Previous   Next

Do you pay attention to how much salt is in the food you eat?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 20, 2007

Browse the archives

“No. I usually add more salt before I even taste it. I think I should probably pay more attention to it, though.”

“Yeah, I try to lower my sodium intake because of cholesterol and high blood pressure.”

“Yeah. I pay attention to it, but it’s usually so I can get more salt.”

“No. I like salt a lot. We’re eating Thanksgiving dinner at my father-in-law’s, and they don’t eat any at all. It’s amazing how much you can taste the difference.”

Comments

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 6 years, 4 months ago

I come from a family that suffers from high blood pressure in their older years, so I stopped adding salt, and used garlic instead, a long time ago, and so far so good. That doesn't mean I don't get too much sodium, because I do eat prepared foods, and I'm addicted to Diet Pepsi.

Salt bad - pepper good - garlic best

sdinges 6 years, 4 months ago

I do pay attention to it, but use it in moderation out of habit - my mom was paranoid about cholesterol and it rubbed off.

I sure do hate it when I cook dinner for a guest who dumps salt on the meal before even tasting it. At least be polite and taste it first - after all, I did put the time and effort into cooking for you.

GretchenJP 6 years, 4 months ago

Yes I pay attention to how much salt is in the food I eat. I make sure I have plenty.

Pywacket 6 years, 4 months ago

R_I~ Sounds reasonable to me. A little more salt on that margarita glass, please!

GretchenJP 6 years, 4 months ago

jonas (Anonymous) says:

"We're not that fond of salt. More like pepper people."

I'm a pepper, you're a pepper, she's a pepper, we're a pepper, wouldn't you like to be a pepper too?

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 4 months ago

Py, "I drink in moderation, one glass at a time"?

Pywacket 6 years, 5 months ago

Pace: "and I said no salt, NO salt on the margarita, but it had salt on it, big grains of salt, ...."

Just kidding..

I add salt to just about everything. I have abnormally low blood pressure (can't even give blood), so maybe I crave it. My dad was the same way. As vices go, salt is about my worst one, I guess. I drink, but not much or often. I'm not obese... don't do drugs... So I'll stop eating salt when they pry my Kosher box out of my cold, dead paws.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 5 months ago

JJHawq (Anonymous) says: "I discovered Kosher salt about two years ago - and it is sooooo much eaisier to cook with:" Huh? Easier than shaking?

acg, You make me chuckle! :D

pace 6 years, 5 months ago

I hate how much salt is poured on the food at most restruants. I have tried to order it with less salt or no salt, actually received extra salt twice because of poor communication. I love the steaks at the Long Horn but have almost given up going because of the salt. I ate at Chili's the other day and the alfredo sauce was so salty I ate about a third. A few dishes require salt, such as gravy, french fries, bread, but most can be salted at the table. I know that I am in the minority.

acg 6 years, 5 months ago

I love salt, prob too much. I add it, and tons of pepper to everything that I don't cook myself (only because most people cook too blandly for my tastes). Learned on Martha not long ago that if you're cooking and you accidentally add too much salt to put a few peeled, whole potatoes in the dish for a while because the potatoes will soak up the excess salt. Haven't tested this theory yet, but it came from Martha and she's a freaking genius.

JJHawq 6 years, 5 months ago

I discovered Kosher salt about two years ago - and it is sooooo much eaisier to cook with...

Ceallach 6 years, 5 months ago

I do. When eating out I try to remember to request no added salt. Cutting back on processed foods also helps a lot.

Funny thing is, if you gradually cut out the salt, many foods actually tastes better. I had so adapted to the salt that I wasn't really tasting my veggies. I too use kosher salt when required for cooking.

prospector 6 years, 5 months ago

They tend to discourage me when I wander into the kitchen to find out. Usually I get, "Hey, take that beer back out to the bar buddy!"

So, I leave it up to them.

When I cook, it is the last spice I add when making something. It is hard to take some out if you got a little heavy with it.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 5 months ago

Meat is murder. A little bit of salt helps make it an extra tasty murder.

mom_of_three 6 years, 5 months ago

I use Kosher salt or coarse salt when i cook, and it seems to bring out the flavors more. A little goes a long way.
But I usually add salt on baked potatoes.

sunflower_sue 6 years, 5 months ago

Only when I'm cooking food or when food is either lacking or loaded.
Leave the salt off of my margarita, please. If I want that much sodium...I'll drag my tongue across a salt lick. :P~

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 5 months ago

Can that which is unsavoury be eaten without salt? or is there any taste in the white of an egg? - Job 6:6

Tom Shewmon 6 years, 5 months ago

I lost 20 lbs on Atkins a few years ago (which I've gradually found again), but the diet left me with stronger salt cravings than I used to have---always have liked to pick up the salt shaker---more now. I rationalize it's OK if you plan on sweating it out.

Reality_Check 6 years, 5 months ago

I love salt, but I don't add it to my food very often, mainly because it has so much in it already that it doesn't need any.

I tracked my sodium consumption as part of calorie counting for two weeks last year: Even without adding my own salt, I far exceeded the USDA recommendations EVERY DAY. I even tried not to consume so much, but if you eat much packaged food, you can't help it. And restaurant food? Yikes!

What is the point in having so much salt already in the foods we buy? I am an adult, and I have a salt shaker...I can add my own if it needs it, but I don't like it forced on me. The only way to avoid being over-salted and following the USDA recommendation would be to cook your own food from scratch every meal...NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

You want salt? Check out soup...even the "healthy choice" types have like 40-50% of the USDA daily recommendations per serving. And soup in restaurants is ALWAYS so salty that I usually don't order it anymore.

H_Lecter 6 years, 5 months ago

I like to think that what I'm eating hasn't eaten too much salt.

I don't need salt just pepper

JJE007 6 years, 5 months ago

I rarely add salt but I eat a TON and I like it. My pard pours is on. She doesn't have to worry about high blood pressure. I wonder what other problems it causes...but not enough to look it up!~)

The_Original_Bob 6 years, 5 months ago

I stick with pork rinds and bacon. The other white meat is very healthy.

juscin3 6 years, 5 months ago

I'm the same way as Molly and Blue. My hubby is the same as Jonas.

jonas 6 years, 5 months ago

We're not that fond of salt. More like pepper people.

blue73harley 6 years, 5 months ago

I do the same thing Molly does, add salt before I even dig in.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 5 months ago

No, but I definitely pay attention to how much I like the taste of my food.