Previous   Next

What are you reading?

Browse the archives

“Right now I’m reading ‘Helen of Troy,’ by Margaret George. It’s a historical fiction told in the first person. It’s very well-researched - the kind of book where you can learn a lot while being entertained.”

“I just finished ‘Ancient Rome,’ by Matthew Dillon. It’s a discourse on the early republic of Rome. It has a lot of information about the politics involved.”

“I’m reading a copy of ‘Anne of Green Gables,’ by L.M. Montgomery, that I found at an antique store. It’s a nice big book with three of her stories in it. It’s really fun and interesting to read books that are set in that time period.”

Nureyev: The Life,’ by Julie Kavanagh. He was a famous ballet dancer from Russia who defected during the Cold War.”

Mercy, Mercy Me,’ by Michael Eric Dyson. It’s a biography of Marvin Gaye. He went through a lot of rough times growing up and was somewhat of a tortured artist. It gave me a much deeper appreciation of his work.”

Comments

bearded_gnome 7 years, 1 month ago

uncle tom's cabin. very interesting so far! stowe was obviously a unique writer.

acg 7 years, 1 month ago

Memnoch the Devil, by Anne Rice. It's pretty good. Has a great take on creation, God and his relationship with Satan and how and why man came to be. And then of course, it's Anne Rice, so there are vampires, which is pretty cool.

Peaty Romano 7 years, 1 month ago

I started the Harry Potter series a few weeks ago. Partly so I could discuss the books with the kids, they seem to like them so much. Well I'm on the last one now and have to say I'm enjoying them a lot more than I expected.

preebo 7 years, 1 month ago

Skinny Dip by Carl Haaison. I usually don't read much fiction, but this one is pretty good.

Amy Heeter 7 years, 1 month ago

I just started reding Angela's Ashes. I was given this as a gift and told it is an amazing book. Anyone read it yet?

acg 7 years, 1 month ago

Yes artichoke I've read Angela's Ashes. I, personally, found it to be depressing but thought provoking. There was so much wide spread poverty and despair in those times that it was a hard read (well I read it when I was pregnant and was crying at everything so that probably had a lot to do with how long it took me to get thru it.) If you like Angela's Ashes, let me recommend something as thought provoking but a little less depressing, House of Sand and Fog. That was an amazing story. Sucked me in from the first page and never let go.

Amy Heeter 7 years, 1 month ago

Thanks I just read a little last night but realy thought it began well. I will check out the other one too.

ndmoderate 7 years, 1 month ago

"The Radicalism of the American Revolution" by Gordon S. Wood. Pulitzer Prize winner. So far, an outstanding read!

andrewroufayo 6 years, 10 months ago

So I just came across this link,and I realize that most likely no one that posted on it will actually see this...but still-"yo yo yo andrew roufa"?Are you serious?"Good one gretchen"?i fully realize that i'm in a town of indie rock scensters/hipsters,aging hippies,and pretentious pseudo-intellectuals-but the reactions some people have to hip hop artists is really somewhat disturbing....I also think comments like that,whether meant to be funny or not,show a really strong undercurrent of racism. Here's to long country drives in the oldsmobile with the wife and the soothing sounds of npr.American life indeed.-Andrew Roufa (Adru the Misphit)