Previous   Next

What author would you most like to meet?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 28, 2007

Browse the archives

“Mark Twain, because he’s witty, well-traveled and hilarious.”

“Terry McMillan. She writes a lot about women my age, African-American romances and life experiences.”

“I would have liked to have met Kurt Vonnegut I think he had an incredible mind.”

“Bill Clinton. I think his charisma is appealing as a president and an author, because he is so personable. It really comes across in his writing.”

Comments

labmonkey 7 years, 10 months ago

Clive Cussler for fiction because he actually searches for the artifacts he has his characters find. For Non-fiction, I would like to meet Robert K. Massie, Edvard Radzinsky, and Edmund Morris (hurry up and get that third book about Teddy Roosevelt out Damnit!).

Sarah should have said that she wanted to meet Bill Clinton's ghost writers. At least she likes to read fiction.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 10 months ago

I'd say Diana Gabaldon, but I've already met her. Very interesting person! I'd like to meet Ken Follett. I love his writing and I'm sooooo excited that he finally made a sequel to "Pillars of the Earth!" Now I just have to wait for my sis to read the book and hand it over.

I'd also like to meet my neighborhood author for a margarita sometime soon. :)

jonas 7 years, 10 months ago

Out of all authors, Tolkein without a doubt. Living, I'm caught in a three way tie with Rowling, Stephen King, and Neil Gaemon.

Amy Heeter 7 years, 10 months ago

Agrred William Faulkner and F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years, 10 months ago

Tolkein, but absolutely, positively Tom Robbins. "Skinny Legs and All". He brings poetry to prose.

dminear60 7 years, 10 months ago

Thomas Jefferson, James Madison and Maya Angelou

justsomewench 7 years, 10 months ago

shel silverstein, george saunders, terry pratchett

badger 7 years, 10 months ago

Neil Gaiman and Neal Stephenson, I think, with a hearty side dose of Jasper Fforde, with whom I could talk classics and puns for hours.

I dig the Roosevelt books by Morris, too. R_I, IMHO the first book was actually better than "Theodore Rex." I'd recommend picking it up.

BrianR 7 years, 10 months ago

If any author could meet me, Dr. Suess I think it'd be.

janeyb 7 years, 10 months ago

You are really cute Sarah. I'm sure Bill would like to meet you too.

I'm also a Bill Clinton fan politically, but don't know if I would consider him an author.

Mary Downing Hahn or Beverly Cleary from my young teen years. Any author who has had a book placed on a banned book list--my favorite reference source for fiction.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 10 months ago

Ambrose Bierce, so I could ask him "what the heck happened to you?"

Aileen Dingus 7 years, 10 months ago

Neal Stephenson, Tony Horwitz, Frank Herbert and Michael Shaara.

OH- Patrick Dennis.

Jason Bowers-Chaika 7 years, 10 months ago

God. The editors of his book got it all messed up.

preebo 7 years, 10 months ago

John Muir or Edward Abbey, maybe even Henry David Thoreau.

Centrist 7 years, 10 months ago

Richard Laymon

Douglas Adams

Dr. Suess :)

ms_canada 7 years, 10 months ago

Oh my gosh, how can I possibly choose one. The first two that come to mind and I am with sunflower on this, Diana Gabaldon would be fascinating to meet. But I think first choice would be Jack Whyte and that would be relatively easy as he lives in Kelowna, B.C. which is only one hour away by plane or 12 by car. I would so enjoy talking to him about his series The Camulod Chronicles and now his books on the Knights Tempar. I would be over joyed to meet him.

matahari 7 years, 10 months ago

Will Rogers, Marquis de Sade, Nick Cave, in that order.

sigerson 7 years, 10 months ago

Larry Dossey, author of "Prayer is Good Medicine," Douglas Adams, William Langewiesche, who writes the most incredible nonfiction articles for "The Atlantic." But Original_Bob is right: Admire from afar.

TravisTyson 7 years, 10 months ago

Langston Hughes, in a heart beat. I've met and discussed literature with Harryette Mullen. Another one would be Zora Neil Hurston, F Scott Fitzgerald, and the late Gordon Parks.

milehighhawk 7 years, 10 months ago

Top three choices:

Bukowski Bukowski Bukowski

aeroscout17 7 years, 10 months ago

Oh man somebody already beat me to Edward Abbey!