Previous   Next

Do you prefer paperless transactions?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 30, 2007

Browse the archives

“Yes. I never carry cash. It’s just one less thing I have to deal with.”

“I’m beginning to, yes. It took me a little while to warm up to it, but now I’m Internet banking, paying bills online and everything.”

“No. I kind of like to have a paper trail of all my transactions. I love the idea of not signing everything, though.”

“Yeah. I like to just swipe the card and go.”

Comments

sigerson 6 years, 5 months ago

Love the debit card. If it had breasts and a pulse, I'd marry it. It helps me keep track of what I spend. Just log it into Quicken for a budget breakdown. As to privacy, I really don't give a rat's rear end if marketers know from debit card records that I spent $24.33 at Hy-Vee on August 29. I'm much more concerned about what the government (sorry, "gummit") knows in that file it has on me.

Marion Lynn 6 years, 5 months ago

The Rules Of Fight Club:

1 - The first rule of Fight Club is, you do not talk about Fight Club.

2 - The second rule of Fight Club is, you DO NOT talk about Fight Club.

3 - If someone says stop, goes limp, taps out, the fight is over.

4 - Two guys to a fight.

5 - One fight at a time.

6 - No shirts, no shoes.

7 - Fights will go on as long as they have to.

8 - If this is your first night at Fight Club, you have to fight.

The Rules Of Project Mayhem:

THE FIRST RULE of PROJECT MAYHEM is YOU DON'T ASK QUESTIONS. THE SECOND RULE of PROJECT MAYHEM is YOU DON'T ASK QUESTIONS. THE THIRD RULE of PROJECT MAYHEM is NO EXCUSES. THE FOURTH RULE of PROJECT MAYHEM is NO LIES. THE FIFTH RULE of PROJECT MAYHEM is YOU HAVE TO TRUST TYLER.

NO QUESTIONS, NO QUESTIONS, NO EXCUSES, NO LIES.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 5 months ago

jonas, Almost all of the world's currencies are fiat money systems... Nixon took care of any ties to something tangible in '71.

jonas 6 years, 5 months ago

International fiat money? Hmmmm. . . indeed.

Mike Edson 6 years, 5 months ago

There is a difference between debit and credit cards, however, both of them can incur charges. It is common to pay transaction fees at the atm when using your debit card if you use another bank's atm. A while back the p.o.s. (point of sale) charge was passed on to all customers paying with their debit card. You were basically paying the store's cost per transaction. That is why you often have to specify to the cashier if it is debit or credit. Walmart was notorious for the p.o.s. charge. It could range anywhere from 25 cents to 35 cents per transaction. You would not see it on the receipt but on your monthly bank statement when balancing your check book. It has since been discontinued because it was not considered a fair practice. Why charge a p.o.s. for a debit card if you are not going to charge it on a credit card. I always tell the cashier that it is credit. It is not an issue anymore, retailers now pay a flat rate per transaction whether it is credit or debit. They just raised their prices to the consumer instead.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 5 months ago

jonas, When and if the "New World Order" unifies the earth, using today's IMF value, you would get the equivalent of 63.7410 cents for every dollar you tried to exchange for a world currency unit.
Of course world currency units have no value in their own, only the perceived value of what they will purchase. Hmmmm...

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 5 months ago

I seem to have forgotten, do libs like electronic or paper voting? Or a combination of the two, so long as it insures a Dem win? I just want you stellar superstars to be happy, at any cost.

GretchenJP 6 years, 5 months ago

Jonathan_Jason_McDaniels (Anonymous) says:

Gretch:.hookers and check writing??!!

::::Ain't that what got Charlie Sheen in hot water?!

lol

Yep, ole Charlie got mad when I wrote him a check. :P

Jonathan_Jason_McDaniels 6 years, 5 months ago

Gretch....hookers and check writing??!!

............Ain't that what got Charlie Sheen in hot water?!

lol

sgtwolverine 6 years, 5 months ago

Two things have occurred to me:

1)The most paperless transaction is one involving only coins.

2)For my personal transactions, I do prefer cash (aside from paying at the gas pump). But for my business purchases, I use my debit card almost exclusively. It makes things easier for me.

inatux 6 years, 5 months ago

Definitely prefer cash. I used to spend a whole lot more before switching to cash. Now, I know where - and when - my money leaves me. Not so much with the debit card.

GretchenJP 6 years, 5 months ago

The hookers hate it when I write them a check.

jonas 6 years, 5 months ago

"Thats my 63.7410 cents:."

Hmm. . . . inflation. . . . Are you pegged to the dollar, or do you float?

Jonathan_Jason_McDaniels 6 years, 5 months ago

Yes, but I do not prefer "paperless toilets"!!!

sunflower_sue 6 years, 5 months ago

How is the plastic costing me more than using cash? I get a discount at the gas pump. I get a percentage of my purchases sent to the school of my choice. I get a discount card for so many dollars spent. I pay everything off at the end of the month so pay zero in interest. My bank does not charge me to use the card...

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 5 months ago

T_O_B, Since we have abandoned the practice of tying the dollar to gold or silver, isn't cash technically credit in the form of a promissory note? According to the U.S. Treasury says "The notes have no value for themselves, but for what they will buy."

Thats my 63.7410 cents....

davidnta 6 years, 5 months ago

I prefer cards due to the fact that it's much easier to carry, there's a trail that you leave behind, and if any misuse were to occur, then credit card companies are usually good about reversing charges.

I use Quicken at home to keep track of all that I spend so I can see at the end of the month, what I need to cut back and my overall spending habits. Very useful.

BABBOY 6 years, 5 months ago

I prefer cash.

Avoid credit cards.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 5 months ago

"Plastic doesn't necessitate interest charges. I don't suppose you've heard of a debit card, have you?" Jonas

That is what I was thinking. I thought I was reading a message board from 1985. Which, technically is impossible, but enough people on here assume all plastic is credit.

Norma Jeane Baker 6 years, 5 months ago

C'mon, guys. Everyone knows that rule #1 is "what happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas."

Flap Doodle 6 years, 5 months ago

Dried oak leaves make excellent currency.

jonas 6 years, 5 months ago

was_freashpowder 6 years, 5 months ago

you people who use your credit cards for everything are morons you are paying more money because you dont want to carry cash around with you. Don't you know the value of an ACTUAL DOLLAR is worth more than a piece of plastic... I work for Real paper money I carry Real paper money around with me and when I buy things I use REAL paper money.

places should stop accepting credit cards

beatrice 6 years, 5 months ago

I prefer transactionless paper.

blackwalnut 6 years, 5 months ago

"Yes I never carry cash..."

One of those clueless consumers who fail to realize that using the debit card and credit card costs the merchant money every time they use it. If you use a debit card for a $5 purchase the merchant probably lost money on your purchase. Plastic makes the banks richer, merchants poorer - and the cost is passed on to every one of us as merchants have to charge accordingly. Adds 3% to the cost of everything, so that banks can become richer.

Cash is underrated.

Azure_Attitude 6 years, 5 months ago

I thought rule #1 was not to talk about Fight Club . . .

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 5 months ago

Cash? Currency only has a perceived value. On that secluded island off the Georgia coast, it took only 10 days for a group of 8 to formulate a plan to dupe most of America.
Look closely at the $1 bill. It is called a Federal Reserve Note. It is a note. A paper (linen in this case) acknowledging a debt and promising payment. Notice that from any angle, Washington's eyes follow and look at you? Look at the 1 on the upper right face of the note. See the owl perched in the left semi-circle?
Hmmmm...

jonas 6 years, 5 months ago

"thetagger (Anonymous) says:

Rule number one is: we do not talk about Project Mayhem."

Sorry, man, but rule number one is that you don't ask any questions. A common misconception.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 5 months ago

I concur with TOB -- anyone who has worked in an office knows "paperless" is a myth.

Pywacket 6 years, 5 months ago

I find I can conduct most transactions by trading a delicious bass for whatever I want. For the really expensive things, I might throw in a box of craisins and a lemon wedge.

Kevin Sontag 6 years, 5 months ago

Rule number one is... we do not talk about Project Mayhem.

Azure_Attitude 6 years, 5 months ago

I like the electronic stuff, but I don't prefer it.

When Tyler Durden is successful in putting us all back to zero, Edson, he will be elevated to hero status

Have a nice bidet!!!

Bone777 6 years, 5 months ago

I like the 'choice' to paperlessly transact.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 5 months ago

It's been my experience that there is no such thing as a paperless transaction.

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 5 months ago

Nine out of ten cyberterrorists surveyed prefer paperless transactions.

Mike Edson 6 years, 5 months ago

When electronic banking crashes what else will we have? All computers crash at some point. I prefer using cash because it means that I am the only hand in my wallet. After operating a small business I can tell you that even though debit/ credit cards are handy, cash will always move a line faster. I have always been fascinated by those who would buy their $3.50 Mocha Latte with their credit card paying a 19% interest on top of the purchase price of the coffee.

jonas 6 years, 5 months ago

Holy crow, Liberty! Didn't know you were still around.

We usually do paperless transactions, but for reasons brought up by liberty above, we do all of the transactions for the giant death robot have been in cash, usually in suitcases. The credit card line items "hydraulic flow system," or "advanced solar converter" just seemed like it would be too dangerous. People might think we were growing pot.

H_Lecter 6 years, 5 months ago

I've never thought of a bidet as a total replacement for paper.

Liberty 6 years, 5 months ago

Cash and barter is the only way left now to be able to perform a confidential or private transaction. As soon as you "swipe a debit card" or write a check or use a credit card, everyone knows what you are buying and how much you paid. Nothing is private using a card, but digital money corporations like to make it easy and convenient so you will easily and voluntarily give up your freedom of privacy in transactions in exchange for the convenience and ease of just swiping a card.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 5 months ago

Depends on what service I am transacting...