Previous   Next

What is your food of choice when you’re watching the game?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on April 2, 2008

Browse the archives

“Just some tortilla chips and cheese dip with salsa. I like to be able to snack throughout the game.”

“I’d have to say pizza and beer. It’s fast, easy and it doesn’t take you away from the game while you’re eating.”

“Anything fried as long as I have some beer. That’s the kind of food they sell at the game, so I like to eat when I’m watching at home.”

“Chips and guacamole. It’s always delicious.”

Comments

justfornow 6 years ago

I've always liked Snapper.

more_cowbell 6 years ago

"Ollie Gates' original sauce"Arthur Bryant's. :-dOh... and also a jug of (Free State) beer. John Brown Ale if it's available.

aginglady 6 years ago

tony, you're hilarious too!

BrianR 6 years ago

"Chill out, Olsen twin. We're just talking about one game, not a lifestyle."That is hilarious.

ChristmasCarol 6 years ago

I prefer Lasagne with romano, tempe, green olives, garlic, mozerella, onions, and sausages.I like choclate chip cookies with oats, walnuts and peanut butter as well and loads of brown sugar.Once in a while I have an omelet with all the vegetables in the fridge and some cheese on it. It used to be my specialty.

tonythetiger 6 years ago

I stalk through the fields and hide in the tall grasses of the savannah. I climb the high sierras and weil through the jungle denses... I spy before me a handicapped transportation van and so as the weakest of the pack I pounce when I have the chance and then disappear into the dense forest cover to enjoy my meal. Of course I like to eat "wild game".I love eating wild game. They're grrrrrrrrrrrreeeeaaat!!!!

Meatwad 6 years ago

Turkey Reuben at Johnny's. YUM. Awesome huge HD TVs too!

bobberboy 6 years ago

No actually I was mistaken. They woke him up first, then murdered him.

bobberboy 6 years ago

Stein - I new someone like that once. I think he was murdered in his sleep.

janeyb 6 years ago

I want pizza, but the senior fifteen dictates plain popcorn for a few weeks.

jonas 6 years ago

I prefer liquid sustenance. No need to eat.

autie 6 years ago

It is the unwritten law; KU final four games must include slow smoked baby back ribs with Ollie Gates' original sauce, my own onion/bacon laden baked beans and an ample amount of distilled liquids; preferably from Scotland. please, no sissy-fied wife beater beers brewed in Missouri.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years ago

"No wonder Americans are obese. The idea that sitting immobile in front of a television requires food accompaniment is one I tried never to let my kids get used to."Chill out, Olsen twin. We're just talking about one game, not a lifestyle.Or at least some of us are just talking about one game.

sunflower_sue 6 years ago

dajudge, how about some nice head-cheese to go along with that? (Everything but the squeal!)

sunflower_sue 6 years ago

Saturday is my sis' b.day...so it'll probably be whatever food she's requested...no doubt lots of salty, fatty substances followed by lots of sugary, fatty substances. My mental vibe detector is picking up "Mexican food" followed by "cheesecake."

dajudge 6 years ago

I like "authentic" Mexican food at an "authentic" Mexican food restaurant.Or, Eye-talian food at a bistro or ristorante.Sometimes, I"ll just eat some potted meat food product right out of the can.Or, Vi-any sausages and a can of head-on sardines with a bottle of Annie Green Springs.Or, like one time in Westport, picked up a sack of pig snoot sandwiches.

agtprovocateuse 6 years ago

Vermont Street BBQ's burnt ends and several cans of PBR are the perfect game day combo.

cool 6 years ago

chilled HONOR vodka made in Lawrence wiith smoked trout on crackers !

rammy 6 years ago

Stain (Anonymous) says: No wonder Americans are obese. The idea that sitting immobile in front of a television requires food accompaniment is one I tried never to let my kids get used to.___Like your doing right now? duhh

Newcomb 6 years ago

If at home, it's beer and a bowl of raisins and peanuts. If at the bar, it's beer, wings, and beer, all washed down with an ice-cold beer.

oldvet 6 years ago

Cheezits... I can throw one at the screen for a bad call or bonehead play and there is no damage, no mess (thanks to the dogs).

royalpain 6 years ago

Grilled sirloin, potatoes, and a bottle of Van Winkle Reserve bourbon.

trinity 6 years ago

i can usually munch on popcorn or chips or somethin' during the first half of a 'Hawks game; however, that last game? about the last 6 minutes was spent jumping up&down, kneeling on the floor, banging head on said floor...so not alot of eatin' goin' on, then.

Stain 6 years ago

le 6 years ago

Yea! Naked twister!!!!! All ya need is a can of whipped cream!!!

aginglady 6 years ago

R_I..have you seen "The Funeral" ?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years ago

Oh, and that communist loving, Hugo Chavez butt kissing, gun toting, wifebeating druggy thug of a Sean Penn ruins "The Game". But thats just my personal opinion.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years ago

"The Game" is an old movie. I'm not a big Michael Douglas fan and Deborah Kara Unger isn't that hot. But if I recall correctly... Fermented and or distilled liquid carbohydrates.

BABBOY 6 years ago

If I am into a game on TV, I could care less about the food available. If I watching a game in person, then polish sausages and beer.

aginglady 6 years ago

eww H_L. You made me remember, while passing over the guy who eats wierd stuff on the travel channel, there was a market pan of what couldn't have been anything other than deep fried fetal pigs.Unbattered.

H_Lecter 6 years ago

The grilled flesh of some formerly living animal...did I say "formerly?"

aginglady 6 years ago

LOL. The mate adds..homemade beans and ham..the kind with a ham hock and real beans, garlic, cornbread. That kind he loves. That's a good one for a crowd too. A whole room full of blazing saddles action. Easy cheap and you can make a big pot. Freeze leftovers.

aginglady 6 years ago

merrill eats tofu?I guess I missed this side of him somewhere along the line.;)Two of my favorite appetizers to take to game parties are my recipes. The men wolf them down.Frozen meat/cheese raviolis, dipped in a batter of beaten egg, and a touch of milk, rolled in flour, curry,salt and pepper,then deep fried. FInger lickin square little surprise goodies!Another is egg roll wrappers, stuffed with Dillon's ham salad spread, plus a bit of heat, like chili peppers or minced ginger. Roll then fry.Wow, I miss cooking for a crowd.Pretty much the only game I have to watch at my house, is a young visitor and his guitar hero..if I have to play too, snacking isn't an option! He's young enough, he hates everything except cake!

The_Original_Bob 6 years ago

Pretty much any sour cream or cream cheese based dip works for me. Nachos are great in a pinch.

blue73harley 6 years ago

What game? Naked Twister?

Richard Heckler 6 years ago

Guacamole or a red onion/garlic tofu dip. Yumo with crackers.When the city gets around to funding installation of Free State Copperhead,John Brown Ale and Oatmeal Stout lines throughout the city all will be swell. Not only that the city would realize substantial return on their investment which would be an earth shattering event in and of itself.

Norma Jeane Baker 6 years ago

Maytag bleu and a nice white.