Previous   Next

How do you like your broccoli?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 23, 2007

Browse the archives

“Steamed. I like the taste to melt in my mouth, and you have to steam it to make it tender enough.”

“I love broccoli sauteed with Middle Eastern spices, and of course I like it with cheese.”

“I like it in broccoli and cheese soup or steamed.”

“Steamed with butter. That’s about all I have time to cook with it.”

Comments

Crossfire 6 years, 5 months ago

There ain't no "F" in' broccoli.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 5 months ago

acg, thanks for the recipe! Yum!

Py, I was on the playground after school, but he was a no-show. :(

overthemoon 6 years, 5 months ago

This is funny...so many responses. I LOVE BROCOLLI on a slice of Papa Keno's Pizza. Brocolli, Garlic, no cheese. MMMMMMMMMmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm Ok, so don't hang around me after lunch!

GretchenJP 6 years, 5 months ago

Columbus and Cold Tur have the same number of letters.

Pywacket 6 years, 5 months ago

Sue, you okay? I leave a few hours and what do you do? Tempt fate! I hope Marion didn't come after you with a tire iron after your "mush" comment.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 5 months ago

winner... winner... a common typo, the "e" and "n" being so close on the keyboard

Gretch, I'm bailin'. I need to dry out. I'm goin' Columb... Colu... Cold Turkey.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 5 months ago

"I can't believe they didn't pull that comment of mine out of there yet."

I personally suggested immediate removal.

GretchenJP 6 years, 5 months ago

Gretchen and broccoli. mmmmmm

GretchenJP 6 years, 5 months ago

Gretchen tasted like chicken.

GretchenJP 6 years, 5 months ago

I can't believe they didn't pull that comment of mine out of there yet.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 5 months ago

Hannibal? That you in there? What have you done with Gretchen?

GretchenJP 6 years, 5 months ago

We're going to have to stop meeting like this. LJW will ban us once they find out what we're doing. Amputate a man's leg and he can still feel it tickling. Tell me, mum, when your little girl is on the slab, where will it tickle you?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 5 months ago

( Psst... Gretch... we've been tandem posting... someone's gonna find out.... )

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 5 months ago

It puts the lotion in the basket, or it gets the hose again.

GretchenJP 6 years, 5 months ago

It rubs the lotion on its skin. It does this whenever it is told.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 6 years, 5 months ago

"It should be served warm but still crispy as a side flavoured with garlic, butter, a bit of finely chopped red onion and perhaps a dash of lemon juice."

... with some fava beans and a nice chianti.

GretchenJP 6 years, 5 months ago

Smooshy with crunchy tops... sauteed in butter and drowned in cheese and salted. Oh man, I want broccoli now.

Jonathan_Jason_McDaniels 6 years, 5 months ago

I like my broccoli raw.....and a little ranch dressing on the side.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 5 months ago

Dinner with R_I is definitely a show.

sigerson 6 years, 5 months ago

Who thinks up these questions? Really?

Would like to have dinner with Reticent. It would be dinner and a show. Especially with sound effects.

HesterPrynne 6 years, 5 months ago

Steamed in my Bamboo steamer w/ a tad of garlic and low cal butter. Ranch dressing is the #1 cause of large butts.

gypsy10 6 years, 5 months ago

agc - mmmm!! Thanks for the recipe. A definite add to the "cold winter nights" edition of my collections :}

gl0ck0wnr 6 years, 5 months ago

Deep fried and dipped in ranch dressing.

ms_canada 6 years, 5 months ago

acg - thank you for the recipe. I do love broccoli soup. And homemade is the best but I did not have a recipe. I like it especially with cheese whiz in it. Raw with a dip is nice too.

acg 6 years, 5 months ago

5 large potatoes, cut into cubes 1 large chopped onion 2 cloves finely chopped garlic salt/pepper chopped celery sprinkle crushed red pepper 1 basil leaf water to cover boil in very large pot until nearly tender. When just about tender (for mashing) add: 4 large potatoes, cut into cubes, 3 large heads of chopped broccoli, more water, little more salt and pepper (to taste) and boil again until nearly tender and then add 4 more large potatoes, water (if needed) and boil until a bit al dente. Add 3 cups milk and bring to simmer (slowly, don't scorch or curdle the milk). Thicken as you like (I always use corn starch/water to thicken) and serve with crumbled bacon and shredded cheddar cheese. The purpose of adding potatoes 3 times is that when it's all said and done, you have this thick soup that has a mushed potato base and then cubes of potatoes that are still hard enough to eat without them crumbling. If you top with bacon, it doesn't need added salt (as most potato soups do).

sgtwolverine 6 years, 5 months ago

Sue, you're such a troublemaker.

I like my broccoli green.

dajudge 6 years, 5 months ago

I like to lightly steam or boil it and then put it into a quiche. Or on a nice salad.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 5 months ago

acg, What? No recipe? We want details.

I like my broccoli cooked to mush. :)

Ceallach 6 years, 5 months ago

acg, what time are you planning to bowl up that soup? :D

Pywacket 6 years, 5 months ago

Calm down, Marion. I don't believe that anyone has claimed to enjoy broccoli cooked to mush. Several people mentioned "crisp" or "al dente" as the desired texture of properly steamed broccoli.

Now go lie down with a bag of frozen peas on your forehead until the spasms die down. And wipe that spume off your lips before one of your pals shoots you on suspicion of rabies.

Marion Lynn 6 years, 5 months ago

Broccoli should NOT be steamed or cooked into mush!

Broccoli casseroles are a different story but in no case should broccoli be boiled or steamed to the point of being mush!

Pywacket 6 years, 5 months ago

I like it steamed, raw, in soups, stir-fried, with rice...

but mostly I like it in the credits.

Broccoli...Cubby Broccoli.. 007 producer extraordinaire..

gypsy10 6 years, 5 months ago

4 bunches (12 to 16 ounces each) broccoli trimmed 1/4 cup olive oil 3 garlic cloves, chopped 1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper flakes Salt

Steam the broccoli til crisp tender. Saute garlic in olive oil then add crushed pepper flakes and finally toss in steamed broccoli & salt to taste - toss this all gently in the pan - heat through being careful not to overcook your broccoli. Eat up - YUM-YUM!!

acg 6 years, 5 months ago

Hidden in stuff, usually. I really dig my homemade broccoli/potato soup. It takes all day to make and it's so rich and creamy. You top it with shredded cheddar and crumbled bacon. Mmmm. I think I'll make some of that this weekend.

ThatGirl 6 years, 5 months ago

Raw dipped in ranch dressing! Yummy!!

oldvet 6 years, 5 months ago

Steamed al dente with some garlic and butter... or raw in a great oriental salad recipe...

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 5 months ago

Raw. Can't stand it any other way.

logicsound04 6 years, 5 months ago

"She's choppin' broccoli, She's choppin' broccolai, She's choppin' broccolay,

She's a-chop-pin' broc-co-li...."

mom_of_three 6 years, 5 months ago

I don't like my broccoli. A couple of my kids may eat it raw, or with some cheese.

But I will eat cauliflower......

sunflower_sue 6 years, 5 months ago

I would eat it on a train, I would eat it in the rain...

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 5 months ago

"One of the darkest days in American history was March 22, 1990. On this day, the President of the United States, George Herbert Walker Bush, declared in a news conference that: He did not like broccoli, he hasn't liked it since he was a little kid, and that he is "the President of the United States and . . . [he's] "not going to eat any more broccoli."

jonas 6 years, 5 months ago

Preferably in another state. It's a definite contender for least favorite food.

trinity 6 years, 5 months ago

i love the taste of broccoli any ol' way! :)

tyger_lily 6 years, 5 months ago

The beef and broccoli chinese dish at HyVee. It is always so fresh and still a bit crisp when you get it there. I also love it with pasta and chicken with a white sauce. Yummy veggie!

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 5 months ago

I like to imagine my broccoli as prehistoric trees,standing in an valley of mashed potatoes, a river of gravy running through it.
Small steak dinosaurs inhabit the valley. Suddenly the cruel fork of God swoops down and spears the beasts, lifting them towards the heavens, ne'er to be seen again.

Broccoli in stir-fry looks like the ravishes of a F-5 tornado.
It makes me feel sad.

Dioramas on a plate, thats how I like my broccoli.

gccs14r 6 years, 5 months ago

Raw, steamed, in soup, or any other way I can get it.

Dixie Jones 6 years, 5 months ago

on someone else's plate...lol no really i like it with WAY too much cheese to make even the healthiest veggie unhealthy.. Great day everyone ! ! !