Previous   Next

What type of things do you think are hardest on the environment to throw away?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 17, 2008

Browse the archives

“I think the worst are aluminum cans, newspapers and office paper because they’re so easy to recycle. Most of the time it’s out of pure laziness that people don’t.”

“Most types of plastics, rubber and Styrofoam because they’re not biodegradable or at least take a really long time to break down.”

“I know that any kind of batteries and certain types of paint are bad for the environment if you throw them away.”

“Computers, and I don’t think plastics decompose for a long time.”

Comments

Crossfire 6 years, 4 months ago

Do Not Throw Away Easter Candy.The Peeps are gathering in caverns below the land fill and will take over the world.before...I must go. I hear the Evil Yellow Minions. They are just out side...

Crossfire 6 years, 4 months ago

le,Your posting have been thrown away and the enviroment is pist.

Crossfire 6 years, 4 months ago

le,Your postings have been thrown away, and the environment is pist.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 4 months ago

TOB, I meant digital pork products. Should have been more clear.Coffee ain't kicked in yet.BTW,stillhavingawonderfulinternetlife.

Kevin Sontag 6 years, 4 months ago

Ridiculously large sunglasses.Seriously, Megan, if we wanted girls to look like Martin Landau, we would have asked.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 4 months ago

The electronics stuff, but not because of the plastics. Whether or not something is biodegradable is only one small factor. When something is also toxic... then you have something really bad, like batteries and transistors and such.

Ceallach 6 years, 4 months ago

le, some browsers open more than one tab, older tabs or pages that have not been refreshed will not display newer posts. That being said don't forget, being paranoid doesn't mean they aren't really out to get you :) I tried to send you a message through your profile but received a Page Not Found message.

Ceallach 6 years, 4 months ago

It would appear that le has been disappeareded!

Ceallach 6 years, 4 months ago

and then he is back, and then he is gone

Kat Christian 6 years, 4 months ago

Stuff, just stuff. But I'm not lazy. I just don't have anyplace to put this stuff if I sorted it. I have room for ONE trash cantainer in my house and 2 large cans outside. Now I could trash up my yard with several containers and sort through the stuff. I don't know how I'd keep them from getting filled with water when it rains. Too expensive buying plastic tubs and I'd hate to purchase more plastic that is hazardous to the environment. Let me add that I do recyle/reuse plastic milk/water containers instead of throwing them away. Then there is the hauling to the recyle place where it would take me 2-3 trips - my car isn't that big. so that would eat up gas. It is more economical for me to use just ONE container. Out of sight -out of mind. Now I don't litterbug - EVER I will hold onto trash until I find a trash container. Until someone comes up with a cheaper way of doing this I'll participate. Right now I'm trying to afford rent, util, gas and food. I don't have the time or money to worry about trash. Besides I'm just one person already juggling alot.

HW 6 years, 4 months ago

le,I was having troubles a few days back. My problem was that the ljw site kept shutting down my browser. Sombody suggested that I remove and re-install Adobe Flash Player. It seems to have worked for me thus far. Hope that helps. If it is a conspiracy, take 'em out at the knees.

JJE007 6 years, 4 months ago

Respect for the diversity of life and living systems. TOO LATE!~)

sweetd 6 years, 4 months ago

le, I see every one of your comments - no idea what you are talking about with them not being there.

HW 6 years, 4 months ago

It looks like all of le's comments have disappeared now. Has he actually been disapperded? Speaking of that, what happened to right thinker and scenebooster? Haven't seen them around for a couple weeks.

jaycat 6 years, 4 months ago

Ie The man is messing with you! I thaught you were over reacting until a few minutes ago. I read your last comment about your sister doing landscaping. I hit the refresh button and you were gone, but few more showed up. Tear em a new one Ie.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 4 months ago

I love it when a landfill comes together.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 4 months ago

I don't see le. Definitely disappeardeded. The ljw has been shutting my browser down, also. Today is the first on this link, though. I had been trying (days ago) to read all of the articles on the Haake story and it shut me down everytime. I thought maybe it was a police conspiracy.Environment: Plastic cod-pieces. The leather ones biodegrade and the metal ones can be remelted.

Ceallach 6 years, 4 months ago

le mentioned that he had sent a message to LJW, guess someone didn't like what he had to say. Hopefully in the near future we will have a new poster with the user name el.

dajudge 6 years, 4 months ago

Aluminum pie pans. I re-use them. It's easy,just wash them out and use them again tomake another pie. Until you accidentallypoke holes into them when cutting the pie.After that happens, you have to crinkle themup and use them to clean the bbq grill.

HW 6 years, 4 months ago

Multi,Where do you find the users list at? That would be good to see. Does anybody have an answer on rt and sb.

ms_canada 6 years, 4 months ago

I imagine there are a lot of things that pollute the environment when just sent to the rubbish tip. But the worst thing that is thrown away is the conscience of some folk. In my house we recycle just as much as is humanly possible and in my city that is a lot. We can recycle just about everything that we no longer use. But it astounds me when I see some of my neighbours who do not recycle a single thing. Everything goes in the garbage and that is a sign of an 'I just don't give a darn" attitude. Shame on you. Shame, shame.

editor 6 years, 4 months ago

Hi -- we did some work recently to cache comments more smartly so that each page view doesn't make a huge database hit; and we suspect that the changes we made to comment list caching might be the cause of what folks are experiencing.Our programmers are investigating, and thanks to everyone for describing what they're seeing.

H_Lecter 6 years, 4 months ago

Kenny G & Micheal Bolton CDs

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 6 years, 4 months ago

Disposable diapers!!! Cloth diapers just aren't that much more work. You should only use disposable if you are traveling with baby.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 4 months ago

"Kenny G & Micheal Bolton CDs"H_L wins. Would Yanni fit in that list, too?(If you read the biography on Yanni's site, you'll come away believing that he is the Most Amazing Person Ever To Walk On The Face Of The Earth. http://www.yanni.com/biography.asp)

sunflower_sue 6 years, 4 months ago

sgt, did you seriously go to Yanni's website? raises one eyebrow questioningly

dajudge 6 years, 4 months ago

Oh poop! le is gone again and I need to get a tattoo.What to do, what to do?First he/she was there, then he/she was gone.I don't know what to think.Dog is dislexic.it might be that the dark energy was found.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 4 months ago

sue, I did. But I did it all for you.

KsTwister 6 years, 4 months ago

Plastic, we have an island twice the size of Texas in the Pacific made up of it.

trinity 6 years, 4 months ago

odd. my computer at work does that bumping me off thing, when i try to read the ljw-hence, no snarky posts lately. but here at home, no problem-0 homer! how very weird. but-home computer i use firefox, work use internet explorer...hmmm!hardest on the environment to throw away? those little cellophane thingies from the top of my ciggie package. ever try to shake one o' them boogers off???

trinity 6 years, 4 months ago

yup i think you mean the flint. i'm a zippo kinda girl, myself. my eldest child, for some reason, just loves the smell of zippoes! if i could find another cat like our beautiful little calico girl, callie-i'd have another in a heartbeat. coyotes got her. :(

Dixie Jones 6 years, 4 months ago

ex husbands.......... or wives for that matter