Previous   Next

What part of a triathlon do you think you would be best at?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 27, 2007

Browse the archives

“Probably running. It’s been awhile, but I used to be pretty good at long distance running.”

“Biking, if any. It’s the only one I like to do.”

“Probably running, because I’ve run since I was in high school and did pretty well in track.”

“Running. I’m a really weak swimmer and I run a lot more than I bike, so I would trust myself to do better at that.”

Comments

consumer1 6 years, 4 months ago

I am so happy to see this article still being discussed. Not because of any literary content, but rather the chance to see the beautiful face of Ashley Cassidy one more time. On the triathelon business. If there were a walk, ride (bike), and splash competition, I would be all over it !! and would be aggresive at it too !!

ChristmasCarol 6 years, 4 months ago

I would imagine that I have to always win everything I am in because I am so perfect I am always right and never could be wrong about anything I imagine I am an egocentricist and think I am the best at everything I do. I thought I might at least give being in shape a try seeing as how I enjoy it and all. I also thought it was better than sitting on the couch guzzling beer thinking that exercise was lifting a beer to my lips and living vicariously through people and images I see on TV as do something myself.

Watching football I might as well think I am Britney Spears on stage as well as think I am a great football player and such or maybe the latest Bond movie girl.

Oh I know people that exercise waste time doing so and you have every right to eat the way you do and get fat in front of the TV or computer but there is more to life than that and I sure enjoy not only being able to get to my apartment on the 5th floor and walking from home to work as well but I also enjoy canoeing down the Mississippi and seeing where Huck Finn and my favorite characters traveled, in addition I would enjoy snorkeling and seeing coral reef if I ever get there. So as far as team sports go also I have the true jocks to thank for only pushing me around and showing me what true male bonding and team spirit is all about because I am small and the selfish arrogant stuck up "techno wizards" to thank for thinking that I am not smart but I think it is smart to exercise and hold true self conviction to the principles I live by regardless of whether anyone else lives by them around me or not.

So sit on your pompous arse and make fun of me spending all that time running and swimming an cycling. I have spent plenty of time in the library reading and investigating plants and birds and other things as well. I think you are a little too smart for your britches. You could die of a heart attack with all the cholesterol built up in those veins from all those cheese burgers as soon as well and that sure is smart considering you could have had some oatmeal, an orange and walked a few miles a day at least.

coolmom 6 years, 4 months ago

i think i would be good at yelling moral support to the athletes and offering first aide to those who hurt themselves cleaning fish.

consumer1 6 years, 4 months ago

Jon Jason McDaniels you must be a very special person who is King of the world!! At least in your own weak mind! Pretty easy to make negative remarks when no one knows what you do for a living. I bet your a "know it all freshman" at KU. Ha haa hahahahahaaa don't worry some day you will grow up if you are lucky and actually have something of value to add to a conversation. Go play dodgeball till someone with Kahonies makes you cry!

consumer1 6 years, 4 months ago

Jon Jason McDaniels... Are you kidding?? What direction does your door swing??? Ashley is on fire !! and in the right way!! I question your knowledge of attractive women. Again, which direction does your door swing ????

Katara 6 years, 4 months ago

The part where I celebrate with whoever won it ;)

Bone777 6 years, 4 months ago

transitioning and drinking water

GretchenJP 6 years, 4 months ago

I'd be best at sitting on the bench sipping an ice cold beverage and watching all the triathlonists.

Jonathan_Jason_McDaniels 6 years, 4 months ago

Gee, Ashley's a cosmetology student?

....no kidding?

DotsLines 6 years, 4 months ago

jonas (Anonymous) says:

"And thinking it over, there is a circumstance I'd be good at a tri-athelon. All I need is a hungry bear chasing me, and hot dogs tied to my back. World record!"

An old joke:

Two hikers in the woods spot a bear, who seems to have caught their scent and is now heading for them. One hiker sits down, takes a pair of running shoes out of his pack, and starts unlacing his boots. The other guy looks at him and says "You don't think you can outrun the bear, do you?" The guy keeps changing his shoes and says "I don't have to outrun him - I just have to outrun you!"

Your method of winning the triathlon may not get you to first place, just as long as you aren't in last place! ;)

JJE007 6 years, 4 months ago

I can do one thing as well as almost everyone who's ever swam, run or biked in a triathalon. Lose the race.

Ceallach 6 years, 4 months ago

Py, alas you are probably right.

"Can you be a person of substance if you're not a person of size?" Yes indeed, just made up of different substances, resulting in different sizes :)

ChristmasCarol 6 years, 4 months ago

none of them because someone hit me with a car when I was riding my bike and now I am wheelchair bound. I sure am glad people have real hatred of the past and blame little old ladies like me.

Pywacket 6 years, 4 months ago

Ceal~ If I'd have warned you when you were young and invincible (as I warned my know-it-all teen daughter, who now ALREADY has bad knees), you'd never have listened... sigh...

Can you be a person of substance if you're not a person of size? This could get very philosophical.

jonas 6 years, 4 months ago

jonas 6 years, 4 months ago

Life is short, forgive truly, kiss uncontrollably, love slowly, laugh quickly, and never forget the things that make you smile.

Ceallach 6 years, 4 months ago

Thought for the day: Life is short, forgive quickly, kiss slowly, love truly, laugh uncontrollably, and never forget the things that make you smile.

consumer1 6 years, 4 months ago

Thanks Goots! I noticed you didn't I?? Even though you are a married wooman, you still gots what it takes!! Con1

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 4 months ago

T_O_B, "of", "to", "in", "for", and "on".... Isn't a preposition just a preposition?

antney 6 years, 4 months ago

My favorite part is the "try". I tried one when I was 25, at my prime, in great shape and it was a humbling experience. Talk about testing your body to its limits. The swim was the hardest for me and I was litterally the last person out of the water. The transition from bike to run was like running on jello legs. I will never forget the experience.

Gootsie 6 years, 4 months ago

C1, you crack me up. She would run past you and you'd collapse trying to catch up! ;) But you do still have a good eye for a pretty woman!

consumer1 6 years, 4 months ago

Ashlie, I run on west 6th street if you are interested in picking up running again.

geekin_topekan 6 years, 4 months ago

Don't want none of them Steroid smokin' freaks in my back yard.

consumer1 6 years, 4 months ago

I am thinking the events in a triathloon in Lawrence would consist of 1 Joint Rolling 2 Tree hugging 3 calling people who don't agree with you names.

But for me, rolling a person of size in flour has always been fun.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 4 months ago

What about person of substance?- Ceal I thought that was the PC term for a tweeker...

Gootsie 6 years, 4 months ago

Thanks TOB. Yes - POS would not be appropriate. I think I came close to bothering Average with it.

I'm just sayin'.

Ceallach 6 years, 4 months ago

What about person of substance?

I would be best suited to hand water to participants (other than swimmers). Ran for many years, loved it!! But then one of my knees went on the fritz (Py's fault for not warning me sooner:) and since two functional knees are soooo helpful when running, I had to slow down to a walk.

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 4 months ago

"Person of Size" Gootsie

Come on, Goots. That is not PC enough. You are bound to anger some ninny saying that. The correct PC nomenclature is Gravitationally Disadvantaged.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 4 months ago

I'm seeing a theme developing here.....

trinity 6 years, 4 months ago

the eating popcorn&junior mints part, as an observer.

average 6 years, 4 months ago

At meaningful speed, none of the above. However, I am a 'person of size' and have ridden several 'centuries' (100 miles on a bicycle in a day). Particularly on a recumbent bicycle, you just keep pedaling. Low joint impact, and the bike holds you up where you'd collapse from exhaustion on a run.

juscin3 6 years, 4 months ago

Gootsie, I thought the same thing.

Christine Pennewell Davis 6 years, 4 months ago

Yep I am with snap and jonas on this one.

jonas 6 years, 4 months ago

Throwing up and passing out, probably.

Gootsie 6 years, 4 months ago

I see they didn't interview any "people of size."

None of it, actually. Unless I can use floaties; a motorcycle; and a car.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 4 months ago

The falling down and gasping for air.

Richard Heckler 6 years, 4 months ago

Watching is a necessary portion of the event. Everyone cannot be a triathlete. Should be an exciting event.

This is one more example of how to improve the lawrence revenue cookie jar using existing resources instead of spending millions upon millions of tax dollars. Lawrence is a great place for cycling activities. June will be fun.

Keep all KU home games at home in Lawrence,Kansas. Like all other cities Lawrence,Kansas needs the revenue.

Why not schedule some art and music festivals downtown on Mass? Meanwhile thanks to all who made this cycling event happen.... the more the merrier.

Pywacket 6 years, 4 months ago

I can swim forever. Not terribly fast, but I can go the distance. Running? Not so much. Don't want to ruin my knees.

I think a better 3-element sport would be:

(1) catch a fish, clean it, and filet it, (2) rollerblade through a grocery store pushing a cart and buying supplies for dinner, (3) build a wood fire in a pit and cook the fish.

Your water bottle would have to be filled with the alcoholic beverage of your choice, so the challenge would increase with your level of inebriation.