Previous   Next

Do you think the city should spend money on refurbishing brick roads?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 12, 2007

Browse the archives

“I think if our fiscal health allows it, we should seriously consider it. I think maintaining the historic character of the city adds to the quality of life.”

“I think that if they have the opportunity to preserve them, then they should. Lawrence has a really different atmosphere than other towns, and I think it’s important to preserve that.”

“Yes, because it keeps the flavor of the old community.”

“I appreciate their historical value, and I think they should try to retain some of the main brick roads; but I’m sure there are better places to spend the money.”

Related story

Comments

jonas 7 years, 3 months ago

Isn't the historical quality of brick roads simply enhanced by the "brick moguls" that drivers have to slalom around? Why fix perfected imperfection?

jonas 7 years, 3 months ago

Like we'd vote for a guy with two first names. Bah! Soon as he got elected, he'd be all up like "Wait, now. . . . I'm going to have to aks you to call me, Paul Ron!," and we'd be like "Noooeeeezzzz!!1!" and he'd all go mwahahaha, and then the terrorists would win.

Sigmund 7 years, 3 months ago

Ron Paul thinks the Bricks Streets were illegally paved with asphalt and just as soon as this unconstitutional paving is removed the Bricks will just take care of themselves.

Kevin Sontag 7 years, 3 months ago

I HATE driving on brick streets. So bumpy and rough. Just asphalt the damned things so everyone can have a smooth ride. I appreciate the fact that people want to conserve the historical-ness of old Lawrence, but its 2007, folks. There's a reason they don't make brick streets anymore.

imastinker 7 years, 3 months ago

brick streets can be very nice, and low maintenance if they are takin care of. Holton, KS has a lot of brick streets, and they have a person on staff in the summer to do repairs. They keep up on it and it's nice to look and nice to drive on. It also doesn't cost them a lot of money, since all they do is preventative maintenance and repairs.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 3 months ago

Vote Pope John Paul for president! Oh, wait...

acg 7 years, 3 months ago

I agree with banker dude up top. If fiscal health allows for refurbishing the streets, then go for it. But it seems to me as if Lawrence has more important things to spend its money on right now than costly brick street repairs. They are nice, they are old fashioned and pretty to look at (not much fun to drive on but oh well) but they cost a lot and right now we gotta watch every penny.

ohjayhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

The town I live in has quite a lot of original brick streets remaining, and they are definitely much longer-lasting and easier to keep up than types of streets. They are also talking about restoring a street here. I say if they have the money to do so, do it. It will more than likely save on other costs in the long run.

T_O_B - All I can say is "wow". I don't even think I can pick a favorite point. However, if the government owes him "Zillions of dollars" and the fact that he was a "West Point Academy ROAD Scholar" may seal the deal for him in my mind. LOL

sgtwolverine 7 years, 3 months ago

I'm pretty sure Ron Paul would be against brick roads; I think he's against pretty much everything.

Thanks for that link, TOB; I don't know if Mercer would be for or against brick roads because I can't decipher what he's saying. Is he actually a serious candidate? You'd think he would have had someone read his website and say um, so this makes no sense.

Anyway, I have a question. How many brick roads does Lawrence currently maintain? And how many of them are in (official or practical) historical districts?

Bone777 7 years, 3 months ago

Nice point, Veritas. Stamped concrete looks almost just like brick and is cheaper and easier, but I do like the history associated with old Lawrence and would support any attempts to keep that historic feel.

Crossfire 7 years, 3 months ago

Brick streets, tire chains and big horse power. The red mist at sunset is beautiful.

Can we elect the KU Volleyball Team for President?

ralphralph 7 years, 3 months ago

Maybe the City could get Grand Chief Thunderbird IV and his Kaweah Indian Nation members to maintain the brick roads.

ohjayhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

I went looking for more information about Lee Mercer and came upon this website. It's amazing how many people are actually announced candidates for the presidential race. There are more "interesting" candidates on here as well, such as Saint Michael Jesus Archangel and Albert "Big Al" Hamburg. It is some fun (as well as a bit disturbing) reading.

denak 7 years, 3 months ago

I like the brick streets. I agree with those who favor them because they add a historical flavor to our town.

Not everything new is modern or good. Developers are paving over Civil War battlefields in order to put in parking lots and boxed stores and we lose as a country when we allow that.

Granted, the brick streets aren't on that same level but it is the same thought. Just because it is old and perhaps not as smooth to drive on doesn't mean that it doesn't have some intrinsic value to the city.

Dena

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years, 3 months ago

I would prefer the more historical dirt road and conversion of existing abodes lining to them thar exceptionally historic sod homes!~)

ohjayhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

T_O_B - He does have a lot of answers, and I really do like his just off the fishing boat attire, but Saint Michael Jesus Archangel apparently has an in with the United Domains of Heaven Cosmic Reserve Bank... That sounds like it would have a lot of cha-ching. I would imagine if he could tap into some of that, he could probably repeal all taxes.

mick 7 years, 3 months ago

Can we refurbish it like it was furbished in the first place?

ohjayhawk 7 years, 3 months ago

T_O_B - I think you're on to something there! That would be one wild ticket. I don't know if America would be quite ready for that.