Previous   Next

What advice did your grandparents give you?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 9, 2007

Browse the archives

“Never stop dreaming.”

“Everybody that you meet is for a reason.”

“To not cheat at cards.”

“Get some soap and scrub hard.”

Related story

Comments

number3of5 7 years, 3 months ago

My grandparents never gave me any advice. I would not have listened anyway. As for my grandchildren now, I would advise them to slow down. You do not have to leave home at 18 and try to be adult. You don't have to get a car at 15 and work instead of being a child. You don't need to follow your troubled peers in their lifestyles. Be yourself. But most of all make decisions that allow you to respect yourself and have the respect of those who love you the most.

PrincessConsuelaBananaHammock 7 years, 3 months ago

My Grandmother was a single mom in a time where that was not the "norm" that it has become today. Her husband left her to raise 4 kids on her own with no financial support or visits from him at all.
When I found myself alone with my daughter, she showed me that I was stronger than I thought I was and that I could do more than I gave myself credit for.
My Great-Grandmother taught me what an abandoned tire is for when you're out fishing at a pond and nature calls!

packrat 7 years, 3 months ago

My Grandfather said "Pass for white if you can get by with it". It still makes me sad.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 3 months ago

My last grandparent died when I was 4. I don't remember any advice. She probably did tell me to "be good." That is something that I tell my kids and my mother told me. It probably came down the line. She had 12 kids. She was probably too tired by the time my mom (#9) came around to dish out too much advice.

mom_of_three 7 years, 3 months ago

At my age, I am lucky to have two of my grandmothers still around, including the one I am named after. I don't know if she ever gave me any advice, but from watching her and my grandfather, I learned family, past and present, is important. Also, do what you got to do.

paladin 7 years, 3 months ago

Keep yer eyes wide open, yer big mouth shut, yer zipper zipped up, an yer money in the bank.

Eileen Jones 7 years, 3 months ago

"Never, ever, vote for a republican." -ywn

MIne said: "Don't trust a liar twice."

I guess that's identical advice, no?

Crossfire 7 years, 3 months ago

...................."If you have to fight throw the first punch." ...............................................and....................................... "Give the biggest piece of watermelon to the smallest grand baby."

sgtwolverine 7 years, 3 months ago

Never pet a burning dog.

Oh, wait. That was Microsoft Word. Sorry.

cms 7 years, 3 months ago

Everything happens is for a reason; and it may take many many years to figure out the reason.

TheEleventhStephanie 7 years, 3 months ago

A dog is a pain in the ass, but they are enjoyable and it's your problem anyway.

redmorgan 7 years, 3 months ago

A good whiskey toddy will cure ANYTHING...

person184 7 years, 3 months ago

My grandmother gave me advice about boys....treat 'em rough and tell 'em nuthin'.

lubyloo 7 years, 3 months ago

(1) "Put everything back in its place" (2) "Even if you feel like sh*t, you can still act like pie"

Godot 7 years, 3 months ago

Take a bath every night. Change your underwear every day. You might be poor, but you can still be clean. If you go to town, dress in your best clothes. Throw the fire crackers away from you, not straight down. Sit on the ice cream bucket when you are grinding the handle. When you get up on the stilts, start walking; if you stand still, you will fall. Rinse the dishes with boiled water. The blue paint mixes with the yellow to make green. Keep the white in the upper left hand corner of the palette. Cut it in with a clean brush. Make short, quick strokes with the charcoal and smudge with your finger for a soft edge. Give gloves to the boys who clear the sidewalks. Support your local merchants. Do business with friends. The Mennonites are strange, but they are good people, so accept them. Stay on the porch on Saturday night. Be kind to everyone. Your good reputation is the most important possession you possess.

Go to church.

Godot 7 years, 3 months ago

Oh, yeah, and keep the whiskey in the barn so grandma won't find it.

H_Lecter 7 years, 3 months ago

Be very quiet or the monsters will hear you

coolmom 7 years, 3 months ago

never kick a man when he's down because he just might get up...and whisky is good for a sore throat..granpa and from grandma ...always put a tiny pinch of sugar in the eggs you make for your family because they dont know its there but it is our way of saying i love you. i was never sure if that miniscule amount of sugar did something else but when i make scrambled eggs for my family i always do it and think of granny and my family.

acg 7 years, 3 months ago

My grandma on my mom's side taught me how to make the perfect southern biscuit. My grandpa on that side taught me to always drink a big glass of milk before boozing and to never draw to an inside straight. My dad's mom taught me how to milk a cow and how to properly pick cotton. My dad's dad taught us how to deal from the bottom of the deck and he taught my brother (who's handed down the recipe) the recipe for the perfect apple cider moonshine.

ranger73 7 years, 3 months ago

Sh** or get off the pot; and if you are going to do something, do it right the first time or don't do it at all.

Godot 7 years, 3 months ago

Volunteer to sell faux red poppies for the American Legion on Veteran's Day; purchase all the poppies you do not sell. Join clubs that promote civic pride. Buy lots of raffle tickets sold by the high school booster club to fund the purchase of band uniforms. Call on your neighbors every week; help them when they are down and out; mow their yards and clear their sidewalks when they cannot; take them meals when they cannot cook; take them to church when they cannot drive. Give packages of home made cookies and candies to your friends for Christmas. Discreetly give gifts of food and clothing to the kids who are in need. Shun the parents who neglect their kids in favor of drinking and gambling. Remember family, keep them close. Attend the funerals of everyone you know/knew. Do not get rowdy at weddings. Do not bad-mouth the person who gives you a paycheck. Speak out against bad government. Tithe.

Emily Hadley 7 years, 3 months ago

'Drink some ginger ale and lay down on the chair by the record player for a little bit; you'll feel better.'

Still works to this day, even when I don't have a tummy ache!

softball_sister 7 years, 3 months ago

Here is the quote """ You either take stepping stones or you take stubbing blocks"""

STEPPING STONES: To never give up and that your taking and that your ready to take the challange.

STUBBING BLOCKS: That yuo are going to give up right away without seeing it or even tring to take the challenge you are not even going to try and do it..

They told me that because it was the quote that my grandma gav eme before she died.But my other grandma still tells me that to give me the challange!!!!!