Previous   Next

Do you enjoy going to the Renaissance Festival?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 4, 2008

Browse the archives

“I love going. I can still remember riding the elephant when I was little. I try to go at least once a year; sometimes costumes are involved, sometimes not. But I’m really looking forward to going with my friends this year.”

“I haven’t been since I was about 3, but I liked it then, especially those big turkey legs.”

“I’ve been once, and honestly I’d have to say I didn’t enjoy it. That particular genre isn’t my cup of tea.”

“Oh yes, very much. I love the atmosphere, the costumes, people’s attitude, the food. It’s a great time.”

Related story

Comments

PapaB 5 years, 8 months ago

Defender - wow, I'm not a Christian if I make a joke about people who go to RenFest? Lighten up.

bobberboy 5 years, 8 months ago

I always enjoy watching the people having fun. I always go.

Defender 5 years, 8 months ago

"Maybe I should stop going to church every Sunday morning so people will stop stereotyping me as a conservative cookie-cutter Christian."Your comment about Renfest patrons shows just how much of a 'Christian' you are. Apparently you don't know Jesus.

TopJayhawk 5 years, 8 months ago

No, I don't think that they are community theatre rejects. I think they are societal rejects.

TopJayhawk 5 years, 8 months ago

Yes, I just love getting harrased by the near-homeless fools who don't want to get a real job.

logicsound04 5 years, 8 months ago

"I thought the help was rude. Won't be going back, if I can help it."-------------Come on now, give them a break. They are just trying to impart the realism of dealing with people who were trying not to keel over from the Black Death.Just be thankful they didn't "infect" you!

Paul Decelles 5 years, 8 months ago

Ren Fest is great fun so long as you ignore all the anachronisms and idealizations and the Anglophile slant to the festival. It's a great place to take pictures as well.

BigPrune 5 years, 8 months ago

I thought the help was rude. Won't be going back, if I can help it.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 5 years, 8 months ago

Well, I thought I did... until they installed all the ATMs....

beatrice 5 years, 8 months ago

And Fangorn is right. Many working at the Ren Fest aren't Community Theater rejects at all. But then, I'm not sure being accepted for community theater work is that big of an improvement. ; )

beatrice 5 years, 8 months ago

It isn't a real Fest unless Stimpy is included, too.

Lisia 5 years, 8 months ago

I usually go, though I enjoyed it a lot more 10+ years ago (especially when KCAI was still involved)- more arts and crafts, better shows and at least an attempt at historical accuracy. I still like going, it gives me an excuse to dress up in a pretty costume another time than Halloween.

PapaB 5 years, 8 months ago

Everyone Stereotypes ;)I love it how Azure came after me for stereotyping, but went ahead and added her own of living in a parent's basement or not bathing. I completely fall into several stereotypes and have no problem with people calling me out on it. Maybe I should stop going to church every Sunday morning so people will stop stereotyping me as a conservative cookie-cutter Christian.

Ramsfield 5 years, 8 months ago

I went a few years ago.Only thing i enjoyed were the jugs popping out of those old style dresses....Hey, im just being honest.......

Fangorn 5 years, 8 months ago

I love going to Renfest. And I will assert that whoever characterizes the people there as "Community Theatre rejects" speaks from a great well of ignorance on this matter. And as for "everyone pretending to be something they're not", how is that different from the "real" world most of the time? Good Lord! Anyone who graduated from high school experienced that for four years straight. The biggest difference between the "pretenders" at RenFest and the pretenders everywhere else is that they're having fun at the Festival!

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 8 months ago

geniusmannumber1 (Anonymous) says: "By the way, there are stereotypes for a reason."It's true! It's a great time saver for when you absolutely, positively have to judge complete strangers on a tight schedule! I mean, who has time to speak with them? There's mockery to be had!Epic win!!!

Pywacket 5 years, 8 months ago

Went once when the kids were young enough to be enchanted by the jousting, etc. Once was enough for me.Not into fantasy OR atrocious acting. And I thought PapaB's comments were amusing, as were Logic's.

geniusmannumber1 5 years, 8 months ago

logicsound04 5 years, 8 months ago

Sounds like I need to become acquainted with R_I outside of this series of tubes we all enjoy playing on so much.

PapaB 5 years, 8 months ago

Azure - lighten upMy idea of cool and your idea of cool are obviously different. That's right, just go after me because I went to renfest and didn't get a stupid turkey leg. I asked 5 people today if they've gone to renfest and the first thing they say is that the only good reason for going is to get that stupid turkey leg. I think it's great that you enjoy RenFest, but you need to get over the fact that many people don't. By the way, there are stereotypes for a reason.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 8 months ago

logic..Thanks for the visual, I got a good laugh. Good to know you'll be the dresignated diver for your sunken drots! Don't forget to put some hay down on the floorboards, just in case.TOB, good point, we forget our local attractions sometimes.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 8 months ago

"Of course. Where else can you get drunk and throw axes, knives, and stars?" LogicAt R_I's house.

ms_canada 5 years, 8 months ago

I would love to attend your Ren Fest. I have heard and read a lot about SCA Society for Creative Anachronism and the festivals they put on. They sound like a lot of fun and games. I have a niece who has been a part of SCA for the past 15 years and loves it. I will have to look into festivals that could occur in the Edmonton area. Right now I am gearing up for our Folk Music Festival this coming weekend. It is the best 4 days of any year that I spend. There are some great musicians coming from all over the world. If you care to view the line up here is the web site address www.edmontonfolkfest.org.

dandelion 5 years, 8 months ago

Forget the turkey legs. Get a scotch egg or some baklava, there's a lot of good food there. The music is good, the women buxom, and the whole crew is just fun. There are also some good craftspeople there too. The shows are nice, and I like the bird show. You have hawks flying over your head. I prefer going later in the year. One year I went during the opening weekend and fried. Late September or early Oct is the best time to go.

jumpin_catfish 5 years, 8 months ago

Waste of time in my book but it may be fun for other folks.

logicsound04 5 years, 8 months ago

Of course. Where else can you get drunk and throw axes, knives, and stars?Not to mention making a drunken ass of yourself at the joust by being loud and obnoxious enough to make even the actors ask you to "tone it down"Er...I mean...watching a FRIEND make a drunken ass of themselves...yeah, that's the ticket.

coolmom 5 years, 8 months ago

we like it, our sons love the swords and battles and i like the shows, my daughters love the idea and the hubby likes the women with their parts hanging half out actually so do the sons now lol. fun way to spend a couple of hours i think. the beer and turkey legs are a plus as well.

JJE007 5 years, 8 months ago

never been...not opposed...

Boston_Corbett 5 years, 8 months ago

In this heat? Thank god I live in the world of A/C.

Azure_Attitude 5 years, 8 months ago

I have never played D&D, even if I could paint I am sure it would be something other than a unicorn, have never lived in my parents basement or even lived with them since I was an adolescent, I bathe daily, but I will go to the RenFest this year as I do every year in full costume and have an awesome time. I am sure the vast majority of other fest goers would be able to say the same thing.Stick your stereotypes, PapaB, and way to get offended at nothing. Hand just said cool people run it, not the only cool people around run it. I am sure cool people doesn't include you because every statement I've seen you make is pretty uncool and you pretty much sound just like an @$$hole to me. It's time for you to get over the tukey leg episode. Let it go, man, just let it go.

le 5 years, 8 months ago

I like the boobys spilling out of the tops! the only thing better would be if they wore tight short jeans and showed us their moose knuckles! or even if they wore short skirts with no panties and bend over to let us gaze upon the treasure...

Satirical 5 years, 8 months ago

PapaB..."They could have at least given the people in line a warning or started cooking some more."You are forgetting the RenFest workers are suppose to role play as if they live in the Middle Ages where commoners were uneducated. You see, they weren't really incompetent, they were just playing their role ; )

dajudge 5 years, 8 months ago

I like a nice large tankard of ale once in awhile. But not at Renfest. More like, in a nice cool tavern with some haggis and a little blood sausage on the side.

conservativepunker 5 years, 8 months ago

Umm......being in the midst of a bunch of Community Theatre rejects? No thanks.

autie 5 years, 8 months ago

Multi, I actually knew a guy that said it just like that..we had a mutual friend that was into it..they dressed up on weekends and went to the local park for their "tournaments". The guy was a Georgia country boy and had a unique way of sizing things up.

mom_of_three 5 years, 8 months ago

I have went once several years ago. I liked the jousting, but wasn't too enthused about much else. Could have been the fact it was located in the middle of cottonwood and brush, which I was allergic to. My kids went several years in school and they liked it each time. It's not my genre, but I had to go once to see.

jonas 5 years, 8 months ago

My son and I made the mutual agreement to not worry about Ren Fest so much, as he only went so I'd buy stuff for him, and I'm not going to buy it for him. We might go this year just in case its my last year in the area.

beatrice 5 years, 8 months ago

I much prefer the Dark Ages Fest.

bobberboy 5 years, 8 months ago

Feast really sucks I wouldn't go of I got free tickets and it was the last place on earth. I'd much rather just set around and do nothing. Only kidding I think the RenFest is GREAT. Try to go every year if I can. Original_Bob - no, I think it's probably just a general degredation of our society when people can't seem to go and have a little fun.

geekin_topekan 5 years, 8 months ago

Turkey legs=Turkey ham with the bone in,you could eat them cold from the cooler.Nasty.

PapaB 5 years, 8 months ago

"Yay! This is what is so wonderful about Ren Fest: it is usually made up of cool people who love AND understand it."I'm so glad all the "cool" people who Understand it take their time off from playing dungeons&dragons, unicorn painting or highlander swordfighting in the park to visit renfest and do it all there.

angel4dennis 5 years, 8 months ago

I love the RenFest! My brother is really into the genre and on his 2nd year of playing a guard out there. A lot of hard work goes into it and the actors are not paid well if they make any money at all. They do it for the love of the festival and the entertainment for the patrons. It is usually very hot and they are dedicated. If you don't like going, don't go. I will be going at least twice this year with my friends and our kids. In today's messed up society, it is nice to live out a piece of history and culture where life was simpler. It is also fantasy and fun. So those who are going, I hope you have a great time! My clan and I will be there! Hazzah!

PapaB 5 years, 8 months ago

"We just go for the turkey legs."It's the only reason I did go. I get to the front of the line and they say they're all out and need to cook some more. They gave me the choice to wait an hour at the front of the line after waiting in line for 45 minutes. Big disappointment. They could have at least given the people in line a warning or started cooking some more.

ontheotherhand 5 years, 8 months ago

Yay! This is what is so wonderful about Ren Fest: it is usually made up of cool people who love AND understand it. Nothing worse than being around a bunch of people who think Ren Fest should be like Worlds of Fun or the Demolition Derby. Thanks for staying at home if you don't like it.

The_Original_Bob 5 years, 8 months ago

I enjoy reading the responses to this question every year about this time when it is asked.I think we are witnessing the evolutionary process of insectoid sunglasses in action today. These seem to be aerodynamic.

cheer67 5 years, 8 months ago

We get free tickets every year, so it's a way to waste a day.We just go for the turkey legs.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 8 months ago

(Good day to cook eggs on foil on the sidewalk today)

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 8 months ago

autie (Anonymous) says: I kind of like watching them fellers that puts the metal buckets on their heads and then go to whompin each other with these big sticks..--- How Bug-eyed Earl of you!

Dixie Jones 5 years, 8 months ago

i would'nt even go with free tickets.

sunflower_sue 5 years, 8 months ago

I enjoy things like "The Naughty Show" and "Puke and Snot," but that's about it. I'd think about going if I had free tickets.

autie 5 years, 8 months ago

spiderman 5 years, 8 months ago

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 8 months ago

Crossbow rocks!(That man isn't used to chicks accurate with weapons..catches him off guard)

PapaB 5 years, 8 months ago

I loved waiting in line for about 45 minutes for a turkey leg, then they sold the last one to the guy in front of me. Great times! In no way did I enjoy the scenery of many large women stuffed into dresses where they spill out the top. That and I don't enjoy swords, unicorn paintings, and everyone pretending to be something they're not. I'm not usually this negative, but renfest just isn't for me.

spiderman 5 years, 8 months ago

i haven't had good luck with time travel yet.

Flap Doodle 5 years, 8 months ago

I'm having my codpiece reupholstered for this season.

trinity 5 years, 8 months ago

i have absolutely no desire to go to the huzzahfest.

sgtwolverine 5 years, 8 months ago

I haven't been in a long while, but the last time I went ... yeah. Not really my ideal way to spend a day.