Previous   Next

Do you think Lawrencians are overly concerned about environmental issues?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 19, 2007

Browse the archives

“I do see a lot more environmentalism here than you might see in other cities I’ve lived in, but I don’t think you can ever be too concerned about the environment.”

“Way overly concerned. This is such an environmentally conscious town compared to where I moved from.”

“When you put everything like the South Lawrence Trafficway and the coal plants together, they do seem overly concerned. I think they see things a little too much in black and white.”

“I think the average Lawrencian may be a little more concerned than others around the Midwest, but I think that’s a good thing.”

Comments

deskboy04 7 years, 2 months ago

I think that everyone should turn off their electricity one night a week to show how much in favor we all are for reducing coal consumption!

jonas 7 years, 2 months ago

I think the average Lawrencian is probably about just right. We do have a small but very vocal minority who I would classify as overly concerned. I think it might be accurate to say that some other people in the midwest, and some in Lawrence, going by the commentaries here, at any rate, are under-concerned.

canyon_wren 7 years, 2 months ago

I would agree with Jonas. Though I don't live in Lawrence, I have family near there and read the LJW daily, and it seems to me that Lawrence is about right. I applaud the decision to NOT build the coal plants in western Kansas and know that there are places all over our country where the residents WISH they had that choice to make all over again--they would have made the choice Kansas made. That is something you can't undo, once it is done. I think one of the most serious repercussions is the further drawing down of the water table out in W. Kansas--that whole situation is so scary.

preebo 7 years, 2 months ago

Overly concerned? I would suggest adequately concerned.

I applaud Secretary Bremby on his decision, but I am also aware that this decision is not final. Time will tell. However, a good move for Kansas.

Jerry Stubbs 7 years, 2 months ago

After all, people in Lawrence are probably much better educated than average.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 2 months ago

We should renounce the tools of the White Devils.

jonas 7 years, 2 months ago

Dammit RI: I spent about half a minute trying to make sense of that before I realized I was supposed to read from left to right and not some form of top down! Can't you try to think more like you'd think that I'd think!?

webmocker 7 years, 2 months ago

Reticent Irreverent: Excellent use of typography to enhance content.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 2 months ago

I nominate R_I's magical bell curve as a finalist for Best Post Ever.

Ceallach 7 years, 2 months ago

I agree with Rick Pratte, being concerned is a good thing. Too bad our city doesn't see recycling, on a city-wide scale, as a "need." Recycling takes very little time. If it were made available I think more people would try it.

BigDog 7 years, 2 months ago

People of Lawrence don't seem too concerned about what their old technology coal fired plant is doing to the environment or the impact it has on those in Kansas City and elsewhere downwind.

Ceallach 7 years, 2 months ago

RI, I guess you know that your excellent work just caused endless grief to those of us who were hoping the curve would swing in favor of our average/less than average posts . . . thanks alot!!

Ceallach 7 years, 2 months ago

BigDog, that may be due to the fact that many people in Lawrence do not think their wind stinks :P

scott3460 7 years, 2 months ago

"Start digging your moats now because more refugees will be coming to Lawrence. They are called Hippies."

Actually, they have been invading for the last 30 years and they ain't hippies. They are hordes of mindlessly conformist, right wing, suburbanite lovers of WalmcDonaldBuyMarts who commute daily to Kansas City or Topuka & fill the landscape as far as the eye can see with their stupid cookie-cutter houses, fat, obnoxious and ill-mannered children, poison-green "lawns," strip malls full of cash checking stores & pawn shops. They slap yellow ribbons on their SUV's because they "support the troops," yet turn a blind eye and do nothing while thousands of the troops die for their ruler's mistakes. They insist that "trafficways" be built so that their scurrying from one stretch of commercial wasteland to another is not delayed by the sickening mass of congestion, pollution, overcrowding and general cluster-f that they bring with them as they invade. In short, they occupy the role of pigeons in our species - a bland, generic generally worthless creature that ruins every area that it invades for anything other than occupation by more of the same hideous creatures. If the hippies are planning on ivading, I wish they'd hurry up, we could use them.

Lifelong_Lawrencian 7 years, 2 months ago

Lawrence will take a major part of the blame for the decision to deny the coal plant permit, with Bremby being a former assistant city manager and our commission's formal disapproval. This does tend to make us look a bit hypocritical with our own coal-fired power plant in our backyard.

Lawrence should consider a proposal to restrict Lawrence energy center from expanding its output past their current 550 MW. Or perhaps we should look into measures to reduce its polution and CO2 output. Perhaps the commission should consider an ordinance to encourage the use of CFLs and encourage recycling. If we are going to be the environmental voice of Kansas, maybe its time to practice what we preach.

ms_canada 7 years, 2 months ago

What I think is that you can never be too thin, too rich or too concerned about our environment. Ceallach, did I not meet Rick Pratte when I was in Lawrence. Rhetorical question.

preebo 7 years, 2 months ago

I suspect the the lack of concern of environmental issues throughout the rest of Kansas tend to even it out.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 2 months ago

RETICENT... A Christmas tree before Halloween? Really.

Ceallach 7 years, 2 months ago

Where are Gootsie, trinity, acg, etc., etc., etc.? Do I have to do everything myself?

FRIday, FriDAY, FRidAY!!!

sgtwolverine 7 years, 2 months ago

Ceal, I am having trouble figuring out how to pronounce FRidAY. The first two are easy, but that one looks like a challenge.

Ceallach 7 years, 2 months ago

sgt, it's like fried eggs with no ggs (pronunciation . . guhs). FRidAYs can be a challenge, but I'm sure you can meet that challenge, because if you remember, it's "I Don't Care Friday!!!!!" Have a good one :)

Magpie 7 years, 2 months ago

What a poorly worded and leading question. Bah humbug.