Previous   Next

Have you ever purchased an original piece of art?

Asked at Borders, 700 N.H. on April 6, 2008

Browse the archives

“I have. It’s a screen print done by Justin Marable. I picked it up at an opening he had at the Olive Art Gallery here in town.”

“Yes, I have. It was actually from a guy here in town named Duane Workman. He’s a wonderful artist who does digitally manipulated images.”

“Can’t say that I have, but I would like to. I enjoy going to art galleries to look around once in a while, but I’m afraid it’s not in the budget right now.”

“Yeah. It’s a piece of Murano glass that’s signed by the artist, but I can’t think of his name. I picked it up while traveling in Venice.”

Comments

BorderRat 6 years, 8 months ago

Never had to buy any of it, but my Fridge is coverd in it.

dajudge 6 years, 8 months ago

I know a guy named Art. He's original, but I didn't purchase him.Sgt. so, your dad's name was Art?

BigPrune 6 years, 8 months ago

Yes, several. None by our local artists, haven't found any good enough to buy. A screen print is not an original piece of art - it's a print.

squishypoet 6 years, 8 months ago

BigPrune, I'm pretty sure a screen print IS an original piece of art. Unless I'm mistaken, they have to be done individually--it's just as much an original piece of art as a lithograph print, for example--although there may be more than one print of that design, each is an original piece of art.

aginglady 6 years, 8 months ago

sgt..that was priceless.I have some Louis prints, signed by he himself. I feel honored. He was teaching my daughter once, and he met us at the car. He shook my hand. I didn't expect this of myself, but I will admit, afterward I surprisingly had the "OMG, I'll never wash this hand honored hero worship!!! syndrome. LOL.My daughter turned out a couple of great pieces, she LOST one of the best, small ones. Simple, but just perfect for a watercolor of some flowers in my garden. Everyone was just amazed at that one painting.GONE.Vohrmeer didn't draw me in, (it wasn't as much the art...nothing I can say good here)Anyone noticed the ants woke up this morning? THEY'RE HERESlaps on computer table up against double casement windows. LOL tough brazen little communicative buggers, first house ever. I've sealed everywhere. Maybe the new outside paint job will stop them.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 8 months ago

Why yes! The hubby surprised me with a watercolor by Janet Groom Pierce for a birthday. He saw me doting over it in a gallery on the east coast and had it shipped back w/out me knowing.I have many paintings and some sculpture by other artists. Lori Mallott is one. I know lots of artsy people so I've been really fortunate to have so much beautiful art given to me. Squishy, you are correct! :)

Aileen Dingus 6 years, 8 months ago

There are some paintings hanging right now in the entry to the Mirth Cafe that I'd love to get. However, like Andrew says, they're just not in the budget right now. :(I have purchased original jewelry from the artist in the past...

BigPrune 6 years, 8 months ago

A screen print or lithograph is not the original, it is a copy of the original, even if it was produced by the artist him- or herself. You don't see screen prints or lithographs selling for the big money at auction, do you? Only the originals sell for the big money.

1wetwilly 6 years, 8 months ago

got two originals, one is Elvis in a white jump suit, the other is a bunch of dogs playing cards around a poker table, both are nailed up on the south wall of the shop, the velvet is real soft, they look nice, too.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 6 years, 8 months ago

Even the most talented artists among us create much more than they sell/buy...along with those who create art as a matter of course throughout their lives ... or by hook, crook and accidentally, according to thier marching orders.

jennatto 6 years, 8 months ago

I have 4 original pieces and some signed prints. The stuff I have I either bought from the artist or was a gift. I used to work in a place that had a gallery, so it was cool to see things for a long time, then love it,then decide to buy it.