Previous   Next

Do you think the possibility of having a lawsuit brought against them deters students from downloading music?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 17, 2007

Browse the archives

“I don’t think it does. I don’t think they are very responsible about it. They think it doesn’t apply to them and that they won’t get in trouble.”

“Yeah, if they live on campus. I remember living in the dorms and we couldn’t download anything without getting into trouble. But people just coming here haven’t heard about it and people who live off campus don’t have to worry as much.”

“I don’t think people pay attention to it. I had a roommate that got caught last year, and I still know so many people who still do it.”

“No, not in general. I think people just think that the Internet is the Internet. They’re not really thinking about where it’s coming from.”

Comments

jonas 7 years, 5 months ago

I second O-Bob seconding Charlie Hoogner. I think most students just think of the Internet as a big dump truck, rather than the large series of tubes that it is.

H_Lecter 7 years, 5 months ago

Illegal downloading? Not at my house. Now, my neighbor with the unsecured wireless router sure does a lot though.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 5 months ago

Make them listen to Snooky Lanson's Greatest Hits.

Grundoon Luna 7 years, 5 months ago

Not much deters college kids.

Don't know who Snooky Larson is - maybe I should go to Limewire and download some - but making them listen to Barry Manilow would be a fitting punishment as well. But then they'd be able to go tit-for-tat on lawsuits and file one due to cruel and unusual punishment.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 5 months ago

Probably not. There seems to be a general attitude now that if it's on the internet, it's okay not to pay for it; I get a little bit of that with my pictures, too. But that's just the way the online world is.

jonas 7 years, 5 months ago

Azure: I stand by my opinion that there would be no torture greater than a Kidz Bop marathon.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 5 months ago

A-A, Snooky was one of the hosts on Your Hit Parade.

Ceallach 7 years, 5 months ago

Maybe not if they live off-campus. . but if they use ResNet the university's disconnection policy will no doubt get their attention and provide a sizable deterrence.

labmonkey 7 years, 5 months ago

Doesn't Andrea look just like Jodie Sweetin?

labmonkey 7 years, 5 months ago

If the record companies would release something worth listening to, people might consider buying music....

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 5 months ago

Do you think the length of this headline might deter students from reading the article, instead sending them off to the Internet to download music?

erod0723 7 years, 5 months ago

It will deter the kids in which the lawsuits are brought, but I highly doubt that the lawsuits will have any lasting effect on illegal downloading in general. The RIAA needs to get with the times and get rid of DRM on music and stop targeting the end users. The RIAA is just one example of why this country seems to be on the fastrack to hell.