Previous   Next

Where would you like to retire?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 25, 2007

Browse the archives

“I think Lawrence would be a great place. There are so many things to do, so many friends, trips to Kansas City, and I could become a storm chaser in my retirement.”

“Ireland. No town in particular, just somewhere out in the country. It’s such a beautiful place.”

“I would like to retire to Brazil. I’m learning Portuguese, and I’d love to travel and eventually live there.”

“Somewhere on the East Coast around New England. There’s a lot of history there.”

Comments

deskboy04 6 years, 7 months ago

New York...I'd go down on Broadway and see some of those skits that they are always talking about.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 7 months ago

I hope to retire in extreme west Lawrence, where, when that fateful day arrives, I will lie down in some remote field... and let the wild coyotes tear me asunder....

Wait a minute!- even more poetic:

... and let the wild chickadees tear me asunder....

Marion Lynn 6 years, 7 months ago

I would like to retire to a place near the ocean with a beach so that I can dig clams, hunt treasure, eat shrimp and fish and be served cocoanut wine by bare-br--sted native women in grass skirts.

hawkperchedatriverfront 6 years, 7 months ago

"God's waiting room" of course, with extra pillows for the sofa..but please let me fart first!

Pywacket 6 years, 7 months ago

Waydownsouth~ Hey--I love to watch the skiers fall, too! Maybe we will end up at the same lodge, sitting near a big picture window with hot toddies, watching the snow and the skiers tumbling down the slopes.

Gretchen~ I love the usual London weather but when I was there way back in 1975, there was a heat wave going on. Just my luck. Hardly any rain..just sun and heat for weeks. Made for great swimming on the Isle of Wight, though. Ah.. good times. Speaking of which... one could do a lot worse than the Isle of Wight for retirement. Gorgeous island. All our Brit relatives go there in the summer.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 7 months ago

Hmm... I'll be retiring here shortly... damn, that bed looks nice!

JW1 6 years, 7 months ago

The best places in the world to retire are in Australia. Having researched over 200 great locations, written two books on the subject,...it is plain that Australia are blessed with some of the best places in the world to retire. www.where2now.net

John Spencer 6 years, 7 months ago

Australia. Gold Coast, Surfers Paradise, Brisbane, maybe Port Douglas.

labmonkey 6 years, 7 months ago

Open a gym near Wellington New Zealand.

waydownsouth 6 years, 7 months ago

Some place where i can watch the snow fall and the skiers.

staff04 6 years, 7 months ago

Trinity-

Is the Scipio Supper Club still in operation? I went to a very unpleasant company holiday party there about 12 years ago, give or take a year.

Too bad the punks burned down the schoolhouse...I wouldn't be able to find the right place to turn now.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 7 months ago

Dang, my Netflix queue is getting tougher to fill all the time... Now Kevin Spacey visited Hugo Chávez. Glover, Penn, now Spacey. All tainted and un-watchable. If John Cusack visits, I'm gonna have to shoot the Philco, and retire in Bangalore

Ceallach 6 years, 7 months ago

Sitting on the deck looking out over the Sacramento Mountains in the Land of Enchantment, I gotta admit, this would be a contender. We're off to Ruidoso, Inn of the Mountain Gods. Woo Hoo

prospector 6 years, 7 months ago

Someplace that already knows hand washing is a good.

R_I, smile, good morning or smile, have a nice day. Enjoy the diversity that the job brings.

hawkperchedatriverfront 6 years, 7 months ago

Tucumcari, NM next hot spot for investment and retirement.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 7 months ago

OldEnuf2BYurDad, "What sort of work do you plan on doing when you are in your 80s?"

Walmart Greeter @ 6th & Compton Way?

Aiko 6 years, 7 months ago

Where the climate suits my clothes!

Magpie 6 years, 7 months ago

Dream: New Mexico. Reality: A state convalescent home.

notnowdear 6 years, 7 months ago

I doubt Lawrence is one of those points of light, not with Amyx at the helm.

Azure_Attitude 6 years, 7 months ago

Hawaii. My younger brother lives in Honolulu. I've been threatening to invade his household for years. * shaking fist* And I swear that I will make good on that threat!!! At lesat temoporarily until I get my own pad, man.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 7 months ago

Sue, that's how rumors get started. Started by the jealous people.

JJE007 6 years, 7 months ago

I invest a small amount in stupidity each day. If we'd all do this, we could retire with a thousand points of light in a kinder, gentler nation. We'd rarely see kinder/gentler, of course. I mean, a thousand points of light isn't very bright!~)

notnowdear 6 years, 7 months ago

I want to retire in W. Kansas.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 7 months ago

I'd like this for an OTS: "What, if anything, have you done to plan for retirement?" I think we'd see some interesting (scary) responses.

If you don't plan for retirement, you won't retire. For many of us, this question is "What sort of work do you plan on doing when you are in your 80s?"

BABBOY 6 years, 7 months ago

Hawaii. One of the Islands no one goes to. Probably a pipe dream. I probably will work until death.

purplesage 6 years, 7 months ago

Moderate weather, the smell of l pines and a view of the mountains.

Overpriced Flagstaff, AZ might work, but who can afford it?

samsnewplace 6 years, 7 months ago

No one can retire because then you can't afford the cost of health insurance. But if we are going to dream here, maybe New Mexico or northern California.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 7 months ago

Somewhere that has some land and a big pond. Also, four seasons are a requirement.

Foofabs 6 years, 7 months ago

Somewhere in the land of the free and the home of the brave, Vote Ron Paul for President!!

Pywacket 6 years, 7 months ago

Up north, of course. Who wants to spend their old age with a bunch of other old people? I can't imagine ever wanting to play shuffleboard or hear about anybody's snot-nosed grandchildren.

If I live up north, among younger families, then when I've fallen and I can't get up, there will be some able-bodied (maybe even hunky) young neighbor to set me up on my feet. I can bake cookies for the neighbor kids, and they'll rake my leaves. That's how things worked when I was a kid.

It would be terrible if all the old people back then had moved to Florida or Arizona. Our neighborhood would've been empty without the retired folks, who watched out for us kids and made special treats for us for Halloween and Christmas. We were always happy to run an errand for them or pick up the horse chestnuts or pine cones from their yards, or to pet-sit when they were out of town.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 7 months ago

snap, make sure you take a jar of dirt...and a plant. And say hello to Kevin Costner.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 7 months ago

A sturdy houseboat, so I can survive in the coming waterworld. Oh, yeah, I'll need a parrot.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 7 months ago

I'm with sgt. (Not retiring to live with him but retiring wherever I happen to be :o)) And I'm not "with him" with him, just agreeing with what he said...nevermind...I'm going to get rumors started...

BigAl 6 years, 7 months ago

Absolutely Lawrence, Kansas!

preebo 6 years, 7 months ago

Somewhere near the border between Kenya and Tanzania. Buy some land and create a privately funded Wildlife preserve.

Kontum1972 6 years, 7 months ago

Crestline, Kansas

dont blink..!

JJE007 6 years, 7 months ago

Like I'll ever be able to retire... If I could, I'm thinking...Las Vegas, baby! (Las Vegas, NM, of course) I might have to try Argentina if it gets too crazy in this country.

Crossfire 6 years, 7 months ago

When I quit working I want a room in the back of Joe's Bakery. Sacred Donut

jonas 6 years, 7 months ago

Wherever I can find a good dilapidated house on a hill, to assume my urban legend status as "Crazy old man jonas."

I told you to stay off my damned yard! I'm coming back with my machete!

Napoleon_Dynomite 6 years, 7 months ago

Hunting Wolverines with my bare hands in Alaska

Crossfire 6 years, 7 months ago

D&D ...best place in town to re-tire.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 7 months ago

Home is the sailor from the sea, The hunter from the hill. - A.E. Housman

sgtwolverine 6 years, 7 months ago

Wherever I am. I don't want to start a whole new life when I retire.