Previous   Next

What is your favorite Mexican dish?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 30, 2008

Browse the archives

“This is really lame, but it’s tacos. It’s like a little corn envelope filled with heaven in delicious meat form.”

“Steak fajitas. My friend suggested it to me, and it was really good so I just keep getting the same thing every time.”

“Cheese enchiladas. I like the chewy texture of the tortilla.”

“Chile rellenos. I like the cheese and peppers combination.”

Comments

geppetto 6 years, 7 months ago

I don't mind Authentic Mexican cuisine. I HATE Tex-Mex with PASSION!

H_Lecter 6 years, 7 months ago

jonas 6 years, 7 months ago

I'm with Brand. Just give me tacos and we're happy. I quite like tacos. In fact, it was the first base measurement I picked out to provide a quantifiable answer to my wife when she asked me how much I loved her. (A question I really cordially detest) So I told her I loved her 798 times more than tacos. Later, it was 12,234 times more than ping-pong balls, because, frankly, I don't give that much attention or affection to ping-pong balls.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 7 months ago

Arroz con pollo is my favorite. Although, we just went to a Mexican restaurant last night, where I had a burrito de carne asada, which was quite tasty a well!

Buggie7 6 years, 7 months ago

Tacos and Sopapillias with honey and chocolate sauce!!!!

trinity 6 years, 7 months ago

benecio del toro(sp?) or andy garcia...although i am not sure if they're mexican or what. but yummmmmmmy. ;)ok, so much for the lady's side of the question; can i answer in reference to food by stating ALL of 'em??? tacos, enchiladas(cheese&onion), rice-ohhhh rice, chilli rellenos....just to name a few!

Frederic Gutknecht IV 6 years, 7 months ago

As long as it's FULL, I'm not picky. I like it all, as long as MSG isn't substituted for culinary skill.

CindiCat 6 years, 7 months ago

Good one "trinity" ;) I will take Antonio Banderas thank you.Any of the Mexican dishes I make are pretty tasty......was taught from the best.....Mi Abuela and Mi Mama. I love red chile with pork.....hotter than hades but delish

Flap Doodle 6 years, 7 months ago

A margarita where the rim of the glass has been salted with the bitter tears of the arugula-munchers who are realizing that Hillary has out-manuvered their hope & change dude.

dminear60 6 years, 7 months ago

Tamales, horchata, margaritas, and Antonio Banderas and Enrique Iglesias

Buggie7 6 years, 7 months ago

Does anyone have a good recipe for Sopapillias. This bug would love you to share!!!

D_Puddy 6 years, 7 months ago

Cheese and onion enchiladas every time. You also can't beat just chips and salsa with a HUGE margarita. Preferrably sitting on a patio with nothing else to do....ahhhh the life.

mom_of_three 6 years, 7 months ago

Back in my home, I used to get quesadillas, but they were just meat and cheese on a crunchy tortilla. Loved them. Cheese quesadillas are pretty good around here, too. But I agree with Puddy - don't know how authentic it is, but chips and salsa with a margarita is a pretty good time.

ms_canada 6 years, 7 months ago

Once in a delightful restaurante in Yucatan I had a to- die -for Pollo con mole poblano served along side a chile relleno. It was a meal to remember. And trinity, Benicio del Toro is indeed a tasty dish no matter he was born.. Antonio and the Iglesias guys (father and son) I believe, are actually Spanish not Mexican, but tasty all the same.

Roadkill_Rob 6 years, 7 months ago

Brand Willis,Awesome answer! I will follow you anywhere.

geppetto 6 years, 7 months ago

"" I HATE Tex-Mex with passion!"great.who frickin cares:.."I guess you do....Thanks for sharing my passion.

BrianR 6 years, 7 months ago

rammy (Anonymous) says: " I HATE Tex-Mex with passion!"great. who frickin cares:..Because Mexican food made by actual Mexicans is better than Mexican food made by angry white teenagers.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 7 months ago

"Because Mexican food made by actual Mexicans is better than Mexican food made by angry white teenagers."Nothing made by angry white teenagers ever tastes any good. It always tastes like privilege, entitlement and ignorance.

gphawk89 6 years, 7 months ago

Chicken Chimichanga. Try the mini-chimichangas at Jose Pepper's in KC. Not chicken, and probably not authentic Mexican, but irresistible nonetheless.

Buggie7 6 years, 7 months ago

I just read throught the posts and someone mentioned pablano. oh making grocery list now. I really am not a huge fan of carlos o kellys hoever when I do go there for family get togethers or whatever I love the suiza con pollo its such a sin I feel that after I have that I should start repenting.Still SOPAPILLIAS ROCK!!!!!

geppetto 6 years, 7 months ago

wait a minute. If I eat "On the border" is that Mexican food or Tex-Mex. I consider that Tex-Mex.Tex-Mex = Sysco Food sold as Mexican food. [Maybe prepared by angry, privilege, entitlement and ignorance White Americans]Southwestern cuisine, as Informed pointed out, is a different thing (I agree). Thank you all for sharing my passion.Viva 5 de Mayo!!! I guess Mexican in Mexico celebrate 4th of July by eating Hamburgers, Hot Dogs, and BBQ. They sing God Bless America!

Jcjayhawk1 6 years, 7 months ago

Tamales, pork burritos, menudo, and beans. Good beans take time and are often overlooked. Also some authentic Mexican food can be very simple dishes and nothing flashy rice beans & tortilla. You're not going to find much sour cream & Margaritas in Mexican restaurant's away from the tourist areas. It really depends on where in Mexico the family comes from. Thats the best thing about Mexican food the variety. Viva la El Matador!!!!!!

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 6 years, 7 months ago

Sorry Cindicat, Antonio Banderas is from Spain, not Mexico, but I agree with you. He's one hot dish.I like more authentic food too. There was a woman in Ottawa, Mrs. Reyes, who sold Mexican food out of her kitchen. You could just call her up and say I need a dozen enchiladas tomorrow. And they were the best enchiladas I've ever had. The had potatoes and peas with roast beef or pork. She also catered weddings. I never passed up a wedding invitation if she was catering it.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 6 years, 7 months ago

Menudo, yeah. Mrs. Reyes made that in Ottawa too. I remember going over there one Sunday and eating a bowl of Menudo, cured my hangover right away (this was in my much younger days of course). She made fresh tortillas right there in the kitchen. The best tortillas I've ever eaten.

Chrissy Neibarger 6 years, 7 months ago

It used to be steak fajitas, but now that's changed to Chicken fajitas. Although, nothing's better than a white corn taco with shredded meat... MAN, I miss poncheros!

redmorgan 6 years, 7 months ago

Menudo after a wild Saturday night. I also love tamales (cabeza, of course) and tripitas.

HootyWho 6 years, 7 months ago

I don't know the spanish for this, but its called "old clothes" very tasty

blahblahblah 6 years, 7 months ago

ropa vieja. It is actually a Cuban dish, but yes, very tasty.

Jaminrawk 6 years, 7 months ago

Chicken tamales. Had the best ever from a street vendor in San Francisco's Mission District. Amazing drunk food.

fu7il3 6 years, 7 months ago

Tamales or Fish Tacos, although you'd think fish tacos were better for you than they are. The XX Fish Tacos at On the Border are loaded with calories.

Ladybug24 6 years, 7 months ago

I quite enjoy chicken chimichangas...espeically from La Parillia and ofcourse queso dip. I think i've mis-spelled some things here...opps.

Buggie7 6 years, 7 months ago

Thanks Multi. Im going to try and google them too. I am sure you are right and they are probably real simple. When my father was alive thats what we always would order at every mexican place we went that had them. Carlos O'Kellys has really good ones and you can ask that the cup of honey and Chocolate sause be served with them.Mrs Reyes the queen of mexican food and what an angel

juscin3 6 years, 7 months ago

Well, since there hasn't been a post on here since 6:30ish, I will go ahead and post mine. My favorite Mexican food is my grandma's home made mexican cooking. Nothing fake. It's all real. She is da bomb!! I am thankful that 1/2 of my heritage is of the Mexican decent. :)

idarastar 6 years, 7 months ago

Smashed Avocado with fresh cilantro and tomato chunks. Is that really Mexican food?I do like burritos, not the traditional burrito though. Substitute meat for seasoned smashed sunflower seed. Add onions, mushrooms, bell peppers, carrots. Wrap up in collard green leaves. Mmmm...raw food tastes so good! :)

Buggie7 6 years, 7 months ago

ahhh Taco Grande and their huge greasy burritos that takes me back to High school lol

storm 6 years, 6 months ago

Anything with chile. Not chili - that's the hamburger/beans stew stuff - McChipotle spells chile wrong. I like green chile especially on homestyle enchiladas.