Previous   Next

What do you think the City Commission should do, if anything, about problem bars?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on September 6, 2007

Browse the archives

“Make bars close earlier or have mandatory metal detectors.”

“I think they should close them early or have more police watching them.”

“Pull their license or put them on probation for some amount of time.”

“I think it’s not up to the city; it’s up to the bar owner to control the people in their bar. They should have a three-strikes-and-you’re-out policy.”

Related story

Comments

erod0723 6 years, 7 months ago

snap_pop_no_crackle (Anonymous) says:

Give everybody a muffin.

If you give a gangbanger a muffin, he will want some milk to drink.

freestatetrumpet 6 years, 7 months ago

close them down they are costing the city money that it dose not have. the other thing that they could do is make they bar pay a certin amount of money each time the police are called to their bar.

Pywacket 6 years, 7 months ago

Snap~ Hey, thanks--cool link. They have the scoop on one of my other childhood faves, too: http://www.toonopedia.com/jiggs.htm

Although I began reading the funnies in the early 60s, our paper must've carried the 30s--40s-era reruns of these old classics (along with Lil Abner and a few others). I remember the art styles and cultural references as being from an earlier time. I didn't realize that anyone had continued writing Nancy (badly, it appears) clear into the 70s. I remember Ernie Bushmiller's name on them--and never heard of the "Mr. McOnion" character who was added in the 60s by a new writer.

The Lawrence Public Library has a book (art section?) of the collected Bringing Up Father, which I have checked out once or twice. The humor was much sharper (and so were the objects hurled by the perennially feuding husband and wife!!) than Nancy's humor ever was, and reading them as an adult was even more fun than reading them as a kid. The lewd and leering Jiggs, who's constantly seeking to escape the gimlet eye and accurately flung rolling pin of the homely Maggie, is a refreshing tonic in these PC times. He was SOOOO bad. ;-)

Those strips would be worth looking at for the art, even if you didn't like the humor, though, with gorgeously detailed deco and nouveau influences. They just don't draw them like that anymore.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 7 months ago

Pywacket, Nancy's Aunt Fritzi was originally the star of the strip. It had been running for for 11 years before Nancy moved in. http://www.toonopedia.com/nancy.htm

Pywacket 6 years, 7 months ago

Dang, R_I... those are some great guesses. But do I have to whack you over the head with my trusty Cultural Reference Pointer? Which of those dear ladies is associated with the phrase, "Just say no"? Come on.... I know you can do it...

And, Snap--I loved Nancy & Sluggo when I was a kid. Why did she have pincushion hair? Why was he so shabby? Why did she live with her racy-looking aunt? (Did the artist just like to draw sexy legs & tight sweaters and her auntly status legitimatized doing so?) I think if THAT Nancy were around, she and Sluggo would rig up some sort of tripwire, causing the gunwielding drunks to stumble and shoot their own heads off. Then the inventive kids would laugh and laugh..

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 7 months ago

T_O_B, I thought the middle name would have been hint enough...

Here is another: Da plane. Da plane... 11:23 pm

Gootsie 6 years, 7 months ago

Is this National Bad Hair Day or something? It was cut off everyone's pictures.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 7 months ago

I assumed Carrie Nation as well.

R_I - re: message. Wow. I was familiar with Milhouse's quote. Where did you find the other one?

sunflower_sue 6 years, 7 months ago

prospector, It's really funny to read your reply (11:32) and then scroll up to take another peek at Gary. Has me giggling! (Everyone try it. It will cheer you right up!)

Gootsie 6 years, 7 months ago

Maybe she meant Carrie Nation???

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 7 months ago

Py, Which cadaverous old bat Nancy? Nancy Reagan? Nancy Pelosi? Nancy Sinatra? Nancy Grace? Nancy Lopez? Nancy Wilson? Nancy Kassebaum? (Opps) Nancy Baker? Nancy Kerrigan?

prospector 6 years, 7 months ago

Build a moat.

Sue, I believe he is demonstrating his craning techniques.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 7 months ago

Is it just me, or does it appear as though they stuck Gary's head on someone else's body?

acg 6 years, 7 months ago

pywacket, you're right. She has old eyes, too.

I have no idea what they should do about the bars. I'm too tired to think about things today.

I did just have a nutjob come into my office and start frothing at the mouth about what he called "the area code wars of 1999". I had no idea what to say to him because he was scaring me a bit and I wasn't sure what side he was on and I didn't want to anger him any more than he already was. You gotta love the ghetto, right?

Pywacket 6 years, 7 months ago

That last lady has a very soulful face.

toefungus 6 years, 7 months ago

If a bar gets out of control, have a squad of liberals circle the bar in Priuses with magnetic images of Hillary Clinton attached to the doors. Patrons would be given DVD's of Al Gore's Inconvenient Truth and copies of Hillary's "It Takes A Village: along with a complementary hug. Patrons will likely clean up their act to avoid such raids in the future.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 7 months ago

Snipers with tranquilizer darts.

milkweed 6 years, 7 months ago

Try first having the bar close at midnight. If that doesn't close it down! milkweed

Pywacket 6 years, 7 months ago

Engage that cadaverous old bat Nancy to come to town and stand outside the bars at night admonishing people to "just say no" to drunken gunplay. I can't imagine why they haven't tried that yet.

Stain 6 years, 7 months ago

Fine the bar owner. He/she is responsible for being a good citizen and running a safe place. He has no right to create or allow an unsafe environment that endangers citizens. And if fining doesn't work, toss him in the clinker. If that doesn't work, shut 'er down.

SloMo 6 years, 7 months ago

Get the GWL (Great Wall of Lawrence) built!

OldEnuf2BYurDad 6 years, 7 months ago

Loosen the conceal carry laws. Darwinism would kick in and all the nuckleheads would kill each other in a couple of weeks. After that, every Tuesday could be "Amish Night" at Last Call.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 7 months ago

Counseling might work. Or they could prescribe medication.

Damn. According to the picture on the front page of the kids raving, Last Call isn't so much different than Dallas in the late 80s. Nice to see there are still idiots frying their brain on ecstasy.

redneckwoman 6 years, 7 months ago

Closeing down a bar won't really fix the problem. The patron's will just find somewhere else to go. I remember a bar along 23rd that has had many owner/names and still had "problems". Come to think of it I don't recall hearing anything about that one since Last Call opened up. Hummm?

busymom 6 years, 7 months ago

Sarcasm in the morning. I love it!

sunflower_sue 6 years, 7 months ago

I think Lawrence should become a gated community. Obviously, all of the "problem" bar-goes are from out of town so we should ban out-of-towners. Of course, it will be hard to get a decent football team...oh, wait, we don't have that anyway...

Das_Ubermime 6 years, 7 months ago

Problem bars? It seems to me like the problem is with the parking lots where the violence is occurring. Obviously, this represents poor management on the part of the parking lot owners. I think the city should work with the state to reject the problem parking lots' state parking license.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 7 months ago

Or ban dancing... As long as we can keep that Bacon kid out of town.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 7 months ago

It seems like today is "extreme close-up" day.

blue73harley 6 years, 7 months ago

Well, if I were a commish I would spend time in the bars "investigating" lewd and obscene behavior.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 7 months ago

Show loving guidance and compassion?

jonas 6 years, 7 months ago

Leave 'em open so the idiots causing trouble don't gravitate somewhere else. Keep them concentrated in one spot, so they're easier to survey and control.