Previous   Next

Would you be interested in taking a pill that gave you the benefits of dieting and exercise?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on August 1, 2008

Browse the archives

“If it supplements the effects of actually putting in the work, then yes. But if it just replaces healthy living, then I don’t think it’s a good idea.”

“I wouldn’t. I’ve never fallen for that type of thing before. Of course, most of them have warnings about increasing your heart rate, but I think it’s a lot more satisfying to rely on your own will power.”

“No. It’s just getting too easy for everyone to be lazy, and making it that much easier is a step in the wrong direction.”

“No. I don’t have an issue with dieting or exercise.”

Related story

Comments

jonas 6 years, 3 months ago

How about a first-person video game where you take a pill that gives you the benefits of diet and exercise? Can we do that, too?

Fangorn 6 years, 3 months ago

I think Soylent Green gives both of these benefits.

killjoy 6 years, 3 months ago

as long as it is taken orally and I wouldn't have to chew it

Topside 6 years, 3 months ago

I would do it once the first round of space chimps took it first to see how it goes. If they don't pull it after a couple of years and it doesn't have fatal side effects....sure. On the flip side I may want to sign up first so when I get ill I can rake in a big class-action payday!

trinity 6 years, 3 months ago

hells yeah i would! :) side effects schmide effects...no sweat weight loss, i'm all about that.

SloMo 6 years, 3 months ago

I think it's a given that there will be side effects. To my knowledge there is only one pill without side effects and that is the placebo.

Trobs 6 years, 3 months ago

Absolutely. If I can eat my Chipotle burrito topped with some Krispy Kream donuts and not have to go run 2 miles after, that would be awesome! We're all gonna die someday anyway right? As long as the side effects aren't like...cancer I think I could live with it.

acg 6 years, 3 months ago

I don't think I'd be interested because they rush crap out onto the market and then discover that it makes people drop dead or go mental or something. Maybe if I watched it work for others for a decade or so and could see what the long term ramifications would be, and it turned out okay, then I'd give it a shot. Otherwise, I'll keep depriving myself of ice cream sundaes and trying to sweat it off like the rest of the world. Except right now of course. Being preggo is like a license to eat whatever you freakin' want. Yay!

Trobs 6 years, 3 months ago

They should've found some fat folks to ask. I bet you'd get different answers on the street.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 3 months ago

I bet the people on the spaceship in Wall-E would have liked that pill.Also, I really, really like the title in the url for today's question: "mos_lazydrug"

dminear60 6 years, 3 months ago

Can I take a pill that will make me younger and rich too?

ms_canada 6 years, 3 months ago

We, humans, are always looking for the easy way to do anything. Tut, tut. Shame on us.As a senior citizen, I can remember so many stupid tricks that were thrust upon us. Once upon a time you could purchase these biscuits, I think they were called Melozets, or something. They were like graham wafers, You ate one, drank a large glass of water and the biscuit was supposed to swell up to 4 times its size and fill your stomach. Well, needless to say, that did not go over very well. A biscuit and a glass of water did not satisfy the desire for a big bowl of ice cream with chocolate sauce topped with a handful of peanuts . Now we have hoodia tea. What next???? This question goes nicely with the one about fast food. Like I said, the easiest way appeals to the lazy gene in us.

beatrice 6 years, 3 months ago

What if you take the pill ... and exercise and eat sensibly? Think about the potential. We could all look like Olympians, and I'm not talking about the folks in tights in Bejing. We could be Gods! I want it, I want it, I want to be a God!!! Look at me, I'm a God!!!!Are delusions of grandeur considered a serious side effect?

sunflower_sue 6 years, 3 months ago

If it gave me the body I had pre-kids, I'd be sorely tempted! Now I just look at my teenager's body and go "Yeah, I used to be like that...before...before...b a b i e s!!!" I was once standing in a (very busy) check-out line when said teenager (then just a wee sprite) hugged me and laid her head on my tummy. Then, in her best grown-up voice, she asked me: "Mom, why are you so squishy?" Everyone giggled. I wanted to crawl under a rock. Ah, but if not for kids, I wouldn't have all of these great memories. (And I'm not that squishy!)

sunflower_sue 6 years, 3 months ago

prospector, David sure has let himself go! Wow! I guess it happens to the best of us.

Fangorn 6 years, 3 months ago

sun_sue: You should have just told her "Actually, that's your fault" and left it at that. (Of course what you spend later for her on therapy could be used now for a top-notch personal trainer!)

fu7il3 6 years, 3 months ago

I'd take it as long as their were no side effects, and you could still excercise without danger. It would be stupid not to.

beatrice 6 years, 3 months ago

Or, what if you could take the pill, never have to worry about diet or exercise ever again, but it shortened you life-span by 20 years. Would you take it then?

alm77 6 years, 3 months ago

Trobs beat me to it. These people already look well within a healthy weight range. But on the other hand, can you imagine being the WOTS guys and trying to ask that to someone who obviously needs to diet and/or exercise?

Sigmund 6 years, 3 months ago

Interested, hell I'll demand medicare provide to me not matter how much it costs and no matter if it is effective and simply pass the bills on to all the college kids voting for National Health Srevices.

Linda Aikins 6 years, 3 months ago

Without looking back....I exercise like a fiend and watch my diet and still can't lose weight. Bring it on!!!