Previous   Next

Do you pay attention to how much salt is in the food you eat?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 20, 2007

Browse the archives

“No. I usually add more salt before I even taste it. I think I should probably pay more attention to it, though.”

“Yeah, I try to lower my sodium intake because of cholesterol and high blood pressure.”

“Yeah. I pay attention to it, but it’s usually so I can get more salt.”

“No. I like salt a lot. We’re eating Thanksgiving dinner at my father-in-law’s, and they don’t eat any at all. It’s amazing how much you can taste the difference.”

Comments

sdinges 7 years ago

I do pay attention to it, but use it in moderation out of habit - my mom was paranoid about cholesterol and it rubbed off.

I sure do hate it when I cook dinner for a guest who dumps salt on the meal before even tasting it. At least be polite and taste it first - after all, I did put the time and effort into cooking for you.

jonas 7 years, 1 month ago

We're not that fond of salt. More like pepper people.

juscin3 7 years, 1 month ago

I'm the same way as Molly and Blue. My hubby is the same as Jonas.

H_Lecter 7 years, 1 month ago

I like to think that what I'm eating hasn't eaten too much salt.

I don't need salt just pepper

sgtwolverine 7 years, 1 month ago

No, but I definitely pay attention to how much I like the taste of my food.

Frederic Gutknecht IV 7 years, 1 month ago

I rarely add salt but I eat a TON and I like it. My pard pours is on. She doesn't have to worry about high blood pressure. I wonder what other problems it causes...but not enough to look it up!~)

sunflower_sue 7 years, 1 month ago

Only when I'm cooking food or when food is either lacking or loaded.
Leave the salt off of my margarita, please. If I want that much sodium...I'll drag my tongue across a salt lick. :P~

mom_of_three 7 years, 1 month ago

I use Kosher salt or coarse salt when i cook, and it seems to bring out the flavors more. A little goes a long way.
But I usually add salt on baked potatoes.

Flap Doodle 7 years, 1 month ago

Meat is murder. A little bit of salt helps make it an extra tasty murder.

Ceallach 7 years, 1 month ago

I do. When eating out I try to remember to request no added salt. Cutting back on processed foods also helps a lot.

Funny thing is, if you gradually cut out the salt, many foods actually tastes better. I had so adapted to the salt that I wasn't really tasting my veggies. I too use kosher salt when required for cooking.

JJHawq 7 years, 1 month ago

I discovered Kosher salt about two years ago - and it is sooooo much eaisier to cook with...

acg 7 years, 1 month ago

I love salt, prob too much. I add it, and tons of pepper to everything that I don't cook myself (only because most people cook too blandly for my tastes). Learned on Martha not long ago that if you're cooking and you accidentally add too much salt to put a few peeled, whole potatoes in the dish for a while because the potatoes will soak up the excess salt. Haven't tested this theory yet, but it came from Martha and she's a freaking genius.

pace 7 years, 1 month ago

I hate how much salt is poured on the food at most restruants. I have tried to order it with less salt or no salt, actually received extra salt twice because of poor communication. I love the steaks at the Long Horn but have almost given up going because of the salt. I ate at Chili's the other day and the alfredo sauce was so salty I ate about a third. A few dishes require salt, such as gravy, french fries, bread, but most can be salted at the table. I know that I am in the minority.

sunflower_sue 7 years, 1 month ago

JJHawq (Anonymous) says: "I discovered Kosher salt about two years ago - and it is sooooo much eaisier to cook with:" Huh? Easier than shaking?

acg, You make me chuckle! :D

GretchenJP 7 years ago

jonas (Anonymous) says:

"We're not that fond of salt. More like pepper people."

I'm a pepper, you're a pepper, she's a pepper, we're a pepper, wouldn't you like to be a pepper too?

GretchenJP 7 years ago

Yes I pay attention to how much salt is in the food I eat. I make sure I have plenty.

Dorothy Hoyt-Reed 7 years ago

I come from a family that suffers from high blood pressure in their older years, so I stopped adding salt, and used garlic instead, a long time ago, and so far so good. That doesn't mean I don't get too much sodium, because I do eat prepared foods, and I'm addicted to Diet Pepsi.

Salt bad - pepper good - garlic best