Previous   Next

Do you think university professors should have to pass a criminal background check?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 29, 2007

Browse the archives

“Yeah. For me, it would be important to know if my professor was involved in any type of violent or sexual crime.”

“No. I think they should be hired based on the merits that qualify them for the position and not on the basis of a background check.”

“Yes, I believe so. It’s a respectable position, and they’re not exactly respectable if they have or are trying to cover up a criminal background.”

“I think that university professors should undergo the same scrutiny as any other state employee.”

Comments

Fishman 7 years ago

You mean they're not now? Sounds crazy not too as anyone else in a state position has to. This isn't to mention that they are teaching young adults that are still very much impressionable. Seems like common sense to me. Nothing to hide, nothing to worry about.

trinity 7 years ago

maybe; i mean, there are some things on a person's criminal history that are very much in the past and not a factor in who/what they are, now. if whomever is doing the screening for employment talked to the individual about their past crime and assessed whether or not there is imminent danger, then i s'pose a criminal history check would be fine.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years ago

Weekly... for crimes against humanity.

Godot 7 years ago

They should also have to pass a sanity test, and a drug screen.

geekin_topekan 7 years ago

No,kids need to learn from all phases of reality.Not just the one's that are deemed "proper".We have more than enough paranioa and Moral Majority as it is. Criminal back ground checks for faculty?Ha!Next thing you know we'll be doing dorm checks to make sure that the students aren't sleeping together.

sunflower_sue 7 years ago

das, don't ya hate it when you forget to log-off?

ms_canada 7 years ago

Hey a universtiyu question - I was doing the New York Times crossword yesterday and guess what one of the clues was ---- home of Lawrence University. Professors veted? sure, to some degree, I suppose would be appropriate.

jayhawkjg 7 years ago

I believe it would make students on campus feel safer. There are many job positions you must pass a background check as well as a drug test before hire, so why not.

sunflower_sue 7 years ago

Hi gnome! I've missed you! Good to see you on here!

jonas 7 years ago

Dotslines: I was thinking that Ubermime seemed a little off. It's almost as if. . . someone else happened to be on his computer and saw that he was signed in or something. . . .

. . . nah.

Crossfire 7 years ago

Back ground checks should be mandatory. If the prospective professor has no criminal history then he has had no life, there fore he has no right to teach. Steroids and concealed weapons are ok too.

sgtwolverine 7 years ago

Hey, if you're going to carry a university professor around, why hide it?

MLG 7 years ago

What about the group of people in prison that have completed their degrees while serving their prison sentences? The former Professor that was found to have murdered 3 random people at the age of 17. Should we place students in the classroom and take the chance the convicted professor is now reformed? I say get the background check.