Previous   Next

Do you think tuition costs should differ among schools at Kansas University?

Asked at Jayhawk Boulevard on September 10, 2007

Browse the archives

“It doesn’t really bother me too much. You know what you’re doing when you go for your major.”

“It’s probably good because people who are taking classes that don’t cost as much, then they don’t have to pay more.”

“I believe some schools may need to have different costs because their resources may not be the same as other schools.”

Related story

Comments

ohjayhawk 7 years, 11 months ago

I think Carra is studying in the School of Berra to be able to come up with an answer like that. Yogi would be so proud!

trinity 7 years, 11 months ago

lol thanks ohjayhawk ya beat me to the punch, here! ;) i had to read that answer from carra several times-and i still felt very confused.

haha, blue-nertz to ya! :-p
hey, had a fantabulous time touring the harley plant saturday, wowzer! totally cool! i wanna work there! :)

jonas 7 years, 11 months ago

Did stricter policies lead to the fourth respondent getting dismissed?

blue: haha! Funny joke! Had all the proper elements of humor, unexpectedness, ridiculous premise, good delivery. Well played!

It would be fine to have tuition rates reflect costs, and as such there may be some disparity.

mom_of_three 7 years, 11 months ago

Well, I will answer the question. Yes, it is fair that different schools at KU have different tuitions. Some schools need different resources to teach the students and for the students to have success after graduation.
Of course, the Pharmacy school will have different needs than education or liberal arts.

canyon_wren 7 years, 11 months ago

I don't think it is fair. If some schools need greater resources, that should be taken into consideration by the Board of Regents or Legislature, whoever decides how much the university gets, and then by the administration of the university who probably does the appropriating of funds--which surely must have been how it was done in the past. Obviously, I am not well informed about the process. But the only discrepancy I think might be justified is a slight increase at the master's level, and I am not sure about that.

It seems kind of weird to base the cost of coursework on how much the person might earn with his/her degree. That REALLY confirms the reputation which universities have earned--that of being "degree mills" rather than places of learning. I guess I am pretty naive!

trinity 7 years, 11 months ago

it's wall to wall heaven in there. :) seems quite full with all three models in production there. one guy said that to get a really good look&feel, to come up say on the first day of open house; the plant is running, and the tours are self guided so if something catches your eye you can stand&watch without a tour guide making you shuffle on down the way before you're ready, lol. awesome. just awesome.

and apologies to all for threading this thread thru a different needle, lol; as to today's ots question-yeah i think it's fair that tuition differs! different schools different needs etc. no problem here.

H_Lecter 7 years, 11 months ago

I think that as long as the people who have maps, I mean, some can't read the maps, they don't know where they are, need more maps because gepgography is important, because it is important to know where you are and maps are expensive

sgtwolverine 7 years, 11 months ago

Wait, wouldn't that be some sort of real-world principle sneaking into higher education? We can't have that.

janeyb 7 years, 11 months ago

Within the last two years KU talked about a differential tuition for the School of Liberal Arts, so there goes the concept that certain degrees require more resources and more tuition. That would have helped the community colleges; you can get a good American hx, college algebra or sociology class at one of those for much less money. Washburn is a better buy than KU now. Cheaper tuition, differential tuition for only more techinal majors, and practially no campus fees.

snazzo 7 years, 11 months ago

I think a rise is merited, b/c of the level of education you get at KU. There's a lot of requirements at KU that you don't need at other state schools, b/c they push to make sure you know your stuff before giving you a graduate seal of approval. At the last graduation, there was even talk of making study abroad a manditory aspect of the KU experience in the future.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 10 months ago

TOB, I know the suicidal rate certainly has skyrocketed. But the apathy rate is climbing, too. I'm not at all happy with the first two weeks of this Michigan football season, but I'm also trying not to go overboard about it. The mindset I'm keeping is that Michigan football is much, much bigger than this group of coaches and players and this one season, and I am a Michigan football fan, not a 2007 Michigan football led by Lloyd Carr fan. I will continue to wear my Michigan gear, and I will continue to go to games (though not all of the home games this year, due largely to my more uncertain financial situation), and while I will be thoroughly dissatisfied with this year's on-field product (so far), I will not wallow in despair like so many of my fellow fans.

penguin 7 years, 10 months ago

See I might be able to buy a differential tuition for Engineering, Business, and Law. However, Fine Arts and Education both have differential tuition too. Where does that..."they make more money" argument come in here. I can understand the need for supplies in Fine Arts, which could easily be covered with a by the class fee. Although, I just do not see how the School of Ed would want to charge more. Every day, there is more news of the teacher shortage in Kansas. I would think that you might want to make it more affordable for those interested in teaching.

KU_cynic 7 years, 10 months ago

Once I was at a cocktail party with a militant young education professor who posed the following argument to me:

"The School of Engineering pays out more money to the faculty and staff than it takes in from tuition and fees, but at the School of Education we take in more tuition than we pay the faculty. So, obviously we in education are underpaid."

"Have you considered," I countered, "That perhaps the School of Education is over-charging its students?"

Dover 7 years, 10 months ago

This policy is ill-conceived. It will lead to the wealthiest students (or students from the wealthiest families) going into the most lucrative professions, and vice-versa. I think it will result in yet another inequity that's built in to our public education system. We need to attract all types of people, regardless of upbringing and socio-economic background, to fields like medicine, law, pharmacy, arts, education, etc.