Previous   Next

Are you planning on getting a flu shot this year?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 24, 2007

Browse the archives

“No, because I don’t feel like my immunities are down. I feel very healthy and I’ve never had the flu.”

“No. I’ve never had one and I’ve never gotten sick. I think it’s more recommended for the elderly.”

“Yes I am, because I’m over 50. I get one every year.”

“Probably, unless it’s expensive or inconvenient to do so.”

Comments

sgtwolverine 6 years, 11 months ago

Isn't that unnecessarily complicated? I might as well just shoot a flu myself if I want to have one shot. There's no need to hire someone else to do it for me.

jonas 6 years, 11 months ago

On the off chance that I get the flu, I'll just stay home and let my nurse wife take care of me for awhile.

And if it's Captain Trips, well, not much difference in the end anyway.

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 11 months ago

""No. I've never had one and I've never gotten sick. I think it's more recommended for the elderly."

• Stuart Suls, retired, Tampa Bay, Fla."

The RETIRED guy says he won't because it's really just for OLD people?

tyger_lily 6 years, 11 months ago

I work in a school so heck yeah I am getting a flu shot! I didn't get one my first year here and I was sick every other week that year.

samsnewplace 6 years, 11 months ago

oldenuf......did you see how young that retired guy is? no wonder he's saying it is probably for the elderly. Either he retired very young or Florida is the place to live! :)

coolmom 6 years, 11 months ago

heck yes school kids and my kids are carriers. last year my teenage son got the flu shot and then got a flu and even with good dr care ended up with pnumonia and ended up in the childrens hospital in critical condition for 22 days where he couldnt breathe on his own and his kidneys failed and he had to have his blood filtered for several days until they recovered. it was the scariest thing we have ever experienced and we will all be standing in line for shots this year first thing.

canyon_wren 6 years, 11 months ago

I won't--never have, and never get sick. It seems like every year many people who get a flu shot come down with a DIFFERENT flu than the one the shot was supposed to prevent. Maybe the shot offered is designed for the previous year's flu? Anyway, I guess people, like teachers, etc., who are with kids all the time are probably wise to get them, and some more vulnerable elderly people, but I definitely don't think everyone should get one.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 11 months ago

I've had more than 20 flu shots (started getting them when young as my bro needn't be around sick people) and I've had the flu maybe 2 or 3 times. I'll most likely get one. An ounce of prevention and gallon of Purell...

acg 6 years, 11 months ago

I thought they were hiding tiny tracking devices in the flu shot RI. ???? That's why I won't get the flu shot. I don't want big brother to be able to keep tabs on me that closely. BTW, Jonas, loved the Captain Trips reference. Many won't get it, but I did. :) So, will you go on the side of good or evil when the deadly government-produced flu kills off 95% of the population?

sunflower_sue 6 years, 11 months ago

RI, So that's why I'm just so darned laid back!?!

sgtwolverine 6 years, 11 months ago

TOB, sometimes it's better just to be a bad parent. I mean, look at [insert OTS poster name here]!

jonas 6 years, 11 months ago

acg: I'd be rockin' out in Boulder for sure. I don't know about my tendencies for good and evil, but I do know I don't do well in authoritarian environments. The Walkin' Dude would nail me up to a crosspole.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 11 months ago

Das, I'm inclined to think the gallon of Purell might be what's actually doing the trick. That, and the fact that my "carpet crawlers" are now of an age that I don't have to deal with snotty noses as much. (Toddlers are germ wagons!)

Grundoon Luna 6 years, 11 months ago

The flu shot works pretty well for me so I will be getting one. Now if they can come up with a vaccine for these horrible sinus infections I get, now that will be a boon to mankind . . . well, maybe just to Azurekind but that will work for me.

Oh, Das, I love that movie!! Give me a Terry Gilliam film over an Spielbaneggar blockbuster any time.

acg 6 years, 11 months ago

Das' last post made me guffaw. Everyone in my office looked at me weird. Thanks, I was bummin' a bit and needed a pick me up.

Jonas, you have to admit, whereas the good lived in Boulder, the interesting lived in California. They had all the freakiest/funkiest/weirdest people, even if their intentions weren't the best. The only truly magnificent character in Boulder was Tom, but that's because M-O-O-N was how he spelled everything. I found myself yawning a lot when reading about all of the good-doing going on in Boulder. I kept thinking, damn, people, it's the end of the world. At least party it up or something. They were all "ooh, let's establish law and order". Blech! :)

RI, thanks for the crash course. I have been mixing up my conspiracies for years now. Either way, I'm staying away from that flu shot. I don't want to be tracked, have my DNA messed with or get the Army of the 12 Monkey Flu the very next day.

jonas 6 years, 11 months ago

acg: Shame shame. Las Vegas is NOT in California.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 11 months ago

I'm going hunting with Cheney and some other right_thinkers, this winter... so I'm planning on getting some "buck"shot this year.

Crossfire 6 years, 11 months ago

Take a mess of killed virus, shove it into some fertilized chicken eggs. Let this mess fester a while. Add a little Thiomersal, and feed it to your babies. ...no thanks.

Adrienne Sanders 6 years, 11 months ago

People don't even know the difference between the flu and a cold, they seem to think a flu shot prevents you from getting sick at all.

I've had the flu once in my life, it was in August when I wouldn't have had a flu shot anyway.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 11 months ago

I knew a guy that got a flu shot & he was dead 8 days later.

Of course, he was run over by a bus.......

acg 6 years, 11 months ago

Sorry, it's been a few years. ARe u sure it was Vegas and not LA?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 11 months ago

Crossfire says: "Take a mess of killed virus, shove it into some fertilized chicken eggs. Let this mess fester a while. Add a little Thiomersal, and feed it to your babies."

Like tangential, I'd take some Cheney buckshot over a flu shot any day. (waitaminit... I AM tangential... sorry... apparently still recovering from that last hunting trip... or wuz it that last flu shot? Medic!)

ms_canada 6 years, 11 months ago

Nope, I never get one. Never get the flu or a cold. I attribute it to Purell and soap and water and a good diet of veggies and fruit and very little meat. I always wash my hands when I come into the house from being around town. Works for me!!

matahari 6 years, 11 months ago

Well, I am a believer (in flu shots) been getting them for the past few years and have yet to get the flu , since the shots..before I'd get it at least once (usually more) times in a year. It's those that don't get the shots, that may not get sick, but carry the virus...have you noticed the incidence of illness goes way up when kids go back to school (or students come back to town?) They bring all those viruses from all over the nation (world) right home here to us.

Do your neighbor a favor (even if you don't get ill) and get a shot! It's free painless and just takes a second. It makes good health sense..

coolmom 6 years, 11 months ago

i prefer dean koontz except for one book and that one would be the stand. captain tripps is far out man. creeped me out the first time i read it. i was horiffied when the one young man died of appendicitis it seemed like it really slammed home for me the reality of this kind of mass extinction when i read that passage.

H_Lecter 6 years, 11 months ago

Live on the edge...look death right in the eye and see who coughs first. (sounds like Nick Danger)