Previous   Next

Do you know any KU super-fans?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 3, 2008

Browse the archives

“My oldest brother. He has to sit and watch the games by himself in silence. When we go to the games, he’s actually threatened me with bodily harm if we missed the tip-off on more than one occasion.”

“Not anyone who’s really extreme about it. I know a few people at school who will camp out for tickets, but that’s about it.”

“I think so. He takes every spare moment to talk about the team or watch replays of the game at work. He’ll bring it up in any conversation whether it’s about sports or not, and he’s intensely proud of them whether they’re winning or losing.”

“I do know one. He has to buy all the KU apparel the minute it comes out and makes trips to all the high profile games. No distance is too far for him.”

Comments

Bone777 6 years, 10 months ago

Nippy the Jayhawk is what his friends call him. I consider him a superfan, because he goes to the games (home and away), wears the colors, and decorates his home with Jayhawk memorabilia even when they don't have a year like this one.

trinity 6 years, 10 months ago

does my resolve to wear the crimson&blue ALL week this week count? :)ROCK CHALK!

Kat Christian 6 years, 10 months ago

OMG practically the whole friggin town goes crazy when a game is on. Even the grocery stores air the games and I've never heard that before until I moved here. When I lived in Maryland and the Redskins games was on they didn't air it over the speakers in the grocery stores and there are a lot of fanatics about the Redskins back East. My mother was one of them. Her livinging room decor was done up in all Redskins memoribila, pillows, throws, bobble head figurines, even a tissue box and doorstop. Geeze!! We buried her in her Redskins sweatsuit and played the Redskins fight song at her funeral. People sent Redskins colored flowers. Done very tasteful I might add. Back to the Jayhawks - shirts worn everywhere here so there is a little bit of fanatic in each of them. I hope they win the game against NC.

Linda Aikins 6 years, 10 months ago

Trinity dresses me. What do you think???Snap, I will not be able to get that song outta my head. Oh well, at least something is in there.

dminear60 6 years, 10 months ago

I can think of a lot worse things than being a super fan. Nothing at all wrong with showing a little school pride. Rock Chalk Jayhawk!

Dani Davey 6 years, 10 months ago

I am a super fan!! I've been known to camp for over a week for games and refuse to watch away games at certain places because they have bad mojo. I also have two game day shirts that I wear religiously. I went to both the Orange Bowl and the Big XII tournament, though, sadly, will be unable to go to San Antonio. Also, I want to point out to Jenne that we don't camp for tickets, we camp for seats.

KsTwister 6 years, 10 months ago

I know an elderly lady who watches them every game, knows their stats and they are what keeps her interested in this life. She even has a pumpkin with a Jayhawk on it that she lights up when they play. I truly believe if she had not gotten interested and had a young man explain the game to her when her husband died in 2002 she would have soon followed. As for me ---couldn't tell you the first thing about basketball, other that you bounce the ball. But glad to see the young ones enjoy the good fortune......and the old ones too.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 10 months ago

I know lots lot's of athletic supporters but no super-freaks.

trinity 6 years, 10 months ago

right down to the lucky game-day crimson undies gootsie?? :) kstwister that was a great post; my own mama was an avid watcher/fan, also. when she went to a nursing home, one day she'd mentioned she wanted just a sort of heavy button up shirt to wear around over her dress(always wore dresses, lol); pulled out my denim shirt with a Jayhawk applique&gave it to her. the compliments she got sportin' that around the nursing home!!! :) plus the stuffed Jayhawk, squooshie pillow etc that adorned her room...anyhoo when she passed, my daughters&i were gathering her burial clothes-and that ol' denim shirt went on her with pride. she looked so beautiful wearing it. that was just this past november-at the risk of sounding a lil' creepy, i have a feeling my mama is spiriting these boys to play great, this year! :)

Linda Aikins 6 years, 10 months ago

T, what a great story. My mommy lives right smack in the middle of Sooner country, so she really needs Jayhawk stuff! I'll get on that.Yep, the undies are essential. And if we don't win it all, I will save them for next year.

trinity 6 years, 10 months ago

heheheeeee, me too on savin' the undies! even tho i've got several in a nice shade of crimson, i reserve that one special pair for game days. guaranteed to last a long time, that way.

stephenj 6 years, 10 months ago

WHITEOWL!! I've seen him shaking his booty for the jayhawks at football games (including the orange bowl) as well as plenty of basketball games. You get my vote, sir.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 10 months ago

Nope. I don't know any sub-fans, either.Actually, I don't think I've ever seen a hyphen in that word; I've always known it to be superfan. And up here, I do know Michigan's superfan (http://www.michigansuperfan.com/); I've gotten to sit near him at football games a few times. His brother went to high school with my brother, too, so he knows my family anyway.

domino 6 years, 10 months ago

My mother-in-law is a huge sports fan- always loved the Dallas Cowboys and the Jayhawks - has KU stuff all over her house. Several years ago, I attended a small gathering that Jarod Haas was speaking at. I was able to get his autograph on a KU napkin for her - took it to her (she was in the hospital at the time) and she cried like a baby! You couldn't have made her any happier if she got 10 dozen roses! She is now in a nursing home but always wants to know when her Hawks will be playing so she can watch them!

Ceallach 6 years, 10 months ago

White Owl certainly is a super-fan about anything Jayhawk!! He regularly provides entertainment and smiles all across campus.Working in the middle of the Jayhawk's nest, just about everyone I know is a super-fan and I love it!

sgtwolverine 6 years, 10 months ago

Wait -- according to a classic TV theme (written by a 14-year-old), suicide is painless.http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicide_...

mom_of_three 6 years, 10 months ago

I am a superstitous fan, but not a superfan. I watch the games faithfully, have tons of KU shirts and sweatshirts, and will always wear one on gamedays. Because of the tournament, I try to wash and wear the same one for each game. Last two games, I have sat on the same spot on the couch, and cheer them on as if I was there. (Only my family will watch with me, as they do the same thing). My cousin gives me KU stuff for Christmas - this year was a stuffed animal jayhawk, and a sign for the door. Haven't missed a game this year.

JHawker 6 years, 9 months ago

i've worn the same Game Day Shirt since we hammered K-State in AllenFieldHouse... along with the same jeans and belt. the shoes vary between red pumas or flip flops.. and the jacket remains the same too. no worries-i always wear blue underwear for the occasion too. and yes, i have gone to the fieldhouse in heavy snow, at 6/8 am and camped for weeks for awesome seats at the fieldhouse-yeah Buddy Hawks! ROCK CHALK JAYHAWK GO KU!!!! oh.. and note my name.. JHawker... : - ) enough said

camper 6 years, 9 months ago

Yeah. A local barber shop who gained PR while cutting the hair of a loyal former basketball coach (a good guy incidentally). Now that same shop hangs the picture of the same coach in the restroom calling it the ___ room. Gaining a liitle more PR $$$ (some of it national). Disgraceful.