Previous   Next

Do you use the downtown parking garage?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 29, 2007

Browse the archives

“Yeah, sometimes. Usually when I’m going to the Bourgeois Pig and there’s not a spot out in front.”

“No, never have. I’ve just never had a need for it, but I don’t spend that much time downtown.”

“Yes, I do. I use it whenever I’m going to a show at the Granada. It’s as close as I can usually get and I’m pretty much guaranteed a spot.”

“Once in a while. If I’m going to the Jack Pot, Replay, India Palace or Pepper Jack’s.”

Comments

trollkiller 7 years ago

If there aren't any public restrooms avail..

Nikki May 7 years ago

It's Pepperjax and yeah, I park in the parking garage nearly every time I go down town. (Except when I'm driving a daycare bus, it doesn't fit well).

BigPrune 7 years ago

I use it only if I can't find a parking place close to where I want to go. I don't like to walk.

tir 7 years ago

No, and I don't use any of the parking spaces on the street downtown either. I walk to downtown instead of driving.

salad 7 years ago

Heather is a foundry worker??? Where is there an actual working foudry in Lawrence?

Ceallach 7 years ago

Yes, when I'm going to an event at the art center.

Flap Doodle 7 years ago

trollkiller has the golden fruitcake so far.

mom_of_three 7 years ago

Yes, quite often. If we are shopping in the 800-900 blocks of Mass, it is sometimes the closest parking there is. And at times when I went to the farmers market this summer.

imastinker 7 years ago

Salad - that was my thought. There's one in atchison and one in Topeka, but that little gal wouldn't fit in too well there.

stuckinthemiddle 7 years ago

Ad Astra Art Foundry is here in Lawrence...

thomgreen 7 years ago

Yep, two hours of free parking is always nice. Though, in the winter, I try to find a spot closer to where I'm going.

alm77 7 years ago

Always. Even when its cold and even when I'm going to Waxman Candles. Walking is good for you!!

stuckinthemiddle 7 years ago

as for parking in the parking garage downtown... I've used it plenty and for going some places it's option #1... there has been a ridiculous myth for years about a shortage of downtown parking... there never was a shortage and with the parking garage there is indeed an overabundance...

ms_canada 7 years ago

Yep - I can never find a parking spot on the street when I go uptown. If I could find one, I would not mind walking a few blocks except when it is 20* below 0 (celcius) as it was on Tuesday evening when I stepped off the plane from California. What a shock!! I had just spent 4 days on the beach of San Diego Bay in glorious sunshine. When I got into the airport, there was my dear man carrying my long winter coat, bless his heart.

akuna 7 years ago

I use the parking garage when I am headed to downtown in general or when I am headed to a place on the south end of downtown. When I am going to a specific place like Free State, Hobbs, or Liberty Hall, I park near there.

Maybe the parking garage needs a sign that tells drivers how many spots are available. A little education could go a long way to its use.

backyardwino 7 years ago

Maybe the City of Lawrence vehicles should be parked on the 4th level and open up more parking for the public on the 1st level. . . just a thought.

redmorgan 7 years ago

I have a few times. Parking can be difficult to find downtown, especially on the weekend or when there is some kind of event. There are always places to park if you don't mind walking a little. Fortunately, I live close enough to just walk to Mass St. from my house...saves a lot of trouble and is good exercise.

GretchenJP 7 years ago

Nope. Parking garages make me nervous.

badger 7 years ago

Not really.

There's a pay lot near the Gingerman that I use a lot, and another over by the Alamo Drafthouse. Most of the parking garages are more expensive. Though, I do use the parking garage at BookPeople and the one under the Whole Foods, if I'm going there. They're quite handy, especially in the summer when gets a little warm outside.

jumpin_catfish 7 years ago

All the time, just used it tonight, had a delicious Pepper Jack's sandwich with my lovely wife and strolled among the freaks. Fun was had by all!!!

Oh, anyone notice the sign at the northeast corner of the garage on New Hampshire "Speed Hump", which is OK with me but slow and is alright too.

purplesage 7 years ago

Once in a while, the free part.

sheshapes 7 years ago

Yes, when I go to the arts center or India Palace, or want to go somewhere in that general area.

sdinges 7 years ago

I used to use it when I went to the dentist across the street. Generally though, I don't. It creeps me out when I'm alone.

I never really have a problem finding other nearby parking within a block of Mass though. The only time it was a problem was when they were doing construction down there - that was nightmarish. Sometimes at lunchtime it can be rough, but not so bad that they need to build more parking or anything.