Previous   Next

Do you think you would make a good Big Brother or Big Sister?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 2, 2007

Browse the archives

“Yes. I have six brothers and sisters and I’m an education major, so I love kids.”

“Sure. I’m a dependable person, and I’ve had experience working with kids through coaching sports and taking care of my little sister.”

“No, because I’m busy all the time and I swear a lot.”

“If I had the time, I think so. I have a little brother and sister, and nieces and nephews that I take care of sometimes. So I think I could do it.”

Comments

True_To_KU 6 years, 6 months ago

I have never had a younger brother or sister, but I'm going to safely guess that I would be BAD! I require too much attention myself, and I don't think I could stand that kind of stress. Suprisingly I ended up being a pretty good mom Ha!

420 6 years, 6 months ago

Sounds like fun.....I'll try anything once!

GretchenJP 6 years, 6 months ago

No, I don't think I would. Children make me nervous. I'd be thinking too hard and analyzing everything I did. They wouldn't have much fun with me.

Marion Lynn 6 years, 6 months ago

Yes, prospector, a good time was had by all and in the cleanup we found enough partial bottles to repeat the festivities tonight!

There is plenty of leftover pizza in the fridge and enough Doritos, salted peanuts, chips and cheese sauce to keep everyone happy; so much in fact, that there will be a few more folks over to join the fun!

I also found the rest of the pizza cupons under the pinball machine!

We've got a bunch of old monster movies on DVD and will start with "The Giant Gila Monster" and then move into the Frankenstein and Creature series.

By the time we get to "The Creature Walks Among Us" we should be well on the way!

prospector 6 years, 6 months ago

I would and should make time to do it. I like the outdoors, rocks, fossils, and sciences, especially that fermentation thing, oh bleep, I guess the little brothers program does not continue for 21 YO's. I will get back on this.

Hey campers, some classic Marion at 12:58 AM on the homosexual rights thread.

Marion Lynn

Marion (Marion Lynn) says:

Stagle raltionshipts are good for society and is it a cryin Go++++n shame that folks won't recognise that "same sex" deals can work and be valuable to the society.

Sorry, birthday celebration anad I am loaded to the gils and there is no one to take away my computer as the grils are having a blast watching me attempt to destroy the internt!

Did the "grils" get you some good biosolids for the occasion? Is Rent-a-Contortionist in the yellow pages?

Don't singe your eyebrows with allllll those candles. Oh right, you breathe through "gils"

Well, have a good one there Marion and keep destroying the "internt". What a swell present you are for us.

Thanks

juscin3 6 years, 6 months ago

Well, middle, I have ya beat. :)~ (not that it's a contest or anything of the sort) My sister and I are 18 yrs apart. (dad got remarried) I enjoyed being a big sister to her. We done the shopping thing and all that good stuff. We both have kids that are 11 yrs apart.

I would be scared to even think about having H_L for a big brother for my kids...makes mental note: make sure he isn't my kidlets big brother :)~

Pywacket 6 years, 6 months ago

middlechild~ 16 years! Wow--you have our family beat for most space between sibs. I am 14 years older than my youngest sister and she hates me because she thinks I am smarter, prettier, wilder, and she could never fill my bras! Bwahahaha Oh--shoes. I meant shoes, of course. And that other stuff is just The Pancake Kid's crazy perceptions.

Hey--can I apply to be a little sister? I never had an older sister and it would be nice to have someone spoil me and give me money for candy.

themiddlechild 6 years, 6 months ago

No, I am 16 years older than my little brother and he hates me because I was more of a mom than sister to him.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 6 months ago

Holy Sweet Hog's Ass! An inmate sighting!

Foofabs 6 years, 6 months ago

Vote Ron Paul for President!

inmate 6 years, 6 months ago

Too bad they have those pesky background checks....How did you pass anyway H_L?

sgtwolverine 6 years, 6 months ago

I would make a fantastic Big Brother. Spying on people all day, wiretapping, intercepting cell phone calls and emails, bugging houses, following people ... I'd be great at it.

Oh, wait. That's not what they meant, is it.

waydownsouth 6 years, 6 months ago

WOW you guys are on a roll today I'm laughing so hard my side is hurting. What a way to start a day.

Ceallach 6 years, 6 months ago

"All the forced babysitting of younger sibs: dragging them along when I was with my friends: grrr"

Py, mine was the era of drive-in theatres. My father had no problem with me going on a date to the drive-in . . . as long as I was accompanied by one older or 2 younger sibs. Needless to say, they made a lot of trips to the concession stand ;)

trinity 6 years, 6 months ago

hah, glad to read i'm not the only grump here today. /:-x

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 6 months ago

"And I also swear a lot." - sailor mouth_sue

Ne'er have truer words been posted...

sunflower_sue 6 years, 6 months ago

Nope. I have no experience w/ younger siblings. And I also swear a lot.

Pywacket 6 years, 6 months ago

Haha, Ceal. I'm the oldest of five and I always thought that was what killed the idea of "adorable" children for me. All the forced babysitting of younger sibs... dragging them along when I was with my friends... grrr.. (My family was shocked when I produced a offspring, since I can barely tolerate those of others.)

But there you are with 7 younger sibs and still cheerful about the little snotnoses. So there goes my excuse. Guess I'm just a bitter hag. I don't mind nice, amusing, non-irritating, intelligent kids. But so few fit that profile. Come to think of it, very few adults fit that profile, either. I'm about this far (holding up thumb & forefinger) from retreating to a deserted island and becoming a hermit, I guess.

jonas 6 years, 6 months ago

I'd like to think I'd probably be pretty good. I'd have less of a casualty rate than O-Bob, or Lecter, at any rate.

Ceallach 6 years, 6 months ago

Don't hold back now, Py, let us know how you really feel :):)

Ceallach 6 years, 6 months ago

I'm the oldest of eight children and I was/am a wonderful Big Sister, whether they appreciate my loving guidance or not :):)

Pywacket 6 years, 6 months ago

I love Stephanie's reply! I'm in the same cussed boat.

And, to tell the truth, I'd rather be locked in a fetid cage with a swarm of rattlesnakes and rabid weasels than spend time with the average child.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 6 months ago

Hard to tell. I was such a bad older brother that my younger brothers got involved with the Big Brother organization. Some guy named Hannibal would come over and they'd go do stuff. He'd never bring them back. Big Brother is really a fantastic organization. Unfortuantely, my folks kept having boys. Hannibal took them all in. He should get an award.

blue73harley 6 years, 6 months ago

T_O_B - I think you are making the right choice. So how many past younger brothers did you have?

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 6 months ago

Probably not. My current younger brother didn't turn out so well.

acg 6 years, 6 months ago

Probably not. I also swear a lot.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 6 months ago

I can still make my little brother flinch first... Does that count?

blue73harley 6 years, 6 months ago

Somehow I knew that Mr. Lecter would be all over this one! Now we need to hear from inmate.

H_Lecter 6 years, 6 months ago

I already am. It's a great organization.