Previous   Next

Do you think you could fast during daylight hours for a month?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 14, 2007

Browse the archives

“Actually, my father is Muslim, so I’ve done it before. It was challenging and very rewarding.”

“Yeah. If I was committed to it and that was my religion, I think I could do it.”

“Yes. Fasting provides a great opportunity to understand the difference between want and need. In our society of over-consumption, I find it very commendable.”

“Yes, could and have while I was vacationing in Istanbul.”

Comments

jonas 6 years, 11 months ago

Of course I could, if someone could convince me that there was a worthwhile purpose in doing so. It's just always seemed such a silly thing to do, though.

nut_case 6 years, 11 months ago

Yes, I suppose I could. I have never partaken in the ritual, however, having some Muslim friends, I understand the the fast includes not only food, but water, or any other form of drink, too. That does start to "drain" a person especially if they have a strenuous work day.

When you stop and think of it, most major religions have some form of food ritual...Muslims with their fasting and avoidance of pork, Hindu's and their sacred cows, Catholics with their fish and ritualistic blood drinking / flesh eating - just to name a few. It will certainly be fun to see which religion - if any - is correct in the end.

Sigmund 6 years, 11 months ago

Bone777 6 years, 11 months ago

Yes, in Alaska during the winter...

Flap Doodle 6 years, 11 months ago

Sure, it'd be easier than managing my uncontrollable lust any time I see a woman's bare ankle. RuPaul for president!

rodentgirl16 6 years, 11 months ago

Grundoon Luna 6 years, 11 months ago

What you said, Py. If I got up and ate right at o'dark thirty I might be able to make it to dinner, though I would be in BAD (Bad Attitude & Breath) shape by then.

Centrist 6 years, 11 months ago

I fast about every Sunday. Never bother eating until around dinnertime, just 'coz I'm lazy on that day. Yep, I could do this easily. I did the "40 hour famine" charity thing years ago, with no problem, too.

toefungus 6 years, 11 months ago

If I don't eat, I get slow. This activity should be called.."slowing". Or maybe it is called fasting, because when you can eat, you eat fast.

dminear60 6 years, 11 months ago

Does fasting mean no coffee or beer? If so, I would never, never, NEVER succeed.

Ceallach 6 years, 11 months ago

Probably not. I might get by if fasting applied to solid food only, but I drink a lot, so if we're talking total fast I really doubt it. Besides, I can't even seem to manage eating only during daylight hours, let alone NOT eating during daylight hours :\

RI, that sounds like a sentence that would precede "Who ya gonna call . . . Ghost Busters."

prospector, IIRC, the late-great-OMB had a terrific blueberry pancake recipe . . . and he roasted coffee beans at home to make the perfect brew!!! OMB, may his memory will last forever!! (Here's hoping I do not get deleted for even mentioning THE name.)

ms_canada 6 years, 11 months ago

OMB OMB OMB a rose by any other name would smell as sweet I don't think I could do it. I am not a person with a strong will power. My church encourages us to fast on Mondays. Fasting is definitely a ritual involving faith. One thing we are taught is that fasting and heavy work do not go together. Fast days are planned to be days of ease and prayer. If you have a heavy job to do, put the fasting off for another day. Hey there, TOB, how goes the battle with those ravenous grey squirrels? Have you any tomatoes left? I still have my one little red squirrel who comes daily for his ration of pecans which he takes out of my hand. He loves peanuts too. What a spoiled little brat he is. But he does not touch my tomatoes. My little chipmunks are still here. I just love the little guys. I thought that there were three of them all summer but the other day four of them were scurrying around the corner of the patio where we put out the little black sunflower seeds for them. They are so darling, I will miss them when they go to their burrows for the winter.

Ceallach 6 years, 11 months ago

ms_c: apparently the word is reaching the chipmunk community . . "Eat at Ms_C's". Hopefully, when the chipmunks go to burrow, the rabbits will return. Then you'll still have "furry babies" to nurture.

Ceallach 6 years, 11 months ago

In the spiritual arena, required fasting seems too legalistic to me. Too much like a "Will work for food" sign, except it is a will fast for spiritual reward sign. I would also disagree with making such a public display of your fast. The only time I have successfully "fasted" was when I needed to clear my mind of clutter to focus on a specific area of concern, whether or not it related to me directly or required active participation on my part. For spiritual rewards I'm dependent on mercy and grace.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 11 months ago

I'm not sure my metabolism would allow it. I have had a few too many experiences where I went a little bit too long without eating and I nearly collapsed. Perhaps if I did nothing all day, it might work, but I'm just not sure.

Ultimately, I think fasting is a good thing for those who feel compelled to do so, but it is not a requirement of faith.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 11 months ago

My blood sugar and blood pressure would not allow it. Someone would have to scrape me up off of the floor.

Snap, just for fun, I'm baring my ankles today. Oh, and I'm also wearing flip flops, so there will be some toe-cleavage involved.

ms_canada 6 years, 11 months ago

sgt & ceallach - good comments on fasting. I believe fasting is a very personal thing. Each person has their own reason to fast. Which is unlike the muslim requirement. I would have no doubt that there are many muslims who would rather not fast. As you say ceal, fasting can have a very beneficial effect when done for a certain reason. I have a good friend who, when in a difficult situation, fasted for 40 days. She ate no solid food, only fruit and veg juice and broth and water of course. She spent a lot of time in prayer and told me that it was the best thing that she had ever done and would do it again if it was needed. And Marion, it is not a sick thing as you say. It takes a lot of discipline and strength of character and belief to undertake such a demanding effort. If done for the right reasons it is commendable. IMHO.

b_asinbeer 6 years, 11 months ago

It's not just eating that one refrains from. No smoking, no alcohol allowed either. Good luck to all you smokers out there!

Flap Doodle 6 years, 11 months ago

BTW, I suspect that OMB (of blessed memory) thinks kindly of his former comrades on this board.

idarastar 6 years, 11 months ago

Muslims who abide by the rules do not smoke or consume anything containing alcohol. So this would not be a problem. The elderly, sick, and pregnant are exempt from fasting.

Ceallach 6 years, 11 months ago

Elderly, sick and pregnant . . . a woman's worst nightmare :)

dminear60 6 years, 11 months ago

I wonder what age "elderly" is?

sunflower_sue 6 years, 11 months ago

I don't consider myself at all "elderly," but the thought of being pregnant right now tends to make me feel slightly sick.

Ceal, you shouldn't call Ms_C a harlot! she's only expressing her views. ;D

dminear60 6 years, 11 months ago

sunflower_sue: I do not think I am "elderly" either but I know I am much too old to even joke about being pregnant! Been there, done that, bought the T-shirt!

JoRight 6 years, 11 months ago

must. . .resist. . . over-consumption. . .comment. . .

But, to answer the question, fasting an entire day would be pretty darn easy for me. . .at which point I'd come to the realization that I'm flippin' hungry and eat 2 chipotle burritos.

erod0723 6 years, 11 months ago

It would really suck to be a Muslim in Alaska right about now.....

sunflower_sue 6 years, 11 months ago

RI, that was just mean...but to tell the truth, the collar didn't bother me that much...really!

Ceallach 6 years, 11 months ago

RI, that was really funny. Although, I'd probably laugh out loud . . . just one more thing theocratically placed outside my reach :):)

Sigmund 6 years, 11 months ago

Oh great the PC police are out in force again!!!! And all I said was if I fasted during daylight hours I wasn't sure I'd have enough energy to meet out Allah's wrath on the infidels. To be fair, much more crude things are said of Christians and Jews with no one bothering to delete those comments.

Godot 6 years, 11 months ago

This is a regular practice of anoerxics. Anorerxia is a recognized psychological disord

Godot 6 years, 11 months ago

Was the hookah bar open today?

Flap Doodle 6 years, 11 months ago

Here's how some people are celebrating Ramadan:

"9/15/07 - CAIRO, Egypt) - The leader of al-Qaida in Iraq offered money for the murder of a Swedish cartoonist and his editor who recently produced images deemed insulting to Islam, according to a statement carried by Islamist Web sites Saturday.

In a half hour audio file entitled "They plotted yet God too was plotting," Abu Omar al-Baghdadi also named the other insurgent groups in Iraq that al-Qaida was fighting and promised new attacks, particularly against the minority Yazidi sect.

"We are calling for the assassination of cartoonist Lars Vilks who dared insult our Prophet, peace be upon him, and we announce a reward during this generous month of Ramadan of $100,000 for the one who kills this criminal," the transcript on the Web site said.

The al-Qaida leader upped the reward for Vilks' death to $150,000 if he was "slaughtered like a lamb" and offered $50,000 for the killing of the editor of Nerikes Allehanda, the Swedish paper that printed Vilks' cartoon of the Prophet Muhammad with a dog's body on Aug. 19."

Sigmund 6 years, 11 months ago

In light of the above, this Western infidel would like to apologize to Abu Omar al-Baghdadi for my blasphemy that fasting during the daylight hours for a month might leave one too weak to bring Allah's wrath down upon the necks of the unbeliever. I am sure that Allah will give his followers strength, or forgive his followers breaking of the fast, for such a holy endeavor and furthering his Fatwa.

Forgive and forget, right?

Crossfire 6 years, 11 months ago

I could fast a month, but at the end I might just want to start up a gee-hawd, by-gawd.

GretchenJP 6 years, 11 months ago

Dear lord noooooooooooooooooooo

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 11 months ago

Do I think I could fast during daylight hours for a month?

Certainly... just not ALL of them.