Previous   Next

What is your favorite meal to eat in Lawrence?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 13, 2007

Browse the archives

“I’m going to have to say the chicken chimichangas from La Parrilla.”

“Pizza’s my favorite, so I would have to go with anything from Papa Keno’s.”

“I like the gyros from Aladdin Cafe. I think they have the best pita.”

“The filet mignon at Wa. I love Japanese food, and I think it’s the best steak in Lawrence.”

Related story

Comments

Crispian Paul 6 years, 7 months ago

DonQuipunch (Anonymous) says:

Crispian Paul

Crispian (Crispian Paul) says:

Yello Sub-Gross! Buffalo Bob's-Grosser! Bob Schumm-Grossest! (Also a huge bigot)<<<

Okay, I'll bite.

At first, I was intrigued by the comment that Schumm is some sort of bigot. But then I remembered to consider the usage of the word "bigot" in the context of Lawrence, and specifically the RR forums.

So, dare I ask, upon what criterion are you basing this statement? Do tell.

When I was in school at KU in Social Work, we were given an article about homeless people in Lawrence and the Homeless SUpport Initiatives at Bert Nash. Bob Schumm said something to the effect of "If homeless people want to pay to eat, McDonald's is right down the street." (that's when there was a McD's on Mass St.) He then went on to say he did not like the homeless and would not want any homeless person in his restaurants, even if they were paying customers. So I say that is bigotry. I know there have been plenty of times that I, on Sunday mornings, have gone out looking like a vagrant. At the same time, I have seen many clean, appropriately dressed homeless people in Lawrence. Not getting into the topic of railing on the homeless, but to me, his statements mean that he must prejudge any individual who comes into his businesses and decide whether or not they are "worthy" of purchasing food in his establishments. That, to me, defines bigotry.

Mkh 6 years, 7 months ago

You people seriously eat some disgusting food. If this thread has proven anything, it is that.

Lawrence dinning I think it fairly pathetic these days. The only thing I can always count on is Free State. Pachamama's is usually extremely good, but yes it's overpriced. Teller's is a little cheaper, but not as consistant. The only newer place that has a chance is Ingrediant, it's pretty darn tastey, and I like that I can add my own ingrediants.

Anything else I'd say your taking a gamble. Zen Zero sucks, weak imitation Asian food. Thai House used to be good, but is slacking. The new Italian place Genovese is an absolute tasteless, overpriced joke. Ten is certainly the Worst though! Overpriced dog chow!

I could go on, but it's a waste of time. I can cook a better meal in my kitchen than any place in town.

ranger73 6 years, 7 months ago

Valentinos is a pizza joint that started in Lincoln many years ago. Still there and booming.

Biggs beats Bobs hands down, especially the ribs.

Runzas also started in Lincoln, and are really and acquired taste-you either love 'em or hate 'em. Kinda like White Castle Sliders. Speaking of which, wish there still was one near by.

Bucky's used to have the best fries, but the switched to the coated nasty type and now they taste funny.

Big Boy at about 9th used to be great for burgers. Also Amigos-late night runs for crisp meat burritos...

TheEleventhStephanie 6 years, 7 months ago

OMG, Mojo's. Phat Elvis. A pint of Ben and Jerry's--delivered! Good gawd, ya'll!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 7 months ago

My favorite meal?

That would be my NEXT meal.

herbalife4life1 6 years, 7 months ago

Topeka is too depressing....the downtown architecture makes me want to hang myself.

none2 6 years, 7 months ago

Marion says... "Go to Kansas City and get some food!"

Kansas City is a great place to find a job to make decent money, something that is like a diamond in the sand here in Lawrence. Since I go to the trouble of commuting to the KC metro area to make a decent wage, why would I want to spend it on over priced, under quality food their? I want my money's worth. Some say it is the atmosphere that attracts customers to KC, but I think it must be attitude. There really is only one place I like to eat in the metro area: Cinzetti's in Overland Park.

Oh I should mention Topeka... Topeka had a wonderful restaurant for years. I forget the last name it had, but it used to be Valentino's. They were located near 29th & Gage. They left that chain, and I don't remember what the name changed to when they left. Unfortunately, about 6 to 9 months ago, I went to eat there . There was a note that they went out of business. I don't know why they closed, but I do miss them. Lawrence used to have a Valentino's, but it couldn't compare to the one that was in Topeka. Whomever was the owner, I would like to say thanks for all the years that you were open.

none2 6 years, 7 months ago

I should have added the a category for best ads...

Spangels. I just love their advertisements. They all seem so home grown. Whether it is young kids, teens, adults, seniors in their commercials, they all seem to be local (or at least regional) talent.
I would LOVE to see them thrive. Unfortunately, I do not care for their food -- too bland. Likewise, I don't understand a place that wants to be nostalgic about food from the 1950's, but doesn't offer malts. Nevertheless, I'm glad that others do like their bland food because I'd really miss their commercials if they left Lawrence.

I cannot think of the name, but I do like the commercial for a new pizza buffet for $3.99. I cannot imagine getting much for $3.99, but I cannot get that jingle, " waiting for youuuu", out of my head. I don't think it would ever win a grammy, but it is clever. You also cannot help but like the pretty little girl with the bright blue eyes. She reminds me of Shirley Temple.

hk45 6 years, 7 months ago

My favorites:

Yokohoma Sushi El Mezcal

Good vittles!!!!!!

herbalife4life1 6 years, 7 months ago

For people to say that Kansas City serves good food...well there is just no comparison to going to Gates on State and 18th in KCK. The manager there was extremely nice and accommodating...a restaurant experience is half the food and the other half is the service, and both were fantastic. Also Dos Amigos sells the best fast Mexican food in KCK...again on State but nearer 23rd? But Seriously folks.....don't support national chains that would otherwise choke out local businesses(AKA Starbucks, Papa John's, Wal-Mart.....but esp. Starbucks, or as i like to call them Charbucks), local is so much better than national. Don't think there is a niche being properly filled in Lawrence....then get the American spirit and capitalize on the deficiency!

herbalife4life1 6 years, 7 months ago

And seriously Papa Keno's?!?! Yikes, try enjoying ALL of Lawrence before you make those sort of comments public!

herbalife4life1 6 years, 7 months ago

A growler of copperhead from Freestate while enjoying a Taxi from YelloSub....good eatin'!

GretchenJP 6 years, 7 months ago

Boyyyyy you could just sit in that restaurant and feel your arteries clogging couldn't you? Taco Grande also used to serve the best fast food mexican.

Keith 6 years, 7 months ago

But only the Aztec when it was downtown where the bakery is now, just cuz the atmosphere of the place added to the enjoyment of the food. I used to order pints of the chili dip and if you kept it in the styrofoam container, after a few days the chili oil started to ooze through the styrofoam. Mmmm good industrial strength solvent there.

GretchenJP 6 years, 7 months ago

Oh boy YES, The Aztec Inn!! The BEST BEST BEST Mexican in this state or any other. HOW I miss that place. Their chips and bean dip were slap yo momma good.

Dixie Jones 6 years, 7 months ago

i miss aztec inn now that was some good food folks.. but i would have to say lets get a margaritas in town now thats some GREAT food

GretchenJP 6 years, 7 months ago

aquakej: You are right about The Eldridge... my dad took my fiance and I there not long ago... hi dad! The peppercorn steak and the parmesan steak... ohhhhhhh... I'm drooling.

RKLOG 6 years, 7 months ago

My grill, my house, my steak, my oh my :)

Marion Lynn 6 years, 7 months ago

none2:

India Palace serves food with the curry.

Perkins great.

silas an Maddy's: OK, I suppose but a long way to go to meet the old ice cream store standard!

Mad Greek:

Without compare.

Einstein's:

Prepackaged crap. The stuff is shipped in frozen, including the dough from which the bagels are made.

Corporate sludge.

Panera:

Why bother?

Chai and Ji?

Go to Kansas City and get some food!

purplesage 6 years, 7 months ago

I think that Mongolian BBQ place on 23rd is pretty decent, but have only been there once. Buffalo Bob's BBQ - the "Smoky Joe" sandwich- is good. El Mezcal, at lunch - too high for what it is at dinner and they need some more green sauce on the menu. Pepper Jax - but Chartrose Caboose in OP has 'em beat.

none2 6 years, 7 months ago

Best: The Indian buffet is great at the India Palace, and a few pointed out their Chicken Masala. They also have REALLY Great tea. Someone commented about the atmosphere there, I have no idea what the complaint is. Sure it is busy and can be crowded at times; but it looks & smells clean, and it it doesn't have loud music.

Perkins:   deserts -- especially their chocolate malt.  Yes I know they are a chain, but few places in town make good malts.  Any place that serves shakes, but does not offer malts is a subpar place in my books.

Ice Cream -- Sylas and Maddy's Homemade Ice Cream.  I do wish they would take the Discover card.

Mad Greek is great.  Realize that popular places are crowded.

Einsteins:  Again a chain, but I love their locks and begals.

House of CHa! -- Yes their  Bubble Tea is good, I just don't go their very often.

Need improvement:
Panera -- The food is ok if you like children's portions. However, If they are going to serve such small portions they should charge children's prices. They also close when children go to bed, so maybe there is a connection.

Jin Shans -- need to take more forms of payment.

none2 6 years, 7 months ago

Woodduck_5363 (Anonymous) says: "There is no place to really eat and take out of town guest to here in Lawrence. And that is a shame to say. We have to go to Kansas City to really know what food is to taste like and enjoyed.

You have two or three of the same restaurants all over town with nasty food and servers. I will not spend my money at any resturant here. SORRY!!!!!

Kansas City gets my vote thumbs up."

As someone who commutes to KC 5 days a week, I seldom eat there anymore. I got tired of the high prices, poor quality food, & poor service. KC is only for people with attitude, fat wallets, and bad sense of smell and taste.

Marion Lynn 6 years, 7 months ago

Cheeseburgers at The Legends beats everyplace but Johnny's for burgers.

Woodduck_5363 6 years, 7 months ago

Kansas City gets my vote thumbs up.

Oracle_of_Rhode 6 years, 7 months ago

Mexican: El Matador in North Lawrence Fast Food: Local Burger Upscale: New Hampshire Bistro Deli: The Merc Hot Dog: Sun Dog

hawklet21 6 years, 7 months ago

Jason's Deli does royally suck, but their broccoli cheese soup is soooo gooooood. My favorite meal would have to be a grilled veggie rice bowl at La Parilla. Or beef praram at Thai House. And Free State has one helluva tuna salad sandwich. Anything from Teller's, as long as I'm not buying!! I'm going to stop, before I get hungry.

Mr_Ramirez 6 years, 7 months ago

Taco Casa was good stuff.

but of course there cant be any good restaurants on the WEST side of town..............the horror...

Marion Lynn 6 years, 7 months ago

bugmenot wrote:

"More interesting and divisive:

Worst meal in Lawrence in restaurants past or present?

I'm going with anything from Jason's Deli"

Marion writes:

I would not feed hogs anything from Pachamama's.

The Mass Street Deli had deteriorated to preparing biowaste good only for composting before it closed.

Quentin's sells stuff that doesn't even pass for bar food.

Freestate is excellent.

Teller's is without compare.

Johnny's has the best burger this side of Westport.

Rudy's pizza.................mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

sloppyscience 6 years, 7 months ago

eat'a fajita sandwich and 12 of "the buff" wings from mojos. I'm boycotting local burger simply because they reside in the place of my lost love.

kugrad 6 years, 7 months ago

Thanks Lazz, I did mean Genovese. I couldn't recall the name. First time a real chef has been in this town. Heck, I can cook gourmet food better than the hacks at Pachamamas. That place is horrible. In addition to a couple of weddings and my mom wanting to go there a couple times, I've ordered there myself 3 times. Three different years, three different menu items, Three horrible meals.

El Matador is my favorite place to eat in town. Laid back, nice folks, good food, great prices, and if you are lucky Joe will come out and sing!

Genovese is fantastic. Everything Pachamamas wishes it could be.

Nick Yoho 6 years, 7 months ago

Another word about Joe and Family at Taco Casa.We miss you!! These were the most hospitable and friendly "resturanteurs" I have ever met.The road construction at 6th and Wak (and high rent)put them out of business.These folks treated everyone like a long lost friend.If anyone deserved to succeed these folks did!free drinks for the kids-always.what kind people.Yummy fast mex too!

Nick Yoho 6 years, 7 months ago

well now pickins are a bit slim these days. Cornucopia was awesome,my parents would travel from Topeka to eat there for maybe a decade.(mid 70s to mid 80s?)

Freestate fish and chips and beer is awesome.As is nearly everything on the Menu.

Thai Siam,haven't had anything I didn't like. "homestyle bean curd" made a tofu lover out of me.

Biggs BBQ, I'm surprised no one has mentioned them.Pretty good food,great specials!They seem to be "trying hard",rather than just existing. Happy hour rib tips and fries for $2.99?sign me up! "twice baked hot potato salad" is awesome .All you can eat rib tips often as well.

The Merc has a good healthy lunch buffet,when not under construction.

most of the others have been covered.

Worst: Runza "what are those pocket things called?"Salty Iguana is terrible.Taco Johns ewwwww.

there is not a good "fast food"taco in Lawrence.Taco Casa got *ucked by the city,and high rent.

I travel to Topeka occasionally for for Tortilla Jacks fast Mexican food.I like real Mex too,there is plenty of that here.

Bradafuturejayhalk 6 years, 7 months ago

There's a lot of great food in Lawrence. I can't really choose. Biggs BBQ, Rudy's, Pizza Shuttle, BK lounge, etc. It goes on and on!

staff04 6 years, 7 months ago

A bread bowl and 1/2 a McQuinton on a cold day...and maybe a couple of tall brews too...

aquakej 6 years, 7 months ago

No one has really mentioned steaks yet...the best filets I've ever had came from the Ten Restaurant inside of the Eldridge Hotel. Their parmesan-encrusted filet is REALLY tasty!

bugmenot 6 years, 7 months ago

More interesting and divisive:

Worst meal in Lawrence in restaurants past or present?

I'm going with anything from Jason's Deli.

nettieb 6 years, 7 months ago

I'm a HUGE fan of Local Burger, but alas, the service does leave much to be desired.

Marion Lynn 6 years, 7 months ago

I prefer the Shrimp Etouffe at Jazz in Westport.

JJE007 6 years, 7 months ago

stuck, I do remember getting good, cheap food there. My experience was JUST before they closed and it was bad. I and wife1 (I wonder whatever happened to her?) got evil smelling, overcooked round steak, a half inch thick. And we did watch a large rat walk down the MIDDLE of the aisle and through a hole in the next booth!~)

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 7 months ago

JJE007 Really? Damn... I use to have excellent t-bone steak dinners and Strick's... Wednesday evenings... I believe it was... and in the mid-80s it was still $6... Great steaks... cooked perfectly...

Defender 6 years, 7 months ago

"Thai-Siam: panang chicken curry"

Logicsound, you aren't kidding. Anyone who hasn't tried this is at Thai-Siam should go there TODAY!!!

JJE007 6 years, 7 months ago

I long for the thin, green, leathery steak dinner special at Strick's Diner...to perhaps some day pass from my mind...or at least from my digestive system...as a rat passes...down the aisle of my last Strick's dinner memory...again...down the aisle and through the gnawed hole of an adjoining Strick's booth...

Good times. Good times.

Tychoman 6 years, 7 months ago

Runza, Pizza Shuttle, Taco John's, Papa Keno's. I can't choose.

getserious 6 years, 7 months ago

Jefferson's has by far the best wings and burgers in town. Chipolte buritos, yum. India Palace, chicken tika marsalla-heaven. Zen Zero-Pad Tai

Centrist 6 years, 7 months ago

Salty Iguana is the WORST place I've ever been to ... how do they stay in business? Their "food" is disgusting and service even worse.

El Mez and Jade are good value and fairly 'honest' food, too.

New Hampshire Bistro has v.good quality food.

autie 6 years, 7 months ago

It's all good. Free State gumbo with oatmeal stout, India Palace and my brother in law's back yard..

somewhereintime 6 years, 7 months ago

The lunch buffet at The Bird on Fridays. You guys need to get out more often....or was that supposed to be a secret. Oops.....my bad.

awl 6 years, 7 months ago

kookamooka, i just saw your post...that's really funny, secret handshake? seriously? they are a wonderful asset to the community and i think it's great that they are here. lawrence should be thankful that a restaurant of that calibur is located in lawrence.

Marion Lynn 6 years, 7 months ago

Vista Burgers.

What?

never mind

H_Lecter 6 years, 7 months ago

The pecan pie was great at Hole In The Wall too...even through an alcohol-induced...er I mean, even after studying until 2:00am.

Today (the short list), Best desserts: Longhorn's Chocolate Stampede and Old Chicago's cheesecake Best Steak: Longhorn Best fast food. Chipotle's Soft Tacos. Best Sushi: Wa Best Italian: Paisanos Best BBQ: My grill

GretchenJP 6 years, 7 months ago

JayhawkAlum03: Yes I DO remember Jenning's... I was born in Lawrence back in the 60's and stayed until 2000... just moved back after being in Georgia for 7 years. It's good to be home again... the more things change the more they stay the same. What about Hole In The Wall that used to be on 9th Street?? Remember those boxed lunches with the pickle?? My mom and I used to get those... damn I was young then... I think dinosaurs were roaming the earth. ;o)

GretchenJP 6 years, 7 months ago

bretherite: Come back to Lawrence! I'm glad I came back!

JayhawkAlum03: You are right about Vista!! How I MISS that place!!

My favorite meal to eat in Lawrence?? WHY a buck-a-roo and a famous ice cream cone at BUCKY'S of course!! How could Bucky's not be mentioned my fellow Jayhawkers?? What could be more DEElish than something coming out of a brown bag with a big grease spot on it?? Healthy Smealthy, give me a Bucky Burger and bring on the heart attack!!

JayhawkAlum03 6 years, 7 months ago

All of this got me thinking about my favorite no longer existent restaurants in Lawrence:

Razzy's: Healthy, good, inexpensive. We are still sad that it's gone. Pita pit can't even begin to compare. Vista: Great burgers. Always make a point of stopping (very briefly!) when I pass through Manhattan on the way to visit family. Panchos: Nobody hardly knew the place existed, but it was hands-down the best Mexican food in town, I thought. Paradise Cafe: Just yummy. I am happy to be the proud owner of an original Paradise booth that never was used in the shop.

Anybody remember Jenning's Daylight Donuts? How bout Pup's? I'm thinking I lived in Lawrence for way too long:-)

Kookamooka 6 years, 7 months ago

Don't you have to know the super secret handshake to get in to Krause's? Or have some sort of special invitation written on paper with invisible ink? Or be a member of the Lawrence elite? Or Batman? or someone important? Most of Lawrence doesn't even know Krause's exists? I figure the guy likes it that way. I hope you don't get in trouble, awl, for revealing the secret?

deskboy04 6 years, 7 months ago

I would have said the Pork Tenderloin at Bucky's...but they've changed it, and while it is still good, it is nothing like the old pork tenderloin.

How about the buffet at the Peking Taste? Pretty tought to beat that!

cryineyes 6 years, 7 months ago

The Speedy Gonzales for lunch at El Mezcal and I dream of the fish and chips at Free state..

awl 6 years, 7 months ago

Krause Dining is my favorite! Robert Krause is one of the most talented chefs and always has AMAZING food!

denak 6 years, 7 months ago

The Enchiladas verde with chicken at Ixtapas. Love them!!!!!!!!!!!!!

sunflower_sue 6 years, 7 months ago

Kookamooka, Not in Lawrence but might be worth your 15 minute drive to Tongie. Bitler's has a homemade pie case. The hubby is very fond of "sour-cream and raisin" (sugar rush!) and my daughter had a slice of strawberry rhubarb (a la mode, of course) that twernt too bad.

maxcrabb 6 years, 7 months ago

Vermont Street BBQ on Tuesday nights, $1 draws, including Ad Astra, Copperhead, and... the Golden Wheat maybe?

Enchilada Suizas at La Parilla.

Ingredient is also very tasty, with plentiful servings. I always go for the custom salad, throwing in some grilled chicken for a couple extra bucks.

Wa is very nice, but I feel weird eating there sometimes (depending on the crowd and wait staff). I don't have peircings or tattoos, I have good personal hygiene, but you wear basketball shorts to a Sushi bar and people stare daggers.

I bet I tip better than all of them anyway.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 6 years, 7 months ago

Oh yeah, and Indian Tacos, especially from that Native American church over on Haskell.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 6 years, 7 months ago

Anything from Amee's Coffee House, La Parilla, Zen Zero, and the Thai House. Oh, and Ixtapa.

lazz 6 years, 7 months ago

kugrad, you mean Genovese, and I second your motion. The Roma pizza there is fabulous. Let's not forget two locally owned fast-food veterans: Bucky's (the double cheese is still a classic, the Buckaroo is ultimate indulgence) and Border Bandido (the Texas!)

kugrad 6 years, 7 months ago

El Matador Cafe! Give me a homestyle enchilada, some bean burritos on corn tortillas, a cold beer, I'm in heaven! The new Italian place downtown, Giovani's (I think that is the name) is excellent as well. Get whatever the special is so you know the chef was in charge of it! When you eat a lamb chop at Giovani's, you will never pay 3 times as much for 1/4 of the flavor at Pachamama's again!

ralphralph 6 years, 7 months ago

Fish tacos at La Parilla, with Mexican beer. Anything with bread and/or pasta at Free State, with a beer. Pachamama's ... had some incredible grilled lamb there ... 'bout died when I got the tab.

bretherite 6 years, 7 months ago

Reading this makes me homesick for Lawrence. My fave? anything at Zen Zero.

Kookamooka 6 years, 7 months ago

I LOVE local burger and I don't mind paying those prices for local but....it would be easier to spend the extra money if I could sit in a comfy booth and get waited on. It just isn't a "kick back and hang" vibe.

Kookamooka 6 years, 7 months ago

I agree about Pachamama's. Some friends and I went and got the "artisan" cheese plate which was cheddar and brie with three, and I reiterate, exactly three crackers. I don't know about y'all but I don't consider cheddar and brie "artisan" and I don't care who makes them. And come on...if they can't choke up a few more crackers I'm betting they are in the red.

Sadly, this forum confirms what I've always suspected. There are just a few places in town worth eating at and once you've eaten there 100 times, you have to go to KC for more interesting offerings.

P.S. Where do you get a decent home cooked slice of pie in this town, that isn't Perkins? The merc?

thebcman 6 years, 7 months ago

I'm kinda partial to the vinegar-soaked catfish bait myself.

idarastar 6 years, 7 months ago

The Masta Mix Salad at Local Burger! I get it with quinoa instead of the rice. It's awesome! :)

Azure_Attitude 6 years, 7 months ago

The Ahi tuna steak at Tellers. Get it blackened and you have orgasm on a plate.

I agree that Pachamamma's is horrendously over priced and the food is undercooked. YOu don't serve chicken uncooked in the middle. It was gross.

swamp_rat 6 years, 7 months ago

What they pass off as beef at local burger might as well be cardboard. It tastes as though the beef has been raised on nothing but prairie grass and thistles. Nasty stuff!

i_have_only_valid_opinions 6 years, 7 months ago

The food is decent at Thai Siam, but the service is horrendous. The "him and her" cook duo are soooooooooooooo slow and not polite at all. The last time I went to eat there, they had 8 people in line to order, no cashier to be found, the cooks had nothing on cooking at all and they were standing there watching TV ignoring everyone. So...I turned off the TV for them and told them to start providing some service. I know that was kind a$$hole of me, but I have given them a good chunk of my pay check over the years and expeect to at least be acknowledged.

Salty Iguana has the best chips and salsa.

Confrontation 6 years, 7 months ago

I have to second "The chicken schwarma at Aladdin's Cafe." Their Gyros are far superior than those at Mad Greek or anywhere else in town.

The white cheese bean dip at El Mezcal is extremely addictive.

Shrimp spring rolls with plum sauce at Jade.

I've yet to find a decent pizza place in town. Every time I go to Papa Keno's, I end up with tasteless and dry pizza, regardless of the type I order.

Orange Roughy at MidWest Fish Frye. Best fried fish in town.

Birthday Cake or Rock Chocolate Jayhawk ice cream at Sylas & Maddy's.

DonQuipunch 6 years, 7 months ago

Incidentally, I love the Mad Greek.

Pachamama's has the best Filet I've ever tasted and their Apple Tartlets are amazing. It's stupid-expensive, but the food is really good.

Still though, I can get miserable at the Mad Greek 2 or 3 times for the cost of one trip to Pachamama's.

Staci Dark Simpson 6 years, 7 months ago

shrimp tacos and brazilian lemonade from La Parilla

fajitas and margaritas and white cheese dip- El Mezcal

hot wings - Wayne and Larry's

pizza - I love me a Rudy's pie

Ok I am hungry now

JJE007 6 years, 7 months ago

Gosh...almost forgot how much I love India Palace. The atmosphere can only be tolerated for the love of an all you can eat experience, though.

JJE007 6 years, 7 months ago

I love a fresh Free State's Copperhead, or three, as a meal with a chunk of prime rib for dessert...danged satisfying. Having one at Vermont St. BBQ with some spare ribs or a turkey leg is awesome. I can't resist a pie from Papa Keno's. A white pie with sausage, green olives and pepperoncini is deadly good. The gal and I eat at Zero Zen a bit. She likes it...says the same dish is never prepared the same but most dishes taste so much the same that it doesn't matter!~) I think she just likes the lichee "martinis". A couple of bowls of hot and sour soup from Plum Tree is great. Pad thai from Thai Siam is a heaping helping of goodness. I'm a fan of the empanadas at La Familia. Ixtapa is good but less enticing as its prices soar. A root beer float at Sheridan's always hits the spot.

Eating at home is frequently the best meal in town. If you can snag some sushi grade ahi at The Merc you're good to go. A few pounds of king crab costs less than eating out and is pretty danged OK despite the long frozen journey to Kansas. Heck. I'd rather eat boiled squirrel with garlic butter, italian parsley and serranos on fettucini than pay the prices at most places in town!~) I'm a cheap b@$+@rd, eh? ... What, honey? You want to eat at Zen Zero? OK. Yeah. I'd love some (overpriced and overcooked, snotty) noodles (served by a surly snot'le).

DonQuipunch 6 years, 7 months ago

Crispian Paul

Crispian (Crispian Paul) says:

Okay, I'll bite.

So, dare I ask, upon what criterion are you basing this statement? Do tell.

logicsound04 6 years, 7 months ago

Freestate Brewery: fish n' chips Tortas Jaliscos: torta de tinga 23rd St. Brewery: Ignacio's Brewhaus Nachos Thai-Siam: panang chicken curry First Watch: cajun omelette Yello Sub: chicken parmesan Marisco's: tilapia w/ rice pilaf and pine nuts

Crispian Paul 6 years, 7 months ago

Oh yeah, Local Burger has the best hamburgers and hot dogs in town, great salads too!

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 7 months ago

Tuna platter and a milkshake at Steak & Shake.

Crispian Paul 6 years, 7 months ago

PIzza-Papa Keno's Brewhouse chicken salad without fried onions and with ranch dressing-Freestate Latin-Quesadilla Suiza without avocado at La Parilla.

Not a fan of PAchamama's. I think they are way overrated.

Cafe Beautifull is the Bomb...but expensive. So I usually eat sushi at Wa....no shellfish unless you want to see me swell up and stop breathing....

Cynthia Walker 6 years, 7 months ago

Chicken Tikka Masala at India Palace - yummy! Oh, and coffee and lemon sunshine cake at Milton's for dessert.

zettapixel 6 years, 7 months ago

The fajitas Jalisco at Cielito Lindo!

acg 6 years, 7 months ago

I forgot all about Henry T's. Back when I had a life that didn't revolve around my children and their activities du jour I used to go to Henry T's every Wed for quarter wings and $2.00 pitchers. They have killer wings.

gogoplata 6 years, 7 months ago

Henry Ts cheeseburger and waffle fries. And I can't leave out Copperhead Pale Ale.

John Spencer 6 years, 7 months ago

One with my family that is not saturated in fat like most of the offerings of Lawrence!

Although I also miss YelloSub on campus.

sunflower5 6 years, 7 months ago

My favorite Lawrence meal is from Yello Sub, although I preferred the store on Campus. I am sorry to see it go. The 'Yello Sub' sandwich of course!

gypsy10 6 years, 7 months ago

Oh Goodness! Lawrence & all the choices? How can we pick just one? My addiction = Bubble Tea - House of CHa! As for food, depends on the mood. Greek - The Mad Greek & the Gyros Dinner Plate w/ the green beans. Zen Zero - Just about anything! La Parrilla - Fish Taco's or the Chicken Mulato Salad Ixtapa - Anything with PORK! The list could go on and on, but I shall stop because I am STARVING now! Thanks all ;)

beekone 6 years, 7 months ago

Chicken rice bowl, La Parrilla

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 7 months ago

Defender -

Not a Bob Schumm fan, eh? I agree with your post except I never have managed to eat at Zen Zero and Culver's makes me poop. Good, but my bowells are rumbling before I get home.

jonas 6 years, 7 months ago

Cafe Beautiful is upstairs, above Creation Station. The door upstairs is to the right of the store.

Defender 6 years, 7 months ago

Pachamama's is the most over priced, horrible place I have ever eaten. not exactly sure how anyone can think that stale, undercooked food is good. Buffalo Bob's is a close second for the most dirty, disgusting, and nasty food in the city. Thank God Mass St Deli closed, do not know how that terrible place stayed in business at all. Free State is always great, and probably the most consistant in this town. Zen Zero, Tortas Jalisco, Thai Siam, all darn good. For fast food, Culver's beats everyone at what they do, hands down.

prospector 6 years, 7 months ago

Oatmeal Stout, a loaf of bread in every glass. Man can live by bread alone.

Ceallach 6 years, 7 months ago

Pretty much all of the above. For lunch I do enjoy a spinach, mushroom and feta cheese slice from Papa's!

Going over the comments makes me realize that I probably see at least one person from this board whenever I eat out. So the next time you glance up and someone is looking your way, just give them a smile and a nod, and I'll do the same back at ya :)

snoozey 6 years, 7 months ago

Nothing original from me; I have to agree w Free State for a pint w fish & chips. It's the most Lawrency restaurant in Lawrence since Paradise closed its doors

Flap Doodle 6 years, 7 months ago

Noodle-type stuff at Zen Zero. Vote for RuPaul!

ive_got_my_ascot_n_my_dickie 6 years, 7 months ago

Oriental Chicken Salad from Applebee's is the best!!

BABBOY 6 years, 7 months ago

Pappa Kenos or Mad Greek. I like Rudy's too but wife doesn't. Free State when it is not crowed

smitty 6 years, 7 months ago

TOB, those are once a year meals at my house. The bisquits are made without a recipe like my mother made many years ago and are my kids favorites when they visit. We were raised on a farm with real churned butter for the flackiest bisquits ever and the taste was perfect with the sour cream butter that you just can't get in the stores.

What I really eat on a daily basis:

Grilled chicken breasts on field greens with raspberry vinergarette or blue cheese, steamed veggies, wine or

Grilled salmon with home made mustard for dipping, garden in season veggies, wine or

hummus with entire bulb of fresh garlic(recipe calls for 3 cloves), good pita, parley, cucumber slices, tomato, grilled chicken, micro brewery beer

grilled smeiga(sp?) hot saugage over pasta, red sauce, fresh steamed veggies, biiigggg bottle of chianti

George Foreman and I have an on going relationship now!

sunflower_sue 6 years, 7 months ago

The chicken schwarma at Aladdin's Cafe. Cheeseburger or pizza at Johnny's Slab o' Cheesecake at On the Border Milton's Breakfast sandwich at Milton's (over easy) Bread Plate at Wheatfield's Chicken Fajita burrito at Chipotle Buffet at Jin Shan's Artichoke chicken panini at Panera

samsnewplace 6 years, 7 months ago

Bar B Que at Buffalo Bob's Smokehouse or Chimichanga from El Mezcal or Backyard Burgers are great and I also love Pepperjax and also King Buffet.

Autumnleaf 6 years, 7 months ago

Luv me some El Mez..... I'm seriously addicted to the white cheese dip. I can't go a week or two without "neeeeeeeding" some. :)

So -chips, white cheese dip, salsa - from El Mez.... mmmm my fav.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 7 months ago

Steak and corn on the grill, and blackberry pie.

Also on the food topic, on Tuesday I had the opportunity to watch a Tigers game from a suite. I almost ate myself sick.

joey 6 years, 7 months ago

Almond Bubble Tea at House of CHa!!!!!!

acg 6 years, 7 months ago

I agree with trinity, there's way too much to choose from. Plus, every great restaurant specializes in something different, so you can't compare them. I could seriously go for a slice from Rudy's right now though. Pepperoni, extra cheese and lots of crushed red pepper on top. Mmmmm.

trinity 6 years, 7 months ago

that all depends on what time of day, and what i'm in the mood for! so many to choose from! :)

Fishman 6 years, 7 months ago

I'd have to say Ixtapa. Their homemade salsa and chips are the best, and their shrimp, rice, and vegtable dish is great. Their chimichanga are excellent too. For the past I still miss the Douglas County Pie from the Paradise Cafe down on Mass St. They were there for so long I always thought they'd always be there, but all good things seem to come to and end. Should be a run on lunch today so better get there early! And Merrill has so much time on his hands it scares me. I'd hate to have that kind of life where posting on here is my joy for the day. Sorry Merrill, just call it like it is.

schula 6 years, 7 months ago

TOB -- I had forgotten about Paradise. Their cinnamon rolls were to die for! I also liked it when they made french toast out of the left over cinnamon rolls. YUM-O!

unelectable 6 years, 7 months ago

Udon at Indo. Pad Thai at The Orient. Tacos and enchiladas at La Familia. And an Ad Astra at Free State. Yes that is one meal.

Kat Christian 6 years, 7 months ago

Mad Greek Combo at the Mad Greek. Awesome!!

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 7 months ago

It looks like Ron Paul is having Italian for lunch today. By himself. Surprise.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 7 months ago

Oh so many. Cheddar Ale soup and a pint or seven at Free State. And the fried chicken and bisquits at Smitty's. Oh gawd. Bisquits. Now you got me thinking of Paradise. Damn you, Smitty!!!

onrywmn 6 years, 7 months ago

Beef tacos and cheese dip at El Mezcal. YUM!!!

smitty 6 years, 7 months ago

home cooked comfort food IE:

fried chicken, bisquit, gravey, garden tomato, corn on the cob, deviled eggs, watermelon

beef and egg noodles, roasted carrots, celery, potato, onion, pineapple upside cake

turkey, dressing, baked sweet potato, waldorf salad, veggie and dip plate, pumpkin pie with real whipped cream

B L & tomato sandwich on great harvst multi grain bread, fired sweet potato curls, chocolate cake, ice cream

lipid profile appointment in two months to delay the doctor's wrath

Bassetlover 6 years, 7 months ago

Sweat Pea salad at In-gre-di-ent (it doesn't have peas in it). Best salad I've ever had in Lawrence, hands down.

Where is Cafe Beautiful?

northtown 6 years, 7 months ago

Anything at First watch!!!!!!!!!!!!!

psychofan 6 years, 7 months ago

Black bean quesadillas at Free State...or praram with tofu at the Thai House.
I'm gettin hungry...

aquakej 6 years, 7 months ago

I just loooooove that cheese dip and chips at Free State. That, followed by their black bean quesadillas is most definitely the best meal in town. Accompanied by a John Brown Ale, of course.

schula 6 years, 7 months ago

I like the swiss mushroom burger and fries at Runza

jonas 6 years, 7 months ago

You don't have to be the hit leader to be in the hall of fame. I'll never match Merrill. I have too much to do.

Pink_Sock 6 years, 7 months ago

Pork Pad Thai at Thai Siam...absolutely the best.

The Orient Pad Thai is now second.

blue73harley 6 years, 7 months ago

But what does Ron Paul like to eat when campaigning in Lawrence? That might sway my vote away from Lee Mercer Jr.

Jonas - ya ain't even close. Merrill is at 4,449 posts but if you discount the cutting and pasting, I think he only has about 13.

Foofabs 6 years, 7 months ago

I'm going to have to say Vote for Ron Paul for President!! Oh yeah and the Mad Greek is the best.

jonas 6 years, 7 months ago

3000 posts! Does that mean I'm a lock for the Hall of Fame? Barring gambling problems, of course.

jonas 6 years, 7 months ago

Definitely whatever Chef Suken has on his menu at Cafe Beautiful, followed closely by whatever is on the menu at Pachamama's. Hands down, two best restaurants in Lawrence, not to mention the priciest.

Pogo 6 years, 7 months ago

Everyone knows it's Bill's Red Lyon daily special. I suppose a close second might be the fries and chicken gravy at that place at 11th and Mass. that replaced the Cornucopia operation. Or a More Burger or even a Vista burger. The turkey salad at The Pentimento is good too on Sunday's with the singing and piano playing.

Bottom line is we've lost all the good places.

blue73harley 6 years, 7 months ago

A cheeseburger and fries at Runza.

Crossfire 6 years, 7 months ago

A pint at Freestate. ...a well balanced diet in a glass.