Previous   Next

What are you reading?

Browse the archives

“Right now I’m reading ‘Helen of Troy,’ by Margaret George. It’s a historical fiction told in the first person. It’s very well-researched - the kind of book where you can learn a lot while being entertained.”

“I just finished ‘Ancient Rome,’ by Matthew Dillon. It’s a discourse on the early republic of Rome. It has a lot of information about the politics involved.”

“I’m reading a copy of ‘Anne of Green Gables,’ by L.M. Montgomery, that I found at an antique store. It’s a nice big book with three of her stories in it. It’s really fun and interesting to read books that are set in that time period.”

Nureyev: The Life,’ by Julie Kavanagh. He was a famous ballet dancer from Russia who defected during the Cold War.”

Mercy, Mercy Me,’ by Michael Eric Dyson. It’s a biography of Marvin Gaye. He went through a lot of rough times growing up and was somewhat of a tortured artist. It gave me a much deeper appreciation of his work.”

Comments

andrewroufayo 6 years, 2 months ago

So I just came across this link,and I realize that most likely no one that posted on it will actually see this...but still-"yo yo yo andrew roufa"?Are you serious?"Good one gretchen"?i fully realize that i'm in a town of indie rock scensters/hipsters,aging hippies,and pretentious pseudo-intellectuals-but the reactions some people have to hip hop artists is really somewhat disturbing....I also think comments like that,whether meant to be funny or not,show a really strong undercurrent of racism. Here's to long country drives in the oldsmobile with the wife and the soothing sounds of npr.American life indeed.-Andrew Roufa (Adru the Misphit)

Pywacket 6 years, 5 months ago

Haha--good one, Gretchen.

Sort of off subject, but does anyone here listen to This American Life on NPR? (Slice-of-life stories, many of which are gut-bustingly funny..) They have compiled some of the best ones and released them on CDs, which we like to listen to in the car. David Sedaris, Sarah Vowell, and lots of other very funny storytellers..

David Sedaris has also written several books that are a stitch. Particularly his stories about his very dysfunctional family have that quality of "horrifyingly fascinating" that makes it hard to put the book down.

ThatGirl 6 years, 5 months ago

"Good In Bed" by Jennifer Weiner. Not at all what it sounds like, but one of the funniest books I have read in some time!

Pywacket 6 years, 5 months ago

I hated Angela's Ashes. I wished the ignorant parents were still alive so I could b****slap the both of them, then frogmarch them to get neutered so they wouldn't produce any more kids they would then allow to die. How's that for a compassionate liberal? Hahahahaha

Sorry.. I'm usually more understanding, but that one was just unrelentingly depressing and filled with bad decisions. I'm sure the mother, at least, was suffering from chronic depression (how could she NOT be, married to that drunken sot?) but after awhile, enough is enough. It's amazing any of their kids grew up.

If you get too depressed reading it, Artichoke, turn here for some cheap laughter:

Non-PC warning! I found this on a list of Top-10 Funniest Sites the other day. The first page is updated every day--and you could also spend waaay too much time going through the archives.

Best good book I read lately was "Last Orders" by Graham Swift. I would recommend it very highly. Funny, thoughtful, sad.. a few surprises up its sleeve... and very well written.

ndmoderate 6 years, 5 months ago

"The Radicalism of the American Revolution" by Gordon S. Wood. Pulitzer Prize winner. So far, an outstanding read!

Amy Heeter 6 years, 5 months ago

Thanks I just read a little last night but realy thought it began well. I will check out the other one too.

acg 6 years, 5 months ago

Yes artichoke I've read Angela's Ashes. I, personally, found it to be depressing but thought provoking. There was so much wide spread poverty and despair in those times that it was a hard read (well I read it when I was pregnant and was crying at everything so that probably had a lot to do with how long it took me to get thru it.) If you like Angela's Ashes, let me recommend something as thought provoking but a little less depressing, House of Sand and Fog. That was an amazing story. Sucked me in from the first page and never let go.

Amy Heeter 6 years, 5 months ago

I just started reding Angela's Ashes. I was given this as a gift and told it is an amazing book. Anyone read it yet?

Marion Lynn 6 years, 5 months ago

Preebo:

Have you read "Basket Case"?

preebo 6 years, 5 months ago

Skinny Dip by Carl Haaison. I usually don't read much fiction, but this one is pretty good.

Peaty 6 years, 5 months ago

I started the Harry Potter series a few weeks ago. Partly so I could discuss the books with the kids, they seem to like them so much. Well I'm on the last one now and have to say I'm enjoying them a lot more than I expected.

acg 6 years, 5 months ago

Memnoch the Devil, by Anne Rice. It's pretty good. Has a great take on creation, God and his relationship with Satan and how and why man came to be. And then of course, it's Anne Rice, so there are vampires, which is pretty cool.

ChristmasCarol 6 years, 5 months ago

The instruction manual to my new X-box and the video games that come with it.

Do any of you know which language this is on the third page?

bearded_gnome 6 years, 5 months ago

uncle tom's cabin. very interesting so far! stowe was obviously a unique writer.