Previous   Next

What advice do you have for motorcycle riders?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 21, 2007

Browse the archives

“Wear your helmet, always use your blinker, because a lot of them don’t, and don’t swerve between cars.”

“No tailgating or squeezing between the lanes, obey the traffic laws at all times and try to maintain visibility.”

“Don’t go in between the lanes when traffic slows down; it makes them hard to see. And always wear a helmet.”

“A lot of them weave in and out of traffic more than they should.”

Comments

Crossfire 6 years, 10 months ago

Ride like everybody in a door slammer is going to kill you. Most of them will not see or hear you. Remember that in Bike v Car the Car will win. Left turns kill.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 10 months ago

You are not Evel Knievel. A public highway is neither a Grand Prix track nor an appropriate place to practice for your Hollywood stunt career.

Crossfire 6 years, 10 months ago

Clutch thing... Speed shifts if done the right way do not really shorten the life of the transmission that much. Learned it driving grain trucks. Never lost a gearbox doing it yet.

geekin_topekan 6 years, 10 months ago

When confronted with Two evils,choose the one you've never done before.(Bikers and non-bikers alike)

trinity 6 years, 10 months ago

how do ya's all notice such things we riders do-when you're either texting or talking on your phone, eating, etc while driving??

average 6 years, 10 months ago

With a tuneup (and not a deliberate mistuning), most bikes are capable of operating below 100 dB. If you're depending on your pipes to make you heard inside a modern sound-deadened car, you're going to be too damn loud.

Chris Beilman 6 years, 10 months ago

A cyclist ???? It would appear that you are not talking about motorcycles here. Since it takes two hands to operate a "motorcycle" (throttle on the right, clutch on the left) it would seem almost impossible to beleive this event ever took place.

50YearResident 6 years, 10 months ago

Don't drink and ride. It makes for bad decisions.

Dixie Jones 6 years, 10 months ago

LMAO radiohawk... everyone should have insurance if they are gonna ride a murdercycle

H_Lecter 6 years, 10 months ago

Conclusion: Female passengers enjoy: the following: 1. fast acceleration 2. leaning into corners 3. having the front wheel off the ground. Premise: They give you a tight hug each time.

camper 6 years, 10 months ago

Don't apply the front brake when turning. If you hit gravel the bike will slide out from under you. This happened to me. In fact, after that I always used the back brake. Now I don't drive a bike anymore. My brother has got one and it causes us to worry about him.

mmiller 6 years, 10 months ago

Wear your helmet and drive competently. That's my advice. I see so many motorcylcists without helmets. How stupid can you be???!!! Personal preference I suppose. Each to his own. Personally, I think they're dangerous with or without a helmet. I would never own one.

LJWJohn 6 years, 10 months ago

This is for RETIECENT_IRREVERENT......................If you only use the clutch to stop and start your bike besides it being a "bit jerky" as you stated you will be in for repairs long before the rest of us. I just bought a new Harley (not my first) and would never dream of not useing the clutch as I change from one gear to another. I do drive with the utmost caution as I know most motorcycle accidents are the other drivers fault. But if you have the mentality to "ride it like you stole it" you are an accident waiting to happen and some innocent person will be in your way and have to suffer from your ignorant attitude. I love to ride my bike and treat others with the best respect in hopes to have that in return. I see a lot of college students treating our main roads in Lawrence as Drag Strips, another accident waiting to happen. Get out and ride and enjoy it. Watch for those around you. But, most of all don't be the jerk on the bike. You give a bad name to the majority of the rest of us who want to enjoy our ride!!!

Crossfire 6 years, 10 months ago

Rip the mufflers off and ride the yellow line. How long you wanna live anyway...

LJWJohn 6 years, 10 months ago

Watch out for RETICENT_ IRREVERENT. He is a nut! Treat cars with respect in hopes they will do the same. Watch out for sand or loose gravel. And as for all the buy life insurance comments etc. I do have insurance and firmly believe when your time comes it comes. So, I really feel for the people who do not get to enjoy life to it's fullest for fear of what might happen.

doc1 6 years, 10 months ago

Don't drive crotch rockets. They are for little girly men or high school boys

Nick Yoho 6 years, 10 months ago

I think its the cagers that need the advice. my "crotch rocket" gets 65 mpg,thanks.

camper 6 years, 10 months ago

Doc1. Motorcycles are fun to drive though. There is nothing like that feeling of speed. You are so close to it and can feel it. I used to take my dirt bike out onto motocross trails and even built a dirt ramp. That feeling of rolling back the throttle and flying thru the air was something else. But I can't do this no more because I got old and the speed I once enjoyed now makes me a fearfull. Today I just don't think roads are safe to drive a bike on because car drivers are careless.

GretchenJP 6 years, 10 months ago

Don't ride it down 59 highway.

LJWJohn 6 years, 10 months ago

65 MPG WOW must be a small motor with no extra performance stuff. Noticed the last part of your LJW name is KID! You don't see a lot of grown ups or mature people on them unless they are on a racetrack making money at it! You keep your rocket and I will stay on my Harley!

doc1 6 years, 10 months ago

Camper, I agree dirt bikes are fun and the rush is great. But as Arnold Swartzenegger once said, "Crotch rockets are for P_ ssi_s!" Seriously they are for girly men or little boys.

Brian Conrad 6 years, 10 months ago

yellow line optional... white line out of bounds ... only the young crotch rocket guys weave in and out of traffic, especially 23rd street. us older geezers watching out for the cell phone users and DEER. And those driving under influence.. would rather be hit by one of those bikers than some drunk hillbilly in his pickem up truck.

devieh 6 years, 10 months ago

i was the guy dialing on my phone while turning on my bicycle... ha

Angie Dick 6 years, 10 months ago

oo my lord.. I can't stand it, I have got to comment, First off People are so judgemental about motorcycles. It could happen to anyone at any time. Heck for that matter you aren't safe in car either. Oo don't even get me started. i just had a friends mom that wrecked on a bike and others aswell! It has nothing to do with the so called not being able to ride or being stupid ect. It is called $hit happens. OO why can't people just have a heart? As long as they are abiding by the law and being a safe as they canbe? Why would any one have a reason to be so cruel? Worry about about those drunks, rapist and drug addicts ect. vereses bashing people that live a normal life. Half the problem is people, Just don't give a crap. OO I didn't know em. Dumb a$$. Put your self in their shoes. Think about it , if it was your loved one. You'd be in the same shoes as anyone else. Don't even say oo not me, cause that don't exsist. Everyone is so evil about things. You alway's have to remember, It could be you or it could be a good friend or a loved one. Just give love not hate. I bet 10-1 if someone sent someone a message saying I am so sorry for your loss or I am so sorry to hear about this that or the other. that would so make their day, Or if they did the same for you ect. We all will have our heart aches and battles, Why not just be nice to all. What will it harm? Nothing If ya ask me! I don't know I guess we all just need to direct our focuses on things that matter not mishaps!

sfjayhawk 6 years, 10 months ago

fill out organ donor card please!

storm 6 years, 10 months ago

keep your donor card with you at all times, and make sure it is updated.

Crossfire 6 years, 10 months ago

In some of the heavily congested areas of the world, motorcycle commuting has mutated to cope with obscenely high traffic levels. This perversion is known as lane splitting, which is legal in California thanks to CHP motorcops. Although developed from necessity and the desire to travel faster than 15 miles per hour on a four-lane highway, a few have developed the form into an art. Among the brave (or insane, depending on your view) are the couriers, thrillseekers, and motorcycling commuters of the world that split lanes on a regular basis. In order to survive, they have honed their bodies, minds and machines to razor's edge sharpness, but mostly they're just nuts.

BC I'll see your broom handle and raise you 10 #4 ball bearings.

Lane splitters on one wheel are the best to watch.

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 6 years, 10 months ago

Incidentally - and this ought to annoy the purists - they do make motorcycles with automatic transmissions, you know.

I know that Honda made one in the 1980s called the "Hondamatic", but I'm not aware of any automatic transmission motorcycles that are currently in production.

Crossfire 6 years, 10 months ago

Places to go on Lane splitting vacations, * Austria * Brasil * Estonia * France * Greece * Italy * Netherlands * Norway * Portugal * South Africa * United Kingdom * United States - only in California

Crossfire 6 years, 10 months ago

Auto-trannys now motorcyclist can join the other mindless cellphone-texting motorists on their trip to nowhere.

Kam_Fong_as_Chin_Ho 6 years, 10 months ago

Dots, Thanks for the links. Never heard of Ridley motorcycles before. Looks interesting.

Crossfire 6 years, 10 months ago

Blue tooth phone, radio controls on the handle bars, then you can sip that Starbuck's Creamy Double Carmel half/caff Latte, while you politely wait out the traffic jam on 23rd Street.

badger 6 years, 10 months ago

Don't be the guy that passed me on the way home the other day, riding a hilly highway with a lot of blind curves in flip-flops, shorts, and a tank top. At that point, don't even bother with a helmet, because if you meet pavement the skin loss will make you wish you had brain damage anyway.

Long pants. Long sleeves. Leather or kevlar if you can stand the heat. Sturdy shoes with solid heels. Gloves and a helmet with a faceplate, or open helmet with sunglasses. A bug in your eye at sixty miles an hour can make you get dead.

If you get in an accident and find yourself lying down, count to thirty before you try to get up. You may be in shock and not realize you're still sliding; people break arms and legs that way (that was my SO's mom's advice when I said I was considering a bike; she rode for years in the 60s and 70s).

Never buy a bike you can't pick up if you tip it. Nothing is more embarrassing than having to ask for help picking up your bike, especially if you've been in a bar with a lot of other riders letting your mouth run. One of my brothers says the funniest experience he had at the roadhouse where he liked to stop was when some duded-up yuppie came in, talking all big and swaggering around, then tipped his bike on a downslope in the parking lot and had to ask for help getting back upright.

gogoplata 6 years, 10 months ago

Don't drive crotch rockets. They are for little girly men or high school boys

How exactly does riding a "real" bike make a guy tougher, or a more manly man?

gogoplata 6 years, 10 months ago

Ride it like you stole it!

This is my favorite so far.

Crispian Paul 6 years, 10 months ago

Leather or other sturdy fabric. Hard soled shoes. Don't cut in between cars or cut in front of. And please, for thelove of Pete, wear a helmet.

salad 6 years, 10 months ago

"Don't drive crotch rockets. They are for little girly men or high school boys

How exactly does riding a "real" bike make a guy tougher, or a more manly man?"

......what??? Seriously, what's your point? This posting makes no sense.

PS: nobody calls em "crotch rockets" anymore, you mean, "Sport bike".

OnlyTheOne 6 years, 10 months ago

Commonly heard at auto vs motorcycle accidents, "I didn't see him officer, besides he was going too fast."

fearthis 6 years, 10 months ago

Get too close to me and you'll get "the hammer". I am an offensive rider and I hate cage drivers cause they want to kill me. When I get my carry permit you will be able to recognize me by the 9mm hanging on my side. You try to kill me....... better have a fast car.