Previous   Next

Have you ever been to a haunted house?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 27, 2007

Browse the archives

“Yeah, one in Topeka. It was a two-story house out in the country by Forbes Field. I was kind of little, so it was pretty scary with everyone jumping out to scare you and everything.”

“No, never. I’m too scared, I guess. My friend tried to get me to go once, but I don’t want to pay my money to be scared.”

“Yes, a real one, supposedly. It was an abandoned house that I heard about from some friends. It was way out on some gravel road near Kansas City … They say someone had been killed there.”

“Yes, in downtown Kansas City. We went with our church group. It was a lot of fun. There was actually a shooting while we were inside, and I thought it was part of it.”

Comments

sgtwolverine 6 years, 12 months ago

I'm intrigued about Melissa's answer, too, Py.

As for the question: yes, I have, but only once. I'm not really interested in that sort of thing.

ms_canada 6 years, 12 months ago

When visiting my sister in Montana in July, we stayed with her friends way up on the side of the mountains, Bitterroot Mtns.. Her friend Ray is a very clever man. He built a two story haunted house. It is just amazing. He even built a small elevator to take you to the upper story to the party room. The main floor has five rooms and each room has a theme. One of them is Arsenic and Old Lace. Furnished like the room in the movie. That room has a basement where the bodies of the two old ladies are buried. There are sound effects and ghosts that fly out at you when you open a door. Every Halloween Ray and Judy have two parties. One for kiids on the lower floor and one for adults upstairs. Great fun. And so clever of Ray.

matahari 6 years, 12 months ago

Does anyone remember the corpse(s) that were stolen from the anatomy dept at KU years ago, and placed near potters' lake? Now THAT was funny! I also heard they took a frozen arm and hung it from a light (where you have to reach for the string) in a house, and also stole a human head and placed it in a guys yard, and when the guy went out to see what his dogs were fighting over discovered what it was.......times have changed I guess? I am with Ms Cho, I refuse to pay to get scared....although the old haunted house in the bottoms (near Kemper arena) in KC was quite the rave way back when.....

Charles L Bloss Jr 6 years, 12 months ago

I wish I knew which house Jill was in. There was a house which was abandoned. The owner lived nearby. He was always calling about trespassers inside the house. It was always kids who thought the house was haunted. There was a pentagram painted on the floor of the living room with red paint. One Sgt., after responding to the house, had nothing but bad luck. I was with him, and I stepped in the pentagram too. I never had any increase in bad luck. So, Jill if this was the house let me know! It was on Paulen Road, I believe, but it has been a long time. I know some guys that would know for sure. Thank you, Lynn

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 12 months ago

emily, the story was about "flaunted blouses."

black_butterfly 6 years, 12 months ago

I have been to one years ago and I wont go into them now. For one thing I'm too old for that LOL, besides, things are not like they were when I was a teen. People are too mean. They don't just scare you anymore. I have heard stories of people getting hit, bitten, and having to fight their way out of them. It is dark so the people working in the haunted houses know that they can get away with a lot. I even heard a report last week about a girl saying she got raped in a haunted house in Kansas City. NO thank you!

Flap Doodle 6 years, 12 months ago

I have a haunted refrigerator. It contains the ghost of meatloaves past.

Kathy Getto 6 years, 12 months ago

Lynn731 - the house Jill is talking about was a fund-raiser for the Topeka Jaycees about 20 years ago or so - I had the pleasure of portraying a vampire in that house. We usually found a house that was set for demolition, then fixed what we needed for the haunted house to raise money for Cerebral Palsy. The house you are talking about was East of Croco Rd - never went there, but heard about it.

I am with matahari - don't feel the need to pay to be scared!

janeb 6 years, 12 months ago

Once I took a wrong turn in the city ended up in Fairfax, no need to go in the houses could tell from outside they were full of spooks. I got the heck outta there.