Previous   Next

Would you like to attend a film festival?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 21, 2007

Browse the archives

“I would consider it. I think it would be kind of fun to see smaller independent films by new filmmakers.”

“I would’ve before I had two kids. Now I just don’t have the time. I’d probably be better off going to the movie theater to watch ‘Shrek’ or something.”

“Yes. I like watching movies, and I’d like to see some good independent movies that might make it to the big screen.”

“Yes. It’s inspiring to see people think differently, and you’re more likely to see that at a film festival than at a regular movie.”

Comments

Pywacket 6 years, 7 months ago

Yes! I love movies. I'll throw in a few bux to bribe R_I's parents to release that Boy Stood Under the Burning Deck film classic. Not for the first time, I have to wonder if R_I is my brother's separated-at-birth twin we never found out about.

Ceal~ You are so lucky that your little sister lives in the Land of Enchantment. Mine lives at Chez Hood Manor, where there's always a vacancy--usually a burned-out one--and thoughtful neighbors relieve you of that undesirable clutter in your hoopty (stereo, speakers, CDs..).

I'm a little sad for Derrick and Das_Ubermine. Believe me, I know how children suck out your very will to live... but still. The question was, "Would you LIKE to attend a film festival," not "Is there a snowball's chance that you would be allowed to spend several hours enjoying yourself with other adults, without anyone whining in your ear, peeing in your lap, or vomiting down your back?"

Therefore, you are invited (nay, encouraged) to respond as if you actually believe any of your fantasies could come true. If you would LIKE to attend a film festival, you can say "Yes," even if you know that you won't be able to indulge that desire for another 16 years or so. Please, guys, hold on to those last shreds of your battered souls--you will get them back some day. Believe.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 7 months ago

Hey, have your own little film festival!

(Elsewhere, I have noted that I consider myself to be "deeply religious, just not in any conventional sense-no barbed little churches in my landscape.") - yeah, so whut...

Over the past week or so, I have come across a couple of gems which offer dramatically different perspectives on the "Christian" religion...

Danielson: A Family Movie (wow)-Sufjan Stevens fans, take notice

Jesus Camp (whoa)

Both are available to the Netflixated.

Just wanted to share.

(Your experience may vary, depending on your own level of conventionality.)

sunflower_sue 6 years, 7 months ago

RI, Sorry, I can't afford a movie right now. I owe some money to your spousal unit and #3 for some impromptu manual labor they did for us this evening. (For which we are eternally grateful!) Life is never dull here!

Ceallach 6 years, 7 months ago

All y'all have a nice next few days. I'm off to the Land of Enchantment for a little rest in a mountain resort called the House of My Baby Sister :)

trinity 6 years, 7 months ago

somebody plEASE pass me a kolache! i'm a german/acadian french descent myself-but was exposed to kolaches&such things(mmmmmmmm, thinkin' dumplings!)via an ex, and absolutely loooooooove that kind of stuff! ;)

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 7 months ago

Topside, BTW, my spousal unit is also of Bohemian heritage. Her family emigrated to the Czech district in Cedar Rapids. Interesting enough my sister-in-law was an intern minister at a Moravian church.

. sue, I have no idea. Remember, I live in exile.

ms_canada 6 years, 7 months ago

ceallach - when it comes to bohemian, speak for yourself. Seems to me I have some footage of ms ceallach around here someplace. I think I'll entitle it An American on the Loose in Frontier Land say ceal, if we had timed it right perhaps we could have been hired as extras down at the fort and got to be in a movie with the Pitt laddie himself. Wouldn't that be a hoot. :o) Sunflower - I might just have to make a trip down that way for a jaunt with you to St. Joe. I love museums. Been to the Field in Chicago, the British in London and the Prado in Madrid. And others.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 7 months ago

The phrasing of this question makes me feel like I'm being lured somewhere by a stranger.

75x55 6 years, 7 months ago

How about a Film Festivus?

Airing of Grievances:
This popcorn sucks.
The soda's flat.
Why do we have to listen to this director drone on and on, just show the flick!

Feats of Strength: Must stay awake...stay awake...awake...a....snnnnnrrrhhh....

sunflower_sue 6 years, 7 months ago

RI, Word snob capitalized is a lifestyle, in lowercase, it is a disease. :oP~

p.s. suppose your parents would take $5 for the movie?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 7 months ago

Topside, Not getting at anything. Capitalized, Bohemian is a heritage. In lowercase, bohemian it is a lifestyle.

Topside 6 years, 7 months ago

No I'm saying Greatgrandpa came over from Bohemia (N. Czechoslovakia) cir. 1871 and settled in N. Central Kansas. So yes my ethnicity is Bohemian, but I am not a native, or an exchange student, or wahtever else you are getting at.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 7 months ago

sue, The film is still at my parents house. At least as long as I stay married... A "showing" would have to be after a "viewing".

ohjayhawk 6 years, 7 months ago

Ms_C - One of my favorite movies was filmed in Canmore (Mystery, Alaska)... unfortunately, I found that out AFTER I had already been to Canmore. That is definitely a spectacular scenic area!

As for the question, I'd probably go for the popcorn and goodie bags, but for the movies, not so much.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 7 months ago

Topside, "BTW- I really am bohemian so pass the Kolatches sucka!"

Just seeking clarification... Are you saying you are Bohemian, or that you are bohemian? Or you could be a Bohemian bohemian, or maybe even a bohemian Bohemian

sunflower_sue 6 years, 7 months ago

RI, I want to see that film. When is the viewing?

sunflower_sue 6 years, 7 months ago

blue, yep! Since I grew up in Joe town, I've been to all the museums...I think. The Glore psych museum is worth seeing. I highly recommend viewing the "stomach contents" of a patient that they operated on (they saw her swallow something she shouldn't have) that someone artistically arranged in a beautiful spiral pattern. Of course, the patient died in surgery.

I also very much enjoyed the skitzophrenic art.

There are also some "feel good" displays, such as a ginormous collection of empty cig packs... The patient was convinced that if he collected enough, he would get a free wheelchair. The staff didn't have the heart to convince him otherwise, so they bought him a new chair. Despite this, he kept on collecting cigarette pkgs and it is a most impressive collection, indeed.

Ms_C, my mother used to volunteer at this psych "hospital" from which the museum hails. Now, the building is a lovely prison. Oddly enough, she also worked in the "Patee House Museum" when it was the Sunmaid Garment Factory (said to be haunted).

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 7 months ago

trin, Actually the best part of the footage is where my (at the time) BFF comes running out of his house with a glass of water, to put out the raging gasoline fueled fire... The look on his face...

ms_canada 6 years, 7 months ago

blue - I worked in a psychiatric museum. Well, actually it was a hospital and I trained there as a psych nurse, but it was so antequated it was like a museum. It was rather spooky prowling around the corridors at night to a young kid just out of high school. In the 3 years that I was there it did modern up some. When I moved to Edmonton and got work nursing in a general hospital, I was shocked at the difference in the two institutions. WoW.

Ceallach 6 years, 7 months ago

I could submit footage of ms_c at the music festival last fall :0 I've entitled it "Rain, Hail, Salmon Sandwiches and Crooning Celts." Oh never mind, promised her that "What happened in Edmonton, would stay in Edmonton." Let it suffice to say that she is more than just a little bohemian!!!

Topside 6 years, 7 months ago

No, every movie is just a bunch of gay cowboys eating pudding.

-Eric Cartman

BTW- I really am bohemian so pass the Kolatches sucka!

Flap Doodle 6 years, 7 months ago

blue, I've been to the psych museum in St Joe. It is pretty darned weird. I'm glad I wasn't crazy & alive about 100 years ago.

trinity 6 years, 7 months ago

dear god R_I that unnamed car chase film sounds as though it's at least a 4&1/2 Klondike bar celluloid event! wow!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 7 months ago

snap, Do you have a one sentence review of "Balls of Fury"? How many Klondike bars would you give it? I was thinking I would wait till it came out on DVD, put on a good drunk some Saturday night and watch it.. That way I could double fist at the communion rail in the morning for the "hair of the dog" effect.

Cool movie... Since you are hosting the OTS film Fest, I need to know when it is so I can clear my calendar. I will submit two films. The 1979 film "Space Raiders" (Lucas inspired of course), and an unnamed, unedited car chase film from when I was 9. The car chase film includes footage of me smashing into, then flipping over a neighbors car (shot with the Revere duct taped to my Stingray's front fork), and also my (at the time) BFF parent's deck catching on fire when we were filming the crash scenes underneath the deck with model cars and gasoline.

blue73harley 6 years, 7 months ago

s_s - I have a buddy that lives in St. Joe. I have always been tempted to stop at the Glore Psychiatric museum. Sounds pretty weird. Ever been there?

Flap Doodle 6 years, 7 months ago

Klondike bats! (obviously another cup of coffee was needed) Back in the early 1980's, I made a short movie about WW II using chickens instead people. If there is going to be an OTS film festival, I could bring that.

dodger 6 years, 7 months ago

I am with trinity!! "what would you do ooo for a klondike bar"? lol

sgtwolverine 6 years, 7 months ago

Years ago, I might have made a joke about my photography being a film festival. But I shoot digital, so every day is not a film festival for me.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 7 months ago

Ms_C, why just see a movie? Next time you're down this way, I'll take you on up to St. Joseph and you can see the bullet hole.
St. Joe has some pretty cool museums. Especially if you like haunted, odd, or creepy.

ms_canada 6 years, 7 months ago

Snap - so true, some movies are not worth seeing once let alone over again. I took a car load of kids once to see Dumb and Dumber. My heavens, was there ever a more stupid movie made? I doubt it. Since then I have never even come close to seeing that guy in a movie, can't just think of his name. Don't want to think of his name. What an eejit.

ms_canada 6 years, 7 months ago

I guess I am just bohemian enough to have wanted to be in Calgary last night for the premiere of The Assassination of Jesse James by that coward Robert Ford. Especially since it is not being shown in our city. Not for a while yet anyway. This has happened before. We always get these films later that the other Canadian large cities. Don't know why. Alberta is used a great deal by movie makers. Such films as Dances With Wolves, Breakback Mountain, The Fall and others have been made here, especially in the southern regions of our province. There is truly great scenery down that way. The low rolling hills of the Rocky Mountain foothills are breathtaking in places. My Calgary daughter and I recently drove to Banff for lunch and I was delighted by the scenery once again after a long absence from that area. It was a two hour drive from her home at the north west edge of the city. It was a great day. You can't beat mother nature for splendor.

blue73harley 6 years, 7 months ago

Popcorn, goody bags, alcohol, Klondike bars and FRIday...it just doesn't get any better than this.

But yes it does! I am on vacation next week. Woo Hoo!

I hope y'all can go a week without my witty repartee.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 7 months ago

RETICENT_IRREVERENT says: "Those goody bags they force on you at these events are just shameless commercialism. The alcohol they pour into your mouth, a way to lower your judgement, to make you accept and see this as a 'new voice'"

... there'll be goody bags and alcohol?! Mmmmmm...

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 7 months ago

Independent? New voice? Those goody bags they force on you at these events are just shameless commercialism. The alcohol they pour into your mouth, a way to lower your judgement, to make you accept and see this as a "new voice" Ever since Lumiere jump started the motion picture industry, film has been a decadent, exploitive form of subversive communication.
The independent film industry "indiewood" is no different.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 7 months ago

Oh, BTW, did you all see the letter which was circulated following the recent premiere of "Kansas vs. Darwin" at the "Kansas International Film Festival?" I missed the festival, but the promoters reportedly hired a handful of high school students to dress up as monkeys and carry anti-evolution protest signs. Apparently, many of the attendees didn't get the JOKE, mistaking the protesters, instead, for members of the Phelps clan!

,:-^)

Das_Ubermime 6 years, 7 months ago

Do Klondike bats eat Klondike bars?

I'm with Derrick. Maybe before I had kids. Now there is just no chance. Not even a Klondike elephant could keep the midgets still long enough.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 7 months ago

Howzabout "Kansas vs. Darwin"... with the opening scene from "2001..." as the cartoon?

Azure_Attitude 6 years, 7 months ago

Sure, I'm game.

Snap, would these films not be new or yet to be released films? Art houses sometimes will showcase a particular director - Ingmar Bergman festivals I have heard of in Chicago and New York, for example - or a particular actor/actress' work, but most are to introduce new films.

Just showing old films is a movie night and not so much a festival, IMHO

Flap Doodle 6 years, 7 months ago

There are movies that I wouldn't sit through again even for a Klondike bat. Roman Polanski's "Tess" is one example.

trinity 6 years, 7 months ago

sure why not, but only if they're having free popcorn&Klondike bars.

friday friday friDAY friday friday friDAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! :D

jonas 6 years, 7 months ago

Nope, one movie at a time is about my limit, before I go stir crazy.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 7 months ago

No, that would be just too bohemian.

blue73harley 6 years, 7 months ago

Well, it would be a nice change from the TV Festival held daily at my house.