Previous   Next

How can the average person make a difference?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 29, 2007

Browse the archives

“I’d say it starts with finding the right cause that they feel strongly about and then going out and taking action.”

“They should love their neighbor as themselves.”

“By volunteering for a 501C3 not-for-profit agency or donating to the United Way on a regular basis.”

“It could be something as little as helping someone out, holding the door for someone or just being nice. Small acts of kindness can go a long way.”

Comments

preebo 7 years, 2 months ago

I believe the saying goes, "one random act of kindness at a time."

Flap Doodle 7 years, 2 months ago

Copy/pasting immense amounts of drivel on the internet.

Crossfire 7 years, 2 months ago

When you see someone doing something stupid it is a good idea to smack them in the side of the head and ask, "What the hell's wrong with you?"

btw, jim, "What the hell's wrong with you?"

jonas 7 years, 2 months ago

They can't. The best bet is to find someone who's above average, and have them group together a bunch of average people into a force of numbers. By being the architect, perhaps the initial average person can maintain some special status for awhile, but likely not for very long.

juscin3 7 years, 2 months ago

Anyone can make a difference. Just have to get the umph (sp?) to do it. Shouldn't take much though.
So blue, we don't have to do anything to get a free klondike today? :)~

stands in line behind cross to smack jim up side the head. There, I helped make a difference. :)

HAPPY MONDAY EVERYONE!!

sourpuss 7 years, 2 months ago

You can't. You're average. Just live your life and enjoy it.

labmonkey 7 years, 2 months ago

blue73harley.....What do you make people do for the Klondike bar?

canyon_wren 7 years, 2 months ago

I know I take these questions 'way too seriously, but this one has more answers than it is possible to put in a post. I agree with Jackie, above, as we can make a difference in our own personal world by how we treat those around us. There are many "do-gooders" who embrace global causes who are not the least bit concerned about their neighbors or other people in their own community. I do agree that, if we are so inclined, it is a good idea to pursue a common goal, but not all of us are motivated to spend our energies on national issues. Local efforts do pay off, however, and there is a ripple effect, to some degree.

I also agree with Agnostick that a smile goes a long way--sounds pretty trite, I know, but it does make a difference.

conservativepunker 7 years, 2 months ago

Vote against The Dragon Lady, Hillary Clinton.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 2 months ago

Having a couple of dead horses to drag into any conversation is good. Calling anyone who doesn't agree with you an idiot is the key to changing people's opinions.

guesswho 7 years, 2 months ago

Well, what if I don't love myself, that way I don't have to love my neighbor. Will that make a difference? Nobody said anything about a positive difference.

coolmarv 7 years, 2 months ago

Making a difference starts by not thinking of yourself.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 2 months ago

by putting their dishies into the dishwasher instead of on top of the dishwasher. (I know, I know! Opening that door is oh so hard!)

mom_of_three 7 years, 2 months ago

LOL, Sue. My husband (who has kitchen duty) would agree!!

mom_of_three 7 years, 2 months ago

But seriously, our family donates to several charities, and every little bit helps.
Even acts of random kindness makes a difference in someone's day.

sigerson 7 years, 2 months ago

Live a life. Lead by example. Change one life. You've made a difference. Repeat as necessary.

Canyon_Wren is right in that it's easier to have an effect locally than to take on the world. That sounds really daunting. Local makes it more bite-sized.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 2 months ago

By b*itching louder than everyone else!!!!

The old cliche works for me: Think Globally, Act Locally.

I give to good causes, volunteer to work at or at events that benefit charitable groups, boycott Wal-Mart and anything FOX/News Corp (this one is especially hard).

jumpin_catfish 7 years, 2 months ago

invent time travel or help the cubs win a world series

kneejerkreaction 7 years, 2 months ago

Try and be as much like George W. Bush as possible.

schula 7 years, 2 months ago

jumpin catfish: I am with you! I had such high hopes for the Cubs this year. I thought it would finally be "next year". I was rooting for the Rockies and the managed to dissapoint as well.

GretchenJP 7 years, 2 months ago

I agree with Brian Cordill... find the right cause that you feel strongly about and then go out and take action. Or, at least, attempt to open people's minds. If you can't make a difference, get people talking about the cause, at least open other's eyes to your cause and what you're passionate about.

This has been an Oprah Production.

coolmom 7 years, 2 months ago

i try to do my part and to teach my kids to do theirs but the # 1 thing? Get off your hiney and give a dang!

storm 7 years, 2 months ago

Saying please and thank you, allowing people older than you to go through the door, getting a grocery cart when you're the first one there and handing it over to the parent with a toddler and infant who are next, and other pleasantries...

blackwalnut 7 years, 2 months ago

By throwing the bums out.

One could start locally, with our very own corrupt city commission.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years, 2 months ago

After drying your hands in the restroom, use the same paper towel to dry the paper towel release mechanism and dispense the next towel. Use the same towel to open the door on the way out of the restroom. Do not throw the used paper towel on the ground. If you cannot find a handy receptacle, place it in pocket or purse. Barring that, eat it. Chewing recycled paper is good for removing tartar from the teeth and cleansing the bowels!~)