Previous   Next

How many states have you been to?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on October 1, 2007

Browse the archives

“I think there are only a few that I haven’t been to - just Maine, Vermont, New Hampshire and Rhode Island.”

“I’m going to say 20. It’s kind of sad when I think about it. It feels like I should have been to at least half of them by now.”

“Massachusetts, Connecticut, New York, New Jersey, Delaware, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, South Dakota, Nebraska, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, New Mexico, Idaho, Utah, Arizona, Nevada and California.”

“Twenty-four I think. Massachusetts and Colorado were the best.”

Comments

acg 7 years, 2 months ago

I'm only missing 2. Hawaii and Alaska.

jonas 7 years, 2 months ago

Probably about 30-35, but in the running theme, I spend most of my time in the state of Denial.

trinity 7 years, 2 months ago

oh, lemme see; one-oblivion. ;)

i need more coffee before i count 'em up.

GardenMomma 7 years, 2 months ago

"How many states have to been to?" Not sure about that one. But if you had asked "How many states have you been to?" I'd've been able to answer that.

salad 7 years, 2 months ago

Wait a minute....Bridges?!?! Seriously? ...your name is Bridges? Who names their kid "Bridges"?!?!

aeroscout17 7 years, 2 months ago

Only missing 4, sounds like about the same as Steve; maybe we need to make a road trip?

coolmom 7 years, 2 months ago

missing 2 just alaska and hawaii but have been to mexico, germany and england so maybe that makes up for it and brings me into the state of enlightenmet? lol.

ms_canada 7 years, 2 months ago

Let's see now - 4 Hawaiian Is. & Alaska: the 3 west coast states; 4 southern states(Ariz. LA, Miss. Flor) 6 north border states (not counting Wash as it has already been counted in west coast states) then the central states of Wyo., Neb. Kan. Missouri, Iowa, Ill. I think that adds up to 21 in all. I did not count New York because that only involved driving from one airport to another. Plus I have visited all 10 Can. provinces except New Brunswick. Also been to Yukon Terr. I do get around but really can't brag because I would bet that I am probably about the oldest poster on this board and have had more time to get around this old world. An interesting world it is.

salad 7 years, 2 months ago

"I would assume her parents gave her the name. Seems to be how most folks get their names nowadays. At least she isn't responsible for her name like you are for your moniker, Salid."

Huh?...is this some feeble attempt at a put down? I can't even figure out where you were trying to go with it. I mean, first there's the whole stating the incredibly obvious: parents give kids their names, which is precisely what "who names their kid "Bridges"?" means. Then there's the open ended dangling phrase about being responsible for your moniker....which it isn't. It's a screen name Richard!!! Perhaps you shouldn't bandy about words like "moniker"; stick to smaller words you can manage. And what could be better than "Salad"??? It's the most popular food of fat chicks everywhere! Salad completely rocks! Anyway....what was the question?

i_have_only_valid_opinions 7 years, 2 months ago

Who cares what "Bridges" name is! It could be anything and she still would be smokin' hot!

mom_of_three 7 years, 2 months ago

The past couple of years, I have visited several new states. My parents didn't travel much with us as kids. Texas, Oklahoma, Missouri, Arkansas, Iowa, Nebraska, South Dakota, Colorado, Wyoming, Minnesota (from this weekend), Tennessee and Mississippi (from this summer). I have been to Ilinois, I think, as a kid.
I hope to see the eastern states in the near future....

Xwards 7 years, 2 months ago

Average and I have a lot in common........I have them all except for Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Alaska, Hawaii, and of all places, South Carolina.

aeroscout17 7 years, 2 months ago

ms canada said, "An interesting world it is."

Truly it is. Well spoken by a world traveler. One can never understand their culture or country until you have traveled and lived in others; then there you have something to compare it to. I wholeheartedly encourage everyone to do it, and not just as a tourist.

lunacydetector 7 years, 2 months ago

38 plus the district of columbia. Then there are 4 provinces in Canada. The countries of: Mexico, U.K., France, Spain, Portugal, Switzerland, Austria, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Egypt, Israel, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, and Australia.

Ceallach 7 years, 2 months ago

Too bad Jonathan never made it to the Rio Grande Valley :)

USA 22 states and DC, Alberta in Canada (hello there ms_c), several states in Mexico, Spain, France, Italy, Switzerland. Guess that's about it.

ms_canada 7 years, 2 months ago

aeroscout - I, too, would encourage young people to think about doing some international travel, if possible, in their future. It really does give one a much improved appreciation of your own country. And as you said, not just as a tourist. My husband and I have been so blessed by our ventures into the back of beyond areas of several countries. I have a fair amount of Spanish so we were able to make our own way around such countries as Ecuador, Peru, Costa Rica, Mexico, Guatemala and Spain. Some memorable days were spent travelling by bus with the locals, including chickens and piglets, in Guatemala going to market towns deep in mountain territory. It is possible to travel in foreign language countries on your own if you use your head. I have found that to leave arrogance at home, take humility and gratitude with you will take you far. It is their country and most people are proud of their home country and will be so happy to show it off to you if you have the right attitude. We met a lawyer in Istanbul on a night club tour arranged by the hotel concierge. He offered to show us around his beloved city and we were so rewarded by a two day tour of the most interesting places that tourists never see. But an ounce of common sense in the mix goes a long way. When in doubt, leave it out.

Christopher Gentleman 7 years, 2 months ago

Let's see...been to all 50 states, 35 other countries, and various territories. So, all in all I have to say it's been a good trip!

sunflower_sue 7 years, 2 months ago

I think around 30, but I really can't remember all the places where I've switched planes.

Ms_C, are you trying to count Hawaii as 4? I like how you think. In that case, I get to add 5 onto my total. What about Michigan? It's split in two. Can we count it as 2 if we've been to both halves? ;o) Never been to Canada. :*(

adriennerm 7 years, 2 months ago

all but Hawaii and Alaska..... Can't afford Hawaii, I really want to. The plane tickets are $$$$$$$

Ceallach 7 years, 2 months ago

sun_sue, there is a great little bed and breakfast, lunch and dinner in Edmonton :)

xyz 7 years, 2 months ago

After I attend a meeting in SoDak next week, I will be down to about a half dozen states left to visit: NoDak, Hawaii, Alaska, and a few on the east coast.

The state of travel is my favorite state to be in!

sunflower_sue 7 years, 2 months ago

Ceal, that B&B,L&D is on my "to do before I die" list!

sgtwolverine 7 years, 2 months ago

Vermont, New Hampshire, Pennsylvania, Virginia, Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio, Indiana, Michigan, Indiana, Illinois, Wisconsin, Minnesota, South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado, Kansas, Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri.

So 24 states, I guess. I think I got them all. I didn't count states I might have simply driven through, just the states I have actually visited.

sgtwolverine 7 years, 2 months ago

Off-topic, but the news on this site caught my eye:

(I visited that site because my local newspaper is submitting one of my sports photos into one of their contests.)

sgtwolverine 7 years, 2 months ago

R_I, pretty much never. There was a greater chance of contact when his kids were in high school and playing sports (I did once get an email from him about my pictures); now that they're out, I he and I don't have too many chances to cross paths. He is still a big supporter of local high school athletics, but without kids in sports, I don't think I'm going to see him at a lot of events. And I think I've been to one production (well, maybe two; I can't remember) at his theater since it opened, so I probably won't be running into him there.

Why? Do you have a message you want me to give him?

dminear60 7 years, 2 months ago

xyz: I hope you get to travel to the Black Hills...the landscape is breathtaking.

GretchenJP 7 years, 2 months ago

Um, not many. I don't get out much... Kansas, obviously... Georgia (lived there for 7 years), California, Wisconsin, Minnesota, Missouri, Kentucky, Tenessee, Illinois. That would be 9.

ms_canada 7 years, 2 months ago

sunflower - I will have to send you a brochure for that great little B&B. And no I was not counting 4 states in Hawaii. Did I miscount? I could name them all off and count them. Busy right now, bottling some corn relish, turned out great, corn from my sons garden. I will serve it in the B&B. Stayed at a great B&B in Newfoundland and the lady had 14 different kinds of home made jam all from Nflnd. berries on the table for our breakfast toast. They have berries on that Island that nobody in the world ever heard of before.

GretchenJP 7 years, 2 months ago

Graham looks depressed. Maybe he travels too much.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 2 months ago

Do they never change the "asked on Mass street" line? Borders bookstore sure gets around a lot!

Ms_C, dang! I was hoping to count the outer banks of NC as several little states as well.

Sgt, according to the question guidelines, you can count all states in which your body has resided for even a second or two. (I consulted the judges on this.)

Flap Doodle 7 years, 2 months ago

Been to 49 states so far. I need to get over to Hawaii some time in the near future....

sgtwolverine 7 years, 2 months ago

Well, sue, in that case I guess I could add Maine and West Virginia to the list. Probably New York, too, and maybe another one or two of those microstates up in New England.

don_shorock 7 years, 2 months ago

Only 49. Haven't been to Hawaii. Waiting for them to finish building the bridge.