Previous   Next

Do you prefer paperless transactions?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 30, 2007

Browse the archives

“Yes. I never carry cash. It’s just one less thing I have to deal with.”

“I’m beginning to, yes. It took me a little while to warm up to it, but now I’m Internet banking, paying bills online and everything.”

“No. I kind of like to have a paper trail of all my transactions. I love the idea of not signing everything, though.”

“Yeah. I like to just swipe the card and go.”

Comments

H_Lecter 7 years, 1 month ago

I've never thought of a bidet as a total replacement for paper.

Liberty 7 years, 1 month ago

Cash and barter is the only way left now to be able to perform a confidential or private transaction. As soon as you "swipe a debit card" or write a check or use a credit card, everyone knows what you are buying and how much you paid. Nothing is private using a card, but digital money corporations like to make it easy and convenient so you will easily and voluntarily give up your freedom of privacy in transactions in exchange for the convenience and ease of just swiping a card.

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

Holy crow, Liberty! Didn't know you were still around.

We usually do paperless transactions, but for reasons brought up by liberty above, we do all of the transactions for the giant death robot have been in cash, usually in suitcases. The credit card line items "hydraulic flow system," or "advanced solar converter" just seemed like it would be too dangerous. People might think we were growing pot.

Mike Edson 7 years, 1 month ago

When electronic banking crashes what else will we have? All computers crash at some point. I prefer using cash because it means that I am the only hand in my wallet. After operating a small business I can tell you that even though debit/ credit cards are handy, cash will always move a line faster. I have always been fascinated by those who would buy their $3.50 Mocha Latte with their credit card paying a 19% interest on top of the purchase price of the coffee.

Bone777 7 years, 1 month ago

I like the 'choice' to paperlessly transact.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 1 month ago

I like the electronic stuff, but I don't prefer it.

When Tyler Durden is successful in putting us all back to zero, Edson, he will be elevated to hero status

Have a nice bidet!!!

Kevin Sontag 7 years, 1 month ago

Rule number one is... we do not talk about Project Mayhem.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 1 month ago

I concur with TOB -- anyone who has worked in an office knows "paperless" is a myth.

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

"thetagger (Anonymous) says:

Rule number one is: we do not talk about Project Mayhem."

Sorry, man, but rule number one is that you don't ask any questions. A common misconception.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 1 month ago

I thought rule #1 was not to talk about Fight Club . . .

blackwalnut 7 years, 1 month ago

"Yes I never carry cash..."

One of those clueless consumers who fail to realize that using the debit card and credit card costs the merchant money every time they use it. If you use a debit card for a $5 purchase the merchant probably lost money on your purchase. Plastic makes the banks richer, merchants poorer - and the cost is passed on to every one of us as merchants have to charge accordingly. Adds 3% to the cost of everything, so that banks can become richer.

Cash is underrated.

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

Plastic doesn't necessitate interest charges. I don't suppose you've heard of a debit card, have you?

Flap Doodle 7 years, 1 month ago

Dried oak leaves make excellent currency.

davidnta 7 years, 1 month ago

I prefer cards due to the fact that it's much easier to carry, there's a trail that you leave behind, and if any misuse were to occur, then credit card companies are usually good about reversing charges.

I use Quicken at home to keep track of all that I spend so I can see at the end of the month, what I need to cut back and my overall spending habits. Very useful.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 1 month ago

How is the plastic costing me more than using cash? I get a discount at the gas pump. I get a percentage of my purchases sent to the school of my choice. I get a discount card for so many dollars spent. I pay everything off at the end of the month so pay zero in interest. My bank does not charge me to use the card...

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

"Thats my 63.7410 cents:."

Hmm. . . . inflation. . . . Are you pegged to the dollar, or do you float?

GretchenJP 7 years, 1 month ago

The hookers hate it when I write them a check.

inatux 7 years, 1 month ago

Definitely prefer cash. I used to spend a whole lot more before switching to cash. Now, I know where - and when - my money leaves me. Not so much with the debit card.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 1 month ago

Two things have occurred to me:

1)The most paperless transaction is one involving only coins.

2)For my personal transactions, I do prefer cash (aside from paying at the gas pump). But for my business purchases, I use my debit card almost exclusively. It makes things easier for me.

GretchenJP 7 years, 1 month ago

Jonathan_Jason_McDaniels (Anonymous) says:

Gretch:.hookers and check writing??!!

::::Ain't that what got Charlie Sheen in hot water?!

lol

Yep, ole Charlie got mad when I wrote him a check. :P

sigerson 7 years, 1 month ago

Love the debit card. If it had breasts and a pulse, I'd marry it. It helps me keep track of what I spend. Just log it into Quicken for a budget breakdown. As to privacy, I really don't give a rat's rear end if marketers know from debit card records that I spent $24.33 at Hy-Vee on August 29. I'm much more concerned about what the government (sorry, "gummit") knows in that file it has on me.

Mike Edson 7 years, 1 month ago

There is a difference between debit and credit cards, however, both of them can incur charges. It is common to pay transaction fees at the atm when using your debit card if you use another bank's atm. A while back the p.o.s. (point of sale) charge was passed on to all customers paying with their debit card. You were basically paying the store's cost per transaction. That is why you often have to specify to the cashier if it is debit or credit. Walmart was notorious for the p.o.s. charge. It could range anywhere from 25 cents to 35 cents per transaction. You would not see it on the receipt but on your monthly bank statement when balancing your check book. It has since been discontinued because it was not considered a fair practice. Why charge a p.o.s. for a debit card if you are not going to charge it on a credit card. I always tell the cashier that it is credit. It is not an issue anymore, retailers now pay a flat rate per transaction whether it is credit or debit. They just raised their prices to the consumer instead.

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

International fiat money? Hmmmm. . . indeed.