Previous   Next

What is the best way to cook a turkey?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 21, 2007

Browse the archives

“Deep fry it. It’s deliciously bad for you. The skin is my favorite part, and it makes it nice and crispy. The meat is also more moist than usual.”

“Roast it in the oven slowly like my grandma does, and baste it with the juices every couple of hours.”

“If you have a smoker, that’s the way to go. It tastes amazing.”

“I’m from the South, so I’m going to say deep fry it.”

Comments

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

We deep fried a turkey for a work party. It tasted wonderful, then I was in the bathroom for the next five hours or so.

Blue: One step at a time. From frozen burritto, try frying an egg. Then spagetti, then Florentine. Then, try your hand at Puffer Fish. It's the best way to cull out the risky cooks early.

deskboy04 7 years, 1 month ago

I would deep fry the turkey but I hear that people have had trouble with fires. Is that true? Just curious.

juscin3 7 years, 1 month ago

I've only cooked our turkey one time. I got some cooking tips from a co-worker and OMGOSH! It was sooooo moist and tender that it fell right off the bone. Hubby was VERY impressed. He didn't think I could pull it off. I done the whole dinner by myself.
I've tried the fried turkey. Brother n law cooked it. I wasn't real fond of it.

Anywho, HAPPY THANKSGIVING EVERYONE!! :)

coolmarv 7 years, 1 month ago

deskboy04 (Anonymous) says:

Only if you use hot oil and a flame is there a risk of fire.

mom_of_three 7 years, 1 month ago

And don't put the deep fryer too close to the house - one of the networks had a special about it last year, and it was scary what some people do.

mom_of_three 7 years, 1 month ago

the best way to cook a turkey is to let my stepdad smoke it. I don't know what he does, but it's about the only turkey my daughters will eat. But he also makes the best ribs and brisket.

Since we are staying home for Thanksgiving, however, I don't know how to cook a turkey, so I cook a ham. And I do pretty well, thank you very much.

blackwalnut 7 years, 1 month ago

Best way to cook a turkey is to be sure you don't read or see anything beforehand about how those turkeys are raised, fed, treated, slaughtered, dressed.

Because after you do, 55 cents a pound doesn't sound quite so cheap any more. And it kind of takes the fun out of it.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 1 month ago

Since the neighbors gave me one of their free range birds, I'll be cooking it today, deboning it, and letting it sit in a pan covered in it's own juices overnight so it will be moist. (Otherwise, we end up with a bird so dry we have to choke it down.) I know that I'm not supposed to cook with plastic, but I like to cook the bird in one of those oven roasting bags. Just something I do because my mom always did it. Yeah, yeah...I know!

toefungus 7 years, 1 month ago

I think of turkeys when I think of our city commission.

PrincessConsuelaBananaHammock 7 years, 1 month ago

I'm trying my hand at turkey for the first time this year. We have the Showtime "set it and forget it" rotissari cooker that we got as a wedding present - I'll be spinning our birdie in there! Not quite traditional I know, but I am NOT a cook and I know when we make chicken in the showtime it stays really moist and has good favor, is very simple, and cleans up easy so I figure a turkey can't be that much different than a great big chicken!! Happy Thanksgiving to All!! And I also am curious to see how our friend Hanibal feels about this question!

Ceallach 7 years, 1 month ago

Another hit for RI!! Sounds good, what time should we be there?

Happy Thanksgiving to all y'all! The link if from 2006 but still applies.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 1 month ago

"Remove the neck and the giblets..." Sounds like Dr. Lecter's advice.

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

"The best way to cook a turkey is to let my stepdad smoke it."

I've heard that one man smoking a whole turkey tends to get the munchies pretty bad.

juscin3 7 years, 1 month ago

Sue, thats how I fixed our first turkey. I used that and cut holes in the bag and kept it moist. It fell off of the bone it was so tender and moist...YUMMY!!!

sunflower_sue 7 years, 1 month ago

My bird is currently in the oven...in it's plastic baggy. Made the cranberry salad, mixed up the rolls, and have all the stuffing ingredients ready. After I make a couple of pies (pumpkin and pecan) I should have nothing left to do today except imbibe with company. Why don't I ever think to clean the fridge in advance?

KU_Dude 7 years, 1 month ago

I'm not sure.

I know the best way to cook a Tiger will be this Saturday night at Arrowhead in front of a national TV audience.

coolmarv 7 years, 1 month ago

I tried to smoke a turkey once. Couldn't keep the darn thing lit though.

deskboy04 7 years, 1 month ago

I am thinking about cooking it in the microwave.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 1 month ago

happy thanksgiving all, and please drive/fly/train/bus/walk/boat/float/kyak/snorkle/crawl safely this long weekend. and remember, a designated friver is a good idea, so grab a mormon as you go.

traditional roast baste in the oven, covered in roaster pan, but turkey must be stuffed full up with cornbread stuffing that's completely loaded with garlic and sage. yes, we know we are risking life and limb eating the stuffing cooked in the bird...but you gotta live dangerously sometimes.

and, if you're deep frying that turkey outside, please don't be my neighbor...fire risk seems high with them thingies.

GretchenJP 7 years, 1 month ago

By not letting me cook it. I burn cereal.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 1 month ago

gnome, Yummy! I want to try your stuffing! (Does that sound bad?) Happy Thanksgiving to you and Mrs. Gnome!

Crossfire 7 years, 1 month ago

Maple and Wild Turkey Bourbon Glazed Wild Turkey

1 cup vegetable oil 2 cups onions, chopped 2 cups maple syrup 2 cups ketchup 4 cups Wild Turkey Whiskey 1/2 cup hot sauce (optional) 1/2 cup mayonnaise 1 wild turkey (bird)

First buy a gallon of Wild Turkey Whiskey then go kill a real turkey. (not one of those nasty frozen fat things) Gut it. Pluck it. Hang it for a couple of days.

1.In large saucepan, heat oil over medium-high heat and cook onion, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes or until golden. 2.Add maple syrup, ketchup, bourbon and hot sauce. Bring to boil; reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes or until sauce is reduced. Remove from heat. 3.Whisk in mayonnaise until smooth. 4.Grill turkey, turning and brushing frequently with mayonnaise mixture. Sip the W-T-Whiskey. Cook until turkey is done and juices run clear. 5.Feed the bird to your family. 6.Go to the garage and drink the rest of the whiskey with your friends. 7.Happy Turkey Day.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 1 month ago

sue, thanks, and happy thanksgiving to you and your brood too. I'll get the recipe from mrs. gnome for you, might take a little time but will get it to you. the stuffing comes out very undry. I like it that way.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 1 month ago

Gnome, I have an aunt that always had to make "stuffing balls" for Thanksgiving. Yes, they were as horrid as they sound. As big as baseballs and just as hard and dry. I really don't know what the hell she was thinking except that her hubby's mommy used to make them, also. (I just would have told him: "I ain't your mommy!")

Happy Thanksgiving ya'll! :):)

bearded_gnome 7 years, 1 month ago

yick!
dry stuffing=menu from HELL!

the way we do the in the bird stuffing, it comes out consistency of mud, good and wet.
happy day to you and yours too.

Crossfire 7 years, 1 month ago

I just killed the Wild Turkey and let all the other wild turkeys go. Still a good day. thank-you.

bearded_gnome 7 years, 1 month ago

hey dots, hope you were only kidding about the fire department!

H_Lecter 7 years, 1 month ago

Alive. You know when they're done because they've stopped screaming.