Previous   Next

What do you like most about Halloween?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 31, 2007

Browse the archives

“It’s the one night of the year I get to be a pirate.”

“All of the crazy parties, jack-o-lantern bashing and buffoonism.”

“The haunted houses. I’m in town from Montana, so I’m hoping there will be some scary ones around here.”

“Scary, ghoulish good times.”

Comments

Flap Doodle 7 years, 2 months ago

Buffoonism, it's not just for Halloween anymore.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 2 months ago

Being a witch it's the one day of the year that I am N O T in costume.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 2 months ago

Ooh, and be sure to honor your ancestors today all as we roll in year 10,0008

janeb 7 years, 2 months ago

The mermaids, the fairies and the wicked pirates too.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 2 months ago

Nick Danger outingbulkerbiz Marion Sydney Lynn is a prime example of what I said before.

trinity 7 years, 2 months ago

is he the one in the fez? ;)

i love h'ween! :)

jonas 7 years, 2 months ago

I'm gonna have fun going to class as Satan. Keep your eyes out, I'll be the one in the white suit.

acg 7 years, 2 months ago

Everything about Halloween rocks, to me. Esp. this year since I'm in Vegas. I danced on the bar at coyote ugly last night and tonight we're going to tear up old freemont street at a massive party. Ya'll wish me luck because I need to win back the $$ I spent on booze last night. :)

Linda Aikins 7 years, 2 months ago

That it's my son's birthday. Otherwise, pooey.

trinity 7 years, 2 months ago

gootsie! it also happens to be the bday of a really special young man in my family's life! how old's your son??

preebo 7 years, 2 months ago

It's truly the one night where I can be big kid. I get to dress up along with my kids and run around Lawrence. This year I am dressing up as Doctor Emmett Brown from Back to the Future fame. "One point twenty one jiggawatts."

Gareth Skarka 7 years, 2 months ago

Parties and buffoonism... I'm betting that Mr. O'Neill is a Frat Boy.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 2 months ago

I don't care much about Halloween; I just like this time of year in general. I love fall weather (and today is particularly beautiful up here), and winter -- which I also love -- is just around the corner.

PrincessConsuelaBananaHammock 7 years, 2 months ago

The little town where I live is the home of the oldest halloween parade in the nation - it's our little town's claim to fame!
I enjoy getting my daughter all dressed up and taking her trick or treating and of course I love the parades and all the festivities here in our town. We also have blocks of streets lined with maple trees and of course they are just beautiful this time of year!

ksdivakat 7 years, 2 months ago

Does anyone know if there is a specific time that the kiddos can trick or treat? Seems i remember there being one in the past but cant think of what it is??

Danielle Brunin 7 years, 2 months ago

ksdivakat,

I had the same question. Is the trick-or-treating going on downtown this evening? We went last year at 5:30 or 6:00, but I can't find any information about it. Does it go on every year? Does anybody know?

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 2 months ago

I had to call the LJW becuase I couldn't find it on the site. The gal said Downtown, "starts at 5:00 and runs till 7:00 or 8:00," but I think it only 2 hours and ends at 7:00

ksdivakat 7 years, 2 months ago

Thanks Blue73harley!! I couldnt find it anywhere and ive called everyone I know who has kids and they didnt know either! So I appreciate the info!

Linda Aikins 7 years, 2 months ago

Trinity, he's 28. Today was even his due date! How about yours?

TheHeartlessBureaucrat 7 years, 2 months ago

My costume this year, same clothes as last year....so I'm "Me from a year ago."

And thank you to Blue Harley for Mentioning Firesign Theater. They were wonderful!

Pass me the pliers...

THB

Danielle Brunin 7 years, 2 months ago

blueharley,

Thanks for the info! I was searching everywhere and couldn't find it. My husband and I are still new at taking our son trick-or-treating in Lawrence and sometimes its not very easy to find information about what's going on in town. So thank you again!

trinity 7 years, 2 months ago

it's a different one, lol; ours is four years younger! :) wow ya hit one on the due date, now that in itself is quite a fete!

Linda Aikins 7 years, 2 months ago

Yep! And he's been a great kid ever since. As yours is too, I bet!

I wish someone would dress up as OMB. Snap, you got anything that would work? Maybe a ghost costume cause he was disappeareded?

Danielle Brunin 7 years, 2 months ago

DonQuipunch,

Yeah, you would at least think it is in the Lawrence Datebook section. After copying and pasting "Downtown Lawrence Halloween Trick-or-Treat" and searching, they have a little tiny blurb on the left side of the "Haunted Haskell" article, but nowhere else that I can find. Just a tad bit annoying...

geniusmannumber1 7 years, 2 months ago

You know, it's the darndest thing, but I just typed

halloween downtown "trick or treat"

into that little white box with the word "Search" next to it, and what's the first thing that came up?

Shame, shame on THE LOCAL PAPER for thinking I understand how to use a computer! Why can't THE LOCAL PAPER know what I want to read about and put it right on the front page?!?

Gene Ramp 7 years, 2 months ago

What are Trick-or-Treat hours tonight?

budwhysir 7 years, 2 months ago

I like the end of it, when its over and we dont have to think about it for a year. Oh yeah I also like the comments in the paper about what people like about it

mom_of_three 7 years, 2 months ago

the best thing about Halloween is eating my kids' leftover candy. But this will be the last year...

Flap Doodle 7 years, 2 months ago

Gootsie, the ghost of OMB past rattles his chains every once in a while. I should think about manifesting him into a corporeal form for a trek to Kansas some day.

denak 7 years, 2 months ago

I like decorating my house. In fact, Halloween is the official start of the holiday blitz in my house. From now until Valentine's Day, not a surface goes undecorated. Its great.

But what I like specifically about Halloween is that it is the one time of the year that you can make fun of death and destruction and all the macabre things in our society. A time to mock death and the notion that death is a "bad thing."

When my kids were young, I loved doing Mass. Street. Now that they are older, we just go trick or treat around a few neighborhoods.

And even though I know I will miss trick or treating with my kids when they grow up, I look forward to the day that I can stay home and answer the door and have little kids yell "Trick or Treat."

Dena

bearded_gnome 7 years, 2 months ago

off topic, hope you all will excuse, for a good cause:

dear Reader or my fellow LJW poster, If you were wishing to express support for Jaeger's victim, or send something for her comfort and assistance, I now have a way for us to do that.

Send to:

Gadugi Faith Center/Rape victim Survivor service 2518 Ridge ct. Lawrence, KS 66046

Make your check out to the Gadugi Center, and either in the memo field of the check, or on the envelope, write "Jaeger case" and I am assured every cent will go to the victim's assistance.

I want to add that this is an appeal organized just by LJW posters, 'theeleventhstephanie' and me. Jaeger's victim represents many unreported victims of sexual violence who are also assisted by this very good organization. Gadugi Center is looking for additional support. This organization would also benefit from an unrestricted gift, too if you choose. Mrs. Gnome and I will be enclosing two checks in our envelope, one marked "Jaeger case" and the other unrestricted.

Jaeger's victim certainly deserves all the support we can muster after the things which she has suffered.
/gnome

pace 7 years, 1 month ago

I know this is picky, but Sean O'Neill, remark about pumpkin bashing that is just vandalism and theft. That little kids can't leave their jack o lanterns out on their own porch in this town is crappy. The boy should be there in the morning when the kids see their pumpkin smashed. Sean is just a selfish rotten thief.