaint would be that anytime you get injured, they won't pay a dime until they are satisfied that the accident did not happen while at work, or that they can make someone else pay for it. Then there was that one incident where they "forgot" to send us a bill after we spent a great chunk of their money and so we inadvertantly forgot to pay on time and they dropped us faster than you can say "boo." A little bit of crying and begging (on my part) got us reinstated, but still, what @$$holes!

hawklet21 6 years, 4 months ago

A few hundred dollars to have a night in the hospital and my gall bladder removed? Not bad. Plus, the drugs were cheaper. :)

Raymond Munoz 6 years, 4 months ago

This is for all of you that live in Douglas County, are low-income, and don't have dental insurance...The Douglas County Dental Clinic and Health Care Access are offering a Douglas County Free Dental Day on Friday September 19th at the Douglas County Dental Clinic located at 316 Maine St. across from LMH.The event will be on a first come, first served basis and is for low-income (200% of federal poverty guidelines or below), uninsured, Douglas County residents.The event starts at 8am and the last patient will be seen at 3pm. Please expect long wait times!Please call the Douglas County Dental Clinic at 785-312-7770 for more information.

blessed3x 6 years, 4 months ago

My company-provided health insurance is awesome. Very affordable and cover just about everything. Too bad Obama and the democrats will make certain that I don't have it anymore.