Previous   Next

What do you think the City Commission should do, if anything, about problem bars?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 6, 2007

Browse the archives

“Make bars close earlier or have mandatory metal detectors.”

“I think they should close them early or have more police watching them.”

“Pull their license or put them on probation for some amount of time.”

“I think it’s not up to the city; it’s up to the bar owner to control the people in their bar. They should have a three-strikes-and-you’re-out policy.”

Related story

Comments

Flap Doodle 7 years, 3 months ago

It seems like today is "extreme close-up" day.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 3 months ago

I think Lawrence should become a gated community. Obviously, all of the "problem" bar-goes are from out of town so we should ban out-of-towners. Of course, it will be hard to get a decent football team...oh, wait, we don't have that anyway...

jonas 7 years, 3 months ago

Leave 'em open so the idiots causing trouble don't gravitate somewhere else. Keep them concentrated in one spot, so they're easier to survey and control.

redneckwoman 7 years, 3 months ago

Closeing down a bar won't really fix the problem. The patron's will just find somewhere else to go. I remember a bar along 23rd that has had many owner/names and still had "problems". Come to think of it I don't recall hearing anything about that one since Last Call opened up. Hummm?

OldEnuf2BYurDad 7 years, 3 months ago

Loosen the conceal carry laws. Darwinism would kick in and all the nuckleheads would kill each other in a couple of weeks. After that, every Tuesday could be "Amish Night" at Last Call.

SloMo 7 years, 3 months ago

Get the GWL (Great Wall of Lawrence) built!

Eileen Jones 7 years, 3 months ago

Fine the bar owner. He/she is responsible for being a good citizen and running a safe place. He has no right to create or allow an unsafe environment that endangers citizens. And if fining doesn't work, toss him in the clinker. If that doesn't work, shut 'er down.

milkweed 7 years, 3 months ago

Try first having the bar close at midnight. If that doesn't close it down! milkweed

toefungus 7 years, 3 months ago

If a bar gets out of control, have a squad of liberals circle the bar in Priuses with magnetic images of Hillary Clinton attached to the doors. Patrons would be given DVD's of Al Gore's Inconvenient Truth and copies of Hillary's "It Takes A Village: along with a complementary hug. Patrons will likely clean up their act to avoid such raids in the future.

acg 7 years, 3 months ago

pywacket, you're right. She has old eyes, too.

I have no idea what they should do about the bars. I'm too tired to think about things today.

I did just have a nutjob come into my office and start frothing at the mouth about what he called "the area code wars of 1999". I had no idea what to say to him because he was scaring me a bit and I wasn't sure what side he was on and I didn't want to anger him any more than he already was. You gotta love the ghetto, right?

sunflower_sue 7 years, 3 months ago

Is it just me, or does it appear as though they stuck Gary's head on someone else's body?

sunflower_sue 7 years, 3 months ago

prospector, It's really funny to read your reply (11:32) and then scroll up to take another peek at Gary. Has me giggling! (Everyone try it. It will cheer you right up!)

Linda Aikins 7 years, 3 months ago

Is this National Bad Hair Day or something? It was cut off everyone's pictures.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 3 months ago

Pywacket, Nancy's Aunt Fritzi was originally the star of the strip. It had been running for for 11 years before Nancy moved in. http://www.toonopedia.com/nancy.htm

freestatetrumpet 7 years, 3 months ago

close them down they are costing the city money that it dose not have. the other thing that they could do is make they bar pay a certin amount of money each time the police are called to their bar.

erod0723 7 years, 3 months ago

snap_pop_no_crackle (Anonymous) says:

Give everybody a muffin.

If you give a gangbanger a muffin, he will want some milk to drink.