Previous   Next

Would you rather have a garage sale or go to one?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 14, 2008

Browse the archives

“I’d rather have one. The less junk I have in my house the better. I’m not much for holding on to things.”

“Neither. I don’t ever go to them, and I’ve never had one. I guess I just don’t have any stuff I need to get rid of.”

“Go to one, most definitely. Having one is a lot of work. I’ve spent an entire Saturday tagging hundreds of articles of clothing.”

“Go to one, because I’m looking to accumulate more stuff rather than get rid of any.”

Comments

Dixie Jones 6 years, 4 months ago

i would say go to one , but i am having one this upcoming weekend... and your right it is alot of work,

geppetto 6 years, 4 months ago

I'd have one if LJWorld ad was not so expensive.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 4 months ago

Shelby speaks the truth -- it's far more fun to go to one. Less profitable for sure, but less work and more fun.

oldvet 6 years, 4 months ago

Hold one, for sure... it is amazing what other people will buy if you price it right... and all of those $1 items add up to nice pocket change after a good day or two... my mother would always price things based on what she (or her cronies) thought it was worth, and she would hold that price right up to the end. She always thought that I priced things too low but I try to price things based on what I think they will sell for and at the end of the sale, she usually had half of her stuff left to put away and I would have less then 10% left. I'm trying to get rid of my clutter so that my kids don't have to spend weeks emptying out my house when I am gone...

ohjayhawk 6 years, 4 months ago

I'm quite fond of my garage. So, I don't know that I'd ever have a garage sale. I might go to one to pick up a spare sometime, though.

mistygreen 6 years, 4 months ago

Actually I do both, it is a great way to get rid of stuff you no longer use. I also find some good bargains. You have to be really careful in Lawrence though, as I feel that some tend to price their items on the high side. I can go to Topeka or other locations and find really good bargains and not be paying for someone else's overpriced trash.

coolmarv 6 years, 4 months ago

I go to garage sales so I have stuff to put in my sale. Really I enjoy both. Not a worthy enough topic to pick which is better though. We price our items dirt cheap. I keep about 5% of what we don't sale but we are looking to get rid of the junk or clothes the kids (or parents) have out grown, so we price it to sell. We price 90% of our clothes at $.25. New or used. It just makes it easier than figuring of what cost what.

jonas 6 years, 4 months ago

Depends on how much stuff, if any, I have to sell, I suppose.

JJE007 6 years, 4 months ago

I think it you add up your time/expense in putting on a garage sale, then you will realize you've lost money on the deal. Have at it, though. I like to go to them. I've had a few, too, but didn't like that at all! You work for days and get to have dinner downtown for your effort. Hmmm...Did you every notice that many people seem to simply be selling what they bought at last summer's garage sale?~)------------------------------FUN little garage sale-a human being can embark upon fewmore worthless endeavors than the putting onof a garage sale...dressing ones lawn with their refusehaggling over pennies with hags nhuge hubby tummy grumps...then sweeping up sad lifedepositing it with sad armiesrun on good will hunters and dumpsters...buying a burger with their daysof sweatand foolishness...beautiful...financial rapegood will meeting greedwhere the cars sleep deaf and dumb...----

ms_canada 6 years, 4 months ago

I hope spring is the right time for a sale as I am planning one in the near future. I have a ton of stuff to sell. I dare not go to another sale as I have toooooo much stuff to rid myself of. But I must say that I did enjoy going to sales be they yard or garage. And I picked up a lot of very useful articles at both yard sales or flea markets. Like when I was putting a bathroom in my lake cottage I got a really good sink with taps attached for $35 I then set that sink into an old dresser that I picked up at a flea market for $70 and I had a unique and beautiful vanity. Ask ceallach what she thought of that.

dminear60 6 years, 4 months ago

Is neither an appropriate answer?

dajudge 6 years, 4 months ago

I'd rather not be involved in garage sales. But one time, our block had one,so, I figured we would participate. Each home on the block had their own, sopeople could go from house to house. I decided to sell everything for $1.I made a crockpot of sausage gravy and baked some biscuits, made some doughnutsand sold a plate of b&g for $1 and 2 donuts for a dollar. I made half my money on the food. Oh, and kids got their donut for free. It really helped a family moving herefrom out of town. They got a dining table for $1 and each chair was $1. The microwaveI had fixed for $15, they got for $1. The Schwinn stationary bike--$1. Got rid of a lotof things I wanted to get rid of and had some fun and didn't have to do alot of worktagging.

mom_of_three 6 years, 4 months ago

Have had a couple of garage sales in my life, and have been to a few, looking for specific items. I furnished my first appartment in college from items from garage sales (and if I would have kept some of those items, i would be better off.)Had grandparents who LOVED garage sales. I remember their first microwave when i was a kid, when microwaves were in their infancy, and they never bragged about it (and they worked very hard for it). But when they found a deal at a garage sale, they would tell you about it during each visit.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 4 months ago

I'll save my words and just say: "What Py said!"Anymore, though, I either take stuff to Goodwill or if it's something big, I'll freecycle it.I do enjoy browsing garage sales if I have nothing better to do.

hawklet21 6 years, 4 months ago

I would prefer to dumpster dive... It's always free and usually anonymous.

JJE007 6 years, 4 months ago

hawlet21,Dumpster diving is, technically speaking, illegal but I agree that it's a brilliant choice for subsidizing the enterpri$ing undermoneyed individual$ who riddle our world!~) I, personally, love it.I ain't no knowing ape but it seems like there should be days in our weeks when people ought to be given free reign to curb and dumpster scavenge!

1wetwilly 6 years, 4 months ago

I love Lawrence, even the garage sale junk is more expensive.