Previous   Next

Where do you learn most of your historical information?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 14, 2007

Browse the archives

“I would probably say the History Channel. I’m primarily interested in early U.S. history, but they have a variety of programs that I think are pretty good.”

“I’d have to say the Internet. I usually look stuff up because of something that happens in everyday life that makes me want to learn more about it.”

“The Internet. I just search for whatever I’m interested in, which is particularly biblical history.”

“Probably from the History or Discovery channels. I like shows about historical architecture and anything about how other cultures live. There are other people out there besides us.”

Comments

jonas 7 years, 2 months ago

I make most of it up. I've found that it's the quickest and simplest way to make the past fit into my personal agendas.

H_Lecter 7 years, 2 months ago

Through the speeches of Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 2 months ago

The former Iraqi Minister of Information.

classclown 7 years, 2 months ago

Old people and their "Back in my day" stories.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 2 months ago

In these forums, but, granted, I tend to skip over the lengthier posts.

beatrice 7 years, 2 months ago

I prefer my information to be fresh and up-to-date. If I wanted historical information, I guess I would look at old newspapers.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 2 months ago

camper says: "From the wind"

No, my friend, it's "the answer" that's blowin' in the wind.

labmonkey 7 years, 2 months ago

History Channel and Discovery channel....how sad. Read a biography instead of Harry Potter. People's lives can be much more interesting and stranger than fiction.

pace 7 years, 2 months ago

I like to read, but for dates and keeping sequential events straight I either ask my dear husband or my brother. My daughter once accused us of keeping the Spanish Civil War from her. She said, "why didn't I know about that" we told her we were waiting till she was older.

ms_canada 7 years, 2 months ago

Historical information? well, I just read countless books and watch history channel. I just love learning about the past. I try to imagine what life was like for people in past times.

Cait McKnelly 7 years, 2 months ago

I have been into history for as long as I can remember. One of the first books I ever read was a juvenile biography of Grace O'Malley (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grace_O'Malley). I think I was hooked from then on. Thing is I love it all; American history, Asian History, Western Civ. I was the kid who shot the curve in high school and college. People hated me. At one point when I was in college I had a part time job as a professional researcher for a professor who was writing a book about the Lakota Rebellion in the early 1850's. The sad part was that to make any money at it I would have had to stay in college for the rest of my life and I didn't have the luxury of being a professional student. Even getting a PhD was no guarantee. One of my friends that had his doctorate used to say that his degree and a 1.25 would get him a cup of coffee.

Kathy Getto 7 years, 2 months ago

Reading, History Channel, and of course, my hubby, who is replete with interesting historical information to share.

hottruckinmama 7 years, 2 months ago

mainly i learned and still learn from my mom and other elderly relatives who are still alive. my grandparents have all been gone for sometime now but i will never forget their stories of the great depression and the dust bowl days. stories about my widowed grandma raising the last 4 of her 8 kids after her husband died. you remember things like that when you get older and times get hard. and then you think to yourself-if they got thru tough times so can i. kids who don't have grandparents who share stories like that miss out on an awful lot i think.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 2 months ago

"Where do I get most of my hysterical information?"

[ scroll up ]