Previous   Next

Do you use the downtown parking garage?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 29, 2007

Browse the archives

“Yeah, sometimes. Usually when I’m going to the Bourgeois Pig and there’s not a spot out in front.”

“No, never have. I’ve just never had a need for it, but I don’t spend that much time downtown.”

“Yes, I do. I use it whenever I’m going to a show at the Granada. It’s as close as I can usually get and I’m pretty much guaranteed a spot.”

“Once in a while. If I’m going to the Jack Pot, Replay, India Palace or Pepper Jack’s.”

Comments

solsken66 6 years, 4 months ago

Only park in that city garage to go see my eye doctor who's office is located in that vicinity. The city should of really considered building the garage over by the library and swimming pool that generates alot of public attendance.

sdinges 6 years, 4 months ago

I used to use it when I went to the dentist across the street. Generally though, I don't. It creeps me out when I'm alone.

I never really have a problem finding other nearby parking within a block of Mass though. The only time it was a problem was when they were doing construction down there - that was nightmarish. Sometimes at lunchtime it can be rough, but not so bad that they need to build more parking or anything.

sheshapes 6 years, 4 months ago

Yes, when I go to the arts center or India Palace, or want to go somewhere in that general area.

purplesage 6 years, 4 months ago

Once in a while, the free part.

jumpin_catfish 6 years, 4 months ago

All the time, just used it tonight, had a delicious Pepper Jack's sandwich with my lovely wife and strolled among the freaks. Fun was had by all!!!

Oh, anyone notice the sign at the northeast corner of the garage on New Hampshire "Speed Hump", which is OK with me but slow and is alright too.

thebcman 6 years, 4 months ago

yeah .. it's very handy if you're going to Pepperjax or India Palace. ...mmm.. chicken tikka masala ... mmm...

badger 6 years, 4 months ago

Not really.

There's a pay lot near the Gingerman that I use a lot, and another over by the Alamo Drafthouse. Most of the parking garages are more expensive. Though, I do use the parking garage at BookPeople and the one under the Whole Foods, if I'm going there. They're quite handy, especially in the summer when gets a little warm outside.

Jonathan_Jason_McDaniels 6 years, 4 months ago

Gretch, they should!

I've seen my share of freaks and weirdos downtown! Drinking, peeing, puking.......I even saw a guy walk out of the men's room at Starbucks on Mass. St. with a Playboy in his hands (he had been in there with the door lock for quite a while)!

..........eeeeeewwwwww! Gross!

However, I was glad that I saw that! It reminded me of why I never use a public men's room to do a "sit down"!

GretchenJP 6 years, 4 months ago

Nope. Parking garages make me nervous.

redmorgan 6 years, 4 months ago

I have a few times. Parking can be difficult to find downtown, especially on the weekend or when there is some kind of event. There are always places to park if you don't mind walking a little. Fortunately, I live close enough to just walk to Mass St. from my house...saves a lot of trouble and is good exercise.

Mr_Ramirez 6 years, 4 months ago

wow, im surprised all these downtown slackers have vehicles..........impressive

backyardwino 6 years, 4 months ago

Maybe the City of Lawrence vehicles should be parked on the 4th level and open up more parking for the public on the 1st level. . . just a thought.

akuna 6 years, 4 months ago

I use the parking garage when I am headed to downtown in general or when I am headed to a place on the south end of downtown. When I am going to a specific place like Free State, Hobbs, or Liberty Hall, I park near there.

Maybe the parking garage needs a sign that tells drivers how many spots are available. A little education could go a long way to its use.

ms_canada 6 years, 4 months ago

Yep - I can never find a parking spot on the street when I go uptown. If I could find one, I would not mind walking a few blocks except when it is 20* below 0 (celcius) as it was on Tuesday evening when I stepped off the plane from California. What a shock!! I had just spent 4 days on the beach of San Diego Bay in glorious sunshine. When I got into the airport, there was my dear man carrying my long winter coat, bless his heart.

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 4 months ago

as for parking in the parking garage downtown... I've used it plenty and for going some places it's option #1... there has been a ridiculous myth for years about a shortage of downtown parking... there never was a shortage and with the parking garage there is indeed an overabundance...

alm77 6 years, 4 months ago

Always. Even when its cold and even when I'm going to Waxman Candles. Walking is good for you!!

thomgreen 6 years, 4 months ago

Yep, two hours of free parking is always nice. Though, in the winter, I try to find a spot closer to where I'm going.

stuckinthemiddle 6 years, 4 months ago

Ad Astra Art Foundry is here in Lawrence...

imastinker 6 years, 4 months ago

Salad - that was my thought. There's one in atchison and one in Topeka, but that little gal wouldn't fit in too well there.

Andini 6 years, 4 months ago

After a night of binge drinking at "The Pig" I use it quite frequently.

I haven't gotten a ticket yet for urinating in public....knock on wood.

mom_of_three 6 years, 4 months ago

Yes, quite often. If we are shopping in the 800-900 blocks of Mass, it is sometimes the closest parking there is. And at times when I went to the farmers market this summer.

prospector 6 years, 4 months ago

No, it is too far from the Brewery.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 4 months ago

trollkiller has the golden fruitcake so far.

Ceallach 6 years, 4 months ago

Yes, when I'm going to an event at the art center.

JJE007 6 years, 4 months ago

I use it about 1 or 2% of the time.

salad 6 years, 4 months ago

Heather is a foundry worker??? Where is there an actual working foudry in Lawrence?

tir 6 years, 4 months ago

No, and I don't use any of the parking spaces on the street downtown either. I walk to downtown instead of driving.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 4 months ago

I have never once needed to park in it. Call me a creature of habit, but I've always parked wherever available and walked where I needed to downtown. Perhaps one day I shall try this parking garage. I never even think about it.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 4 months ago

I was going to once... But the parking attendant was goofing off on duty,and was nowhere to be found.

Nikki May 6 years, 4 months ago

It's Pepperjax and yeah, I park in the parking garage nearly every time I go down town. (Except when I'm driving a daycare bus, it doesn't fit well).

BigPrune 6 years, 4 months ago

I use it only if I can't find a parking place close to where I want to go. I don't like to walk.

trollkiller 6 years, 4 months ago

If there aren't any public restrooms avail..