Previous   Next

Do you find it difficult to make apologies?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 25, 2007

Browse the archives

“Yes. I think it’s hard to admit your mistakes or admit that you’re wrong.”

“No, I don’t. If I feel like I have a reason to, I don’t have a problem with it at all. I think it’s a sign of strength to be able to realize that you need to make one and follow through with it.”

“Yeah, it’s not the easiest thing in the world to do. It requires a little self-awareness, but I don’t think I have as much trouble with it as a lot of people do.”

“No. I think that being on good terms in a relationship is more important than the difficulty of humbling yourself.”

Comments

rooster 6 years, 4 months ago

cheers to james and leslie for having the courage to do whats right!

Gootsie 6 years, 4 months ago

No problem apologizing. And if I'm wrong (rarely...), I take full responsibility. It's quite freeing, actually, to be responsible for yourself. Then you can control your destiny to a certain point - you don't blame others.

gets off soapbox

Windlass 6 years, 4 months ago

Never. When I do or say a wrong thing, time to apologize. I recognize jest how fallible and unfair I can be...usually from Monday through Sunday, 8 am to, uh, well, nuff said.

lunacydetector 6 years, 4 months ago

a narcissist never says they're sorry.

pace 6 years, 4 months ago

If you don't apologize when you were wrong, you get to be wrong twice. If you have nothing to apologize for you are not doing enough. Failure is a paving stone on the road to success.

igby 6 years, 4 months ago

I think the LJW is trying to hint to Mayor Hack something. Oh well, we already know how shallow it would be anyway.

igby 6 years, 4 months ago

Right_thinker: I did not know the lyrics to that song until now, wow! What a revelation of nothing. Now I know why he stuck a shotgun in his mouth, lol. Hole!

Calliope877 6 years, 4 months ago

Gretchen,

lol Apology accepted.:):)

Calliope877 6 years, 4 months ago

I don't have a problem apologizing. But I do have a problem with people who won't accept an apology. One of my biggest pet peaves is when you sincerely apologize to someone and they're unresponsive -- makes me want to punch them in the face. They should either say they accept it, or say they don't accept it for whatever reason, but I think it shows poor character on behalf of the person receiving the apology to be smug and not say anything at all.

Ceallach 6 years, 4 months ago

I don't recall having a serious problem with it. But then again, it was so long ago I have trouble remembering it.

camper 6 years, 4 months ago

Kansas778. You do make a good point. And you are correct. Believe me, I don't have a corner on the relationship market. When trivial mattters come up, I suppose one should treat them as trivial. My defense mechanism is to simply change the subject rather than argue. However, if it is something signifigant, and you firmly believe you are correct, you should not apologize, thus offering acceptance for something you don't believe is true.

kansas778 6 years, 4 months ago

Camper: "apologizing to avoid conflict shows weakness"

Bad idea. You'll be very unhappy and end up with no friends if you don't say you're sorry every now and then to avoid a fight over something trivial. Learn to pick your battles, and don't worry about being "weak" by apologizing for something for which you don't think you should. Are you really going to be stubborn and argue that you did nothing wrong when you eat the last piece of pumpkin pie at thanksgiving when your girlfriend tells you they always save the last piece of pie in memory of her dead cousin who loved pumpkin pie? No, just say sorry and don't be a jerk because you don't want to look "weak."

camper 6 years, 4 months ago

When one is wrong, apology shows good character. However, apologizing to avoid conflict shows weakness. Lord knows I am guilty of this and in the end you can be taken advantage of if you do so. If you believe you are correct, don't apologize. Forgive instead.

Kathy Getto 6 years, 4 months ago

Made me think about Segal's "Love Story". "Love means never having to say you're sorry." Beautiful, touching story, but what a crock! The only human being who has no reason to say they're sorry is dead.

Saying "I'm sorry" gives a marriage the resiliency to weather both partners' mistakes. Difficult, but truly worth it.

GretchenJP 6 years, 4 months ago

I'm sorry Melisa Freeman didn't bring me any candy after she got out of Penny Annie's.

scott_webb 6 years, 4 months ago

Sometimes... when I screw up multiple times in front of a lot of people and I don't have any excuse...it doesn't help though. I think they still hate me. I was paid to miss helps.

JJE007 6 years, 4 months ago

Blame and excuses are a lot easier than apologies but apologies are a lot better...especially if they come from someone else! I'm sorry but it's true!~) Seriously, apologies are good for the "soul" and part of our lot in life.

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 4 months ago

What else should I be All apologies What else should I say Everyone is gay What else could I write I don't have the right What else should I be All apologies

In the sun In the sun I feel as one In the sun In the sun I'm married, buried

I really wish I was like you Easily amused Find my nest of salt Everything is my fault I'll take all the blame Aqua seafoam shame Sunburn with freezerburn Choking on the ashes of her enemy

In the sun In the sun I feel as one In the sun In the sun I'm married, buried Married, buried Yeah, yeah, yeah, yeah

All in all is all we are

dminear60 6 years, 4 months ago

I thought I was wrong once but I was mistaken.

jonas 6 years, 4 months ago

I'm really sorry, and I hope you take this okay, but no.