Previous   Next

What suggestion do you have to improve campus and school safety?

Asked at Royal Crest Lanes, 933 Iowa on September 7, 2007

Browse the archives

“Giving students better access to what’s actually going on on campus.”

“Close down half the cars around the KU campus (to reduce traffic). … I think a lot of problems are alcohol-induced.”

“Metal detectors in schools may be extreme, but may be a good way to prevent crimes at schools.”

“Any type of safety prevention wouldn’t prevent a random killing.”

Comments

softball_sister 6 years, 7 months ago

Even though you have gates to let people like teachers and vistorsto get through but students half of the time go through the gates and are not sopose too.

For example if a ball goes over the fence tell the teacher right away so you have permission to go get it or let the teacher go and get it so you will not get in trouble if yuo do not have permission to go and get it.You could get back to the game only if you tell a teacher ASAP so you can get to it quicker.Make sure you sute the gate if you have permission to go out of it so nothing can get in!!!

It is the best way to learn with the fences.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 6 years, 7 months ago

School is still a relatively safe place. More people are killed in domestic violence than in school. More people are killed by drunk drivers than in school. I don't want to trivialize the pain brought on by murders that have happened, but schools are safer than most places.

Ceallach 6 years, 7 months ago

erod, topics often get "otsposterized" around here, especially on FriDAY! FRIday! FriiiiiDayyyy!

All y'all have a good weekend!!! Just don't get so much rest that you return on Monday and begin posting with a clear head. That would be so dull, and so un-ots-ish..

erod0723 6 years, 7 months ago

Das, You are right on about the 9//1 thread being a laugh. It's turned into a joke. I guess fridays bring out the crazies... Also, I will not stand for this evil computer talk dominating the thread. How about all the good computeroids out there? Like Johnny 5, and..... Johnny 5?

Monty Amick 6 years, 7 months ago

Just something to think about. Thought I would stir the pot a bit. http://www.americanhandgunner.com/CIS0907.html

Das_Ubermime 6 years, 7 months ago

Anyone who wants a laugh should head over to the Keep 9/11 alive thread. This guy over there claims to have more money than anyone else on the boards, is a mechanical engineer (which he is not) and makes a special point to say that he will be vacationing in Colorado next week.

erod,

How could this thread not concentrate on evil computers?

erod0723 6 years, 7 months ago

I was under the impression that KU was a safe campus. There's really no way to stop a lone crazy from attacking people unless you install guards at every entrance to every building on campus, which would be radically invasive and costly. BTW, how did this become a thread on evil computers?

Norma Jeane Baker 6 years, 7 months ago

Ah, yes. Now I remember, R_I. It's been quite a while since I've seen the movie.

I need some 'Clarity' ~~ the new and improved clarity.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 7 months ago

Roberto, Remember, Proteus IV was part "organic".
(I don't think we are talking about tofu either) It took over control of its inventors "smart" robotic house. I didn't write the story, I just saw the movie.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 7 months ago

"Proteus IV would implant its demon seed in our women, in an effort to escape its box." RI

Wouldn't Proteus IV have to be out of its box for the demon seed to accomplish its job?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 7 months ago

Ohjayhawk, sgt, I agree WOPR would be the best choice: If you lose connection it will call you back. HAL9000 is definitely out. (which order to obey: which order to obey:) Proteus IV would implant its demon seed in our women, in an effort to escape its box. Lucille would be like a faulty GPS and we would get lost on the way to mars. Colossus, would take over the world and just have too much ego.

"In time, you will come to regard me not only with respect and awe, but with love." Colossus: The Forbin Project

Informed, WOPR was just nuts and volts... It is Joshua who likes to play games. Chess was his first love. But he can be an impetuous ADD child, messing with all sorts of things. If you make him play tic-tac-toe by himself, he will get bored and frustrated by never winning, and run off to make castles in the sandbox.

We should have learned from Joshua... Made W. play tic-tac-toe by himself.
Maybe he would not have pooped in the sandbox.

Kontum1972 6 years, 7 months ago

dont allow them to have a trial....good example...that Miller clown who feels his rights have been violated....gee whiz....what about the rights of the dead Mrs. Miller the guy was found guilty by his peers...throw him in a cell and let him rot there....quit wasting taxpayers money on trials for this scumbag...its over dude!

mick 6 years, 7 months ago

Mandatory indoctrination sessions and weekly interviews with the Thought Police.

Norma Jeane Baker 6 years, 7 months ago

I thought WOPR liked to play chess?

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 7 months ago

"herbalife4life1 (Anonymous) says:

Pipe in String Cheese Incident baby!!!"

You want to arm them with hoolahoops?

squishypoet 6 years, 7 months ago

Well of COURSE, John Robinson, "safety prevention" isn't going to stop a random killing. If anything, preventing safety would make random killings easier. Now, "violence prevention" might help. Thanks for stating the obvious, John--preventing safety won't prevent violence.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 7 months ago

sgt beat me to it... WOPR seemed to have learned its lesson... but I'd still play tic-tac-toe... just to be safe

Pywacket 6 years, 7 months ago

Mosquito netting. Cut down on all the dengue fever around here.

ms_canada 6 years, 7 months ago

Mandatory psych evaluation before admittance to each semester might help. Together with condoms and naps safety would be assured, I think. Hmmmmmmmm. What are you planning for Fridaaaaaaaaaaaay, guys?

sgtwolverine 6 years, 7 months ago

R_I, WOPR is fine as long as you remember to have it play tic tac toe.

Ceallach 6 years, 7 months ago

Oh, so that's the problem!! Thanks, prospector. Guess that shows me to be more than a little out of that particular loop :)

prospector 6 years, 7 months ago

Ceal, stop buying the flavored ones.

Ceallach 6 years, 7 months ago

That doesn't work, sue. I had to stop putting them out, freshmen tend to think we're offering bubble gum :}

Bone777 6 years, 7 months ago

Set up security stops outside the school grounds like the airports.
Don't allow anyone to carry any liquids over 3 ounces and make every one take off their shoes and walk through a metal detector while kids from the special needs room conduct more thorough searchs on random individuals.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 7 months ago

Das, just didn't want anyone to think I was implying "used." :$

Das_Ubermime 6 years, 7 months ago

sue,

Do they sell condoms that are not individually wrapped? I have not ever needed more than one at a time... Man, as if there were not enough to feel inadequate about, now I have to worry about only having one...

sunflower_sue 6 years, 7 months ago

Individually wrapped condoms in all of the candy bowls.

prospector 6 years, 7 months ago

Free State Beer, because..., well you know the quote.

coolmom 6 years, 7 months ago

paint the walls a soothing color like pink and give zanex to everyone on the campus...better yet medicate everyone!

Richard Heckler 6 years, 7 months ago

This question is a bit unclear...

*No more cars on campus. Promote walking/cycling for better health and bus transportation.

*Too many maniac drivers with cell phones in their ears on the streets.

• No drivers license until age 21

• Make Olin use his motorcycles in the neighborhoods to combat speeders and traffic tailgating daily.

blue73harley 6 years, 7 months ago

Make driver's ed a requirement for school bus drivers...

That nap deal sounds pretty good on this FRIDay, friDAY, FRiday!

trinity 6 years, 7 months ago

make everybody on campus bring a nap rug&take naps at a designated time of day.

friday friday friDAYYYYYYYYY! :)

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 7 months ago

ohjayhawk,

HAL9000 and SAL9000 are out, but WOPR, Colossus, Proteus IV, and Lucille are okay?

logicsound04 6 years, 7 months ago

Pump morphine into the classrooms.

herbalife4life1 6 years, 7 months ago

Pipe in String Cheese Incident baby!!!

trinity 6 years, 7 months ago

pipe soothing music over campus&in all buildings constantly.

friday friday friDAY! :)

herbalife4life1 6 years, 7 months ago

Carry a folding utility knife, it can't do any real puncture damage but it will cut somebody wide open b/c of the removable razorblade....stops an attacker in his/her tracks, and I know my girlfriend carries one b/c I gave it to her. Now my mind gets more rest at night because of it.

Das_Ubermime 6 years, 7 months ago

Greater focus on mental health issues.

ohjayhawk 6 years, 7 months ago

R_I - Although, a student should be wary if they are doing their distance learning on a computer that has a tendency to call itself HAL...

blue73harley 6 years, 7 months ago

Require everyone to wear body armor and carry mace...mullet, ala Dog the Bounty Hunter optional.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 7 months ago

Distance learning and home schooling. Virtual safety in a virtual world.

If real is what you can feel, smell, taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain - Morpheus "The Matrix"

Nothing can hurt us in here. - Jobe Oh, my God! What are you doing?... Oh God! - Marnie Marnie, I couldn't stop. - Jobe "The Lawnmower Man"