Previous   Next

Would you say that you live paycheck to paycheck?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 20, 2007

Browse the archives

“Yes. My money is pretty much always gone by the time I get my next paycheck.”

“Not exactly paycheck to paycheck. Most of the time there is a little left over for me to save.”

“I would absolutely say that I live paycheck to paycheck. Doesn’t everybody?”

“Yeah, definitely. Anything I have left over I make sure to spend it fast.”

Comments

H_Lecter 7 years, 2 months ago

victim to victim thrill to thrill memory to memory It's about the excitement in life

Godot 7 years, 2 months ago

I don't know that many store owners who actually take a paycheck, Sean, so good for you if you can do it.

compmd 7 years, 2 months ago

I can't even begin to put into words how depressing this is.

"Doesn't everybody" live paycheck to paycheck? Good grief. Some people do, especially in Lawrence, where so many people are below the poverty line. But a lot of people are also foolish with their spending. Next time you see someone (especially in Lawrence) with a huge HDTV, ask them if they have health insurance or can afford an ER visit.

"Anything I have left over I make sure to spend it fast." What?! You can't use research budget expenditure methods for personal finances. If this is what you are doing, I encourage you to open a Roth IRA and take that money you otherwise would have uselessly spent and invest it. 40 years from now you'll thank me.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 2 months ago

Shadowy figures called "bundlers" take care of my financial needs.

Sigmund 7 years, 2 months ago

I live paycheck to paycheck but have enough money in checking and savings that f my boss really pisses me off I can quit my job, pay my mortgage and bills for a year, and get a better one. It's called my FU fund.

denak 7 years, 2 months ago

All of these people look really, really young so I suppose, at their age, they can be forgiven for blowing way to much money. Lord knows I did. However, that all changes when one has children and needs to provide for them. Then it gets scary to live paycheck to paycheck which is, unfortunately, a way of life for A LOT of people. And it has nothing to do with blowing it on things one does not need. Rent or a motgage, insurance, retirement, clothes, food, gas, utilities, incidentals that pop up constantly, all of that eat through a paycheck very quickly. Forget things like eating out and going to the movies.

I read an article online a few days ago about what qualifies someone as "middle class" in this country and why there is such a middle class crunch. Why people making 80,000 dollars a year aren't making it.

Personally, I don't know if I would qualify a family that makes 80,000 a year as middle class but it makes one wonder if a family, with two working parents who bring home 80,000 a year, isn't making it, what chance does a family that is only making 40,000 - 50,000.

Dena

mom_of_three 7 years, 2 months ago

I used to be one of those living from paycheck to paycheck, with three kids in daycare. Even in much better times now, I don't have as much saved as I should. But I am working on it.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 2 months ago

"It's called my FU fund."

Sigmund, you appeared to stammer, there.

LHS76 7 years, 2 months ago

I spend my money on fast cars, booze, and women. The rest I just piss away...

GretchenJP 7 years, 2 months ago

I used to live paycheck to paycheck. Oh hell, I couldn't even MAKE it to the next paycheck. For me, life used to be spent not wondering what's for dinner but if I'm going to be able to eat. Now that I found an awesome job and the pay is good I can truly appreciate it. Nope, not living paycheck to paycheck anymore. Now I actually still have money left in the bank when payday rolls around again. It's wonderful. gloat Can I take anyone out to dinner?