Previous   Next

Are you relieved to hear that Bill Self is going to stay at KU?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 11, 2008

Browse the archives

“Definitely relieved. I thought he may have already accomplished his goals here and be looking to move on to build up another program at his alma mater. I was certainly worried about it.”

“Yeah. I knew that he wouldn’t go. We have such a rich tradition, we sell out every home game and we’re a top five basketball team every year; whereas Oklahoma State is more in the middle.”

“Yes. I’m extremely relieved, because he’s such a great coach and with what happened with Roy Williams and Larry Brown leaving for more money, I was a little concerned.”

“Yeah, but I knew he would all along. I didn’t think he’d leave with all KU has to offer. There’s more tradition here, and we just won the championship. So I didn’t see any way he was going to leave.”

Comments

Multidisciplinary 6 years ago

T_O_B, you should paint that picture of Homer, full size right in the middle of your garage door!At Christmas, you can paint a Santa hat on him.

cool 6 years ago

does this mean that Perkins is leaving ?

gphawk89 6 years ago

Remember right after the '88 tourney win when Brown announced he was staying?Remember when Roy announced he was staying?Bill's announcement means nothing...

sgtwolverine 6 years ago

Wait, he's not coming to Ann Arbor to coach Michigan basketball? Hmph.

Ken Miller 6 years ago

But Lew WAS/IS at Kansas when both of those coaches started enjoying major success. It takes $$$$ to create a successful program on a scale with the Michigans, Ohio States, Texas...and Lew has been able to rake it in.I mean, seriously - do you think if Al Bohl was still the AD that we would even be having this conversation?

prospector 6 years ago

TOB, check last night "Moment of Truth" blog that will never end.

West 6 years ago

Het Oscarfactor, you are giving Lew way too much credit. Lew wasn't at KU when Bill Self and Mark Mangino were hired.

BABBOY 6 years ago

Yeah. I do not about relieved because he made it clear he was staying. But, he signed a long term concept and seems to understand he has a good thing going and does not want to screw it up. I think our prior coach seems to have figured that out as well.But, if you like KU basketball, this is a good thing.

The_Original_Bob 6 years ago

Pros - Your link is dead. Where shall I witness Girlfriend's self-loathing?

prospector 6 years ago

TOB, speaking of vast space, I see girlfriend finally admits to being Nick and is considering dissapeareding himself. Odds? I don't think revisionists, book sales, and rivercity are enough to keep those nine fingers busy. Oh, and the serious hit the google count will take.

le 6 years ago

People like LEW are the reason why the money involved in the sports world is getting out of control! The world today seems to believe benjamins do grow on trees! It turns my stomache knowing how many people struggle on a daily basis to keep the wolves (Bankers,Debt collectors)at bay! All the while these people in sports are laughin all the way to the bank! I have no problem letting the world know how I feel about the greedy sports turds! But becuz I have to make a living in this town I have to protect my anonymity....

The_Original_Bob 6 years ago

Prospector -You led me to a forbidden spot in the vast space of the interwebs.

N8iveSooner 6 years ago

Relieved? I guess so, now we don't have to hear the whining jayhawks bad mouth Bill Self. LOL

Ken Miller 6 years ago

If I was part of Jayhawk Nation, I'd be more worried that Sweet Lew will be leaving in the next year or two. That's the guy who has turned this thing around, and I'll bet it isn't going unnoticed by the likes of Texas, Miami, Michigan, etc. If the LJW actually wanted to practice investigative journalism, why not check on the contracts of ADs at those and other big-name schools and see which is ripe for a change at AD.

dminear60 6 years ago

Thank you Bill Self for staying at Kansas, making Lawrence your home now, and not dragging this out any longer. I am not sure why anyone ever doubted his staying...he said from the beginning that he did not have any plans to leave.

acg 6 years ago

I never had a doubt that he intended to stay, so I wasn't nervous about it.

The_Original_Bob 6 years ago

I never really thought he was going anywhere, so relieved isn't the word. Just satisfied that we have a coach that handled the entire situation correctly throughout the week leading up the Final Four, the Final Four, and was smart enough to put this whole thing to be 3 days after the championship even though they haven't come to terms on a contract. Smart guy, that Bill Self.

H_Lecter 6 years ago

It gives Turg an extra couple of years to hone his skills.

jonas 6 years ago

It would have really sucked to have him leave just as he erased all the doubters that, up till the 2 wins in the Final Four, had nothing good to say about him at all, ever (remember the days?). But here he can build up the program and his legacy, and when he decides to move 10 years down the road to rebuild a new program somewhere else, he can leave this one in the capable hands of Danny Manning and everything will be just fine. It was definitely the wise choice to stay. You can take all kinds of money, but it's harder to put a dollar value on other things.

snoozey 6 years ago

I am every bit as relieved as I when Roy announced he was staying.

tonythetiger 6 years ago

What is today's date? Oh, well uh... Bill Self you know what I am saying?Yeah, uh... hey Beavis... huh...huh...huh...huh...huh.As Freddy Mercury says, "Get on your bikes and ride."Bicycle... Bicycle... I want to ride my bicycle. I want to ride my bike.Yea great. I think that is great that he is coach and staying and all. I like to play tennis though? Anyone for Tennis? Wouldn't that be nice?Do you think I could get a scholarship for biking at KU?Anyone know?

ChristmasCarol 6 years ago

I was wondering what we would all do without Bill Self... Bill Self... Bill Self... It is about all we here in the news isn't it? There really is nothing new as the paper boy throws the daily is it?Well I am sure Bill Self is a great old dude. I have never had the pleasure of meeting him but I suppose everyone needs a place to be on earth and KU might just be the place for him.Bill Self is your man I suppose if you are in a jam, and nobody else can do it then he can.

ChristmasCarol 6 years ago

I sure was wondering what WE would all do without him. Bill Self... Bill Self... Bill Self... Bill Self He is our man if nobody can do it he can. Just like me and Tucan Sam?