Previous   Next

Do you think there is any skill involved in playing rock, paper, scissors?

Asked at Massachusetts Street on November 16, 2007

Browse the archives

“Yes. That’s how we decide who serves first in practice, and I know people who are great at it. So there must be something to it.”

“Yes. It is a game of random chance to a degree, but psychology becomes an increasing factor starting with the second game played with the same opponent. And it is a psychological fact that most men will choose rock on the first try.”

“Yes. If you can read people well, you can sometimes tell what they’re going to throw. Some people just don’t have a rock, paper, scissors face.”

“Yeah, there is definitely a good amount of psychology involved. Like when you both throw the same thing, are they going to keep it the same or change it? It’s all about reading your opponent.”

Comments

igby 6 years, 5 months ago

Stone age game, been around for thousands of years.

It use to be called Rock, fire, stick.

Rock beats stick stick beats fire or does fire burn stick, oh well what the muck. Fire beats rock.

I'm sure who ever won was the guy with the biggest club.

Yab ah dab ah doo.

blue73harley 6 years, 5 months ago

Dang, I guess I am going to have to re-think replacing my well-worn conventional Escape with a Hybrid model. Seems they have fallen out of favor at gaywheels.com. Here are the current top 10.

1. Toyota Yaris
  2. Saab 9-3
  3. Mazda MX-5
  4. VW Rabbit
  5. VW EOS
  6. Audi A3
  7. Dodge Caliber
  8. Volkswagen Jetta 9.Toyota Camry
  9. Infiniti FX

jonas 6 years, 5 months ago

That would be a negative. I do drive a 2001 Celica, which is kind of a chick car, but it came with the wife.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 5 months ago

jonas, By chance do you drive an Escape Hybrid?

jonas 6 years, 5 months ago

"And it is a psychological fact that most men will choose rock on the first try." Robert Meyers, commercial real estate, Lawrence

You know, when I think about it I think I usually lead with scissors. I guess I shouldn't play men.

sgtwolverine 6 years, 5 months ago

Hey, my family has always been ahead of the curve.

Also, because that story might start to make sense in this context, Flint is one of the most run down and economically depressed cities in Michigan. And it's the hometown of Michael Moore.

blue73harley 6 years, 5 months ago

Speakiing of fascinating...I didn't know that Sgt. Wolverine's family was originally from Missouri...

;-)

Mr_Ramirez 6 years, 5 months ago

Fascinating posts...........................

sunflower_sue 6 years, 5 months ago

I have added the KS twister to RPS. This skill involves putting an elbow on your "base" hand and turning your forearm in a circular motion. The tornado beats everything. Game over! (it is even more effective if you make a loud 'wind' sound while executing this move.)

b3 6 years, 5 months ago

About as much skill as it takes to vote democrat, hence no, there isnt any skill involved.

coolmom 6 years, 5 months ago

wow, gross lol. thanks for my first laugh of the day. it was like hanging around with my sons wrestling team lol. happy friday!

GretchenJP 6 years, 5 months ago

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit. That takes skill too, btw!

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 5 months ago

There is definitely skill in flicking boogers. You have to roll them around in your fingers just long enough that they have elasticity thus giving them extra bounce from the flick, and they have to be just sticky enough that they optimize on the elasticity without sticking too much.

Jonathan Allison 6 years, 5 months ago

Is the ear candle cheating because it uses heat to melt the wax and suction to fluidize the wax? It's really an engineered advantage...

GretchenJP 6 years, 5 months ago

In today's news... tips on pulling out your gooey-ist boogers and the skill it takes to flick them across the room. Film at 11.

Celeste 6 years, 5 months ago

LOL Yeah, I know a guy that dug too deep and burst his eardrum doing that...so I'd say there's some skill involved!

craigers 6 years, 5 months ago

Maybe next Friday's question should be: Is there any skill involved in digging out your earwax and what tools do you use?

Paperclip, pen, bobby pin, finger, etc.

jonas 6 years, 5 months ago

Gretchen: Depends on how much, and how far in it is.

GretchenJP 6 years, 5 months ago

I don't know, do you think there's any skill involved digging out your earwax?

enochville 6 years, 5 months ago

Yeah, I think there is skill involved in reading other people.

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 5 months ago

I think it takes more skill to play opinion, data, perception.

Data covers the opinion, perceptions cut the data, and opinion smashes the perception.

Chris Golledge 6 years, 5 months ago

Yeap, it's all about getting one step ahead of your opponent after the first toss. How fast are they thinking? One step ahead; two steps ahead, three? How fast do they think you are thinking? If there is a lot of time between tosses, then it becomes more random, but in games where the tosses come quickly, quicker thinkers dominate.

Flap Doodle 6 years, 5 months ago

R_I, them there letters move around before the coffee kicks in. NSFW is what my brain was thinking.

trinity 6 years, 5 months ago

lordie i guess i've led a sheltered life; never did play RPS, and have no idea the rules, "scoring", etc. sigh deprived, much. ;)

RETICENT_IRREVERENT 6 years, 5 months ago

snap, NSWF?
Naval Special Warfare Foundation? Do they play an extreme game of RPS with special language? http://www.umop.com/images/rps25.jpg

jonas 6 years, 5 months ago

Frequently, people react on the next game, assuming draw, by trying to beat what was thrown in the previous game. If you can react quickly enough, then you can get them then.

blue73harley 6 years, 5 months ago

Only if you use an actual rock. This tends to give you an advantage.

Crossfire 6 years, 5 months ago

So far RPS is one of the few sports free of scandal. Rock on RPSers.