Previous   Next

Are you relieved to hear that Bill Self is going to stay at KU?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 11, 2008

Browse the archives

“Definitely relieved. I thought he may have already accomplished his goals here and be looking to move on to build up another program at his alma mater. I was certainly worried about it.”

“Yeah. I knew that he wouldn’t go. We have such a rich tradition, we sell out every home game and we’re a top five basketball team every year; whereas Oklahoma State is more in the middle.”

“Yes. I’m extremely relieved, because he’s such a great coach and with what happened with Roy Williams and Larry Brown leaving for more money, I was a little concerned.”

“Yeah, but I knew he would all along. I didn’t think he’d leave with all KU has to offer. There’s more tradition here, and we just won the championship. So I didn’t see any way he was going to leave.”

Comments

snoozey 6 years, 8 months ago

I am every bit as relieved as I when Roy announced he was staying.

acg 6 years, 8 months ago

I never had a doubt that he intended to stay, so I wasn't nervous about it.

jonas 6 years, 8 months ago

It would have really sucked to have him leave just as he erased all the doubters that, up till the 2 wins in the Final Four, had nothing good to say about him at all, ever (remember the days?). But here he can build up the program and his legacy, and when he decides to move 10 years down the road to rebuild a new program somewhere else, he can leave this one in the capable hands of Danny Manning and everything will be just fine. It was definitely the wise choice to stay. You can take all kinds of money, but it's harder to put a dollar value on other things.

H_Lecter 6 years, 8 months ago

It gives Turg an extra couple of years to hone his skills.

tonythetiger 6 years, 8 months ago

What is today's date? Oh, well uh... Bill Self you know what I am saying?Yeah, uh... hey Beavis... huh...huh...huh...huh...huh.As Freddy Mercury says, "Get on your bikes and ride."Bicycle... Bicycle... I want to ride my bicycle. I want to ride my bike.Yea great. I think that is great that he is coach and staying and all. I like to play tennis though? Anyone for Tennis? Wouldn't that be nice?Do you think I could get a scholarship for biking at KU?Anyone know?

dminear60 6 years, 8 months ago

Thank you Bill Self for staying at Kansas, making Lawrence your home now, and not dragging this out any longer. I am not sure why anyone ever doubted his staying...he said from the beginning that he did not have any plans to leave.

Ken Miller 6 years, 8 months ago

If I was part of Jayhawk Nation, I'd be more worried that Sweet Lew will be leaving in the next year or two. That's the guy who has turned this thing around, and I'll bet it isn't going unnoticed by the likes of Texas, Miami, Michigan, etc. If the LJW actually wanted to practice investigative journalism, why not check on the contracts of ADs at those and other big-name schools and see which is ripe for a change at AD.

N8iveSooner 6 years, 8 months ago

Relieved? I guess so, now we don't have to hear the whining jayhawks bad mouth Bill Self. LOL

West 6 years, 8 months ago

Het Oscarfactor, you are giving Lew way too much credit. Lew wasn't at KU when Bill Self and Mark Mangino were hired.

Ken Miller 6 years, 8 months ago

But Lew WAS/IS at Kansas when both of those coaches started enjoying major success. It takes $$$$ to create a successful program on a scale with the Michigans, Ohio States, Texas...and Lew has been able to rake it in.I mean, seriously - do you think if Al Bohl was still the AD that we would even be having this conversation?

sgtwolverine 6 years, 8 months ago

Wait, he's not coming to Ann Arbor to coach Michigan basketball? Hmph.

gphawk89 6 years, 8 months ago

Remember right after the '88 tourney win when Brown announced he was staying?Remember when Roy announced he was staying?Bill's announcement means nothing...