Previous   Next

Do you know someone in Lawrence who is in a band?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 28, 2007

Browse the archives

“Yeah, at least four people. Two of them are in the same band, though. One sings, and the other plays guitar and sings. I think there are so many because Lawrence is a college town, and our age group is really into live music.”

“Yes, my friend’s girlfriend. Lawrence is a very Athenian city. There’s an inherent creative culture here.”

“Yes, I do. I think that’s the case with most people here. There are a lot of bands in Lawrence.”

“Yes, I do. One of my friends is the lead vocalist for a number of bands, and his brother is also in one of the bands.”

Comments

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 6 months ago

JJE007 says: "Is that nice, tangy?~)"

Ah, I see that the E.T. has returned... sorry, forgot the article... L'E.T.

Let me soothe that savage beast within you, with some of my favorite lyrics:

"If I didn't care what happened to you And you didn't care for me, too We would zik-zak our way Through the boredom, unseen Occasionally glancing up at the screen Wondering which of the bloggers to sting And watching for figs in the wing."

-- Pink Freud

riverdrifter 6 years, 6 months ago

Well, see, I bought this collector plate via eBay that I just had to have from a gal in England. We traded several emails over the deal and come to find out she started the Rolling Stone's very first fan club back when dinosaurs roamed. I Googled it to death and lo, she ain't lying. The lads still keep contact with her after all these years. Last spring Ron Wood & Bill Wyman (the latter no longer with the band, too dang excentric for even the Stones, let's think about that) took her out to dinner. After, she asked for a doggie bag and scraped the leftovers into it to feed a hedgehog that comes 'round her back step. So here goes Wood & Wyman 'round the swanky place scraping diner's leftovers off into a bag , signing autographs, etc. No, I don't know anybody in a band, but I know somebody who knows somebody in THE band. I guess now I need to Google up just what a hedgehog is.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 6 months ago

Yeah, I know all the boys in the band (many of whom have posted above).

sgtwolverine 6 years, 6 months ago

Why am I not surprised the "Athenian" answer came from the grad student? I think the first server's answer is a little more real-world.

BigPrune 6 years, 6 months ago

I've played in a couple of bands. I played the spoons and washboard in a Country and Western band The Accumulators, then I moved up to D-J record scratcher in a Rap / Hip Hop group Beards OFunk.

Ceallach 6 years, 6 months ago

Hey, Snap, tomorrow morning there is a Students for Ron Paul meeting, can we expect you to attend?

Where's snap today?

Ceallach 6 years, 6 months ago

Yes, my grandson is in a Lawrence band. He's a triple threat, smart, handsome and talented!! While he has mastered several musical instruments, he usually plays guitar, seems to have something to do with the guitar player always having his pick :)

Bone777 6 years, 6 months ago

Lawrence is very 'Athenian'? I guess if you go up near the Campanile at night it could be considered a lot like the Greeks of olden time.

Soapdish 6 years, 6 months ago

Yes I do. Rock on Ten Hour Drive!

coolmom 6 years, 6 months ago

i know people who have slept with the band...i know people who wanna be in a band...i know people who have gone to see a band...hum....maybe in a band no one has heard of....

tony88 6 years, 6 months ago

i know Braintree Forest Fire well

Tony Kisner 6 years, 6 months ago

My kid is in her grade school band. I think she is looking to go out on her own, she says it's creative differences with the clarinet section, but I think it's the new girl friend of the drummer.

JJE007 6 years, 6 months ago

Yeah. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? Are there too many bands?

I think everyone should be in a band. There should be no band discrimination. I can't play any instruments or read music, but I am starting a band. What the heck. Who's with me?~D No experience necessary! No talent required! Laughing at yourself is not optional. It's REQUIRED!

We'll spend the first year just choosing a band name. Brainstorm people! Ear Ack Ten Cyst A Bilious Wave Men Seize Terre Bull Monkey Kick Me Your Add Hear Pun Shun for Stupid

logicsound04 6 years, 6 months ago

Long live Autumn Dog...

...well memory of them anyway.

ms_canada 6 years, 6 months ago

My grandson, Tyler, was in a band until he moved. But, of course, not in Lawrence, so I guess that does not count at all. He plays guitar. goofy question, hey what!!!

Marion Lynn 6 years, 6 months ago

I know a guy who plays a band member on TV.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 6 months ago

Yes. My mother is even in a band. Of course, she only comes to Lawrence every now and then, and she plays the kazoo. Rock on mom, rock on!

Gootsie 6 years, 6 months ago

Yep - Uncle Dirtytoes.

friday friday FRIDAY!!!! friday friday FRIDAY!!!!

Azure_Attitude 6 years, 6 months ago

Oh, yeah. I've known lots of people in bands 'round here. In the 30+ years I've been here I have encountered folks that even made it big at some point in their lives playing with the Spinners, Frampton, Zappa, etc. When we lived in Chicago, my sister's went of with 2 guys in Earth Wind and Fire - not simultaneously. He best friend's uncle is the founder of EW&F, Maurice White.

Now dance with me! C'mon, get funky!

Be shinning star, No matter who you are Shining bright to see What you can truly be . . .

dodger 6 years, 6 months ago

Not in Lawrence but I do know a band from Ottawa they rock "Bubbe Hyde" if you ever get the chance to hear them they are awesome

Nikki May 6 years, 6 months ago

This has got to be the lamest question. Ok, maybe not. There have been some dumb ones in the past too. But, yeah, I know lots of people in bands. I even know people in KU band, LHS band, and maybe FSHS band too!

jonas 6 years, 6 months ago

No, but I do know someone who's with the band, so I've just got one step to go!

audvisartist 6 years, 6 months ago

This is the question of the day? Really? That's like asking "Do you know someone in Lawrence that votes Democrat?" Or... "Do you know someone in Lawrence that goes to, or has ever gone to, KU?"

redbird 6 years, 6 months ago

Yeah know a couple of people being I'm a temporary manager(and stand in bass player) for one band and do mobile recording for others...Lawrence does have a diverse music scene though,some of the bands are rather eclectic but do have their own musical sense.The band I am currently working with is a hard rock band that the members are from other past bands that got together a few months ago...hopefully will break the hard rock scene out again once more in Lawrence!!!!