Previous   Next

What is your favorite video game?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 26, 2007

Browse the archives

Golden Eye’ for the Nintendo 64, because you can be Odd Job and karate chop people below the belt.”

Mario Kart 64.’ I played it a lot against my brother, but he usually beat me.”

FIFA Street’ or ‘NFL Street.’ I like soccer and football games a lot.”

“The ‘Tomb Raider’ series, because it automatically aims at the enemies and they take a lot of thinking.”

Comments

JoRight 6 years, 12 months ago

Well, I'll bring these comments up to speed; the Half-Life series (1 & 2)

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 12 months ago

I prefer the "little character" games from the Super Nintendo era (as well as the occasional -"64" game). Reserve all those high-end graphics for my (future) HD TV screen.

Galaxian gets a definite honorable mention!

... and forget any "game" that involves following a gun through some virtual landscape.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 12 months ago

RI stole my answer, too. The only video game we have in the house is this litte plug-in joy stick thingie that my bro got for one of my girls. It has Ms. Pac Man, Galaga, Pole Position, Xevious, and Mappy. (I don't even know what the latter two are.) I think I used to like Donkey Kong, Frogger, and that Paper Boy game.

Can we call Spider solitare and Mahjong video games? Probably not. How about the internet version of the daily crossword puzzle?

acg 6 years, 12 months ago

My favorite from when I was a kid is Space Invaders. Today, I really like Need for Speed for PS2. The races aren't that important to me, but I really dig running from the cops and crashing into stuff.

tyger_lily 6 years, 12 months ago

Yoshi's Island for the SNES and GBA and Yoshi's Island DS for the GB DS!!!! It doesn't get any better than Yoshi.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 12 months ago

R_I already stole my thunder. Curses!

jonas 6 years, 12 months ago

Gonna go with the Legend of Zelda. Pretty much any of those are perfect.

The Elder Scroll Series is probably just as good, but way more time consuming, so less perfect. Fun games that ruin whole semesters of schooling are less than perfect.

preebo 6 years, 12 months ago

Frogger... Or Pitfall.

I actually still have my Original Atari 5200 somewhere in my attic.

coolmarv 6 years, 12 months ago

Gauntlet from the mid 80's. It was one where if you kept putting in quarters you could sustain your life. I sure put a lot of money into that machine. Finally started to see how far I could go on one quarter. I once played for 6 hours on one quarter and the bar was closing so I had to quit. Only ever mastered two games. The other was Ms. Pac Man. Must of spent thousands of dollars back then. Never bought a home game system though. Not sure why. I certainly was the type to have one. No money left to buy one probably.

Grundoon Luna 6 years, 12 months ago

Tetris, but it's hard to get that old NES to work much so I just faggitabadit.

I have given up on video games. Since Tudedude was little, we've gone from NES, to Sega, to Super NES, Nintendo 64, Playstation, Playstation 2, now Tudedino wants an X-Box. If Mr. Attitude wants him to have it then he can get it for him - and I am sure play it with him. A half dozen different systems in 17 years? By the time they release a system it's obsolete. What a racket!

jonas 6 years, 12 months ago

"acg (Anonymous) says:

The races aren't that important to me, but I really dig running from the cops and crashing into stuff."

You should try Grand Theft Auto sometime. Now that's fun stuff. Just don't play it around kids.

avaholic 6 years, 11 months ago

Gotta go with Tecmo Bowl, Excite Bike, and any hockey game out there

Darth_Vader 6 years, 11 months ago

any of the Tony Hawk skate series, cause I wish I could what my guy does in the game. That or 720....skate or die!!!

thomgreen 6 years, 11 months ago

Pole Position, the arcade version only.

dodger 6 years, 11 months ago

I have to say super mario brothers the original is my favorite....

Grundoon Luna 6 years, 11 months ago

Sounds like a winner R-I and we have that gear on hand. Appears to have a bit more material than his cub scout handbook has. He's only almost 8 I think the talking to girls can wait but can keep the book for future reference.

Agnostick, Tudedude loves, and I mean with a passion, Guitar Hero. He's won a couple competitions so far - I think he needs to learn to play a real guitar. He's gotten Tudedino all worked up about it so bad he wants one for his birthday in a couple of months, but in the meantime he's buggin' me to take him to his big bro's house so he can play Danzig or YYZ, or have me make his bro move back home so he has access to the game all the time - Doubt that. I hear they have one for signing now too. I can dig that.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 11 months ago

The first two answers are fantastic; Goldeneye and MarioKart 64 are classics. But I have a Gamecube, so I spend my time on the newer version of MarioKart, which is still a lot of fun. Also, Mario Tennis and Super Mario Strikers (soccer) are worthwhile.

Of course, all those games are better if you're playing them with other people. I never really use the Gamecube unless other people are around. And yes, I will be upgrading to the Wii sooner or later; my friends who have used one have all said it's incredibly fun. That, Ag, is another real reason the Wii is selling well; it's not just cheaper, but it's fun and well-designed. If it weren't a good console, the price would be irrelevant.

Oh, and I grew up playing games on a Commodore (first a C64, then a 128), and there were some amazing games for that system. Still some of my favorites. And still old-school but a little less so, I love some of the old DOS games from the 90s.

Marcus DeMond 6 years, 11 months ago

I agree with Andrew and Anna. Mario Kart and Goldeneye for the N64 are two of the most fun multiplayer games I have ever played. I know there are probably better games now but my friends and I just don't have as much time to get addicted to them. But, I will definitely buy a Wii when the new MarioKart comes out next year! The wireless steering wheel is going to be great!!

motomom 6 years, 11 months ago

CENTIPEDE and TEMPEST.... yea!!!!!

jonas 6 years, 11 months ago

logic: Bah! Talk to me when you've gotten through them on expert.

jonas 6 years, 11 months ago

Oh yeah, and try unlocking Jordan by Buckethead out of the extras. On expert, even in practice mode at the lowest possible speed it's virtually impossible to keep up with the solo.

jonas 6 years, 11 months ago

Holy crap, Agno, that looks awesome. Good thing it comes out around Winter break.

ms_canada 6 years, 11 months ago

I am not sure what exactly is meant by video games. I did recognize the old Tetris game that I have played in the past. But I do like computer games. In fact I think I am addicted to the Mahjongg games. Especially the 200 level Mahjongg Egyptian Edition. You cannot advance until you complete each level. I have played the whole 200 levels several times and never seem to tire of it. Does anyone else play this game and is it classed as a video game?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 11 months ago

Hitman. Assasinating drug lords and such.

Actually, I got a lot out of the Baulder's Gate games. Too much time committment for me now.

acg 6 years, 11 months ago

I had forgotten all about mario kart for N64. We also have an N64 system and I love that game. Whenever we have large house parties, inevitably people always end up playing mario kart for shots. It can be quite entertaining.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 11 months ago

sgt - I, too, had some awesome games for the C-64. I believe that the reason the graphics/sound were so good (for the time they were unbelievable) was because it's motherboard was what was used in many of the arcade games of the time. I think my favorite C-64 games were Beachhead and Summer Games.

Paper Boy, that's a game I hadn't thought about in years. That was a great game too. I remember it in the arcades, it had bicycle handlebars.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 11 months ago

Ohjay, Beachhead and Summer Games were both classics; Winter Games was great, too. Another game I loved was Racing Destruction Set; did you ever play that? Oh, and International Karate. And Spy vs. Spy.

There was a Paper Boy for the Commodore, as well. I did enjoy that.

Crispian Paul 6 years, 11 months ago

Old skool Mario Bros and Q-Bert for the old Atari. Oh, yeah, and Tekken....I kill at Tekken.

monkeyspunk 6 years, 11 months ago

Tecmo Super Bowl and RBI Baseball - Many a evening trashtalking and fighting with siblings and friends over who could win that night's tournament.

Bladerunner 6 years, 11 months ago

Roids

I prefer Asteroids over Hemorrhoids.

kneejerkreaction 6 years, 11 months ago

After Pong, all the games pale in comparison. Pong graphics were awesome, the rest just look fake.

GretchenJP 6 years, 11 months ago

Burnout on X-Box and bowling on Wii.

Greenbird 6 years, 11 months ago

M.U.L.E!!!! The only problem is when you play against the computer it cheats.

Marcus DeMond 6 years, 11 months ago

NHL 93 on sega genesis

do the swerve and watch the goalie take the bait

the fighting was fun too!

gphawk89 6 years, 11 months ago

Galaga, although it's getting hard to find a Galaga machine in arcades nowadays. Anyone know where there's one in town?