Previous   Next

What are you doing to save the planet?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 8, 2007

Browse the archives

“My roommates and I recycle everything we can, and I walk everywhere and encourage others to do the same.”

“I recycle and try to stay informed about the effect we are having on the world so I can adjust my lifestyle accordingly.”

“I got rid of my car, and I only ride the Metra, take the L-train or walk. We compost our organic trash and recycle aluminum and glass.”

“I just try to limit my utility consumption as much as possible.”

Comments

jumpin_catfish 7 years, 2 months ago

These folks are so nice, I wish I was nice like them! Oh well, better fire up the old gas hog buick and get to work.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 2 months ago

I sell myself thousands of carbon credits that I print on parchment made from the skins of the endangered Whooping Chihauhau.

jonas 7 years, 2 months ago

I think the planets pretty safe, to tell you the truth. If you mean, What am I doing to protect the resources that allow our species to survive upon the planet, then I recycle, and don't drive very much.

Groberz 7 years, 2 months ago

@BigPrune

Actually we Europeans do have to have Catalytic converters! Typical Republican hard-done-by-ness exhibited in your post.

Crossfire 7 years, 2 months ago

It was midnight on the sea, the band was playin' "Nearer My God To Thee" Fare thee well Titanic, fare thee well. Now he wouldn't let Jack Johnson on board they said this ship don't haul no coal Fare thee well Titanic, fare thee well.

The boat went down. We as a species may go too. ...but the planet will still be here.

lawrenceofkansas 7 years, 2 months ago

Save the planet? Do we have that much power to destroy it? What's next, universe?

conservativepunker 7 years, 2 months ago

Trying to keep The Dragon Lady out of the White House.

Kat Christian 7 years, 2 months ago

Mmmmmm are we really doing this for ourselves or is there really a government conspiracy going on here? Let the poor be deprived of transportation, make them work even harder by doing their own trash and make them pay more for light bulbs while the rich get driven around, pay someone to recycle their trash and can afford the expensive "so-called" energy efficient light bulbs (but are they really?) Nope just don't buy all the propaganda. Give me more substantial proof that this is a real threat.

coastiej 7 years, 2 months ago

I spray my deodarant staight into the sky, throw styrofoam McDonald's containers out of my Ford Bronco with no emissions controls, and leave the lights on at my house.

geekin_topekan 7 years, 2 months ago

I promote armageddon.Human beings aren't intellegent enough to live here without destroying their environment or to even take care of themselves or each other.What's the point? That inbound comet can't get here fast enough if you ask me.The spectacular entry would be an honor to witness.If you believe in God. If you believe in George Carlin,"The planet isn't going anywhere..WE ARE"!

BigPrune 7 years, 2 months ago

Taking off your catalytic converter on your car allows a 30% increase in gas mileage. It's a European trick since their cars don't have catalytic converters. Kyoto is for us, the United States only.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 2 months ago

I'm just trying to not picture RI in tights and a cape...

preebo 7 years, 2 months ago

Well we compost, recycle, CFL bulbs, and I work from a home office but by next Spring we will be taking the next step by installing solar panels on the roof and we will finally be free from Westar and non-renewable energy...

average 7 years, 2 months ago

sunshine_noise:

In case you are wondering about the efficiency of CF bulbs, you can test one with a simple amp-meter. I know, it reeks of 'liberal science' and even a little math. But, they really do save electricity and money. That is unless the amp-meter people are in on the conspiracy.

My biggest energy savings come from: 1) Only air-conditioning one room, when necessary. 2) Clotheslines.

ms_canada 7 years, 2 months ago

We have a huge recycle program in our city and we make good use of it. I also try to consolidate my car trips and don't drive across the city for one stupid little shopping trip. Stay close to home. We have some people here in Alberta who have been following a 100 mile rule for several months now. They buy nothing that is produced more than 100 miles from their home. I heard them on radio the other day explaining all that they do. It is possible, they say. Only local grown veg and meat. No mangos from Mexico or oranges from Peru. They can even buy wine made from locally grown berries. Interesting experiment, I thought. Good on them. I thought I would like to try it. But what can I eat to replace my daily morning orange? Vitamin C tablets? Afew years back I heard a trucker being interviewed. He hauled a load of Alberta potatoes to southern Calif. and guess what he brought back? Yup. Calif. potatoes. All that gas used was ridiculous.

acg 7 years, 2 months ago

Well I think it's pretty arrogant to assume we're going to destroy the planet. I've always felt that when the planet has had enough of us, it'll destroy us instead. However, I do recycle at work and recycle cans at home, use the special freaky looking bulbs and conserve electricity as much as possible. We use burn barrels for a lot of our burnable trash, too. I probably don't do enough, in the grand scheme of things. But at least it's something.

blessed3x 7 years, 2 months ago

I only fly private chartered jets and ride in big SUV's with my entourage. I downsized to a 30,000 square foot home and light my driveway only with energy saving gas lights....

ohhhh wait....I was channeling Algore again wasn't I? Sorry.

Crossfire 7 years, 2 months ago

Saving the planet might be a futile as talking to an iceberg. "I'M GONNA MOVE YOU BABY!"

I don't make rope no more (too) ;-}`

Flap Doodle 7 years, 2 months ago

I saw an endangered herbivore that was about to eat an endangered plant. I pointed this out to an endangered carnivore. Let nature take its course.

Crispian Paul 7 years, 2 months ago

The planet will be fine. However, we (humans)--maybe not so much. We don't tend to do well in arctic conditions, massive flooding etc.

I recycle everything I can. I shut off as many lights as I can. I walk in Lawrence. I drive a Honda and frankly will not ever, if I can afford to, drive an American car, specifically ones that don't get at least 30 miles to the gallon. In Japan, the minimum mpg standard is 50 mpg! Unfortunately, I commute and cannot car pool as having a car is necessary to my job.

Crispian Paul 7 years, 2 months ago

Sunshine, The CFL lightbulbs of which you speak (compact fluorescent lightbulbs) are proven to emit light that is not in the form of heat like normal incandenscent bulbs. The energy savings are about 60%. Using less energy not only postively affects your pocket book, but also means you are burning less emisions to create light....i.e. they are effective and do work.

Crispian Paul 7 years, 2 months ago

Marion, solar panels store energy too, so whether or not it is overcast, they will work.

Crispian Paul 7 years, 2 months ago

Oh, excuse me. The panels themselves don't store the energy, but the supporting technology that goes with converting the energy stores wattage. If one is investing in one, they would most assuredly invest in the other. Expense? I'm not talking expense. Were I to have unlimited resources, I would most certainly do more of these things like build my own home, evergy efficient, of course.

preebo 7 years, 2 months ago

Marion,

I sure will... just because you haven't spent the time or the committment to plan for this type of energy independence that doesn't mean the rest of us can't.

Already have the permits. As for all the equipment (Grid-Tie PV System), I have already order it (HelioPower) and will be up and running in March or so. And because I have purchased the equipment before December 31st, we were able to receive tax relief from the government. After it is all said and done it will have cost us $12,000 dollars (being that I am doing most if not all of the work).

Crispian Paul 7 years, 2 months ago

Marion, agreed, the cost is prohibitive for most people. Same with hybrid cars, hydrogen fuel cells, etc. As time goes on, though, these things will become easier for the average person to afford. Remember when CD players first came out and they were like $1000?! Now you can get a CD boombox for $20....

BigPrune 7 years, 2 months ago

If vegetarians are trying to save the planet by not eating meat then how do they explain their 10 fold increase of methane emmissions?

labmonkey 7 years, 2 months ago

I stay out of the traffic clusterf**k that is Lawrence as much as possible.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years, 2 months ago

I recycle and try and have as little impact on the earth as I can, but not to save the planet. It will continue on with or without humans. We will need to change our ways to survive. There isn't going to be some bright, shiney space ship to take us to another planet when we make this one unliveable. And even if there were, do you honestly think we would be chosen to go? Feeling a little self important?

Marion, The model T would have been beyond the means of the normal person, but Henry Ford made it affordable. Too bad you weren't advising him, we might not have cars to deal with now, because he would have just given up. I thought you were a capitalist? The person who invests and develops a replacement fuel for oil, and makes solar and wind power affordable will make some money, except the big companies who are making money the old energy way have the money to stop them. Marion either works for them, or thinks he'll discover oil someday.

terrapin2 7 years, 2 months ago

We do a lot of the usual things like recycling everything we can in Lawrence, compact fluorescent light bulbs, using less water/electricity, taking the bus, trying to buy local as much as possible, composting, buying things with less packaging etc.., but the thing we started doing most recently is using flushable diapers for our baby. Disposable diapers are the third largest contributor to landfills behind paper and food containers. 50 million disposable diapers go into the landfills on a daily basis and it takes 500 years for one diaper to be degraded. The diapers are called gdiapers and can be found at the Merc and on the internet. The inner core is flushed and puts human waste where it should go. Best thing is no stinky diaper pale!!!

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 2 months ago

Actually, this summer, I found that I couldn't even save my lawn.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 2 months ago

Well, my jammies weren't red, until the aliens showed up with that probe. (And they're the ones who scorched the lawn in the first place!)

I realize a miracle is due I dedicate this melody to you But is this the stuff dreams are made of? If this is the stuff dreams are made of No wonder I feel like I'm floating on air Everywhere It feels like I'm everywhere

compmd 7 years, 2 months ago

I think the best way to "save the planet" would just be to eliminate humanity. I'm surprised that one of the misanthropes here didn't come up with that sooner.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 2 months ago

You win the door prize, so you get to go first!

(It's the first door on the right, beneath the EXIT sign.)

GretchenJP 7 years, 2 months ago

bop bop bop bop bop bop bop bop This is planet earth.

tangential_reasoners_anonymous 7 years, 2 months ago

Marion says: "I took about three pounds of dirt and put it in a safety deposit box."

You know, you could get a better return, by properly investing your deposit.

Turn that dirt into pay dirt!

gogoplata 7 years, 2 months ago

I drive trucks, break arms, and arm wrestle. Its what I love to do, its what I do best.

BigPrune 7 years, 2 months ago

@ Groberz

This explains why Europeans have American made diesel engined cars and we do not.