Previous   Next

What is your favorite type of beer?

Asked at Free State Brewing Company, 636 Mass. on September 23, 2007

Browse the archives

“I like ale. It’s got a little more flavor to it. I find that other types of beer have gotten kind of bland.”

“Stout. I just like the rich flavor of dark beer.”

“I’m a big fan of Indian Pale Ale style beers. I’m always game for anything that’s got a lot of hops in it.”

“I tend to go with ales. I like a maltier style of beer. I like brown ales the most, then amber style ales, and then I’ll go on to stouts.”

Comments

ontheotherhand 7 years, 2 months ago

The fact that this question appears in the Sunday paper makes me giggle . . . .

southerngirl 7 years, 2 months ago

Smithwicks...made by Guiness, very, very fine! d

Eric Neuteboom 7 years, 2 months ago

Fat Tire.

Been enjoying Pale Ales lately, nothing better on a hot day.

And the Free State ESB that I clanked home last night...that was especially good!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 3 months ago

... and cold.

Ah, beer, the glass that's never "half empty."

redbird 7 years, 3 months ago

Yeah free are the best kind HL!!!! I like to go for the stouts especially oatmeal stouts,a little sweeter and smoother....I make my own and also add a hint of licorise to mine...other favorites are IPA's,a Scottish ale with smoke and roasted grains,my summertime favorite and others who have had it is my Blueberry Wheat slight hint of blueberry on the backside but not too wheaty when you first drink it....I'm working on a Lemon Blueberry Wheat or Pilsner for next summer!!!!

Flap Doodle 7 years, 2 months ago

Kreuzberg. Unfortunately, one has to be in Wildflecken to find it. http://kreuzbergbier.de/

In the absence of that, Bully Wheat is darned tasty. Beamish Irish Stout is pretty much okay too.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years, 2 months ago

Go, fresh and super hoppy ales! Thanks, Free State! Wow. I wish that juniper-laced, Rogue, Yellow Snow Ale was still available. That stuff was awesome.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 2 months ago

"I have never meet a beer I did not like so far." Prospector, You obviously have not tried Camo. :o$

Linda Aikins 7 years, 2 months ago

Unopened. I had a very disastrous relationship with a manic beer drinker and now it makes me sick to my stomach.

He was once tied up in front of Louise's because he was so drunk and obnoxious. I've improved my life 1,000,000% since him!

Mkh 7 years, 2 months ago

Black Butte Porter by the Deschutes Brewing Company is the best beer in America. And trust me I've been to almost every brewery in the country. This one is by far the best, located up in the beautiful mountains of Bend, Oregon.

They don't ship it as far east as Kansas, but as of last year you can buy it all over Colorado. Everytime I'm in Colorado I drive several cases of Deschutes beer back home, which leads to an array of visitors once word gets out.

I also have to mention my favorite Colorado Brewery, which is easily Odell's. If you are ever in Fort Collins you have to stop in at this place, which is located less than a mile from New Belgium Brewery, which is pretty good and worth a visit.

But Odell's beer is incredible, as of recently you can get all of their regularily bottled beers here is Lawrence. The IPA, Levity (light amber ale), 90 Shilling (dark amber ale), and the Cuttroat Porter are all a must to try if you love great beers. http://www.odellbrewing.com/

As far as California micro brews go, well there are too many to pick one. If you are ever in Northern California on highway 1 though, start about at Fort Bragg in Mendocino and head up all the way to Arcata in Humboldt, you'll find dozens of tasty brew houses along the way.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 2 months ago

Root. Otherwise, I'm not all that fond of the taste of it.

gccs14r 7 years, 2 months ago

Depends on the weather. The darker and colder the weather, the darker the beer I like. I haven't worked myself up to being able to enjoy Guinness, though. That'll take some work.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 2 months ago

As a general rule, I'm not a beer drinker. But the rule, as is the case with most rules, is meant to be broken. So, when it is very hot outside, and the beer is ice cold, it goes down like water. In that case, I'm really not picky 'cept that I don't like a "skunky" beer.

I'm w/ sgt and py...'cept that I would add a scoop or two of really good vanilla ice cream to mine.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 2 months ago

RETICENT_IRREVERENT says: " Stella? Stella Artois? I thought it was Stella Kowalski. Do you have to do a Brando imitation to order one? "

Official drink of NAMBLA, apparently-you should just see the order line at convention wet bars... STELLAR!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 2 months ago

Oh, BTW, for the potentially uninitiated: National Association of Marlon Brando Look Alikes

sgtwolverine 7 years, 2 months ago

Sue, a friend of mine recently got back from spending six months in Africa with Mercy Ships; on the ship, he was working with people from all over the world. One evening they had root beer floats, which, of course, the Americans thought was a great idea. But he said a lot of the non-Americans tried the floats and did not like them at all. That didn't bother him too much, though, since that just meant there was more for him.

Py, I never did ask you: how did your visit home go?

Kyle Neuer 7 years, 2 months ago

Porters. Or "Uff-da" Bock from New Glarus, WI. Best beer in the US is made in either Oregon or Wisconsin.

Mkh 7 years, 2 months ago

The only canned beer I'll ever drink is PBR. It's a great beer, especially for breakfast after you've been up the entire night before.

waydownsouth 7 years, 2 months ago

I have never been a beer drinker. But it does wonders for my hair and i cook with it from time to time.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 2 months ago

Marion, are you a farmer now? Well, that's one sure way to go bankrupt! (Especially if you're drinking "empty headed animal trough water.")

gogoplata 7 years, 2 months ago

Copperhead Pale Ale

From a liquor store - Widmer Brothers Hefeweizen

redbird 7 years, 2 months ago

Those of you who don't like the darkness of Guinness try it this way....half a glass of Guinness topped it off with root beer,sweetens it up a bit,lightens it too....we called it Diesel just a name but a really good drink!!! There are beer cocktails out there for those that are adventurous!!!

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 2 months ago

Good Weissbier....chilled glass with lemon in the bottom...pour very slowly.

trinity 7 years, 2 months ago

ice cold bud lite. sigh maybe i should duck&cover as did mr ramirez? :)

Jaminrawk 7 years, 2 months ago

I would have to go with Free State's "Oatmeal Stout". I was particularly psyched when I found out that The Bottleneck served it. "Ad Astra" is pretty fantabulous as well.

staff04 7 years, 2 months ago

Eggenberg Samichlaus...unfortunately, only brewed one day a year--Dec. 6, for release ten months later.

Awesome stuff, and one will do ya...it was once the world's strongest.

aeroscout17 7 years, 2 months ago

The one in my hand, as long as it is not Old Mil...that stuff makes me sick!

On the serious side, can't believe Copperhead from Free State hasn't won awards. Same with the Oatmeal Stout. Been all over the world, drank and brewed award winning beers; These are still two of my all time favorites.

acg 7 years, 2 months ago

The kind that's not beer so much as Jack Daniels on the rocks with a tiny splash of water, just to smooth out the sour mash. Mmmmmm.

Kontum1972 7 years, 2 months ago

"Tree Frog Beer"..simply the BEST....am i right ..Checkered Demon?

Kontum1972 7 years, 2 months ago

the background looks very familiar....must be the only bar in town.

pace 7 years, 2 months ago

I like water, I think people shouldn't drink so much beer or soda pop.

somewhereintime 7 years, 2 months ago

Uhm...the sixth one. What was the question again?

Ken Miller 7 years, 2 months ago

Best beer I've ever had out of a bottle: Hazed and Infused from Boulder Brewing.

Best beer I've ever had off the tap: Ballard Bitter from Red Hook Brewing in Seattle.

daddax98 7 years, 2 months ago

over ice yeah I know it's weird but I love

schweppy 7 years, 2 months ago

New Belgium Blue Paddle Pilsner or Breckenridge Avalanche

walkdog262 7 years, 2 months ago

If you're ever in Minnesota try Surly beer. It's a small brewery in the Twin Cities that gets a lot of pub. I thought it was hype until I tried their two main varieties, Furious and Bender, and realized they are AMAZING. It's only available in a can or on tap, and believe me it's not bad at all out of a can. I highly, highly recommend it. They also are brewing a new beer that has coffee in it, which I haven't tried but it sounds unique as hell.

riverdrifter 7 years, 2 months ago

Red Hook ESB. Stella is nice. Guiness Stout (food). But a common ol' Bud and a shot of Crown in the Helsinki Bar in Superior, WI is always a good thing.

GretchenJP 7 years, 2 months ago

I don't drink it... BITTER! But my husband really digs MGD and the Bud Light in the pretty blue bottles.