Previous   Next

Where would you like to retire?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 25, 2007

Browse the archives

“I think Lawrence would be a great place. There are so many things to do, so many friends, trips to Kansas City, and I could become a storm chaser in my retirement.”

“Ireland. No town in particular, just somewhere out in the country. It’s such a beautiful place.”

“I would like to retire to Brazil. I’m learning Portuguese, and I’d love to travel and eventually live there.”

“Somewhere on the East Coast around New England. There’s a lot of history there.”

Comments

sgtwolverine 7 years, 2 months ago

Wherever I am. I don't want to start a whole new life when I retire.

Crossfire 7 years, 2 months ago

When I quit working I want a room in the back of Joe's Bakery. Sacred Donut

Crossfire 7 years, 2 months ago

D&D ...best place in town to re-tire.

jonas 7 years, 2 months ago

Wherever I can find a good dilapidated house on a hill, to assume my urban legend status as "Crazy old man jonas."

I told you to stay off my damned yard! I'm coming back with my machete!

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years, 2 months ago

Like I'll ever be able to retire... If I could, I'm thinking...Las Vegas, baby! (Las Vegas, NM, of course) I might have to try Argentina if it gets too crazy in this country.

preebo 7 years, 2 months ago

Somewhere near the border between Kenya and Tanzania. Buy some land and create a privately funded Wildlife preserve.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 2 months ago

I'm with sgt. (Not retiring to live with him but retiring wherever I happen to be :o)) And I'm not "with him" with him, just agreeing with what he said...nevermind...I'm going to get rumors started...

Flap Doodle 7 years, 2 months ago

A sturdy houseboat, so I can survive in the coming waterworld. Oh, yeah, I'll need a parrot.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 2 months ago

snap, make sure you take a jar of dirt...and a plant. And say hello to Kevin Costner.

samsnewplace 7 years, 2 months ago

No one can retire because then you can't afford the cost of health insurance. But if we are going to dream here, maybe New Mexico or northern California.

purplesage 7 years, 2 months ago

Moderate weather, the smell of l pines and a view of the mountains.

Overpriced Flagstaff, AZ might work, but who can afford it?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 2 months ago

I'd like this for an OTS: "What, if anything, have you done to plan for retirement?" I think we'd see some interesting (scary) responses.

If you don't plan for retirement, you won't retire. For many of us, this question is "What sort of work do you plan on doing when you are in your 80s?"

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years, 2 months ago

I invest a small amount in stupidity each day. If we'd all do this, we could retire with a thousand points of light in a kinder, gentler nation. We'd rarely see kinder/gentler, of course. I mean, a thousand points of light isn't very bright!~)

sgtwolverine 7 years, 2 months ago

Sue, that's how rumors get started. Started by the jealous people.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 2 months ago

Hawaii. My younger brother lives in Honolulu. I've been threatening to invade his household for years. * shaking fist* And I swear that I will make good on that threat!!! At lesat temoporarily until I get my own pad, man.

Magpie 7 years, 2 months ago

Dream: New Mexico. Reality: A state convalescent home.

Aiko 7 years, 2 months ago

Where the climate suits my clothes!

Ceallach 7 years, 2 months ago

Sitting on the deck looking out over the Sacramento Mountains in the Land of Enchantment, I gotta admit, this would be a contender. We're off to Ruidoso, Inn of the Mountain Gods. Woo Hoo

staff04 7 years, 2 months ago

Trinity-

Is the Scipio Supper Club still in operation? I went to a very unpleasant company holiday party there about 12 years ago, give or take a year.

Too bad the punks burned down the schoolhouse...I wouldn't be able to find the right place to turn now.

waydownsouth 7 years, 2 months ago

Some place where i can watch the snow fall and the skiers.

labmonkey 7 years, 2 months ago

Open a gym near Wellington New Zealand.

John Spencer 7 years, 2 months ago

Australia. Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Brisbane, maybe Port Douglas.

JW1 7 years, 2 months ago

The best places in the world to retire are in Australia. Having researched over 200 great locations, written two books on the subject,...it is plain that Australia are blessed with some of the best places in the world to retire. www.where2now.net

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 2 months ago

Hmm... I'll be retiring here shortly... damn, that bed looks nice!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 2 months ago

I hope to retire in extreme west Lawrence, where, when that fateful day arrives, I will lie down in some remote field... and let the wild coyotes tear me asunder....

Wait a minute!- even more poetic:

... and let the wild chickadees tear me asunder....

deskboy04 7 years, 2 months ago

New York...I'd go down on Broadway and see some of those skits that they are always talking about.