Previous   Next

Are you good at forming a strong argument?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 26, 2008

Browse the archives

“Sure. I teach persuasion at KU and was on the debate team in college. I also used to coach high school debate.”

“No. I was an art student and didn’t learn a whole lot about it.”

“Not really. I’m a pretty passive guy, so I don’t have much use for it. I never took debate or anything, but I can argue for something I really feel strongly about.”

“Sometimes. I guess it depends how strongly I feel about the topic. If it’s something personal, then yes.”

Comments

JJE007 6 years, 3 months ago

Kind of...In a way...Maybe...Sometimes...I guess...Minds change gradually, no matter how strong an argument. The world is too complex to provide answers like fruit on an ever-bearing tree. Many can agree on basic principles but then the devil comes in (details). We also consciously and somewhat uncounsciously protect the side of bread we have buttered...and we are CERTAINLY almost devoid of education in critical thinking!

mom_of_three 6 years, 3 months ago

Yes, I can be. But according to my mother, I was just good at arguing.

canyon_wren 6 years, 3 months ago

I can usually form a strong argument in my mind and on paper, but presenting it to others is a major problem for me. For one thing, I am a Libra, and though that may not make a legitimate difference (since I am not a big believer in the effect of astrological signs), I do tend to see the sense of both sides of an issue--even those argued here on OTS!--so I can't say that I am very successful at actually taking a stand.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 3 months ago

Nope. But my brother is finishing law school, so if I need a strong argument, I ask him.

jonas 6 years, 3 months ago

I'm wonderfully good at making strong arguments in the style of TV and radio pundits like O'Reilly, Franken, and Hannity. "You're wrong!""No, I'm not going to support that statement, go do your own research!""Shut up! Shut up!! Okay, cut his mic."See, I could get my own show.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 3 months ago

Oh, and quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur.

Tony Kisner 6 years, 3 months ago

I have a few aces in the hole,"I know what you are but what am I""Do NOT!""You can't make me."My favorite, "you think you are better than me?"