Previous   Next

What is your favorite musical?

Asked at Central Junior High School on October 23, 2007

Browse the archives

Annie.’ I love those songs. I’ve got them all memorized.”

Rent.’ I like the songs; they’re awesome. And I like it because it deals with a lot of real-life issues.”

“I’d say ‘Grease.’ The songs are pretty cool, and they make me want to dance. It’s too bad I can’t dance.”

The Nightmare Before Christmas.’ It’s the best movie that Disney ever made.”

Grease’ is my favorite, but ‘Hairspray’ is a very close second. ‘Grease’ is really funny, and I like movies that are set in that time period.”

The Producers.’ I like Mel Brooks’ movies a lot. It’s a good comedy.”

“Monty Python’s ‘The Meaning of Life.’ I like it because it pokes fun at things that usually aren’t poked fun at, but need to be.”

The Producers.’ It’s just a great idea for a film.”

Comments

oldvet 9 years, 1 month ago

Well, if you're an ABBA fan, it has to be Mamma Mia! But my personal favorites are Phantom and Les Miserables. Become familiar with the lyrics, understand the story flow, and you can watch the performance over and over in your mind just listening to the score.

Eric Neuteboom 9 years, 1 month ago

Blues Brothers. Nothing else even comes close.

countrygirl 9 years, 1 month ago

Cats. Saw it on Broadway long time ago--great show.

coolmarv 9 years, 1 month ago

"Sound of Music" and "The Music Man"

Ceallach 9 years, 1 month ago

Cats, Phantom of the Opera, so many great musicals, hard to choose.

coolmarv 9 years, 1 month ago

"A Hard Day's Night" is pretty good.

jonas 9 years, 1 month ago

Anyone here seen "Cannibal The Musical," with the guys who make South Park and their buddies? Great stuff!

ranger73 9 years, 1 month ago

South Pacific, The Music Man, Paint Your Wagon- But the movie version is better-Lee Marvin croaking out songs and Clint Eastwood singing...Haaaaaa!

mom_of_three 9 years, 1 month ago

I have always liked the "Sound of Music," but "Oklahoma" is great.
The music from the "Chorus Line" is classic.

Linda Aikins 9 years, 1 month ago

Cats. No contest. I've seen it five times. Love the Monty Python comment!

Tony Kisner 9 years, 1 month ago

Guys and Dolls,

Love to watch Colonel Walt Kurtz sing and dance.

GretchenJP 9 years, 1 month ago

blue73harley (Anonymous) says:

"Dammit Janet, Rocky Horror is the best!"

AGREED!!! Grease is good too.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous (Anonymous) says:

"Chairs."

HAHAHA! I caught that one on Broadway. Hey Tang, is it just me or are we no longer able to continue to comment on our famous discussion?? There wasn't a place for me to put in a comment anymore! pout

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 9 years, 1 month ago

"Hey Tang, is it just me or are we no longer able to continue to comment on our famous discussion?? There wasn't a place for me to put in a comment anymore! pout"

Name change sought for holiday, but mayor says it's up to legislators October 5, 2007 824 comments

[gasp] you're right. It's like the music stopped, and there wasn't any chair left in which to sit.

Hey, Gretch, remember that weird numerology thing going on between you and Columbus?

Get this... Columbus is dead ... 8 2 4.

I'm going to play the blog backward, at a slow speed, and see what else turns up.

GretchenJP 9 years, 1 month ago

Say, that IS spooky.

So I guess 824 is the limit on posts. An era is dead. Although I'm sure there are many who are glad it has ended.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 9 years, 1 month ago

Now, we're going to have to test several other forums, just to verify that 824 is indeed the limit....

GretchenJP 9 years, 1 month ago

My thoughts exactly!! So let's use THIS one!! 23 comments so far and a MERE 802 to go!!

GretchenJP 9 years, 1 month ago

Dots and Stone, come forward!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I summon you.

jonas 9 years, 1 month ago

824 posts. I didn't really keep tabs on that one, can anyone tell me what the heck they were talking about for that many posts?

GretchenJP 9 years, 1 month ago

And monkeys. Oh hold on, wait, that was another discussion. They're all a blur to me.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 9 years, 1 month ago

Flying monkeys... which reminds me... musicals... Wizard of Oz!

GretchenJP 9 years, 1 month ago

Oh well DUH! What's wrong with us, how could WE forget that?? When I lived in Atlanta everyone thought they were soooo very original calling me Dorothy... I even have a little crappy dog that looks like Toto.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 9 years, 1 month ago

Gretch... you used "crappy" and "Toto" in the same sentence and, unless I'm mistaken, the reference was clear.

Perhaps you were away in Atlanta, too long?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 9 years, 1 month ago

"... The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding In all of the directions it can whizz As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know, Twelve million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there is. So remember, when you're feeling very [fat] and insecure, How amazingly unlikely is your birth, And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth. "

Julie Craig 9 years, 1 month ago

Singing in the Rain and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

sigerson 9 years, 1 month ago

The first vote for "Kismit," I believe.

Godot 9 years, 1 month ago

Ditto, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. Kiss Me, Kate is great fun, too.

earline james 9 years, 1 month ago

Musicals! Love 'em. Guys and Dolls is a favorite. And The Rose (even though Bette Midler is the only one singing. That counts! I have the soundtrack.) Soundtrack? O Brother Where Art Thou? Loved it... Glad someone mentioned the Wizard of Oz. My favorite Judy Garland movie was her version of A Star is Born (she's the only one singing, but still, The Man Who Got Away? what's not to love?) Am I the only one who remembers Paint Your Wagon? Come on people: Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin - Singing! Ha ha. Now, it's all You Got served, or Rock the Yard, or whatever. I enjoy watching the dancing, but I know I'm too old for the hippty hoppty music. Hippty Hoppity? The Ladykillers (the soundtrack, anyway). Musicals? Love 'em.

earline james 9 years, 1 month ago

Sweet Charity! I haven't seen any of these on stage; only the movies. Also, DreamGirls.

erod0723 9 years, 1 month ago

I'm rather partial to the musical episode of "Scrubs". Great, great show....