Previous   Next

Would you like to attend a film festival?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 21, 2007

Browse the archives

“I would consider it. I think it would be kind of fun to see smaller independent films by new filmmakers.”

“I would’ve before I had two kids. Now I just don’t have the time. I’d probably be better off going to the movie theater to watch ‘Shrek’ or something.”

“Yes. I like watching movies, and I’d like to see some good independent movies that might make it to the big screen.”

“Yes. It’s inspiring to see people think differently, and you’re more likely to see that at a film festival than at a regular movie.”

Comments

Flap Doodle 7 years, 3 months ago

There are movies that I wouldn't sit through again even for a Klondike bat. Roman Polanski's "Tess" is one example.

jonas 7 years, 3 months ago

Nope, one movie at a time is about my limit, before I go stir crazy.

trinity 7 years, 3 months ago

sure why not, but only if they're having free popcorn&Klondike bars.

friday friday friDAY friday friday friDAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY! :D

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 3 months ago

Sure, I'm game.

Snap, would these films not be new or yet to be released films? Art houses sometimes will showcase a particular director - Ingmar Bergman festivals I have heard of in Chicago and New York, for example - or a particular actor/actress' work, but most are to introduce new films.

Just showing old films is a movie night and not so much a festival, IMHO

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 3 months ago

Howzabout "Kansas vs. Darwin"... with the opening scene from "2001..." as the cartoon?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 3 months ago

Oh, BTW, did you all see the letter which was circulated following the recent premiere of "Kansas vs. Darwin" at the "Kansas International Film Festival?" I missed the festival, but the promoters reportedly hired a handful of high school students to dress up as monkeys and carry anti-evolution protest signs. Apparently, many of the attendees didn't get the JOKE, mistaking the protesters, instead, for members of the Phelps clan!

,:-^)

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 3 months ago

RETICENT_IRREVERENT says: "Those goody bags they force on you at these events are just shameless commercialism. The alcohol they pour into your mouth, a way to lower your judgement, to make you accept and see this as a 'new voice'"

... there'll be goody bags and alcohol?! Mmmmmm...

ms_canada 7 years, 3 months ago

I guess I am just bohemian enough to have wanted to be in Calgary last night for the premiere of The Assassination of Jesse James by that coward Robert Ford. Especially since it is not being shown in our city. Not for a while yet anyway. This has happened before. We always get these films later that the other Canadian large cities. Don't know why. Alberta is used a great deal by movie makers. Such films as Dances With Wolves, Breakback Mountain, The Fall and others have been made here, especially in the southern regions of our province. There is truly great scenery down that way. The low rolling hills of the Rocky Mountain foothills are breathtaking in places. My Calgary daughter and I recently drove to Banff for lunch and I was delighted by the scenery once again after a long absence from that area. It was a two hour drive from her home at the north west edge of the city. It was a great day. You can't beat mother nature for splendor.

ms_canada 7 years, 3 months ago

Snap - so true, some movies are not worth seeing once let alone over again. I took a car load of kids once to see Dumb and Dumber. My heavens, was there ever a more stupid movie made? I doubt it. Since then I have never even come close to seeing that guy in a movie, can't just think of his name. Don't want to think of his name. What an eejit.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 3 months ago

Ms_C, why just see a movie? Next time you're down this way, I'll take you on up to St. Joseph and you can see the bullet hole.
St. Joe has some pretty cool museums. Especially if you like haunted, odd, or creepy.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 3 months ago

Years ago, I might have made a joke about my photography being a film festival. But I shoot digital, so every day is not a film festival for me.

dodger 7 years, 3 months ago

I am with trinity!! "what would you do ooo for a klondike bar"? lol

Flap Doodle 7 years, 3 months ago

Klondike bats! (obviously another cup of coffee was needed) Back in the early 1980's, I made a short movie about WW II using chickens instead people. If there is going to be an OTS film festival, I could bring that.

trinity 7 years, 3 months ago

dear god R_I that unnamed car chase film sounds as though it's at least a 4&1/2 Klondike bar celluloid event! wow!

Flap Doodle 7 years, 3 months ago

blue, I've been to the psych museum in St Joe. It is pretty darned weird. I'm glad I wasn't crazy & alive about 100 years ago.

Topside 7 years, 3 months ago

No, every movie is just a bunch of gay cowboys eating pudding.

-Eric Cartman

BTW- I really am bohemian so pass the Kolatches sucka!

Ceallach 7 years, 3 months ago

I could submit footage of ms_c at the music festival last fall :0 I've entitled it "Rain, Hail, Salmon Sandwiches and Crooning Celts." Oh never mind, promised her that "What happened in Edmonton, would stay in Edmonton." Let it suffice to say that she is more than just a little bohemian!!!

ms_canada 7 years, 3 months ago

blue - I worked in a psychiatric museum. Well, actually it was a hospital and I trained there as a psych nurse, but it was so antequated it was like a museum. It was rather spooky prowling around the corridors at night to a young kid just out of high school. In the 3 years that I was there it did modern up some. When I moved to Edmonton and got work nursing in a general hospital, I was shocked at the difference in the two institutions. WoW.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 3 months ago

blue, yep! Since I grew up in Joe town, I've been to all the museums...I think. The Glore psych museum is worth seeing. I highly recommend viewing the "stomach contents" of a patient that they operated on (they saw her swallow something she shouldn't have) that someone artistically arranged in a beautiful spiral pattern. Of course, the patient died in surgery.

I also very much enjoyed the skitzophrenic art.

There are also some "feel good" displays, such as a ginormous collection of empty cig packs... The patient was convinced that if he collected enough, he would get a free wheelchair. The staff didn't have the heart to convince him otherwise, so they bought him a new chair. Despite this, he kept on collecting cigarette pkgs and it is a most impressive collection, indeed.

Ms_C, my mother used to volunteer at this psych "hospital" from which the museum hails. Now, the building is a lovely prison. Oddly enough, she also worked in the "Patee House Museum" when it was the Sunmaid Garment Factory (said to be haunted).

sunflower_sue 7 years, 3 months ago

RI, I want to see that film. When is the viewing?

ohjayhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

Ms_C - One of my favorite movies was filmed in Canmore (Mystery, Alaska)... unfortunately, I found that out AFTER I had already been to Canmore. That is definitely a spectacular scenic area!

As for the question, I'd probably go for the popcorn and goodie bags, but for the movies, not so much.

Topside 7 years, 3 months ago

No I'm saying Greatgrandpa came over from Bohemia (N. Czechoslovakia) cir. 1871 and settled in N. Central Kansas. So yes my ethnicity is Bohemian, but I am not a native, or an exchange student, or wahtever else you are getting at.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 3 months ago

RI, Word snob capitalized is a lifestyle, in lowercase, it is a disease. :oP~

p.s. suppose your parents would take $5 for the movie?

sgtwolverine 7 years, 3 months ago

The phrasing of this question makes me feel like I'm being lured somewhere by a stranger.

ms_canada 7 years, 3 months ago

ceallach - when it comes to bohemian, speak for yourself. Seems to me I have some footage of ms ceallach around here someplace. I think I'll entitle it An American on the Loose in Frontier Land say ceal, if we had timed it right perhaps we could have been hired as extras down at the fort and got to be in a movie with the Pitt laddie himself. Wouldn't that be a hoot. :o) Sunflower - I might just have to make a trip down that way for a jaunt with you to St. Joe. I love museums. Been to the Field in Chicago, the British in London and the Prado in Madrid. And others.

trinity 7 years, 3 months ago

somebody plEASE pass me a kolache! i'm a german/acadian french descent myself-but was exposed to kolaches&such things(mmmmmmmm, thinkin' dumplings!)via an ex, and absolutely loooooooove that kind of stuff! ;)

Ceallach 7 years, 3 months ago

All y'all have a nice next few days. I'm off to the Land of Enchantment for a little rest in a mountain resort called the House of My Baby Sister :)

sunflower_sue 7 years, 3 months ago

RI, Sorry, I can't afford a movie right now. I owe some money to your spousal unit and #3 for some impromptu manual labor they did for us this evening. (For which we are eternally grateful!) Life is never dull here!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 3 months ago

Hey, have your own little film festival!

(Elsewhere, I have noted that I consider myself to be "deeply religious, just not in any conventional sense-no barbed little churches in my landscape.") - yeah, so whut...

Over the past week or so, I have come across a couple of gems which offer dramatically different perspectives on the "Christian" religion...

Danielson: A Family Movie (wow)-Sufjan Stevens fans, take notice

Jesus Camp (whoa)

Both are available to the Netflixated.

Just wanted to share.

(Your experience may vary, depending on your own level of conventionality.)