Previous   Next

What is your favorite musical?

Asked at Central Junior High School on October 23, 2007

Browse the archives

Annie.’ I love those songs. I’ve got them all memorized.”

Rent.’ I like the songs; they’re awesome. And I like it because it deals with a lot of real-life issues.”

“I’d say ‘Grease.’ The songs are pretty cool, and they make me want to dance. It’s too bad I can’t dance.”

The Nightmare Before Christmas.’ It’s the best movie that Disney ever made.”

Grease’ is my favorite, but ‘Hairspray’ is a very close second. ‘Grease’ is really funny, and I like movies that are set in that time period.”

The Producers.’ I like Mel Brooks’ movies a lot. It’s a good comedy.”

“Monty Python’s ‘The Meaning of Life.’ I like it because it pokes fun at things that usually aren’t poked fun at, but need to be.”

The Producers.’ It’s just a great idea for a film.”

Comments

oldvet 10 years ago

Well, if you're an ABBA fan, it has to be Mamma Mia! But my personal favorites are Phantom and Les Miserables. Become familiar with the lyrics, understand the story flow, and you can watch the performance over and over in your mind just listening to the score.

Eric Neuteboom 10 years ago

Blues Brothers. Nothing else even comes close.

countrygirl 10 years ago

Cats. Saw it on Broadway long time ago--great show.

coolmarv 10 years ago

"Sound of Music" and "The Music Man"

Ceallach 10 years ago

Cats, Phantom of the Opera, so many great musicals, hard to choose.

coolmarv 10 years ago

"A Hard Day's Night" is pretty good.

jonas 10 years ago

Anyone here seen "Cannibal The Musical," with the guys who make South Park and their buddies? Great stuff!

ranger73 10 years ago

South Pacific, The Music Man, Paint Your Wagon- But the movie version is better-Lee Marvin croaking out songs and Clint Eastwood singing...Haaaaaa!

mom_of_three 10 years ago

I have always liked the "Sound of Music," but "Oklahoma" is great.
The music from the "Chorus Line" is classic.

Linda Aikins 10 years ago

Cats. No contest. I've seen it five times. Love the Monty Python comment!

Tony Kisner 10 years ago

Guys and Dolls,

Love to watch Colonel Walt Kurtz sing and dance.

GretchenJP 10 years ago

blue73harley (Anonymous) says:

"Dammit Janet, Rocky Horror is the best!"

AGREED!!! Grease is good too.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous (Anonymous) says:

"Chairs."

HAHAHA! I caught that one on Broadway. Hey Tang, is it just me or are we no longer able to continue to comment on our famous discussion?? There wasn't a place for me to put in a comment anymore! pout

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 10 years ago

"Hey Tang, is it just me or are we no longer able to continue to comment on our famous discussion?? There wasn't a place for me to put in a comment anymore! pout"

Name change sought for holiday, but mayor says it's up to legislators October 5, 2007 824 comments

[gasp] you're right. It's like the music stopped, and there wasn't any chair left in which to sit.

Hey, Gretch, remember that weird numerology thing going on between you and Columbus?

Get this... Columbus is dead ... 8 2 4.

I'm going to play the blog backward, at a slow speed, and see what else turns up.

GretchenJP 10 years ago

Say, that IS spooky.

So I guess 824 is the limit on posts. An era is dead. Although I'm sure there are many who are glad it has ended.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 10 years ago

Now, we're going to have to test several other forums, just to verify that 824 is indeed the limit....

GretchenJP 10 years ago

My thoughts exactly!! So let's use THIS one!! 23 comments so far and a MERE 802 to go!!

GretchenJP 10 years ago

Dots and Stone, come forward!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I summon you.

jonas 10 years ago

824 posts. I didn't really keep tabs on that one, can anyone tell me what the heck they were talking about for that many posts?

GretchenJP 10 years ago

And monkeys. Oh hold on, wait, that was another discussion. They're all a blur to me.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 10 years ago

Flying monkeys... which reminds me... musicals... Wizard of Oz!

GretchenJP 10 years ago

Oh well DUH! What's wrong with us, how could WE forget that?? When I lived in Atlanta everyone thought they were soooo very original calling me Dorothy... I even have a little crappy dog that looks like Toto.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 10 years ago

Gretch... you used "crappy" and "Toto" in the same sentence and, unless I'm mistaken, the reference was clear.

Perhaps you were away in Atlanta, too long?

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 10 years ago

"... The universe itself keeps on expanding and expanding In all of the directions it can whizz As fast as it can go, at the speed of light, you know, Twelve million miles a minute, and that's the fastest speed there is. So remember, when you're feeling very [fat] and insecure, How amazingly unlikely is your birth, And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space, 'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth. "

Hopbe 10 years ago

Brigadoon and Singin' in the Rain

Julie Craig 10 years ago

Singing in the Rain and Seven Brides for Seven Brothers

sigerson 10 years ago

The first vote for "Kismit," I believe.

Godot 10 years ago

Ditto, Seven Brides for Seven Brothers. Kiss Me, Kate is great fun, too.

earline james 10 years ago

Musicals! Love 'em. Guys and Dolls is a favorite. And The Rose (even though Bette Midler is the only one singing. That counts! I have the soundtrack.) Soundtrack? O Brother Where Art Thou? Loved it... Glad someone mentioned the Wizard of Oz. My favorite Judy Garland movie was her version of A Star is Born (she's the only one singing, but still, The Man Who Got Away? what's not to love?) Am I the only one who remembers Paint Your Wagon? Come on people: Clint Eastwood and Lee Marvin - Singing! Ha ha. Now, it's all You Got served, or Rock the Yard, or whatever. I enjoy watching the dancing, but I know I'm too old for the hippty hoppty music. Hippty Hoppity? The Ladykillers (the soundtrack, anyway). Musicals? Love 'em.

always4ever 10 years ago

Definitely - Jesus Christ Superstar!

earline james 10 years ago

Sweet Charity! I haven't seen any of these on stage; only the movies. Also, DreamGirls.

erod0723 10 years ago

I'm rather partial to the musical episode of "Scrubs". Great, great show....