Previous   Next

Have you ever been to a haunted house?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 27, 2007

Browse the archives

“Yeah, one in Topeka. It was a two-story house out in the country by Forbes Field. I was kind of little, so it was pretty scary with everyone jumping out to scare you and everything.”

“No, never. I’m too scared, I guess. My friend tried to get me to go once, but I don’t want to pay my money to be scared.”

“Yes, a real one, supposedly. It was an abandoned house that I heard about from some friends. It was way out on some gravel road near Kansas City … They say someone had been killed there.”

“Yes, in downtown Kansas City. We went with our church group. It was a lot of fun. There was actually a shooting while we were inside, and I thought it was part of it.”

Comments

Paul R Getto 6 years, 5 months ago

Jane - racist comments are not tolerated on this forum.

janeb 6 years, 5 months ago

Once I took a wrong turn in the city ended up in Fairfax, no need to go in the houses could tell from outside they were full of spooks. I got the heck outta there.

Kathy Getto 6 years, 5 months ago

Lynn731 - the house Jill is talking about was a fund-raiser for the Topeka Jaycees about 20 years ago or so - I had the pleasure of portraying a vampire in that house. We usually found a house that was set for demolition, then fixed what we needed for the haunted house to raise money for Cerebral Palsy. The house you are talking about was East of Croco Rd - never went there, but heard about it.

I am with matahari - don't feel the need to pay to be scared!

Flap Doodle 6 years, 5 months ago

I have a haunted refrigerator. It contains the ghost of meatloaves past.

spywell 6 years, 5 months ago

No, but I lived in a haunted car once. It went down the road with a mind of its own and when you turned it off it would restart its self. 66 Lincoln Contential, baby blue with a white top. Suicide doors, and 5 miles to the gallon. I gave it away twice and it kept coming back somehow.

black_butterfly 6 years, 5 months ago

I have been to one years ago and I wont go into them now. For one thing I'm too old for that LOL, besides, things are not like they were when I was a teen. People are too mean. They don't just scare you anymore. I have heard stories of people getting hit, bitten, and having to fight their way out of them. It is dark so the people working in the haunted houses know that they can get away with a lot. I even heard a report last week about a girl saying she got raped in a haunted house in Kansas City. NO thank you!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 5 months ago

emily, the story was about "flaunted blouses."

emily_litella 6 years, 5 months ago

What's all this talk about taunted spouses? I think we can all agree that domestic violence is a bad thing; why do we keep rehashing it?

Lynn731 6 years, 5 months ago

I wish I knew which house Jill was in. There was a house which was abandoned. The owner lived nearby. He was always calling about trespassers inside the house. It was always kids who thought the house was haunted. There was a pentagram painted on the floor of the living room with red paint. One Sgt., after responding to the house, had nothing but bad luck. I was with him, and I stepped in the pentagram too. I never had any increase in bad luck. So, Jill if this was the house let me know! It was on Paulen Road, I believe, but it has been a long time. I know some guys that would know for sure. Thank you, Lynn

matahari 6 years, 5 months ago

Does anyone remember the corpse(s) that were stolen from the anatomy dept at KU years ago, and placed near potters' lake? Now THAT was funny! I also heard they took a frozen arm and hung it from a light (where you have to reach for the string) in a house, and also stole a human head and placed it in a guys yard, and when the guy went out to see what his dogs were fighting over discovered what it was.......times have changed I guess? I am with Ms Cho, I refuse to pay to get scared....although the old haunted house in the bottoms (near Kemper arena) in KC was quite the rave way back when.....

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 5 months ago

Py -

Back when I lived in KC there was a couple instances of shootings outside of haunted houses. Most of the good ones are in the West Bottoms. She may be referring to one of those. Actually, a girl was allegedly raped last week by employees of the Edge of Hell. Not a good part of KC.

Also, I've been to a bunch of haunted houses in KC. A lot of fun if you go when it is not crowded. Price has gotten really expensive. I haven't been in several years.

The scariest hanted house was the old church in Stull.

EasyTiger 6 years, 5 months ago

I've been to the Haunted Houses in KC. My friends went to them while on mushrooms in college, I said no thank you and went sober. I couldn't have handled them that way. . .

And I've been to my parent's house. It's a gargantuan structure they only had built back in the 90's, but all kinds of weird things happen. Electronics are always going haywire, turning on in the middle of the night, doorbell ringing in the middle of the night, garage doors opening and closing, even mechanical objects setting their parts in motion. Things often happen right at 3 AM too. My sister has seen a ghostly white/blue woman in her room, my father's supposedly seen it too. Even though the house is only like 15 years old, the acres of land it sits on we only later found out to have some kind of history to it, something about old military and indian trails running right through. I guess we disturbed some ground and pissed off some spirits.

Funny thing is, I'm the only one in the family to have never had a single experience of the out-of-the-ordinary there. Fun stuff though, the place does have this castle/old-world creepy "outside of London" feel to it, just so long as it doesn't turn into Amytiville!

ms_canada 6 years, 5 months ago

When visiting my sister in Montana in July, we stayed with her friends way up on the side of the mountains, Bitterroot Mtns.. Her friend Ray is a very clever man. He built a two story haunted house. It is just amazing. He even built a small elevator to take you to the upper story to the party room. The main floor has five rooms and each room has a theme. One of them is Arsenic and Old Lace. Furnished like the room in the movie. That room has a basement where the bodies of the two old ladies are buried. There are sound effects and ghosts that fly out at you when you open a door. Every Halloween Ray and Judy have two parties. One for kiids on the lower floor and one for adults upstairs. Great fun. And so clever of Ray.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm intrigued about Melissa's answer, too, Py.

As for the question: yes, I have, but only once. I'm not really interested in that sort of thing.

Pywacket 6 years, 5 months ago

Several intriguing answers today. I'd like to hear both Stephen and Melissa elaborate on those experiences. Did anything strange happen while Stephen was at the "real" haunted house? Did he come away convinced of paranormal activity or did he chalk up the place's reputation to wishful haunt-hoping on the part of believers?

And where did the shooting take place in Melissa's story--right outside the house? Not inside, I would hope. What happened next--were emergency personnel swarming all over when her church group emerged from the haunted house? Were they questioned about what they might have seen or heard? Come on, kids--sign in and tell us more!

TOB~ Were you too traumatized by your experience to share with us? Come on.... tell!

As for you, Steve... I'm afraid you'll be haunting the desert for some time to come. R.I.P(ieces)