Previous   Next

What is your favorite Olympic sport?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 3, 2008

Browse the archives

“I like the long jump, but that’s mostly because I did it in high school. The form they use is really interesting, but I never got that part down.”

“Diving. I think all the flips and turns are fascinating, and the fact that they can make it into the water with no splash is amazing.”

“I like to watch the mile, because I’m good at it and want to see how well the pros can do.”

“I’m more of a fan of the winter Olympics, so I like figure skating. But if I had to choose a summer event, it would be diving.”

Related story

Comments

Sigmund 5 years, 8 months ago

yourworstnightmare (Anonymous) says: "I am partial to the "tank standoff" and the "student massacre", although "internet and media censorship" is right up there, too."I am partial to the 300 meter drown your baby girls in a rice paddy so your one baby is a boy.

dalyn_fager 5 years, 8 months ago

Pants messing, followed directly by running the brown mile down skid-mark row are by far my favorite olympic events.

Multidisciplinary 5 years, 8 months ago

I prefer Ninja Warrior..much better competitions and back to back races...not all the talk and hype. I loved it when the US freerunner won!

mom_of_three 5 years, 8 months ago

swimming, gymnastics, some softball, and track. I used to watch basketball, but I lost interest when the pro's are started playing.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 5 years, 8 months ago

I think they should put "Tag" in the Olympics and bring back "Tug of war".

beatrice 5 years, 8 months ago

javelin catch, or synchronized hide and seek.And yes, Marion, we all know that shooting is an olympic sport. It is the one medal they give out that has a hole in it, right? I'm not a big fan, because either you hit the target in the correct spot, or you don't. It isn't like you can watch the play develop or figure out the strategy as the competition unfolds. It is hit it, or don't hit it. Yawn city. I'd think darts would be more challenging, given the need to at least throw the projectile rather than hold your breath and squeeze a trigger. I understand that shooting takes years of practice and can be fun and mentally challenging to do, but to watch ... not so much. Now, if only they could combine shooting with synchronized hide and seek, then we are talking a team sport worth watching. (It could be paint ball ... no need for real violence.)

spiderman 5 years, 8 months ago

for summer olympicsswimming competitions

Pywacket 5 years, 8 months ago

Gee, it's a toss-up between the 200-meter no-hands kielbasa relay, blindfold archery-in-the-round (last shooter standing wins), and drunk diving for Klondike Bars. I'd hate to miss any of them!

yourworstnightmare 5 years, 8 months ago

"yourworstnightmare: Did you know that by the end the primary people protesting at Tiananmen were actually labor unions, not democracy-minded students, and many of them wanted, and pushed for, a military intervention so they would have good footage to show abroad?"No, I did not know that. This goes against what has been reported by the press. Got some proof?And I suppose labor unions are censoring the internet and media as well?

jonas 5 years, 8 months ago

Marion Lynn 5 years, 8 months ago

Olympic Shooting, of course!Betcha didn't even know there is such a thing!http://www.usashooting.org/

yourworstnightmare 5 years, 8 months ago

autie 5 years, 8 months ago

facing off with the Iron Chef..

prospector 5 years, 8 months ago

also,Beer PongMumbly PegandT-ball, everyone is a winner!

sunflower_sue 5 years, 8 months ago

gymnastics, diving, weight-lifting, soft-ball...OK, I'd be hard-pressed to not watch any of them, but hands-down fav is gymnastics for the summer olympics. I'm a self-admitted Olympic watching junkie and I don't like the spoilers. Meaning: I don't want to hear who won until I get to watch it on TV. My sis calls me up and asks if I heard who did what and I just stick my fingers in my ears and go: "Nuh, nuh, nuh, nuh..." Guess it would be easier to just hang up. :)

dajudge 5 years, 8 months ago

I like the yodelling and bird call competitions.

i_tching 5 years, 8 months ago

The Fosbury Flop just has to be the coolest thing any human being could ever do.

deskboy04 5 years, 8 months ago

I won't watch any of them. Too many human interest stories and not enough of the contest.

Kookamooka 5 years, 8 months ago

I can't believe someone didn't mention gymnastics.