Previous   Next

What will you always remember about Kansas University winning the national championship?

Asked at the homecoming celebration at Memorial Stadium on April 9, 2008

Browse the archives

“It’s got to be Mario Chalmers hitting that three to send it into overtime. There’s not a doubt in my mind that when he hit that shot, it was destiny.”

“The last two seconds before they went into overtime. After that, I knew they were going to win.”

“The emotions. I saw the 1988 championship win and I got to relive all of those emotions again.”

“Mario’s shot. It was really quiet and everyone was just staring at the TV hoping it would go in. Then everyone started screaming and I heard all these fireworks going off.”

Comments

Ranger35 7 years ago

No wonder the Royals beat the Yankees on Tuesday. A-Rod was at Memorial Stadium instead of the K.

beawolf 7 years ago

Old Roy's been getting a lot of flak for wearing that sticker. Many forget his daughter is a KU alum.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years ago

I'm hoping I don't have to remember the best part. I want her to stick around!

tonythetiger 7 years ago

The coltish and braxen way the girl I met downtown wandered out of the bar and vomited after drinking too much.

just_another_ninja 7 years ago

I didn't watch the game. Instead, I opened the doors and windows to my house and listened to the crowd on Mass Steet cheer and then grow silent... cheer again... then silent... then finally.... ROAR and I swear the city shook for a second or two. What a great sensation. Way to go KU fans. That's what I'll remember most.

Sagecasey 7 years ago

Remember??? KU won??? Must stop drinking before games.

jonas 7 years ago

It's a toss-up. The Mario Miracle, of course, but I agree with the shinobi above me that the real memorable part was listening outside to the entire town shivering and roaring like a living organism. I still just keep replaying it in my head, how close the damned thing was to another tragic loss. Yay!

ohjayhawk 7 years ago

Definitely the '3' by Chalmers. Knew we had it won once it went into OT. They were too demoralized.BABBOY - The UNC chat boards are all afire saying Roy shouldn't have had the sticker on his shirt.

sunflower_sue 7 years ago

Mario's 3 pointer! Also, seeing Roy with the Jayhawk sticker earned him redemption (as far as I'm concerned), and that will be memorable, too. As far as his fans having a problem with it...yeash! C'mon UNC, get over it already! (da dum ching)

HootyWho 7 years ago

the whole effort,,,,everyone and everything,plus it was my 51st birthday,,,,thanks for the gift Hawkes

Erin Parmelee 7 years ago

Having to watch that three point shot with a sleeping baby only 15 feet away, and watching the household erupt in silent screams of joy and lots of pillow shaking!!

acg 7 years ago

Having KU screw us out of the parade. Oh and Mario's beautiful 3 point shot. Love you, Mario.

Jcjayhawk1 7 years ago

I won't remember much. I blacked out by accident.

Christine Pennewell Davis 7 years ago

well at least they tried to be quiet right? I remember those days opps nights it does get better.

H_Lecter 7 years ago

There's no basement at the Alamo

LawrenceLover88 7 years ago

"RETICENT_IRREVERENT (Anonymous) says: The grassy knoll."I'm not loving your comment

Linda Aikins 7 years ago

All of these things, plus the very classy way our coach and our boys conducted themselves all through the tournament. And how great the memorial stadium event was. Good stuff. Good stuff.

oldvet 7 years ago

That I was in the Alamodome for the game... along with my son-in-law... it was his birthday and all he had been asking for was for the Jayhawks to win the National Championship... I couldn't do anything about the game play but I made sure we would be there to see it happen...

EireishHawk 7 years ago

Mario's shot because it was the right shot at the right time. The entire team performed very well.sue, sweet sue, your ability to forgive is laudable. Through the eyes of an old war horse like myself it was another example of Roy's inability to stay out of the spotlight. He is a drama queen and a total camera wh**e! Stayed to watch the championship game ------- right ----- just happened to be available for a half-time interview ------ right ----- I for one am glad he's gone. Here's hoping Self stays.

flashedred 7 years ago

I'll never forget when my cable went out and I didn't get to watch the final two minutes.

oldvet 7 years ago

Two memorable moments while we were in SA, not actually about the game, but I remember both well...We had parked the car and were walking to the River Walk when I passed a UNC fan decked out in his colors... we made eye contact but passed... he then turned and said to us "You might have won the game but we still have your coach!" I quickly replied "Keep him, he's a loser!"Later that evening as we were getting ready to leave the River Walk and head to the Alamodome we walked past a group of Memphis fans well into their beer... one exchanged eye contact with me and said "You're smiling now but your smile will be gone in three hours." I pointed directly at his face and said "Remember your very own words, you just prophesied your own fate." I sure hope he remembers that...Two days of hard driving, one great game to be there for...

riverdrifter 7 years ago

We had terrible seats at the game but a wonderful campsite 15-20 miles out at Castroville. Went through 3 half-gallons of whiskey & two poneys of Stella. Detox & de-flatulance from Tex-Mex 'cuisine'. Windows up & down most of the way home...

trythinking 7 years ago

I'll never forget who I was with (David and Nick) and where I was (Harbor Lights) when Mario's shot went in the basket. After that is anyone's guess.

slice696 7 years ago

I think Without a doubt the most memorable part has got to be without any question ...wait .....what was the question ?