Previous   Next

What is the longest distance you have ever run?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 7, 2008

Browse the archives

“About four and a half miles, when I was really into running last summer. I’m planning to run in the 5K on April 20th.”

“I think the longest was 14 miles, courtesy of the U.S. Army.”

“Probably five miles just working out on a treadmill. My mother keeps trying to convince me to do a marathon with her, but she just had a couple of knee surgeries, so I’m not convinced it’s for me.”

“Four miles just the other day. Well, two miles and I walked a little on the second two.”

Comments

born_to_run 6 years ago

I've completed 2 full marathons (26.2 mi each) and several half marathons (13.1 miles). Currently, I'm training for a 1/2 marathon in St. Louis in July. (It will be hot, and my time will be a lot slower).

SpeedRacer 6 years ago

I don't see any reason to run unless I'm being chased.

jonas 6 years ago

My scrying has been poor so far. But in a good way.Go KU!!!

Multidisciplinary 6 years ago

Now I'd be lucky to raise a muzzle to my head. Old and injured sucks.

ccp 6 years ago

seriously??? This is the question of the day? I fully expected something like "What are you doing for the game tonight?" Funny.

davidmm 6 years ago

27 miles running a few times, 125 miles on my bicycle also a few times.In my youth, in my youth...

ChristmasCarol 6 years ago

Chariots of Fire was my inspiration to run and run. I saw all those men's runnin' on de beach and I had to try to be just like them. All white and crisp were there uniforms. It echoes in my mind as though it were just yesterday.Anybody seen the new David Schwimmer movie with the Run for your breakfast Run?I was also inspired by eating Wheaties when I was young to run. Wheaties was the Breakfast of Champions. Back then there were only really three channels on TV (that I knew of anyway) and watching the Olympics was a special thing.I run nearly 4 miles a day now but it is only early spring.

Mariann 6 years ago

I was born to run.I ran...I ran so far away..............GO KU

jonas 6 years ago

Jeezus. I'm so nervous I could vomit. But, after scrying the omens, I have determined the potential outcome of the game. Come out strong, fade a little first half, hold on with a steady finish in the second half. We'll see how accurate my scrying is.

labmonkey 6 years ago

Last year I ran 10 miles when I thought I was training for a half-marathon. Now I pretty much stick to 2-5 miles per day.

tonythetiger 6 years ago

I ran the 5k in Governor's cup when George Carlin was the Governor of Kansas back in 1980.I was nearly 10 years old. Have a hard time keeping track of how much I run now. Besides running around town for groceries and supplies.

sunflower_sue 6 years ago

I think what we've learned today is that running is bad for your knees. That's all the encouragement I needed (to not run).

Multidisciplinary 6 years ago

Streaking from the stables to where every the heck I ended up at..damn blackouts.

lubyloo 6 years ago

11 miles training for a half-marthon last month. Afterward, my left knee was killing me, and I couldn't run again for 2 weeks, so I missed the half-marathon. Now I'm training for another half-marathon in a few weeks, so we'll see how that goes.

prospector 6 years ago

In other news:Old Home Town - 100 years agoAre there still loafing laws on the books? "A loafer who has been in jail several months for annoying women on the local streets has resumed that cheerful occupation upon being released from jail, where he is due to return immediately. . . ."============================================Those bad elements from Topeka got around. Tougher too, Atchison Co. to Topeka is over a 50 miles "...escape on a rail handcar...". I thought Hollywood invented this mode of escape."The safe in the bank of Huron, Kan., was blown open by robbers earlier today and the robbers made their escape on a rail handcar, with citizens awakened by the explosion following on foot and shooting at them. Two suspects were later arrested in Topeka. . . ."

bevy 6 years ago

Nowadays, I don't run unless someone is chasing me. My last year of high school my volleyball coach thought we were all training for a marathon. So we did stair laps! (Up the bleacher steps, across the top bleacher, down the other end, across the gym floor, up the steps on the other side, across the top bleacher, and down. Repeat ad nauseam, usually 15-20 times) Boy was I in great shape!Knees are shot now.

rumor_man 6 years ago

To the fridge and back for beers during timeouts of KU Basketball games. I get winded just thinking about it.

Gootsie 6 years ago

10 miles on a treadmill. I couldn't stop!Good one JJE007!

prospector 6 years ago

Couple of miles. The back, no likey.Snap, If you have to run from a trap-door buffalo, you don't have to be able to out run it, just be able to out run your friend.

sgtwolverine 6 years ago

About ten feet. Then I realized the folly of my efforts, and I went back to walking.

Flap Doodle 6 years ago

However far a trap-door buffalo can sprint + 10 yards.

dminear60 6 years ago

Run??? I prefer to walk...take my time...smell the roses. Besides, running is hard on my knees.

coolmom 6 years ago

12 miles in my younger days pretty regularly, now a couple miles 2-3x a week. i spend most of my time rappeling through teens rooms looking for dishes.

gccs14r 6 years ago

Never been much of a runner. The longest run as an adult was from West Hills Apartments over to the Union for an Organic Chem final. Now I can run about 200 meters, 400 if it's downhill.

toe 6 years ago

To the place I vote. They kept moving it.

Erin Parmelee 6 years ago

26.2 in the Austin Marathon last month.

autie 6 years ago

When I was 17, I did 15 miles for a fundraiser thing. Now, 15 steps is plenty.

The_Original_Bob 6 years ago

17 miles training for a marathon I never ran.

trinity 6 years ago

about 3 or 4 steps-when i thought my beer was fixin' to spill. ;)

JJE007 6 years ago

Without stopping?10 miles...With stops?I'm still going...

jonas 6 years ago

Bill Hicks had a lot to say about the 50 yard bum-hurdle."Oops. I tipped that last one, but I didn't time him over. That hurdle counts!"

sunflower_sue 6 years ago

I ran a block to catch a bus once. It was in San Francisco, so I also had to hurdle about a dozen homeless people, thus increasing the difficulty level quite a bit.

jonas 6 years ago

Not as far as any of those people, apparently.